Bobi_Kreeg

O-I Experimental

Exp's turret is actually stronger then the hull.

How so?  The turret is 75mm all around, and is a regular hexagon.  The worst possible angle you can get on a regular hexagon is 30° off a straight shot, making that 75mm equal to 83/85/87 versus AP/APCR/HEAT.

The hull is a rectangle and is 75/70/70, and so can basically be angled in a diamond.  This gives a 45° angle off the face.  The 75mm front becomes 98/103/106 - still not great versus same-Tier heavies or TDs or the higher-pen mediums like a 76mm-armed Sherman, but good against most other AP in the tier or lower, or a bad pen roll.  The 70mm sides come out to 91/96/99.

So yeah, the math is telling me that the turret is weaker than the hull, unless there's something about the armor layout I'm missing.  Also factor in the the lower part of the UFP is sloped fairly well, and the upper part is sloped slightly, while the turret faces are completely vertical, with no gun mantlet.

Edited by FlorbFnarb

In essence, it has no armor. It can bounce now and then, it's good enough to make ramming an option and that's about it. What the O-I-X is, is a grossly oversized medium: Fairly mobile, very good HP, very good gun-selection (something for everyone: Derp vs. alpha vs. DpM and all of them are excellent in and of themselves) and good gun depression. It's flexible and can shift flanks or exploit openings and it has a level of agility that hits a lot of people by surprise. More than one Luchs or Ic tried to sidehug me, only to get crushed by a bump with my arse while they run full speed into it. It's easily one of the better T5s and it's not far behind Crusader, T-34 and KV1, if not outright on par with them, given a skilled driver.

Edited by Madner Kami

How so?  The turret is 75mm all around, and is a regular hexagon.  The worst possible angle you can get on a regular hexagon is 30° off a straight shot, making that 75mm equal to 83/85/87 versus AP/APCR/HEAT.

The hull is a rectangle and is 75/70/70, and so can basically be angled in a diamond.  This gives a 45° angle off the face.  The 75mm front becomes 98/103/106 - still not great versus same-Tier heavies or TDs or the higher-pen mediums like a 76mm-armed Sherman, but good against most other AP in the tier or lower, or a bad pen roll.  The 70mm sides come out to 91/96/99.

So yeah, the math is telling me that the turret is weaker than the hull, unless there's something about the armor layout I'm missing.  Also factor in the the lower part of the UFP is sloped fairly well, and the upper part is sloped slightly, while the turret faces are completely vertical, with no gun mantlet.

Its weaker because your hull is never going to be perfectly angled (mostly because its rarely ever worth it to do so) or even angled at all. In 90% of situations your turret will be better armored than the UFP. It's irrelevant that you can't angle the turret since the amount of effort it takes to get the hull to be noticeably thicker is ridiculous.

Rammer, GLD, and spall for the lulz. That 50% reduction is too delicious to pass up.

Spall doesn't give a 50% reduction, it gives a 50% bonus to the armour calc.  So when HE hits your 75mm front armour the game calculates damage based on it hitting 113mm (112.5).  So if a KV-2 derps you in the face for an average roll (910) you'll take a hit for 331 instead of the 372 hit you'd take without a spall (ignoring the possibility of the explosion blooming outward and finding a weaker place the calc damage, in which case the spall does even less)

Spall doesn't give a 50% reduction, it gives a 50% bonus to the armour calc.  So when HE hits your 75mm front armour the game calculates damage based on it hitting 113mm (112.5).  So if a KV-2 derps you in the face for an average roll (910) you'll take a hit for 331 instead of the 372 hit you'd take without a spall (ignoring the possibility of the explosion blooming outward and finding a weaker place the calc damage, in which case the spall does even less)

For me I largely equip it for the crew injury and ram damage calculations, it's why I run my E 100 and E 75 with one each too. Might not be the best setup, but meh I like knowing I'm driving a fat box tank :P

Its weaker because your hull is never going to be perfectly angled (mostly because its rarely ever worth it to do so) or even angled at all. In 90% of situations your turret will be better armored than the UFP. It's irrelevant that you can't angle the turret since the amount of effort it takes to get the hull to be noticeably thicker is ridiculous.

o_O

I usually approach an enemy with a corner of my hull approaching them specifically to maximize hull armor value.

For me I largely equip it for the crew injury and ram damage calculations, it's why I run my E 100 and E 75 with one each too. Might not be the best setup, but meh I like knowing I'm driving a fat box tank :P

Your not alone in using a Spall Liner for those reasons, especially when combined with a Large First Aid kit. I rarely lose crew in a match on average, with it.  

Don't see a need for E.G.L.D, which then leaves an option of Optics or Binoculars for external modules.  Thing is a person can platoon with a spotter if one desires a better vision control option. 

