Rexxie

Heaviums - What is Love?

I have a huge crush on heaviums. Mostly on the heavy side of things; tanks like the WZ-111 1-4 give me wet dreams, but mediums that can pull it off also get a big kiss.

It wasn't until this last month or so that I've really started to notice how much I adore these tanks though. Not just because I like playing them, but because they are so good. Not just good, but they completely mop the floor with every other tank in the game. When I load into a match in one of these things, the entire game just goes to easymode and I giggle my way to yet another 4k damage victory. I don't think this is normal; I know many players have a lot of respect for these vehicles, but not to my extent. You won't hear "the IS-8 is one of the best T9s in the game" from basically anyone, but here I am telling you it's better than anything that isn't a WZ-111 1-4 or E-50... two other heaviums.

I really just want to know why these tanks click so damn hard with me. Not for the ego stroke, but because I'm frustrated that I can't tell why these tanks are so godlike yet other, more traditional "overpowered" tanks are forgettable. I want to get the kind of performance I can with them in any tank. What am I doing so right in these tanks that isn't translating to any other tank type?

If nothing else, I'd like to advocate heaviums. Even bad heaviums are better than almost any other tank, so go play them.

Because you're good enough to do well in mediums (see previous thread on unicums overwhelmingly rating mediums highest). Now add more HP and armour and a bigger boomstick.

Also: get a 121, you'll love it.

Here's a heavium that will probably get rid of your huge crush on them. Or at least diminish it.

VK 45.02 A.

I drove it, and I kind of liked it, but it wasn't too good at a lot of things.

Then again, look at my stats. Do you trust my word? :P

I actually went to sleep last night thinking about your post about hating everything that isn't a heavium. I'm posting from my phone so this won't be as good as it could be.

The reason you love the heavium (and it's the same reason I do and @cowboyofbebop and @Vetro and @Luna etc) is because you're not sacrificing any general performance for any specific attributes. There is a threshold level of protection mobility and firepower that heaviums meet in each category, that other archetypes trade on. Autoloaders trade protection, bricks trade mobility, etc. 

So I postulate that when you've reached a certain level of skill ( which you have ) than anything else seems limiting and is suboptimal because your brain knows what you need to do in any given situation, but unless you're driving a heavium you're not guaranteed to be able to execute because of vehicle limits.

I've thought long about why so many unica like and succeed in the E50 ( remember when Garbad analyzed all the 70%+ players and it was the vehicle most common among them? ) and this is basically what I came up with. Plus I have a compilation of Luna's various reasons for rage quitting platoon, mostly which cite whatever vehicle he was just driving for its failures.

You won't hear "the IS-8 is one of the best T9s in the game" from basically anyone, but here I am telling you it's better than anything that isn't a WZ-111 1-4 or E-50... two other heaviums.

I've been saying this for over two years. The IS-8 is my favourite tier nine although I'm only at the 110 on the Chinese line atm. I have high hopes for the Weezy.

Why I think they work as a psedo class.

Mobility.

You can react to how the game is changing far more easily in a heavium than in something like the E-75 or even the ST-I. Once you commit to a flank in a traditional heavy you have almost always irrevocably committed yourself to that flank. In a heavium you're almost as flexible as a true medium except you have something a med doesn't.

A big fuck off gun.

The T-54 gets 320 alpha every 8 or so seconds. It adds up but it's not as intimidating as 440 alpha every 10.5 seconds and it's a significantly better dpm machine than the E75 at 490 alpha every 3 fucking years (Full disclosure. I have issues with the E-75's gun. It's just so fucking.... average at everything except alpha.) and with glorious Russian Bias it can reliably snapshot shit. Coupled with pretty damn amazeballs pen (for a 122) and a HEAT round that isn't needed all that often when you do get to a flank you can scare most mediums off and put big holes in heavies that underestimate you. The same can be said for other heaviums such as the WZ 120 (The gun is trolly as shit but when it works my god can you have some good games) the E50 and even the FCM in the hands of a good heavium driver.

