Valachio

Conqueror OP

First thread necro for 2020 (at least where I am)! The Christmas bonuses are great for completing grinds, and I have a lot of time on my hands during this period of time, so why the heck not.

Anyway, the Conqueror in 2019 (which is when I did most of this grind) for an average player. Yes, it's still really awesome, and to be honest, this is probably how you balance a heavy tank properly. It has clear strengths: the awesome gun, with great penetration on standard rounds, a good gold round, good gun handling gun depression, great DPM, plus a turret that stands up to anything except tier-10 tank destroyer gold or those odd shots that nail the commander's hatch dead on (although those are rare). It also has decent enough mobility, enough hull armour to troll lower tier (and occasionally same tier) tanks, and can also sidescrape pretty darned well. It then has clear weaknesses too, with a lower plate that is still capable of being penned by lower tiers, paper side and rear and poor traverse which makes it vulnerable to being flanked. Also, it has a fat ass so arty will make you its b*tch.

A comment about the stock grind: it's pretty painful. The stock gun (top gun on the Cearn), while awesome a tier below, really shows it's limitations a tier higher, despite a further boost to its already ridiculous DPM, due to its lack of alpha and penetration against the greater number of super-heavies that you have to fight a tier higher. The lack of alpha just means that you lack holding power and deterrence, especially when your team is relying on you to anchor a flank. At times it will work pretty well, but other times you'll feel its limitations.

220 games to finish the grind. Only a 51.35% win rate, which is disappointing for me, although some of that is due to struggling to repair the win-rate (46% at one stage) during the stock grind. 2,019 PDG with 600 assist, which is on the low side but it's still increasing and actually isn't too far away from 2-mark (which I find pretty surprising). I'm likely going to keep playing it for a while, and the DPG is going up still, so yeah.

Definitely a keeper, it's good fun.

6 hours ago, Balthazars said:

First thread necro for 2020 (at least where I am)! The Christmas bonuses are great for completing grinds, and I have a lot of time on my hands during this period of time, so why the heck not.

Anyway, the Conqueror in 2019 (which is when I did most of this grind) for an average player. Yes, it's still really awesome, and to be honest, this is probably how you balance a heavy tank properly. It has clear strengths: the awesome gun, with great penetration on standard rounds, a good gold round, good gun handling gun depression, great DPM, plus a turret that stands up to anything except tier-10 tank destroyer gold or those odd shots that nail the commander's hatch dead on (although those are rare). It also has decent enough mobility, enough hull armour to troll lower tier (and occasionally same tier) tanks, and can also sidescrape pretty darned well. It then has clear weaknesses too, with a lower plate that is still capable of being penned by lower tiers, paper side and rear and poor traverse which makes it vulnerable to being flanked. Also, it has a fat ass so arty will make you its b*tch.

A comment about the stock grind: it's pretty painful. The stock gun (top gun on the Cearn), while awesome a tier below, really shows it's limitations a tier higher, despite a further boost to its already ridiculous DPM, due to its lack of alpha and penetration against the greater number of super-heavies that you have to fight a tier higher. The lack of alpha just means that you lack holding power and deterrence, especially when your team is relying on you to anchor a flank. At times it will work pretty well, but other times you'll feel its limitations.

220 games to finish the grind. Only a 51.35% win rate, which is disappointing for me, although some of that is due to struggling to repair the win-rate (46% at one stage) during the stock grind. 2,019 PDG with 600 assist, which is on the low side but it's still increasing and actually isn't too far away from 2-mark (which I find pretty surprising). I'm likely going to keep playing it for a while, and the DPG is going up still, so yeah.

Definitely a keeper, it's good fun.

IMO the conqs single greatest weakness is when you have to be the heavy and arty exists. Everything else can be played around with the combination of VR, armour, gun, gun dep, APCR which is simply sublime.

Personally enjoyed the Mle 51 a lot more because the Mle could at least flex well enough to not get completely shat on by artillery - at the expense of getting cheesed by the now ubiquitous 340 pen HEAT. Still enjoy the Mle 51 a lot more with something like a 2.3-2.4k DPG compared to the 2k on the Conq. It doesn't help that with the Conq's speed you pretty much lose out on the first shot advantage on a lot of early game positions while also becoming a lot more vulnerable between positions.

Don't get me wrong, the gun is extremely reliable and the platform is pretty good. But tbh I would trade gun dep and armour for speed - say in the 37/38 range and non retarded reverse gears - i.e. what the Mle 51 is.

2 hours ago, lavawing said:

IMO the conqs single greatest weakness is when you have to be the heavy and arty exists. Everything else can be played around with the combination of VR, armour, gun, gun dep, APCR which is simply sublime.

Personally enjoyed the Mle 51 a lot more because the Mle could at least flex well enough to not get completely shat on by artillery - at the expense of getting cheesed by the now ubiquitous 340 pen HEAT. Still enjoy the Mle 51 a lot more with something like a 2.3-2.4k DPG compared to the 2k on the Conq. It doesn't help that with the Conq's speed you pretty much lose out on the first shot advantage on a lot of early game positions while also becoming a lot more vulnerable between positions.

Don't get me wrong, the gun is extremely reliable and the platform is pretty good. But tbh I would trade gun dep and armour for speed - say in the 37/38 range and non retarded reverse gears - i.e. what the Mle 51 is.

I've not played the Mle 51 so can't really compare, but I don't really disagree with anything you've said. Personally I have definitely been caught out trying to relocate or get to a position that you're just a little too slow (or other tanks on the enemy team are just a little too quick) to actually arrive at safely, so I agree that the speed is probably it's biggest limiting factor. It has to get to a particular location safely, and because of its speed, that can sometimes depend on the line-ups.

It's also true that arty absolutely craps all over this tank when you're trying to anchor a flank, although to be fair that's true of pretty much any tank, although the Conq obviously suffers more due to its thin armour and huge ass.

I think your comment about it needing to be 'the heavy' in the team also really shows when trying to use the stock gun, because not only do you have to then deal with the two issues highlighted above, you then also have to deal with weak penetration and bad alpha, which I think is a big part of the struggle with the stock grind.

I still find it a lot of fun to play though.