Rawkes

[Mega Resource] Everything I’ve learnt going from noob to unicum-recent

Turning off predicted win-rate

• Seriously, turn that shit off – it screws with your head
  • I currently have it only display after the game on the post-battle results screen
  • It’s a great feeling to have an awesome game and see afterward that you were only predicted a 30% WR
  • You’d be surprised how many games I win now that have a sub-40% WR, compared to when I saw the stat pre-battle

Id say this is bad advice. Instead you should look at it differently. Understand win chance, is chance, so it should just tell you how hard to opposition is compared to you quickly. No need to give up games and act like  a brat. 

I also have to say a lot of this has your personal ethics that dont actually have to do with learning how to play effectively. Being a good sport all the time isnt necessary.

Surely Invision Board has some ability to pin or pull together key threads? I haven't used it in many years but I would be surprised that an extension doesn't exist if it's not baked in.

My background is in Web development, hence being curious.

Aha, so you are that Rawkes. Great guide, mate.

Great post! Seems like a lot of effort has gone into it and it shows.

I don't play on EU but it's interesting to see your observation about time bracket differences. I am quite convinced that a certain time mainly yields me with pretty poor results and it's nice to see that feeling coming from someone else.

I work irregular hours so I generally play at different times and it's a good reminder that I need to adapt my playstyle to the specific time, which I don't do often enough. Worth reading if just for that!

• Enabling dynamic camera and horizontal stablisation make it much easier to aim while moving

It actually took me 16k games (previous saturday) and a viewer to comment before I realised this was an option.... :QQ:

Great post though, and thank you for doing this. I have only skimmed it so far, but rest assured I will read it when I have time.

As a fairly bad player trying to become better you get a huge thanks from me for this post!

I wouldn't call yourself a bad player with only 4k games btw. At least you're on wotlabs and reading useful things. According to noobmeter, my wn8 was just north of 1100 after 4k games (even though wn8 wasn't in the game back then).

Edit: So this is what waterwar means when he asks me for "constructive posts" when I spam him about purple poaster about 17 times a day.

As a fairly bad player trying to become better you get a huge thanks from me for this post!

No problem! :)

Id say this is bad advice. Instead you should look at it differently. Understand win chance, is chance, so it should just tell you how hard to opposition is compared to you quickly. No need to give up games and act like  a brat. 

It's a personal suggestion but I honestly believe that seeing the win chance before the match can play with your head, however much you try to position it. For me, I found it far easier to remove it from the equation entirely and instead see the win chance afterward when I could use it to compare against how I felt the game went.

I also have to say a lot of this has your personal ethics that dont actually have to do with learning how to play effectively. Being a good sport all the time isnt necessary.

Of course, nearly everything I suggest is personal to what I experienced in getting better. It's up to you to take what you want from it, whether following advice entirely, only taking parts of it, or ignore it all. It's up to you :)

Aha, so you are that Rawkes. Great guide, mate.

Oh crap, I've been rumbled. Escape! ;)

Ps. Thank you!

Almost there after 10k games - and these are almost exactly what I learned. Good job writing that out!

Thanks! It's good to hear that there are correlations with your learnings too – I think it's really important that people don't take what I say too seriously and instead compare it and merge it with their own experience.

Great post! Seems like a lot of effort has gone into it and it shows.

I don't play on EU but it's interesting to see your observation about time bracket differences. I am quite convinced that a certain time mainly yields me with pretty poor results and it's nice to see that feeling coming from someone else.

I work irregular hours so I generally play at different times and it's a good reminder that I need to adapt my playstyle to the specific time, which I don't do often enough. Worth reading if just for that!

Thank you, it's nice to see that the effort is appreciated.

I definitely feel that time has a dramatic effect on performance, though its up for grabs whether that's to do with my current ability (eg. being unable to handle "bad" MM at weird hours), or whether there actually is a statistically-significant difference in WR depending on time of day/week.

It actually took me 16k games (previous saturday) and a viewer to comment before I realised this was an option.... 

Great post though, and thank you for doing this. I have only skimmed it so far, but rest assured I will read it when I have time.

