Sign in to follow this  
Luna

North on Karelia

Every game it seems like now on this map there are 2-5 mediums that decide to go north instead of hill, most including players I would at least deem acceptable in regards to skill. Used to be a couple of noob TDs/HTs, but now its a full on flank.

Did I miss a shift? I still view north as total shit because you can get sniped from hill and mid while only having some rocks and almost no bushes as cover. But it is becoming so popular that I can't help but wonder if I am missing out on something important...

I've always been curious about this as well. Maybe some players see the main fight as too difficult to do in their mediums, since there's always heavies peek-a-booming on their respective sides of the hill...

ee475ddfab.jpg

From what I can see, there's a couple of hills in the B1-A3 diagonal that might be protecting them from main hill? Kind of isolated, though.

08c1104007.jpg

Here are those hills I was talking about earlier.

If you're careful, I don't see why you couldn't get away with going north. There's a fair amount of cover that I can see from Hill, however I'm not sure of the strategic value of winning the north flank.

Maybe someone much better than I am can explain better?

The very north corner (A1/2 B1) is now completely safe from ridge snipers and mid yoloers. I see more people going there regularly too. Mostly I guess those who get shredded to pieces in south as the don't know how to cover etc so they get shredded in north now. And then meds who don't know how to play the hill hump. 1 out of 10/20 games the north flank actually manages to win and gives the enemy some decap points on top of the damage. Which I guess makes it a legit strat :doge:

99% cases 9/0 line with the hill control still decides the game.

The far northwest corner does have more cover now than it used to (not that it mattered since it was out of draw range anyway) and was made into a sort of brawling area. There are still large open areas you have to push across at TDs and there is still plenty of chance to get shot from the hill. I don't see the appeal of it, it just seems like a good place to get yourself killed. It might be good for farming but I almost never see a team win from the north unless they are already winning in the south as well so I wouldn't recommend it.

I actually started taking my 13 90 to the middle since they changed the map and the hill can be climbed both from the east and the west (middle) side... 

On EU there seems to be a shift to the north... and with the south flank stalling, overpowering the north does seem to help tilt the balance in the game. 

The hill sniping seems pretty much gone the few games I saw.

<ed> Yeah only 3 games all in the 13 90 last week on this map. The only game with less than 1500 damage is where I went to the top of the hill (from the mid) to help kill a batchatt and that game was a big loss.

I usually will take the north route if I am a tier down or bottom tier medium and spawn on the west side. Usually with the longish battle going on at the base of the hill you can push up the one line then across the A line and harass the back end TDs or arty.  The choke by the rock at A 1/2 and through the narrow at A/2 is usually where this area is decided. Once you start rock hopping from that point to the east base there is more of an opportunity to be sniped from the hill but not too bad. The long run from that point to the west base gives a west base camping TD plenty of time to snipe oncoming tanks so I don't take that route as much.

I usually will take the north route if I am a tier down or bottom tier medium and spawn on the west side. Usually with the longish battle going on at the base of the hill you can push up the one line then across the A line and harass the back end TDs or arty.  The choke by the rock at A 1/2 and through the narrow at A/2 is usually where this area is decided. Once you start rock hopping from that point to the east base there is more of an opportunity to be sniped from the hill but not too bad. The long run from that point to the west base gives a west base camping TD plenty of time to snipe oncoming tanks so I don't take that route as much.

The north-east base usually has a couple TDs camping the ridge overlooking the mid level ground, making this route even harder to justify from the southwest spawn point. Also the two patches of open ground that flank the central hill area in the north make returning to defend either base very difficult.

Every time I've been on this map since the changes, I've seen significant resources from the other side take this route. You can't ignore them

And yet it was out of meta for the entirety of the existence (competitive strats dont count), and yet when a couple of hills appear it becomes a thing? No, its just like the new south on westfield. A place where pubbies can brawl with a handful of other tanks without actually having any major influence on the overall outcome of the match.

north is still a trash postion

it takes too long to travel, there isnt enough HP or map control to make it worthwhile and TDs camping base break your push if you try one 

I've been experimenting with North when my team has a terrible setup to take the hill, and that is my conclusion as well.

You can race past the whole NE and get nearly to their base, and then you are boned, because they have balcony control and big TDs staring you down.  I wasn't able to win their base with 5 medium/heavium tanks against 2 tier 10 TDs because they were covered so well from the center of the map.  We just lost everywhere.  The good base positions are just fabulous for camping, because you can't flank without exposing to the balcony, and getting gun depression and hull down isn't a problem.  

It is possible that with voice coms, I'd have been able to coordinate the 5 of us over those two TDs, but we couldn't get the other guys working with us otherwise. 

What if you could light and keep down the balcony guys?  maybe...

I've dabbled in the north side as well since they remodeled it, and concluded that it was still pretty bad.

Thing is it can now feel like it's useful, and I believe that is why we are seeing pubbies flocking there. As long as the enemy commits some tanks to the area you can get to brawl them from the ditch that isn't exposed to the classic south hill opening. But it's a meaningless brawl in the end, as it doesn't matter how many pubbies you slay here, you're still walking up to a wall of kemping TD's when you're done.

In the case where the other team has much faster tanks in general, but no major high alpha threats, is it still useless?  Is there any circumstance where north is the best route?

In the case where the other team has much faster tanks in general, but no major high alpha threats, is it still useless?  Is there any circumstance where north is the best route?

It's rather situational. If the enemy is fast and lacks high alpha there's something like a 60/40 chance they'll blitz south/north. Going north in that situation could see you staring down a mostly empty flank (in which case you could maybe push and reach cap quickly), but don't dismiss the possibility of being zerged and overwhelmed if the enemy pubbies decide to swarm north. I think the right(er) situation would be when you're running a fast platoon comp (I think you need a coordinated push for this) and come across an enemy line-up that is slow and has no TD's, or has mediums of inferior quality than your own platoon. If these conditions are met you can pull it off with some measure of safety, but I wouldn't go as far as saying it's ever the best route, because the same line-up imbalance would also give you an excellent chance to secure the south hill decisively.