X3N4

maybe I'm stupid...

.. or maybe something is fucked with this game. My performance has dropped a lot in recent months and honestly I don't think it's because I regressed as a player. Sessions rarely exceed 4k dmg for me any more (~tier 9.5) whereas a couple of months ago breaking this wasn't really that much of an effort. I could find a couple of reasons for why this happened but I'm asking if anyone else is also experiencing this on EU (maybe also on NA but I feel their meta is behind a little) or if I failed to adapt as a player.

Reasons:

-WG is reworking the maps to decrease the influence a single good player can have on the outcome of the map. This is pretty obvious: All the maps I considered "skill maps" where knowledge of firing lanes and spotting over longer battles are getting reworked. Sand River, Westfield, Swamp, Redshire. Well Mines was bad before already but now it's fucking awful in high tiers... All the maps I routinely farmed up 6k+ damage are getting reworked either into total fuckups like new Westfield or weird RNG maps like new Swamp. Standard rework scheme: Two flanks as far apart as possible with useless middle and lots of hard cover to remove firing angles. Pretty ironic they remove Northwest and then rework most maps to be the same (Swamp or new Redshire huehuehue).

-Meta changes due to drop in player skill: Since WG is trying to please the bottom half of the players with their map/vehicle balancing they create no incentive for bad players to improve. I feel like this is a huge issue. Examples: Going field on Westfield was retarded because it removed you from most of the fight. Now WG introduced some hardcover there. Well, guess what: You're still totally useless if you go there but now there is an incentive to sit in front of each other for 3 minutes and "cover that flank" while the battle gets decided somewhere else and you're gonna get cleaned up at the end. Pearl River is another example even though it gets removed. You used to go to the standard northern brawling passage and there was a huge fight and whoever won that usually came out on top of the game. Nowadays people just yolo the middle, die in 2 minutes and the game basically gets decided by who has less retards dying there... On Lakeville I lately see large fights in the valley (once 18 tanks, wtf) with scouts and fast tanks (bchats etc.) apparently rushing that place because "they get there first". Then they proceed to sit in front of each other behind the hill while a Conq GC one shots one of these dudes once every 45 secs...

-Huge alpha RNG tanks: Waffle, FV4005, FV 183, JagdE100. Shitlord tanks that allow an idiot to his health 1vs1 against anyone in the game. It's self explanatory: Shitter in 183 drives out and either he misses you and you fuck him up during his 30 sec reload or he hits you and you're dead. You catch a waffle in the open it's not gonna last for 5 secs, he catches you relocating you're not gonna last for 5 seconds.

-Scouts (and arty): On EU at least 3 scouts feels the average per team, lots of battles have 4. This first of all takes a lot of each team's health pool away and second of all means you gotta be REALLY careful if you want to relocate. It's very hard avoiding to get lit. If there is 6+ scouts+arty combined you can basically write of the game as trash because all you're doing is jumping from cover to cover and even if you were to find a nice farming spot you won't get any damage when half their team consists of tanks with 1k or less HP.

-decrease in average battle time: All of the above leads to a decrease in average battle time which is the main reason for the shit games recently IMO. There are only so many shots you can fire after moving into position when 70% of your games don't exceed the 4m30s limit. On cramped maps like Ensk and Himmelsdorf that would even be a long game LOL. Games are rarely close and follow two schemes: Go to your flank, steamroll it within 1 minute and hope you can get some cleanup or spot 10 tanks and be forced to retreat and extract some damage out of the incoming 5:15 loss.

-team lineups: Lots of arty and scouts cause those missions are at some point basically pure RNG (get a map out of a certain pool or you don't even have to try), lots of meds because that's what good players actually play (and what the greens and blues think they have to play to get good) and lots of TDs cause every red shitlord thinks high alpha is magic. Yeah, no heavies. They're slow, get outplayed by meds on open maps and by high alpha TDs on city maps. They're really good in this meta actually but only if you're good yourself which 90% of the playerbase aren't.

Is this only me? Or do others observe a drop off in performance as well. I checked the recents of a couple of guys (Poltto, Decha and Kolmio namely) and it seems to confirm my thesis. It doesn't matter if you dealt 2k dmg averages or 4k before though, most players (except the supertomatoes not posting here) should have this issue. Your peak performance is just not as high as it used to be. It's so hard to come by good/great games these days because of the above factors. And you still get your share of matchmaking fuckups, steamrolls (even more),bad maps (also even more) and ofc clicks. I feel like I can't even out the frequent bad games any more and it's just trying to catch up...

