Sign in to follow this  
breeeze

Building new PC actually for serious this time

So after last years attempt to get a proper rig failed due to lack of time and dedication I finally want to get rid of my 8yo :potato:

Goal is to get a decent machine that lasts several years without having to do major upgrades and is mainly used for music production and WoT and costing me at the very most 800€ w/o peripherals and OS. 

Here's what I've got so far using Logical Increments and pcpartpicker,  no fancy research because that's a pain with a phone. 

PCPartPicker part list: http://de.pcpartpicker.com/p/2Ydb99
Price breakdown by merchant: http://de.pcpartpicker.com/p/2Ydb99/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor  (€204.95 @ Mindfactory) 

music production requires a good balance between single core and multi core performance so this seems like the best choice. I'm not sure about seperate cooling, i won't overclock and don't worry about a bit of noise so it seems rather useless to me. 

Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Anniversary ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  (€84.27 @ Mindfactory) 

Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Red 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  (€52.73 @ Mindfactory) 
Storage: Sandisk X110 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (€61.92 @ Mindfactory) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (€53.82 @ Mindfactory) 

nothing fancy needed here, fine as long as it isn't China trash. I'm looking for maximum bang for my buck so spending money on a 0.1% performance increase isn't something I want to do.

Video Card: HIS Radeon R9 380 4GB IceQ X² OC Video Card  (€226.79 @ Mindfactory) 

here i just have no idea. 380 worth it vs something like 280 or 280X?  What about 2GB vs 4GB, it's about a 40€ difference. right now WoT is my most demanding game but running current games at a decent framerate and being able to use 2 1080p screens would be nice too. 

Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case  (€80.05 @ Mindfactory) 
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  (€43.66 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-14 DVD/CD Writer  (€15.62 @ Amazon Deutschland) 

again nothing fancy needed. 

Total: €823.81
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-28 16:23 CEST+0200

767€ disregarding shipping since it's free with Mindfactory after midnight. 

any advice from you guys would be great :tomatard:

Nitpicking thoughts:

Although I also have a Seagate HDD, I would recommend a Western Digital brand of HDD simply due to its higher reliability/longevity rates.

Get a better brand/quality of PSU by looking at the PSU tier list on tom's hardware.

I'd recommend a Seasonic M12 520W simply because it's fully modular and rated higher.

Other than that you are getting some good bang/buck ratio judging by what's available.

Do keep in mind the Asrock Z97 anniversary was mainly made for the Intel G3258 and when it comes to mobo's, you get what you pay for.

Have you thought of an nvidia video card? I've always used amd, and their constant driver fuckups are pretty annoying sometimes, usually forcing me to roll back.And even though I'm more of an amd enthausiast, but I'm kinda looking into an nvidia card as my next one. However I'd wait till proper dx12 games appear, and then check the performance differences between amd/nvidia before buying anything.

btw- Hardversand.de ihat Insolvenz angemeldet

Looks pretty good so far, but ofc I 've a few suggestions:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor  (€204.95 @ Mindfactory) 

consider this one for 50€ more - slight faster and 8 instead of 4 threads

Intel Xeon E3-1231 v3, 4x 3.40GHz, Sockel 1150, boxed (BX80646E31231V3)

Also invest ~30€ into decent CPU cooling. Your ears will thank you in the warmer months, as the Intel stock cooler becomes a "Krawallbruder" under heavy load in summer.

http://www.amazon.de/dp/B00OB40ULU/ref=asc_df_B00OB40ULU28448955?smid=A1XCF8DLK3OC2Y&tag=geizhals10-21&linkCode=df0&creative=22514&creativeASIN=B00OB40ULU&childASIN=B00OB40ULU

Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Anniversary ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  (€84.27 @ Mindfactory) 

for 5€ more you get a board with 5 years warrenty

ASUS TUF Vanguard B85 (90MB0GN0-M0EAY0)

Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Red 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  (€52.73 @ Mindfactory) 
Storage: Sandisk X110 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (€61.92 @ Mindfactory) 

25€ more gets you a decent 250GB SSD - double the capacity for 40% more cash? Hell yes!