Thanks! And don't worry about only finding out about it after 16k hard-fought games – the main thing is that you now know, right? :D

Good read OP. It's nice to see those thing written again, even if you have already internalized some of them.

I would be going further on two points :

- you turn off the XVM win chance => I have turned off completely XVM coloring. It helps focus on what's important (Tanks, tiers, and the game) rather than stare at the pretty colors on the team list (and sometimes cry when your team gets close to infrared).

- Not berating people in chat => TURN OFF the chat, period. It's useless. You basically see the same messages each game (MM sucks, ahah you're a bot, let's rush in the open field), that range from midly funny to completely idiotic comments. As a game progresses, you start having more and more "Armchair Generals" that died early and feel that their great experience at Dying should be shared. It can be frustrating, and leading to bad decisions. Worse, YOU can be lured into responding or commenting as well, thus preventing you from noticing that TD that just popped up lining a shot on you.  Is the chance of having one game saved by ingame chat worth having 20 runined by it? for me, no. Just turn off that thing.

Good read OP. It's nice to see those thing written again, even if you have already internalized some of them.

Glad you found it useful!

- you turn off the XVM win chance => I have turned off completely XVM coloring. It helps focus on what's important (Tanks, tiers, and the game) rather than stare at the pretty colors on the team list (and sometimes cry when your team gets close to infrared).

This is something I've been thinking about recently – it doesn't serve me any purpose to see the colours and WN8 before or during the battle. This is definitely a personal thing but I know I'm susceptible to the psychological effects of seeing rankings and things pre-battle so it makes sense to turn it all off and not waste mental effort predicting the game outcome before it's even started.

- Not berating people in chat => TURN OFF the chat, period. It's useless. You basically see the same messages each game (MM sucks, ahah you're a bot, let's rush in the open field), that range from midly funny to completely idiotic comments. As a game progresses, you start having more and more "Armchair Generals" that died early and feel that their great experience at Dying should be shared. It can be frustrating, and leading to bad decisions. Worse, YOU can be lured into responding or commenting as well, thus preventing you from noticing that TD that just popped up lining a shot on you.  Is the chance of having one game saved by ingame chat worth having 20 runined by it? for me, no. Just turn off that thing.

This is a more severe option but also one I've been considering for a while now. You're definitely right that the times chat works in your favour are few and far between so you really don't lose much by turning it off. I often find myself putting my self-control aside and responding to messages in chat rather than focusing on the game, which has almost certainly got me killed a few times. I'm even guilty of turning into an Armchair General once in a while if I'm having a bad run, which isn't helpful for anyone.

I might as well give it a go for a week or so and see how I feel after that – that's what I did with a few other things and I never looked back (eg. predicted WR and game modes).

I posted it to Reddit around the same time, though in hindsight I don't think it was the right community to share it on – the comments were pretty appalling at times. The response and feedback here has been much better!

The WOT subreddit is literally cancer. The rest of the time they're telling people to not proceed up the tiers too fast, then as soon as they meet someone who takes that advice they call him a seal clubber and shit on him.

I wouldn't call yourself a bad player with only 4k games btw. At least you're on wotlabs and reading useful things. According to noobmeter, my wn8 was just north of 1100 after 4k games (even though wn8 wasn't in the game back then).

Thanks but a couple of months ago (before Wotlabs) I was running about 500 WN8 and just screwing up games left right and centre.

Slowly improving now thanks to the content here and hoping that by the time i get to 5000 or so games that I can drag my win rate over the next 1000 games into >50% territory.

I do sometimes wonder though how guys with 20k battles can still be 250 WN8 and 44% 

Edited by Duckwah
add comment

I do sometimes wonder though how guys with 20k battles can still be 250 WN8 and 44% 

You and me both. But at least they help pad some damage, either by not doing anything when on your team, or by letting you shoot them continuously when you face them.