P.S.: Keep the fucking errors, I'm drunk.

yes i can feel it aswel matches used to be alot longer, now its either a 5 min roflstomp witch ends in 15-0

the matches also have 3+ lights either in platoon with arty

If i could be bothered enough with WoT to write an article what i think about it, this would be it....every single word is taken from my mouth and put in your article Xena.

I do think all the reasons you state above indeed contribute to shorter games on average as well as a higher number of "steamrolls".

I also believe the extreme TD nerf is a major cause, as it removes a lot of the "fear" that pubbies feel when deciding (or not) to go somewhere or attack.

Like it or not: camping pubbies = longer game, easier to farm damage...

Whereas fearless pubbies charging mindlessly means short steamrolls over and over again.

I do think all the reasons you state above indeed contribute to shorter games on average as well as a higher number of "steamrolls".

I also believe the extreme TD nerf is a major cause, as it removes a lot of the "fear" that pubbies feel when deciding (or not) to go somewhere or attack.

Like it or not: camping pubbies = longer game, easier to farm damage...

Whereas fearless pubbies charging mindlessly means short steamrolls over and over again.

The TD nerf happened quite a while ago and I don't think it made a huge amount of difference. Also you still have a lot of fuck you RNG cannons like 183, waffles, and jpegs.

The TD nerf happened quite a while ago and I don't think it made a huge amount of difference. Also you still have a lot of fuck you RNG cannons like 183, waffles, and jpegs.

Maybe it's the "frog in hot water" effect?

I took a 6ish month break not long after the TD nerf and definitely see what I think are direct consequences of it now.

I might be wrong though.

TD nerf made a difference for the TDs which were getting shafted by map redesign already: camo snipers. The huge alpha RNG shit tanks don't rely on this at all, most of them are actually terrible at it to begin with.

I forgot something:

-cappers: thanks to the nice capping missions for almost every tank class you get a lot of really nice games like this (just from today, could upload trash like this every day tho)

zfIeS9a.png

g69S8l2.png

9Hdtef5.png

where half their T10 health pool is still alive (IS-7s were 1.5k and full health alone) but some retard who did fuckall for the team's success gets an extra incentive to ruin the game for everyone else. Capping goes hand in hand with WGs increased love for placing obstacles/bushes in maps that make it hard to reset on some (Highway if you don't destroy the buildings for instance) or flat out impossible on maps like Windstorm where this game happened. Srsly the guy who placed the rocks in the Southern base needs to be hanged. Same goes for the guy who created this light tank mission which is just flat out retarded capping without doing anything else (spotting, damage, whatever). 

Let's see... X3NA's performance according to Noobmeter:

3s2orP1.png

Everything is trending upwards, except WR where you hit a plateau. Why are you complaining about not being able to not farm enough damage (which you do - curve still rising), when your real issue is that you can't win more?

Everything is trending upwards

Well, obviously everything is trending upwards... If your average is 2400dpg, you won't see much difference in the general trend looks between say, 4200 dpg average and 3800. The curve will go up. A lot. In both cases. It doesn't mean there isn't a drop in performance.

Snip

Going from 5k recent to 4k recent while having 3k while still have all your averages raising, even though it could be at a worse rate then it use to be.

@graukatze - You do realise how statistics work, right? Tracking his overall is pointless when his recent is so far ahead of it and he has that many battles, damage being the most obvious example. Just because the curves are going upwards, it doesn't mean that he can't have lost several hundred DPG or WN8 due to WG's retarded map reworks.

It's been going on for years, we just feel the biggest effect of it now because the average pubbie has finally accumulated enough battles to have unlocked most of the tanks (shitter or not, if you have 15k+ battles, you have a fair amount of tier X tanks unlocked) and are thus doing their retarded missions. On top of that, WG still hasn't made a real fucking medium line for the French, so anyone grinding the new AMX line are playing hundreds of battles from ELC onwards. Imagine all the bitching you've seen on Wotlabs from the top ~1% players in the world about the various LT missions and then imagine Mr. 450 WN8 45% trying to do that shit in his 13 90.. Yeah, we still have a LOT of light tank spam in our future. Basically, you can relatively easily RNG your way into most of the missions in other tank types but LTs actually require both RNG and knowing what you're doing, so that's where many of them are stuck no matter the tank they're doing missions for.

