Sign in to follow this  
Never

Speed vs. Alpha - WoTLabs TV

Nice intro!

Maybe consider having the game in vanilla while doing replays? There are so many mods that is distracting me and moving focus away from the gameplay and commentary.

Also, this is more of a personal preference, but you had a few moments of no talk or where you just said something ala "now he moves to the town", "now he shoots the jagzilla" which is a bit boring. It got a lot better near the end when stuff actually happened. Maybe it is just the curse of having a stale replay in the beginning. You could've used that time to explain about the tank, the map or whatever. Just some little tips/unicum thoughts while nothing was happening. Just a suggestion, mind. It is not deadly needed and could be a personal preference thing :3

Also, I didn't really feel that this replay showed "purple play". It was not bad at all, just quite standard. He just sat and shot a lot but didn't really do any fancy manouvres or stuff like that. I dont know your intentions with the channel though, so this is just an observation. :)

EDIT: Nice outro. Forgot to mention that.

Thanks for the feedback Water!

That's something I've been thinking about too. I'll probably switch over to vanilla for the next ones.
Also will definitely look into adding useful info during the slower times!

About the purple play thing, I agree that the replay was fairly standard. Biggest problem in selecting replays for a YT video is that, besides being good, the game also has to be entertaining to watch. A replay might be highly educational, but not have a lot of entertainment value. The key is to find a balance. As for the intentions with the channel, it goes with the old "entertain and inform" thing.

Love the video Never! Was just wondering if I could trouble you for a download link for the reticle mod you were using. Thanks!

I use Solo's Modpack, it has a bunch of different options in an installer, it's pretty awesome!

I agree with Water. More skillful games provides more interesting commentary. People can already go to Jingles to watch him commentate on a fun game but very little about how to improve. Jingles can train players to green but not much further. QB is super uni but he is only one player and not the best by a long shot. Since Wotlabs is all about improvement, it should take an angle that targets players who want to improve past green and beyond.

I believe the channel can succeed. The channel is stylish and the commentator has a good projecting voice. The one strength that nobody else but WotLabs has is a large collection of top level players, a lot of whom would like to help. You probably are putting the video on wotlabs front page right now and that's good. Capitalize on what already exists.

btw I want to volunteer as a scriptwriter / replay submitter.

Edit: Show Featured player's and script writer's 4 box stats in outtro

Thanks for the feedback Water!

About the purple play thing, I agree that the replay was fairly standard. Biggest problem in selecting replays for a YT video is that, besides being good, the game also has to be entertaining to watch. A replay might be highly educational, but not have a lot of entertainment value. The key is to find a balance. As for the intentions with the channel, it goes with the old "entertain and inform" thing.

Funny you should say that, because I will admit that I didn't find this game particularly entertaining besides the brief engagement in the town. The player just sat and sniped his way to 10k damage without really doing much else. No fancy flanking, platoon team work, clever use of "purple" positions, use of tank knowledge or anything like that. It was just WWW, Lclick, Lclick and repeat. 

I am not trying to shoot down your project btw. I am just providing my feedback and views on it. :P 

Feel free to send some replays my way and I will also give them some feedback and whether I think they could be used for YouTube or not.

Really high quality video, great intro, I enjoyed the commentary, pleasant and relaxed voice recorded with a good mic (some static at one point, but I can live with that).
GJ, looking forward for more! 

Thanks Britzz! At which point was the static? Really shouldn't have happened...

@11:05 ish
Really minor problem in my opinion, though ;) I only thought you might want to know for the next time if it bothers you

Maybe consider having the game in vanilla while doing replays? There are so many mods that is distracting me and moving focus away from the gameplay and commentary.

What about something like this? (Shameless self-promotion)

JZTtnys.jpg

I personally think that the spotted/not yet spotted icons are needed for interesting commentary. It gives the commentator the option so say things like "At this point tanks X, Y and Z have not yet been spotted at this point, There are a few option for the player to do right now, like A. However he chose B, because that probably gives him advantage B".

