JunkersHiryu

The 59 Patton & You: A Brief Review

****This Review IS NOT supposed to be overly serious. We all know it's not worth the money. That being said, STAHPET****

So a lot of you are asking the question... What is it?! Well once you wipe the shock and horror off your face as to how... we'll say striking it looks, it actually isn't that bad of tank.

First how it looks.

0TffEhT.jpg

Needless to say it isn't the prettiest tank out there. But for 55.00 dollars is it worth it? That's the question I plan to answer in this review. 

Pro's:

• It has a gun, of the 90mm variety. It's pen is a tad low, 173mm to be exact. This won't stop you from being effective in low tier games but at tier 10 I can see this being an issue. 250 HEAT is standard for this type of gun.
  • It has a Patton turret.
  • Fairly mobile despite it's weight, 14.8 hp/ton. Very sluggish acceleration however.
  • 7 degree's of gun depression, that's more then any other Chinese tank. Count them! 7! Seven! With 9 to the sides! This is a big deal here!
  • High top speed of 50 KPH!
  • Pretty sure the HEAT round has a higher velocity similar to most APCR rounds
  • It trains Chinese crews.
  • Good rate of fire.
  • Makes good money if you lay off the HEAT.

Con's

• It costs money to buy.
  • It isn't going to win any beauty pageants.
  • CUPOLA! It's HUGE! Remember those gun depressions you had? Well if you crest over a hill everyone (including people on other maps will be able to see you coming) and none of that will matter. Ever.
  • Acceleration is pretty weak.
  • AP pen isn't stellar in tier 10.
  • Armor doesn't actually work because you aren't actually a tank you're just a Cupola.

But will all of that being said I still like the thing! I like Patton's so this is my fault and i'm sorry.

Will you enjoy it? Is it worth the bundle? Is the thank going to become a mainstay in your garage? Most likely not. But you can let the replay help you decide.

I enjoy the tank I feel it has a place in the game but with the bundle pack I feel it's a little steep for what its worth. Overall tank score? 7 or 7.5 out of 10.

Replay and moving picture below!

I honestly think your love for the Patton turret is destroying any sort of accurate report on this tank. This is the first Tier 8 prem that I've seen that I thought: "Wow, I'd rather drive my Lowe instead". And believe me, the Lowe is one fucking piece of shit tank.

173 pen in Tier 10 games? That R2D2-KV-5-sized cupola on the turret? Lol pls no.

Still, to each his own I guess. If you like it that's good.

I posted this in the other 59-Patton thread:

I know people have stated the gun handling is really good, but honestly that's the only thing this tank has going for it. It probably has mediocre camo, it has low view range, the DPM is typical for T8 meds (i.e terrible), the mobility is below average, the turret is trash, the cupola is horrid, apparently it takes a ton of crew/module damage (probably because they are all in that paper turret...). I mean, what's the point? Why would you ever drive this? It's basically a taller, slower, blinder, less accurate, slower loading T95E2 with 100 less HP, a bigger cupola, and weaker modules. In trade the gun handling is better.

Which, yknow, kinda sucks because the T95E2 was (up until now) the worst T8 MT in WoT.

What is your input? The T95E2 is unquestionably the worst T8 medium, and the 59-Patton seems to be an almost strictly inferior version of it. It's getting ~10mm of hull armor and better gun handling in trade for HP, mobility, DPM, view range, a smaller cupola, accuracy, and module HP. The hull is shaped a bit differently, but the general shape is identical. Objectively speaking, I can't see how the 59-Patton could be anything other than terrible. Even if somehow I become convinced that the 10mm of hull armor matters that much, both tanks are easily bottom-rung T8 meds, and T8 meds are already quite terrible.

I posted this in the other 59-Patton thread:

What is your input? The T95E2 is unquestionably the worst T8 medium, and the 59-Patton seems to be an almost strictly inferior version of it. It's getting ~10mm of hull armor and better gun handling in trade for HP, mobility, DPM, view range, a smaller cupola, accuracy, and module HP. The hull is shaped a bit differently, but the general shape is identical. Objectively speaking, I can't see how the 59-Patton could be anything other than terrible. Even if somehow I become convinced that the 10mm of hull armor matters that much, both tanks are easily bottom-rung T8 meds, and T8 meds are already quite terrible.

No I agree with you. The 59 Patton isn't special at all. But it isn't BAD either. It's just really really bland. Have we gotten so used to terrible (and then on the other end of the spectrum blatantly over powered tanks) that one just can't be "Meh" If i had to describe the 59 in one word that would be it.

Perhaps I am off-topic, but this is a disappointing thread. What a drastic drop-off from the professional-style RBS/Garbad's articles that were the hallmark of Wotlabs content in the past and irreplaceable to me as I learned the game. So I feel a little obligated to write something.

There is a typo or grammatical error in almost every single sentence. There are obfuscations about the tank that can basically be classified as lies: 173 AP pen "isn't stellar in tier 10?" It's both "fairly mobile" and has "sluggish acceleration?" 7.5/10 for what is the latest in a trend of increasingly useless premiums? Can you describe the HEAT/AP shell velocity beyond letting us know what it kind of looks like? John Stossel would have something to say about this! I appreciate the work Junkers does as a streamer and I have tuned in on occasion and always found it fun and informative. But the cynic in me sees this review as a lazy way to fill the void left by FTR, RBS, and every other semi-credible source of Tanks info.

Too much negativity, tank is fine. Yet another new premium which seems to be balanced really well (boringly well) against other new t8 non-pref premiums.Tumor is only real (and big) weakness of tank.

Speed: Type59 hull so slightly slow to accelerate, but still gets to 45-50kp/h pretty fast and stays there over slight bumbs.