The average tier 10 tank has 1900-2200 HP (not counting super heavies), tier 8 lights have 1100-1200 HP and the average tier 10 arty has 500-ish HP. Now replace six tanks with 1900-2200 HP and insert LTs and arties into their place on the team. How much HP has been stolen from the team? Well, artillery is roughly 1/4 of a single tank so even with the standard 3 arties in a battle, they don't have enough HP combined to equal a single RU med, the lowest HP regular tanks. LTs are slightly better but still require twice as much space on a team to fill out the HP needed (eg. 2 LTs = an IS-4).

I will add one final thing people always seem to forget and that seriously harmed the game in the long run: WG removed the top battle tier, meaning that even if you aren't cursed with artillery and many LTs, you're probably still playing against T-44s and IS-3s. At least the HP loss in that regard isn't too horrible but it still adds up to quite a lot.

They point I was getting at is - where are the numbers to confirm this? His 60d/1000 battles indicate the opposite, actually (increase in avg damage). 

3IIdX72.png           ZRGK0K9.png           

I generally agree with your concerns about map design trends and its effects on speeding up gameplay via random distributions of tanks. Ditto on the absence of heavies in pub battles. However I've seen no change in my performance via ratings. That's likely because I've never been good at damage.

I have however seen a marked drop in my LT scouting performances because the vision game is often dead. Changes to serene coast, malinovka,redshire, and half a dozen others have made LTs pretty useless. Patrol duty and scout medals used to be the common but are now rare. Now many of the map changes are good on the net , and I don't miss prenerf TDs or arty. But homogenizing the maps sucks.

They point I was getting at is - where are the numbers to confirm this? His 60d/1000 battles indicate the opposite, actually (increase in avg damage). 

If you had done yourself a favor and looked to the left of the 60-day, you'd notice the problem. His 30-days is stagnated so that improvement you're talking about isn't there anymore. If you looked through his replay topic, you'd see the kind of sessions X3N4 means are pretty much impossible now, something that is clearly affecting his stats in terms of improvement. The ceiling has basically been forcefully lowered by WG via their map designs and while I sure as shit can't touch his performances anyway, I can see why it's incredibly frustrating to be artificially constrained by a developer who's trying to suck up to baddies.

@graukatze - You do realise how statistics work, right? Tracking his overall is pointless when his recent is so far ahead of it and he has that many battles, damage being the most obvious example. Just because the curves are going upwards, it doesn't mean that he can't have lost several hundred DPG or WN8 due to WG's retarded map reworks.

Though his use is wrong you can look at rates of increase. The change in how much he moves depends on how many games he has and on how well he plays. The difference in weight in the average over time between 27k-28k and 28k-29k is not much but there is a noticable decrease in the slope that would indicate a decreased damage over that range.

You do realize my last 1k includes a decent amount of campaign battles (I was top 100 fame points EU) and a 3 MOE grind (Object 263) which just kills stats whereas the tanks I'm playing now apart from Bchat (and I'm not that bad at it lol) are stuff I consider myself really good at?

You also realize that I started this game f2p and played maybe 4k-5k battles grinding mostly stock german heavies? So "improving" from a total which includes these kind of things really isn't that hard.

Good to know I'm not missing out on anything.

HI FRIEND YOU CAN POST AGAIN :D <3

Also i can see where you're coming from Xena. My friend monkey made that thread a while back before deciding to take a break, he was upset at how his gameplay was the same but yet he couldnt get as much damage for the most random reasons including most of what you listed. I on the other hand am a sub 4k mongoloid who goes on tilt at times but really doesnt know every nitche change like some of you guys.

Let's see... X3NA's performance according to Noobmeter:

Everything is trending upwards, except WR where you hit a plateau. Why are you complaining about not being able to not farm enough damage (which you do - curve still rising), when your real issue is that you can't win more?

Except all the things he said is true.

.. or maybe something is fucked with this game. My performance has dropped a lot in recent months and honestly I don't think it's because I regressed as a player. Sessions rarely exceed 4k dmg for me any more (~tier 9.5) whereas a couple of months ago breaking this wasn't really that much of an effort. I could find a couple of reasons for why this happened but I'm asking if anyone else is also experiencing this on EU (maybe also on NA but I feel their meta is behind a little) or if I failed to adapt as a player.