Good luck with your goal. It seems very realistic to me :disco:

Your point about tracking progress; I used to be kind of obsessive about tracking my sessions. It got to the point where I would let stats dictate my playing more than having fun. Then I think it was X3n4 who posted in his thread about tracking your sessions were madness and would only make you crazy that made me drop it completely. Focusing more on the overall game and letting each session be what it is helped me progress through a bit of a slump around 2k wn8. It also made the game a lot more fun again :)

I still have overall goals, but no short term "quotas" I have to fill. 

Thanks a lot with this awesome thread!! I very hype up to improve my play really! Just finish my grind 1st T10 (IS-7) now going for USSR Med (A-43 now, will get T 34-85) and try both T6 med before heading up the tree.. just want to feel the med play and go to T62A or 140. Hope i will get to be a Dark Green/ Light Blue as my first step in 5k games. 

Edited by SlaJaZz

• Enable Dynamic Camera
    • This prevents camera movement while moving in sniper mode
    • You’ll notice that it’s a lot easier to aim while moving with this enabled
  • Enable Horizontal Stabilisation (requires Dynamic Camera)
    • This keeps the camera on target whilst traversing the hull of your tank in sniper mode (rather than moving the gun with the hull)
    • It ultimately makes it a lot easier to keep your sights on a tank whilst wriggle your hull, even turning a full 180 if needs be

I didn't even know that this was a thing o.O

Unlike everyone else i`m just getting worse in this game. I`m shit at playing tier10. I had 60% WR in my e50 and leo PTA and now with e50m and leo1 just maybe 45%. It is amazing.

Nothing is working, armour angling, sidescraping, sniping, camo, vision, nothing. My crews are 4+ skill but my game lasts for 3 minutes. When i try to be extra careful i get wn8 750 at the end with 1,5k damage. And it just frustrates me to watch streams with people making 5k damage in a games where enemies are just jumping in front of their guns.

It is really true, if you don`t know how to play tier 10, you don`t know how to play this game.

On 15/09/2015, 11:52:52, ninz said:

Your point about tracking progress; I used to be kind of obsessive about tracking my sessions. It got to the point where I would let stats dictate my playing more than having fun. Then I think it was X3n4 who posted in his thread about tracking your sessions were madness and would only make you crazy that made me drop it completely. Focusing more on the overall game and letting each session be what it is helped me progress through a bit of a slump around 2k wn8. It also made the game a lot more fun again :)

I still have overall goals, but no short term "quotas" I have to fill. 

I think I lean the other way on this.

Having a session stats mod for example let's me see when I'm not playing particularly well, and I can then either decide to call it a night, or stop and think about what I'm doing.

Winning is fun and provides good stats, sometimes, I'm just so out of it that I don't even notice when I'm having a bad session, I'm just playing on auto pilot, and not even enjoying myself.

Seeing that my last 5 games were terrible with sub 500 WN8 is the kick I need to get my head in gear or to take a break.

Playing vanilla and without any monitoring tools the only thing I do after I ended a session is going to wotlabs and looking up my recents. And I wouldn't really need to because I have quite a good feeling about my game and can estimate if I did well overall or not.

I do this like a couple of months now and I have to say, I improved my play because the mindset changed from "must have gud wn8 game" to "let's figure out how to win this game". Most of the stuff that XVM provides just hindered me from concentrating an the important stuff. Win-chance for example is completely absurd: If me and an enemy are the only purples in a sea of red and he is in an E5 and I'm in a T-44 how can the win-chance state 50%. I get so f... annoyed by people whining in chat about their estimated chances to win. I truly believe it's the one mod that hinders most of the average players to become above average. They start a battle see 37% WC and play like complete idiots after spamming the chat with "cheating platoon" or "37% fuck this" and play like complete retards. Estimated win-chances become a self-fulfilling prophecy to say it in psychological terms.

Saying that I completely agree with the OP saying: "Turn that shit off!"

Nice guide, I'm just afraid too few people that would really need it, are putting in the effort to improve.

@Rawkes Bro, this is far by one of the most informative, straightforward, and kind guides on how to be a better player that I've ever seen. The long read was just completely worth it.

I really appreciate how you've posted this, and I can't think of a better way to thank you for giving an excellent guide for yellow players aiming for better statistics and as well as better gameplay and productivity.

Thanks again!