Crucial BX100 250GB, SATA (CT250BX100SSD1)

Also the model you selected - nope. Either use a Crucial BX100 or Samsung 850 Evo (slightly better)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (€53.82 @ Mindfactory) 

I 'd take this one because I know it's a single platter drive - less mechanical parts, less potential trouble. And it's a little cheaper ;-)

http://geizhals.de/western-digital-wd-blue-1tb-wd10ezex-a795106.html?hloc=at&hloc=de&hloc=pl

Video Card: HIS Radeon R9 380 4GB IceQ X² OC Video Card  (€226.79 @ Mindfactory) 

here i just have no idea. 380 worth it vs something like 280 or 280X?  What about 2GB vs 4GB, it's about a 40€ difference. right now WoT is my most demanding game but running current games at a decent framerate and being able to use 2 1080p screens would be nice too. 

1) 4GB doesn't improve the performance of the 280 aka 380 (the same carded slightly higher clocked from facory)

2) The 280X is faster by around 10% and comes with 3GB. This model/cooler is very good. Same price as that 380 you linked

http://geizhals.de/sapphire-vapor-x-radeon-r9-280x-tri-x-11221-20-40g-a1126377.html?hloc=at&hloc=de&hloc=pl

Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case  (€80.05 @ Mindfactory) 

Personally I dont like the look of that case and Corsair isn't what it used to be quality wise. Personally I 'd go with Fractal Design - for around 80€ you can get a Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl, schallgedämmt or a Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (FD-CA-ARC-R2-BL).

Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  (€43.66 @ Amazon Deutschland) 

Nope, nope, nope - you dont pay 800€ for PC hardware only to pair that of with a low cost PSU. Get yourself something decent like the Cooler Master G550M 550W ATX 2.31 (RS-550-AMAAB1) or the Sea Sonic M12II-520 Bronze EVO Edition 520W ATX 2.3 (SS-520GM2).

There is a reason that EVGA PSU can be had for less than 40€ with only 3 years warrenty ... .

Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-14 DVD/CD Writer  (€15.62 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Consider a DVD-RW/Blu-Ray  LG Electronics CH12NS30 schwarz, SATA, bulk (CH12NS30.AUAU10B)

@GamerDaPro :If you can find me an nVidia card with similar price and performance,  yes please

@Folterknecht: So what you're saying is "screw your 800€ budget and pay 1000€" 

cpu: nope, I won't pay more than 200 for a CPU and 0.1GHz is nowhere near worth it imo

cooler: I was expecting that answer. I'll have to carefully look into it, it's "just" 35€ but it still busts my budget 

mobo:haven't really looked into that too much yet, just chose one of the popular ones. Thanks for the suggestion, but isn't that one muATX? 

ssd: I doubt I need more than 120GB of SSD but I'll look into it nevertheless

hdd: thanks, will take that one

gpu: thanks! (yours is 10€ more btw, doesn't consider shipping ;) ) 

case: It's  called personal taste for a reason :P.  My decision isn't final though so I'll consider your suggestion. 

psu: ooops, i thought EVGA was respectable. Thanks for clearing that up. 

drive: I don't own and don't plan to ever buy a Blu-ray so Ill pas that one up. 

TL;DR: thanks for your suggestions, I will consider them. 

The Xeon is a good choice since you'll barely use the IGP in the i5/i7 anyway ;)

For the CPU cooling the Cooler Master Evo 212 could do the job just as fine as the BeQuiet (same price bracket).

Concerning the 4Go embedded in GPUs, it is all about textures and resolution.
If you're using a conventional FHD monitor, 2 or 3Go will do the job.

As for the PSU, please, please get a 80+ Gold. Can save you about 20 to 30€ a year in electric bill and are in general quieter.