Gun: Weak point is gold ammo being 250heat which is unreliable against spaced armor/tracks. Otherwise gun is fine for its tier, enough penetration with HEAT to kill typical targets frontally... IS3 and IS6 front hull, JT front hull etc. Handling miles better than type59 of course and fast HEAT speed is nice too. Premium ammo feels about as good as APCR in Panther88, though one has to take more care about switching ammo types when looking tracking shots.

Armor: good for medium. Type59 front hull when angled bullies lot of lower and equal tier tanks. For example if 1390 is not using gold it will bounce most shots frontally in typical situation where 1390 does run in and and tries to empty clip on 59-patton while running past and patton turns to face it all time. Not like STA, CDC hulls etc who will suck in most/every shot from scouts and lower tiers. Turret face armor feels like its about same level as hull front, gives at least some bounces against weaker opponents like scouts and lower/equal tier. Hull sides are 80mm I thing, strong for tier 8 medium. I thing this tank is strong sidescraper IF doing it so that tumor hidden behind corner. But gotta test it more.

Tumor: yes its bad, bad enough that one gotta try specially hide it whenever possible. Sidescrape so that tumor is hidden by corner etc. Couple times happened that I was doing normal hull down peeking over ridge and still got hit after backing to cover as tumor is soo high. User error of course but still, makes this tank unable to use really agressive russian wedge hulldown spots like type59 could.

Perhaps I am off-topic, but this is a disappointing thread. What a drastic drop-off from the professional-style RBS/Garbad's articles that were the hallmark of Wotlabs content in the past and irreplaceable to me as I learned the game. So I feel a little obligated to write something.

There is a typo or grammatical error in almost every single sentence. There are obfuscations about the tank that can basically be classified as lies: 173 AP pen "isn't stellar in tier 10?" It's both "fairly mobile" and has "sluggish acceleration?" 7.5/10 for what is the latest in a trend of increasingly useless premiums? Can you describe the HEAT/AP shell velocity beyond letting us know what it kind of looks like? John Stossel would have something to say about this! I appreciate the work Junkers does as a streamer and I have tuned in on occasion and always found it fun and informative. But the cynic in me sees this review as a lazy way to fill the void left by FTR, RBS, and every other semi-credible source of Tanks info.

No one is stopping you from creating better articles, if your heart so desires. :) 

I know it can be frustrating to not see quality content being pumped out all the time, but the truth is that most of the stuff has already been covered by RBS and other articles on WotLabs. There aren't enough new changes to warrent someone to sit down and write a long and in-depth review/guide. I have myself tried to do it a few times, but then I realised that someone has already covered my topic last year and that the article still holds up (more or less). Less content from WG means less guides/reviews from us.

Another point: You can't expect a super in-depth article about a tank that has only been out for 24 hours. 

I can understand your point that sometimes the grammar and spelling can leave something to be desired, but on the other hand you still understand what people mean and want to convey. For me, as long as the mistakes are not glaring and lazy, I dont mind a few mistakes.

///ON TOPIC\\\

This tank looks like a decent purchase - if you could use in-game gold. For real money it doesn't, in my opinion, warrent the price tag that it has. Stupid bundle making it way more expensive than it has to be.

... oh well what's the point.

Exactly, there is no point to a tier VIII premium if it doesn't enjoy preferential MM. Type 59, FCM, IS-6, Super Pershing, ... these are the perms worth having. In fact, I would rather have a T-34-3 or a KV-5 than a Type 59 Patton.

Being slightly inferior to standard tier VIII tanks is fully acceptable if a tank doesn't see tier Xs. Indeed I consider good tier VIII prefs like the Type 59 or the SP to be among the most powerful tier VIII tanks for exactly that reason. On the other hand, tier VIII prems with standard MM are just sad turds.

Exactly, there is no point to a tier VIII premium if it doesn't enjoy preferential MM. Type 59, FCM, IS-6, Super Pershing, ... these are the perms worth having. In fact, I would rather have a T-34-3 or a KV-5 than a Type 59 Patton.

Being slightly inferior to standard tier VIII tanks is fully acceptable if a tank doesn't see tier Xs. Indeed I consider good tier VIII prefs like the Type 59 or the SP to be among the most powerful tier VIII tanks for exactly that reason. On the other hand, tier VIII prems with standard MM are just sad turds.

yeah  I have the t54 mod1 and that was the biggest waste of gold ever

Type 59 also has 7 deg of depression

This has 9 to the sides.

having a patton turret with a tumor larger than the mantlet is a pro?

This review isn't exactly supposed to be completely serious. I'm guessing a lot of you can't actually gauge my sarcasm at all.

My "Article" isn't supposed to anything like that. It's a short review i put up in literally 5 minutes after being up almost 17 hours because all i do these days is make video's trying to show people what they are walking into when they invest hundreds of dollars on these tanks as they rush to Tier 10. If you really want to nit pick everything did you watch the video? It TURNS FINE but cannot accelerate is what that means. No i don't have stats on the thing at, i can't describe a thing. I asked Wargaming for actual info they couldn't give me any at. I'm sorry i wanted to just put a video out there to show you what  it was like while trying to be funny. I'll stop doing that.

But why would the worst/one of the worst T8 med in the game just be "meh"? I know I'm giving you a hard time here, but it pains me to think people will actually be spending their money or gold on this :(

People are going to buy it regardless of what I say. I realize that the tank isn't the best but I enjoy the thing, i also didn't have to pay for it so i don't feel any remorse either. But how bad is it actually? I gave it a 7.5 because I enjoy it. Just like i enjoy the JT over the Waffle 4. 55 smackers is a lot to spend on this tank because it is just so meh. But if it brings you enjoyment instead of stats is it still really a bad tank?