HP bars can also be useful because then the watcher doesn't have to memorize things like that. He's watching a video, not playing a game. He's probably not even paying attention to things like that.

Circles might be handy as well, to explain things like a spotting position.

Mods in above screenshot:

• Own and enemy HP bars
  • Visible right now/has been spotted, not visible/unspotted icon
  • Simple damage log giving the total damage and total damage per enemy tank
  • Render distance on minimap
  • Max viewrange circle on minimap
  • Actual viewrangecircle on minimap

I tried to make everything to fit neatly into the game, without numbers, colours and shit being shoved into your face.

I second using vanilla + a simple dmg counter.

+1

Really high quality video, great intro, I enjoyed the commentary, pleasant and relaxed voice recorded with a good mic (some static at one point, but I can live with that).
GJ, looking forward for more! 

+1

I would also agree with general opinion on commentary targets... the "he moves, he shoots" can be skipped.. I would much rather hear only interesting info that explains why is he doing what is he doing. This would give me (a green noob) great value. Otherwise you could just vaguely summarize it as "ok, he stayed far away and farmed a lot of damage". I already know it is the way to purple, but I fail almost every time I try to execute it :)

Also, the commentary doesn't need to be there all the time. Just talk about important moments, so I know when to actually listen with focus.

Good job! Thank you and keep going ;)

With the strong players here i think the videos should be more educational than entertaining. That´s what ppl come here for, i suppose and "funny" vids are out there enough. So from commentary point of view i would love to hear about options the player has in the actual situation, like: what to consider, worst case, best case, risk reward. That would be very helpfull for the viewers who want to improve.

Maybe aiming for the very entertaining replays might be critical because these are usually very luck-based ones and going with the highest probability to win is usually non-rambo. You sure are able to provide high skill plays with usefull commentary so that ppl can learn from it. So maybe use that, because not so many others are doing it.

I watch Quickybaby quite regular and he uses the same words over and over again. ("takes him out very quickly indeed.") If i would have done so many videos i might run into the same problem, but maybe you want to prevent that from the very begining. It might be more of a problem if one is describing whats going on, rather than explaining what is behind it.

I imagined a different accent for Never, sounds more American than Brazilian.

I second the choice with simples mods that leave info up on screen but don't cover up the gameplay.

You might try and create a script of somekind so that you have less "uh"s and "um"s which make you sound unsure of what is happening.

I thought it was pretty good.  If you want education, Quicky's own games are reasonably good teaching tools, but the bar-none master of instruction has to be Zeven.  He covers basic map strategies, what the rest of the team is doing, and what the person does right and wrong themselves.  Pauses the game frequently to elaborate on a point or really drive it home.  You largely focused only on the last aspect. 

If your goal is to be famous through content, then go for content.  But the best content/uber-games almost always feature idiotic game play by the enemy team.  Even Kewei's not getting 10K damage and 10 kills against a solid enemy team.  I'd rather see a 3K game fought really well than a 10K game against a sack of potatoes.  So you need to decide if you're going for entertainment (e.g., Jingles), education (e.g., Zeven), or a blend of the two (e.g., Quicky).  Given the educational orientation of wotlabs, I'd vote for the Zeven route.  An alternative might be a video that matches really well with the articles you have posted.

And different mods are fine, they can show people different set-ups.  If you're distracted by his damage indicator or what not, are you really watching what's important?

Overall, a cool idea and I'm looking forward to the next videos!

I imagined a different accent for Never, sounds more American than Brazilian.

I second the choice with simples mods that leave info up on screen but don't cover up the gameplay.

You might try and create a script of somekind so that you have less "uh"s and "um"s which make you sound unsure of what is happening.

Haha, I spent a few years speaking almost nothing but English, probably why I have less accent than most brazilians :P

I have a script, the "uh"s just come out when I talk a little bit too fast and I don't want pure silence until the next time I start talking.

a.) great video, tx for doing

b.) what is the name of the mod that creates the enemy direction pointers (can see at 14:14 for example) - little arrows that point to enemy and change color if hey have shot at you or not? I know it was part of aslains pack at some point