@GamerDaPro :If you can find me an nVidia card with similar price and performance,  yes please

@Folterknecht: So what you're saying is "screw your 800€ budget and pay 1000€"

cpu: nope, I won't pay more than 200 for a CPU and 0.1GHz is nowhere near worth it imo

its not the 0.1GHz but the 4 additional threads. If you dont care about that, there is ofc no reason to buy the Xeon.

cooler: I was expecting that answer. I'll have to carefully look into it, it's "just" 35€ but it still busts my budget 

That one you can add later without problems, but the Intel Stock cooler is really trash under hvy load. Be advised that only Intel CPUs coming boxed (with cooler) have warrenty. Tray model dont have that.

mobo:haven't really looked into that too much yet, just chose one of the popular ones. Thanks for the suggestion, but isn't that one muATX? 

Yes its µATX but can be mounted in midi towers, because nearly all these towers also support µATX boards beside regular ATX boards.

ssd: I doubt I need more than 120GB of SSD but I'll look into it nevertheless

120GB SSDs are just bad price/capacity wise nowdays and usually a little slower (u wont notice most times) than 250GB ones.

hdd: thanks, will take that one

gpu: thanks! (yours is 10€ more btw, doesn't consider shipping  ) 

Wasn't MF also the offering that one for the cheapest price? That aside the GTX 960 would be NVs offer in the price region around 200€, but its slightly slower than the 280/380 - the 280X beats all 3 of these cards.

If you go with the 280X - stick with the one from Sapphire with Vapor Chamber. Many other models from different brands, suck compared to this one.

case: It's  called personal taste for a reason .  My decision isn't final though so I'll consider your suggestion. 

Thats why I wrote "personally"

psu: ooops, i thought EVGA was respectable. Thanks for clearing that up. 

Usually they are, but they also sell 1-2 products that arnt that good. The only PSU brand I know that doesnt sell any duds is Seasonic.

drive: I don't own and don't plan to ever buy a Blu-ray so Ill pas that one up. 

I made all suggestion to improve the bang for your buck - case aside, as this is mostly a matter of personal taste. I just offered you options mostly for a small price premium.

http://geizhals.de/?cat=WL-579427

I think this will be the most balanced you can get for your ~800€.

Sure you can go cheaper by buying an ATI GPU, but i personal have very bad experience with it so i wont recommend it. They can be good but here also this is in the most case a personal taste.

Never ever save money on your psu, since its one part that lasts longer than every other part in your PC. Not all PSU's are great only because they have a big name on it. Go with something reliable.

Changes can be made:

- Case (because this is personal taste)

If you want so save up some money:

- downgrade CPU to i5-4460

- get a smaller SSD

- dump the extra CPU cooler and go with the boxed one

If you have some more spare money:

- upgrad CPU to a Xeon E3-1231v3

- upgrade GPU (but i think for your setup it isnt even needed)

If not to much overpriced do yourself a favour and order everything via Mindfactory.

If you need any further help let me know

It's kind of ironic that it's the PSU that finally failed in my old pre-built PC, isn't it.

Thanks for your inputs, I'll probably go with the middle road, upgrading the PSU and SSD (probably better in the long run) and for now dumping the cooler, as I have never had problems with the stock cooler on this PC. With the amount of people recommending nVidia GPUs though I'll really have to have a good thought about 960 vs 280X.

And yes, I already figured out Mindfactory is the best choice :P

Like others before me I strongly recommend aftermarket cooler I went with Noctua (~70$), because I cared for a silent working PC (and I really never hear the CPU fan), but if the noise isn't your problem then I heard even EVO is way better than stock intel cooler (but the one recomended by Folter is probably better).

I've made 100% load 24h tests for my CPU in summer time (June last year) and the temperature's:

- CPU Temperature While Idle 30.0° C

- CPU Temperature Under Load 56.0° C

EDIT: Folter with that link below you reminded me just how painful it was that I bought gtx 770 month before they announced 900 series =.=

As i said GPU is personal preference. Of course you can argue with performance rating but AMD vs nVidia is an endless discussion, because everybody made other experiences. So he has to make is own choice on the GPU i would say.

