TheMarine0341

VK 4502B: Troll or be Trolled Appreciators Guild

I wish I could pull that kind of win rate in this tank.

Hell, I wish I could bounce more shots, everyone seems to know how to shoot me. :(

I wish I could pull that kind of win rate in this tank.

Hell, I wish I could bounce more shots, everyone seems to know how to shoot me. :(

Armor works MUCH better when they have the option of shooting the hull. Going hull down, the armor just doesnt work as well. 

Hmmm... we need to all get the MAUS and go trips MAUS platoons

I am 100% behind that idea. Did run 3 VK's last night in one of my viewer platoons, we got stomped, but the enemy spent so much time yoloing us that they let our Tier 10 meds wreck

ugh, I was so hyped for this tank only to be sorely disappointed when I got it. Decent players auto switch to gold negating your armor. The armor and speed often tempted me to try and hold the weaker flank (which only means that one genius will flank you and you lose once they ALL push around you). Going strong flank was a chore due to the lack of mobility. I even had problems keeping my front on some heavies trying to flank me with clutch + off road. The lack of speed also meant that I would arrive late to fights or to position which didn't help with side scraping.
The rear mounted turret is nice for side scraping, but the side armor is so meh that I didn't do it too much (Maus is much more comfy for that.). In most other situations the tank layout is a huge disadvantage.

But how well does the armor hold up against terrible players? Well, for my taste terrible players are too good at sniping cupolas even if you are juking around like crazy. Sure, I had the odd game in which I stemmed the lemming train of meh pubs long enough for my team to win, but the lacking mobility coupled with lacking armor anywhere that isn't the front often led to games in which the enemy simply took out all friendlies before I could do much and the swarmed me despite me being front line all the game.

When it comes to missions I find that the Maus is vastly superior. But the VK has lower HP so you need to tank less! Yes, but the Maus has such an easy time baiting shots into the side armor while the VK needs enemies stupid enough to shoot the front. You can't rely on finding that special kind of stupid, but there are a lot more players willing to shoot angled Maus sides or an angled Maus turret with AP. Plus the Maus doesn't have a retard magnet cupola.

I probably played this tank wrong (should have side scraped waaaay more), but I have mostly bad memories of it. Still got 2k DPG and acceptable WR, but I simply didn't enjoy it. It felt too much like my enemies ammo usage decided my fate instead of my own play (which is already pretty limited given the lack of speed).
--> I think the VK is over hyped.

*snip*

I can pretty much guarantee you were playing it wrong. I almost never sidescrape in it. In fact, that's the biggest change I had to make from my E-100/E-75-driven playstyle. If you watch my replays, I bait shots into a heavily angled exposed front, and pull out to fire after timing reloads. If a good player is pounding APCR/HEAT through my turret face then I go full snapshot mode, using good gun handling+APCR to ensure I have to aim less than he does. In game after game I hold out vs multiple tanks, outnumbered and come out alive.

Examples:
http://wotreplays.com/site/2138551#arctic_region-sr360-vk_45_02_p_ausf_b <-- pretty much solo fighting an E-75, O-Ho, Foch, JT88 and KT. 6.3K bounced.
http://wotreplays.com/site/2119550#karelia-sr360-vk_45_02_p_ausf_b <--3.3K bounced, take out a JPE 1v1
http://wotreplays.com/site/2119154#overlord-sr360-vk_45_02_p_ausf_b <--bounced 3 waffle clips, before the waffle resorts to shooting HE at me. 6.3K bounced
http://wotreplays.com/site/2115006#cliff-sr360-vk_45_02_p_ausf_b <--taking on 2xE-100 and an IS-7 firing APCR solo. 7.6K bounced

I have lots more replays, but these are just highlights from the last 10 days of play. As I said, at 143 games I'm at 79.4% win rate

Thanks a lot for the replays. :happyfish:

I am pretty convinced that my error was how I angled the tank. I usually went for 10° max since I am terribly afraid of over angling it: Shooting the front drive wheel slightly from the side has been my go-to method of dealing with VK ever since they got buffed (and it works surprisingly often). I never dared to over angle my side because of the terrible things I usually do to over angled VKs.
Given that distrust I had in the side armor I rarely relied on it. I usually tried to present my front especially the LFP. Reason why I mentioned side scrape was because I was convinced that the side is only 80mm. :retard:

The first game you posted pretty much summed up how I remember the tank: Solo a few tanks for a substantial amount of time and still lose.
I think I simply had a psychological issue with the tank: Terrible early games, over inflated opinion of the armor due to spectating a platoon friend of mine who is good in his VK and the obsession about not angling too much at all cost.
Strangely enough I enjoy the Maus a lot more despite not really doing better in it (and in the few Maus games I had I already got AP'd by a T92 for 2,5k HP). That said this is probably because I was expecting the Maus to suck while I expected the VK to be a lot better.