Overall the O-Ix is one of three the top tier five vehicles in the game presently, in my judgement.  Basically its has traits of a tier six level of vehicle found instead at tier five.  Oh, those poor tier three players facing the O-Ix.

Separately, even when a curse.com 'No Fog' mod goes rogue while in a bottom tier match. The O-Ix is workable enough to create opportunities for a winning outcome.

U9xqZwr.jpg

While the O-I-X is pretty darn good, I finished grinding it today. I'll probably move up to the tier 6 O-I even though it appears to be an inferior tank tier-for-tier because:

(1) O-I seems more relevant in BT8 than O-I-X in BT7

(2) Better armor means bully even moar

(3) None of my platoonmates play any significant amount of tier 5s. Tier 6s on the other hand...

(4) Tier 6 is a sweet spot for missions.

I started the grind in this vehicle with 75% crew and no equipment and still loved it. It has a silly gun for its tier, and its speed + weight not only make ramming fun, they allow you to push other tanks wherever you please. 

"I'm sorry, could you please stand over there where my allies can shoot you?"

10 games played, 1550 avg dmg, seems balanced :P

Im using the 10cm though, the derp is a bit to derpy and expensive, need to unlock the engine, but thats only 100 hp, so far, its good

ps: the tier 3 and 4 were also not that bad, eventhough the tier 3 is serious defeat farming, so much bs RNG, lol...

EDIT TUESDAY: im now dealing 1300 avg dmg which is by the highest of any tier 5 tank i ever played, yet im winning only a measly 56%, i lost some games i should won (like getting raped by arty and losing due to that) but its when bottom tier way more useless as even the worst medium, same the total lack of armor greatly limits carry-power when top tier.

TL:DR: i have the feeling this tank is by far the dmg dealer of t5, but its anything but good at actually winning, the lack of armor / size / slow reload / uselessness when bottom tier all effect it negative

Edited by GehakteMolen

10 games played, 1550 avg dmg, seems balanced :P

Im using the 10cm though, the derp is a bit to derpy and expensive, need to unlock the engine, but thats only 100 hp, so far, its good

ps: the tier 3 and 4 were also not that bad, eventhough the tier 3 is serious defeat farming, so much bs RNG, lol...

EDIT TUESDAY: im now dealing 1300 avg dmg which is by the highest of any tier 5 tank i ever played, yet im winning only a measly 56%, i lost some games i should won (like getting raped by arty and losing due to that) but its when bottom tier way more useless as even the worst medium, same the total lack of armor greatly limits carry-power when top tier.

TL:DR: i have the feeling this tank is by far the dmg dealer of t5, but its anything but good at actually winning, the lack of armor / size / slow reload / uselessness when bottom tier all effect it negative

O-I Exp. can do well with bottom matchmaking status, if one can play it like a heavium.  Say AMX M4 1945, IS-2, Comet style. 

It's still pretty good at winning, according to my data. Slightly better than a KV-1, if anything. Just not in proportion to its ridiculous damage output. However, it'll get some winrate penalty from being matched against other O-I Exps.

Expected damage is coming out 36% above the KV-1, which is pretty broken. I'd expect a rebalance. Maybe --dps, +hp.

Grinding this now... 4k away from top engine and then unlocking the next tank... Due to the amount of high calibers I get, the grind is not too frustrating. Armor is a let down, but gun and mobility really made up for it!

Got the 100mm

Hidden Content

Beat this:

http://wotreplays.com/site/2185944#teams

4k dmg on sand river, in a tier 7 game, and lost, because stupid retards in enemy base dont cap (3 tanks, no enemy nearby, they could insta cap and win, but noooo)

EDIT:

now 72 games, 60% win, 1370 avg dmg and 1028 avg exp, 1,5 spots and 2.38 kills/game, totally ridiculous, the most recent tier 5 tanks i played have all vastly higher winrate, but nothing comes even close to the dmg / spots / kills.

Suprisingly though, my T14, all solo just liek O-I exp, 1100 dmg, 1,62 spots and 2.59 kills/game yet 74% winratio and 1100 avg exp, so while O-I deals more dmg as T14, im both killing and spotting more and more important, O-I amor use is 0,38 while in T14 0,95 (T1 heavy also 0,95, T-34 0,35)

I also played sherman III (20 games) and Archer (30 games) recent, but low battle count, both are at 1k avg dmg and 75% win same my T-34 is after 120 or so games at 73%, with 1k avg dmg, so 1k dmg should be enough for ~70% win, yet O-I simply cant pull this, unless i rly got turd teams... (my sherman does get like 2.2 spots a game and armor use not that far behind O-I, so perhaps the spots / mobility are indeed enough to compensate both kills and dmg)

ps: all in all this O-I is kinda interesting, i will keep it till 100 games and see if i can get 3 MOE (i think not, lol...) will move crew first to O-I i think, but not entirely sure yet, im however sure it will get nerfed, the gun is simply to OP

Edited by GehakteMolen