Reasons:

-WG is reworking the maps to decrease the influence a single good player can have on the outcome of the map. This is pretty obvious: All the maps I considered "skill maps" where knowledge of firing lanes and spotting over longer battles are getting reworked. Sand River, Westfield, Swamp, Redshire. Well Mines was bad before already but now it's fucking awful in high tiers... All the maps I routinely farmed up 6k+ damage are getting reworked either into total fuckups like new Westfield or weird RNG maps like new Swamp. Standard rework scheme: Two flanks as far apart as possible with useless middle and lots of hard cover to remove firing angles. Pretty ironic they remove Northwest and then rework most maps to be the same (Swamp or new Redshire huehuehue).

-Meta changes due to drop in player skill: Since WG is trying to please the bottom half of the players with their map/vehicle balancing they create no incentive for bad players to improve. I feel like this is a huge issue. Examples: Going field on Westfield was retarded because it removed you from most of the fight. Now WG introduced some hardcover there. Well, guess what: You're still totally useless if you go there but now there is an incentive to sit in front of each other for 3 minutes and "cover that flank" while the battle gets decided somewhere else and you're gonna get cleaned up at the end. Pearl River is another example even though it gets removed. You used to go to the standard northern brawling passage and there was a huge fight and whoever won that usually came out on top of the game. Nowadays people just yolo the middle, die in 2 minutes and the game basically gets decided by who has less retards dying there... On Lakeville I lately see large fights in the valley (once 18 tanks, wtf) with scouts and fast tanks (bchats etc.) apparently rushing that place because "they get there first". Then they proceed to sit in front of each other behind the hill while a Conq GC one shots one of these dudes once every 45 secs...

-Huge alpha RNG tanks: Waffle, FV4005, FV 183, JagdE100. Shitlord tanks that allow an idiot to his health 1vs1 against anyone in the game. It's self explanatory: Shitter in 183 drives out and either he misses you and you fuck him up during his 30 sec reload or he hits you and you're dead. You catch a waffle in the open it's not gonna last for 5 secs, he catches you relocating you're not gonna last for 5 seconds.

-Scouts (and arty): On EU at least 3 scouts feels the average per team, lots of battles have 4. This first of all takes a lot of each team's health pool away and second of all means you gotta be REALLY careful if you want to relocate. It's very hard avoiding to get lit. If there is 6+ scouts+arty combined you can basically write of the game as trash because all you're doing is jumping from cover to cover and even if you were to find a nice farming spot you won't get any damage when half their team consists of tanks with 1k or less HP.

-decrease in average battle time: All of the above leads to a decrease in average battle time which is the main reason for the shit games recently IMO. There are only so many shots you can fire after moving into position when 70% of your games don't exceed the 4m30s limit. On cramped maps like Ensk and Himmelsdorf that would even be a long game LOL. Games are rarely close and follow two schemes: Go to your flank, steamroll it within 1 minute and hope you can get some cleanup or spot 10 tanks and be forced to retreat and extract some damage out of the incoming 5:15 loss.

-team lineups: Lots of arty and scouts cause those missions are at some point basically pure RNG (get a map out of a certain pool or you don't even have to try), lots of meds because that's what good players actually play (and what the greens and blues think they have to play to get good) and lots of TDs cause every red shitlord thinks high alpha is magic. Yeah, no heavies. They're slow, get outplayed by meds on open maps and by high alpha TDs on city maps. They're really good in this meta actually but only if you're good yourself which 90% of the playerbase aren't.

Is this only me? Or do others observe a drop off in performance as well. I checked the recents of a couple of guys (Poltto, Decha and Kolmio namely) and it seems to confirm my thesis. It doesn't matter if you dealt 2k dmg averages or 4k before though, most players (except the supertomatoes not posting here) should have this issue. Your peak performance is just not as high as it used to be. It's so hard to come by good/great games these days because of the above factors. And you still get your share of matchmaking fuckups, steamrolls (even more),bad maps (also even more) and ofc clicks. I feel like I can't even out the frequent bad games any more and it's just trying to catch up...

P.S.: Keep the fucking errors, I'm drunk.

daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat post man, can't even be bothered to read it all

Edit: those negreps man! No offense intended there :P calm your tities mates