Thanks a lot for the replays. :happyfish:

I am pretty convinced that my error was how I angled the tank. I usually went for 10° max since I am terribly afraid of over angling it: Shooting the front drive wheel slightly from the side has been my go-to method of dealing with VK ever since they got buffed (and it works surprisingly often). I never dared to over angle my side because of the terrible things I usually do to over angled VKs.
Given that distrust I had in the side armor I rarely relied on it. I usually tried to present my front especially the LFP. Reason why I mentioned side scrape was because I was convinced that the side is only 80mm. :retard:

The first game you posted pretty much summed up how I remember the tank: Solo a few tanks for a substantial amount of time and still lose.
I think I simply had a psychological issue with the tank: Terrible early games, over inflated opinion of the armor due to spectating a platoon friend of mine who is good in his VK and the obsession about not angling too much at all cost.
Strangely enough I enjoy the Maus a lot more despite not really doing better in it (and in the few Maus games I had I already got AP'd by a T92 for 2,5k HP). That said this is probably because I was expecting the Maus to suck while I expected the VK to be a lot better.

Except we actually won that game!

My go-to is to pivot around hard cover, exposing JUST the front, and using hard cover to hide the side/sprocket. I sometimes get it wrong and get penned in the sprocket, but with practice I get it right more often than not.

I just looked at Marine and my stats: we're both averaging 2.1K dmg bounced per game. In practice, that means that on average the team we're on has an extra tier 9.5 worth of HP to absorb damage. It's pretty much 15v16.

Except we actually won that game!

My go-to is to pivot around hard cover, exposing JUST the front, and using hard cover to hide the side/sprocket. I sometimes get it wrong and get penned in the sprocket, but with practice I get it right more often than not.

I just looked at Marine and my stats: we're both averaging 2.1K dmg bounced per game. In practice, that means that on average the team we're on has an extra tier 9.5 worth of HP to absorb damage. It's pretty much 15v16.

I'm doing better than I thought in mine. 1.85k blocked. Doesn't feel like it, but then again I'm hoping to get enough spam to reach HT15:3

I'm doing better than I thought in mine. 1.85k blocked. Doesn't feel like it, but then again I'm hoping to get enough spam to reach HT15:3

You mean (my armor use eff is 2.09) 2.09*1950-1950 = 2125 blocked?

I now played 337 games in VK-P, that included ~200 games before buff, i wonder whay my armor use would have been otherwise :P

ps: for comparison, my T95 is at 1.93 and my E3 at 1.26, Vk-P is thus even with a ton of crap games still far and away my ``thoughest`` tank

You mean (my armor use eff is 2.09) 2.09*1950-1950 = 2125 blocked?

I now played 337 games in VK-P, that included ~200 games before buff, i wonder whay my armor use would have been otherwise :P

ps: for comparison, my T95 is at 1.93 and my E3 at 1.26, Vk-P is thus even with a ton of crap games still far and away my ``thoughest`` tank

Gehakte, it's a proportion of damage blocked to damage TAKEN, not to HP, so it's actually higher. WoTLabs on your stat page actually gives you those numbers. In your case:

VK-B 2351 blocked
Maus 2436 blocked
T95 2505 blocked

Gehakte, it's a proportion of damage blocked to damage TAKEN, not to HP, so it's actually higher. WoTLabs on your stat page actually gives you those numbers. In your case:

VK-B 2351 blocked
Maus 2436 blocked
T95 2505 blocked

Ah there you can see it, thanks for telling

ps: my KV4 blocks more as IS4 or E3, russian magic track armor is strong as soviet steel!

I have to admit, this tank is working better for me as a solo tank than the E-75. Don't get me wrong, the E-75 is much more flexible, but just the sheer armour and troll nature of the VK let's me do stupid stuff AND ACTUALLY PULL IT OFF!

For example, mid tier on Overlord. I'm feeling about the middle from south spawn, untill I see a blue player in a E5 and his toon mate in a bat Chat. going down the beach. I go with a maus and a T34. We kill the bat Chat after his YOLO of the T34 was the bait for us to smash him. The E5 then loads the HEAT to hit the maus.

I YOLO the fucker, while using APCR (because fuck E-Honour) I pen him with all my shots to his lower plate. He bounces 6 of his 8 HEAT shells against my hull and turret. We end up winning the game, even tho it was a 30% chance.

Face hug wiggle FTW.

1 hour ago, FreddBoy said:

on Overlord... I see a blue player... and his toon mate... going down the beach... We end up winning the game, even tho it was a 30% chance.

I wouldn't take too much away from that episode. Going beach on Overlord is almost always a bad move. It's analogous to a valley push on Lakeville.

In my experience, a well-driven T110E5 can dismantle a VKB with relative ease. If you're in close quarters, then the E5 can reliably pen your cupola with AP or blap HEAT straight through your turret face.

They made a bad play, and you took advantage of it. XVM may have inflated your opinion of that platoon.

18 minutes ago, monjardin said:

They made a bad play, and you took advantage of it. XVM may have inflated your opinion of that platoon.

To be honest, the play they made wasn't too bad. This happened after about 3-4 mins into the match, and if that maus and T34 weren't there, they would have had a wide open flank with the rear of our heavies and our cap. I fully admit that RNG helped me immensely against the E5, but if I didn't do that, the T34 would be dead and the maus would be dead once the bat Chat. Reloaded.

On 9/13/2015, 4:56:46, sr360 said:

VK-B 2351 blocked
Maus 2436 blocked
T95 2505 blocked

Damage taken isn't in there is it? That can be HP if you died or 0 if nothing penned. 

4 hours ago, Golem501 said:

Damage taken isn't in there is it? That can be HP if you died or 0 if nothing penned. 

No, that's actual damage blocked. The game keeps track of it. In-game it shows if you hover over your armor use value, and wotlabs shows it too.