Bobi_Kreeg

O-I Experimental

Will have this today after finishing up the Type 95 grind, but from playing nothing but tier 4 since patch drop it's safe to say this will be the clubbing tank at tier 5.

Tier 3s cannot pen the thing period and everything non TD at tier 4 (barring the Matilda) requires gold to even stand a chance damaging it straight on. For all intents and purposes it is a KV-1, just enlarged.

Unlike the KV-1 the main weak spot looks to be the turret, everything tier 5 and above will pen it, although sidescraping this thing should be as ridiculous to dislodge.

The reason why a KV-1's armour still superior is due to its compact armour profile combined with autobounce zones and trollish spaced armour on the sides. This allows for diamond angling, something the O-I Exp is not as adept at.

Diamond angling will still be effective in the same instances, the O-I Exp has a good chunk of spaced armour on the lower half of the hull (only the upper half above the tracks looks to be missing it) that will trick the pubbies. The main difference is the size makes its harder to bait bounces with the O-I Exp, especially against higher tiered tanks. Well, unless you choose to simply ram them to death :P

Mobility and firepower are a bonus for something that is that size. The 10cm has pen and reasonable accuracy plus reasonable aim time plus it can move some for a fat lass.

Sitting at 1700 DPG, it's just lolz. Did the grind to the 6 in what felt like a few games, was more but it was just trolololol.
Looking at the armour on the tier 6 is just making me lol.

I just rammed a KV-1 from 3/4 life to zero. Then turned my tank and rammed a Jackson to death. The game before a T34-85 at 3/4 life decided that ramming my tank might be a good idea. I'm definitely keeping this tank at tier 5 and equipping it with a spall liner for more lulz. 

I can't think of anything more frighteningly then a 100 ton beast barreling down at you at 35+ kmph.  

I haven't been doing that great, honestly. Between the 75% crew, stock grind (with 75, not derp, I couldnt afford the derp's HEAT), lag, and very bad luck with my matches (T7 games on Malinvoka, all day every day) my DPG is a pretty meh 1,047 with a laughable 44% winrate :(

I cry when I see an O-I with 75mm gun. Why would you do that? :-(

Derp is good enough with regular HE too. I've been one-shotting tier 5 tds all day. DPG after 10 games with it is 1400, and I even made some cash. It's not much, but it's profitable.

Edited by Bobi_Kreeg

Tank is all about that alpha and trading shots with folks who have less.

I switched to 10 cm cannon and I started losing games. 300 dmg seems like a big nerf after playing around with 360 alpha HEAT and an awesomesauce HE round for soft targets. Reload is the same. :(

Glad to hear that people are finding this thing fun. It looked fun from the preview stats and I intend to start my journey in this line at this tier.

Looking forward to some fun derping around, even if for someone like me there will likely be many quick deaths due to the fact it has no armour.

Picked it up this morning and started the grind. Completely stock, 5 games in. 4 wins but fairly low average damage due to getting trolled a few times with the HE rounds.

First impressions: absolutely hilarious when top tier. Here the armour can bounce some things with angling, and the alpha on the derp means you can one-shot a lot of lower-tier tanks. Very competitive in tier 6 games, as the derp can still pen most targets, especially if you can get some nice side/rear shots or attack soft targets (TDs in particular are juicy). Still useful as bottom tier due to derp abilities, but you'll die very quickly due to the armour being paper. High tier arty in particular is something of a death sentence.

Mobility is surprisingly awesome. Hits top speed pretty quick and can hold it reasonably well. Turns very slowly but can shift and move around like some of the slower mediums. Very useful.

I like it so far, it's lots of fun.

Edited by Balthazars

Ok having unlocked it and ground out the top gun it's safe to say the KV-1 analogy fits this thing like a glove. The only stuff tier 5 and lower you have to watch out for are those tanks that already cause the KV-1 problems. When top tier it's OP as hell, it hits 40 km/h on flat ground without even trying and will two shot nearly everything you come across, if not straight out one shot (lol poor tier 3s). The reverse angling is especially hilarious, no one seems to realize yet that the ass is as well armoured as the front. Don't even have to mention the weight, rammed off everything but 10 HP from a Pz III/IV trundling up to him at a paltry 20 km/h :D

When middle or bottom tier you're basically support, but the speed and alpha strike gives the O-I Exp a distinct advantage over the KV-1, you can deal noticeable damage and relocate in a good amount of time. The gun depression alone is enough to make up for the lackluster armour when bottom tier.

Only real downside I find is the hull traverse, it's lethargic and could make dealing with lights and speedy mediums willing to side hug you an issue, but that 300 alpha so far seems enough to ward the potential threat off so far. This is going to be one easy grind.

I am of two minds about this:

1. If the players who frequent this place were to play, oh, the T1 regularly, they would rack up outrageous stats in IT, also.  The same is true for all of the good V tanks.  Players at V are not very good.

2. However, I drove this thing a few times today with a pretty pathetic crew, and I just had consecutive High Calibers.  I am not nearly as good as the average WotLabs player.  The big fat thing is pretty darned good. However, the Super Heavy Spall liner did NOT prevent a Grille from hitting me for 680- Ha.

1. If the players who frequent this place were to play, oh, the T1 regularly, they would rack up outrageous stats in IT, also.  The same is true for all of the good V tanks.  Players at V are not very good.

I don't think so. T5 heavies only have so much HP to trade away, and you're regularly getting put up against guns that will deal 30-50% of your HP in a single hit. The O-I Exp. has a big advantage here because it deals a lot more damage for every time it needs to expose. The tank itself is huge, but whether you're an ELC or Maus doesn't matter if you're behind cover anyway.

I cant see even the best players getting more than 1.2-1.4k in their other T5 heavies. I'd need to look some more people up, but I can easily see people averaging 1.5k+ DPG in the O-I.

12cm derp on this is ok only at close range, shell velocity is so shit, it makes the 3.7" howitzer look like laser, and I guess if someone were to let this tank have arty view it can even edge out Fv304 in cancer delivery. 

This things are so horrible I'm really tempted to play arty will full ap rollout.

Fuq you.

:QBFlip::QBSeal::rngfu:

I feel tempted but I wont do it so chill out.  I hate playing arty. I'm kinda grinding the conq gc but i'm doing it ever since it was released and I'm at t8 only it's so boring. 3% of my games on my current acc... (this one isn't mine anyway)

This tank is so hilariously stupid it's insane. When top trier and I know I won't be overwhelmed I just ram everyone. Just rammed a churchill for 2/3 hp and a kv1 for 50%. Seriously this thing would be hilarious even without any gun. Wg failed with this one. Against pubbies when top trier this thing is what mauchen was planned to be. Totally op. 

This tank is just lulzy. Had a game where a Chaffee was trying to slip through and kill our arty.

Although he never expected my 100+ tonne tank to be where I was and accidentally committed honorable sudoku by ramming my tank when he shot round the corner.

We both laughed like twats in chat.

However, I've seen a dramatic rise in the ammount of KV-1 and KV-1S drivers spamming HEAT with the 122mm howitzer they have. Ran into the same guy 3 times last night shooting nothing but HEAT. I mean, ok, you want to pen, but don't be that guy using it on tier 3 tanks just to pad your stats.