Actual kind of sort of armour

While not as armoured as your traditional heavies you will still bounce badly aimed/rushed/RNJesus shots and/or heavium used 'hide LFP' the average pubbie will still have fits trying to pen you reliably.

They're not a class for everyone and they have a much higher skill floor than both mediums and heavies but the benefit of this is that when you become consistently competent in them you're in the top 3 or 4% in the game.

Edit: Crab basically ninja'd me

I don't play anywhere near the level I did pre 9.0 before my first extended absence from tonks but I agree with everything he said regarding other vehicles abilities to carry a game. You are far more likely to be able to carry consistently in tanks that aren't gimped by balance factors.

Type59 best heavium :doge:

Object 260 would like to have a word with you...

Also, the AMX M4 mle. 45 combines the best aspects of both heavy and medium.

It hits like a medium while also having medium-grade armor but it combines that with super-heavy-like mobility and bloomvalues like a 122mm gun.

Object 260 would like to have a word with you...

Also, the AMX M4 mle. 45 combines the best aspects of both heavy and medium.

It hits like a medium while also having medium-grade armor but it combines that with super-heavy-like mobility and bloomvalues like a 122mm gun.

Wut, it has 7.9 sec rld for 330 dmg, it totally outguns anything on tier 7, except a tiger (it has a better gun as T32 or Vk-A, but a tier lower, GG)

Trow in decent mobility and good gun depression with atleast enough armor to bounce low tier trash, and its an very solid tank

@topic:

yes, heaviums are guud, there however 2 groups here, those that work and those that are worthless ghetto tanks, in the good team, its tanks like E50, T54, Wz-111111-4, IS7, E5, tanks like Wz-120 and Cent mk7 are not that heavy armored, but they are also not real mediums, so can also be included, however others are just worthless, Vk-A is a total potato tank, Caern is a turdmobile, IS8 is crappy, 113 is the worst tier 10 tank (except perhaps Jp-E100, howgod, playing that a few times made me realize how much i hate it).

So it still depends on the tank, Caern simply lacks dpm for the medium part, and alpha for the heavy part, while IS8, VK-A and 113 simply lack soft stats / gun depression to be good, 113 needs -5 gun dep, 150mm UFP armor and a small mobility buff, VK-A needs -8 gun dep and better aim time, while IS8 needs a better gun (acc / bloom are both rubbish)

Wut, it has 7.9 sec rld for 330 dmg, it totally outguns anything on tier 7, except a tiger (it has a better gun as T32 or Vk-A, but a tier lower, GG)

Trow in decent mobility and good gun depression with atleast enough armor to bounce low tier trash, and its an very solid tank

Only if you decide to use the 105mm gun and decide to spam gold, as for the mobility you must be drunk if you call that thing mobile, it isnt super slow but it barely outruns a T29.

The gun isn´t nowhere near as good as to justify the lack of any form of armor or mobility.

Only if you decide to use the 105mm gun and decide to spam gold, as for the mobility you must be drunk if you call that thing mobile, it isnt super slow but it barely outruns a T29.

The gun isn´t nowhere near as good as to justify the lack of any form of armor or mobility.

With full apcr spam it has by far the best t7 gun, its like T29 gun (worse aim time, better accuracy) with 10 more alpha dmg and significant faster rof (6,25 vs 5,26 rpm), it can gun down anything in 1vs1, the only problem is getting in a position where you can actually use this dpm, but once you can, its OP (and otherwise it still has good alpha dmg / pen so it still works)

ps: but thats with full gold spam, something IS also needs to be relevant, since it has no armor, no accuracy and shit pen, and all people advocating for T29 with 90mm also have to shoot close to full gold, for the exact same reason) 

Heaviums are a fav of mine too. 113 is a really fun tank, though I wish it had one more degree of depression to further separate it from the 121 (Has -4 as of now). and maybe a bit better UFP and LFP armor.

Meavies is great term. Currently in a love hate relationship with my T54, thinking about posting some replays. I'm not doing well in the tank and can't win in it so its shelved for time being. Instead grinding for E50. RIP panther soooo bad. The guns nice but the alpha feels so anemic.