Last question, I pwomise :3

Is there any significant difference between H97 and Z97 that I should worry about? From what it looks like the only difference is that H97 only supports 1600MHz RAM, which doesn't matter for me, since I'm gonna get 1600MHz RAM (duh) and only 1 graphics card, which doesn't matter, since I'm only gonna get 1 graphics card (you guessed it).

Asus has a cashback campaign going so I could get the H97-Pro Gamer for effectively 75€ (http://geizhals.de/asus-h97-pro-gamer-90mb0jw0-m0eay0-a1140610.html) seems like a pretty damn sweet deal to me.

Edited by breeeze

What is this "Google" thing? :surprisefish:

So spec wise the cards seem to be identical apart from the chipset so H97 Pro Gamer it is. Actually puts me below 800 bucks again while including a 250GB SSD and a Corsair PSU, nice.

Why do you think I linked the Seasonic and Coolermaster PSUs? Corsairs lower price PSU usually also arn't that great.

The HX and AX series are great PSUs, the rest arn't china crackers for sure but I ve the feeling the put more money into marketing than developing these PSUs. That's the thing with Corsair nowdays - marketing and image.

I really couldn't care less about which manufacturer builds the PSU as long as it's modular, 80+ Bronze and runs fine, I'll probably just pick the one that is cheapest on the day that I order, which atm is the Corsair one.

I really couldn't care less about which manufacturer builds the PSU as long as it's modular, 80+ Bronze and runs fine, I'll probably just pick the one that is cheapest on the day that I order, which atm is the Corsair one.

When it comes to PSUs you really should care about brand. Basically brand popularity = reliability. If you get a cheap one from an unrecognised brand, you're risking all the 100's you spent on the other components. It really is THAT important. That said, I have a Corsair semi-modular PSU which I've had no problems with and is very highly rated: Amazon link: Corsair 600W Bronze Semi-Modular

Also, you might want to consider getting the slightly more expensive i5 4690k. Its a very highly rated processor because of its cost and ability to be overclocked. So while you don't need to overclock it now, you have the ability to in the future to get better performance without spending more (though you might want a better cooler at that point to be sure). Link, best seller on UK amazon for processors: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00KPRWB9G 

PCGamer's "Best Gaming Processor" has detailed it with a review, so you might want to read about it: http://www.pcgamer.com/the-best-pc-gaming-cpus-processors/

Well I prefer my PSUs with low Ripple&Noise - these low price Corsair units are just bad compared to the competition (see above) when it comes to that. Ripple&Noise (DC output quality) influnece the longevity of the other components in your system.

Edited by Folterknecht

When it comes to PSUs you really should care about brand. Basically brand popularity = reliability. If you get a cheap one from an unrecognised brand, you're risking all the 100's you spent on the other components. It really is THAT important. That said, I have a Corsair semi-modular PSU which I've had no problems with and is very highly rated: Amazon link: Corsair 600W Bronze Semi-Modular

Also, you might want to consider getting the slightly more expensive i5 4690k. Its a very highly rated processor because of its cost and ability to be overclocked. So while you don't need to overclock it now, you have the ability to in the future to get better performance without spending more (though you might want a better cooler at that point to be sure). Link, best seller on UK amazon for processors: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00KPRWB9G 

PCGamer's "Best Gaming Processor" has detailed it with a review, so you might want to read about it: http://www.pcgamer.com/the-best-pc-gaming-cpus-processors/

Well, the 4590 is already an upgrade over what I had planned initially (i3/AMD FX series) and the i5s went up in price recently aswell so it's way out of the question, but thanks for the suggestion.

Alright guys, thanks a lot for all of your input, Folter in particular, helps a lot to have some people who know what they're talking about :)

Final build list in case you need to still pull the emergency brake on something: http://geizhals.eu/?cat=WL-585026&wlkey=1f24f50f7c0941744f3bd4e8c2858ef5

I'm actually quite impressed that, considering a total of -30€ for the ASUS cashback and a voucher, I'm still at just about the same total cost I had in the very first post :D

and yes, I went with the boxed cooler for now, there are multiple reasons for that so please don't try to convince me otherwise anymore