Bobi_Kreeg

O-I Experimental

I rammed one of the small French arties on Westfield going down hill at full speed.  I actually bounced it off of the edge of the map before it exploded.  I felt like an elephant stepping on a mouse.

It was pretty awesome :) 

Holy SHIT they over-nerfed this thing.

That's the WG way though; make a tank OP,  then when it's time to nerf it, overdo it and turn it into trash, I guess.  They nerfed the SHIT out of the mobility and it still has armor that's entirely worthless against anything not in its tier, and even most stuff in its tier...and yet because of 3/5/7 it usually doesn't see anything below its tier.

So in sum: OP tank against lower tier tanks + mobility nerf + meh armor + MM change keeping it from seeing anything below its tier = radically underpowered tank.

Crap armor, crap mobility, meh gun = trash.

Time to can it and move the crew to an O-I.

This tank is extremely busted??? I get that its T5 and a collectors tank so no one cares but holy shit. Insane armor, decent mobility, and a 360 alpha/160 pen howitzer with the highest dpm in tier and such slow velocity that you can literally throw it over walls.

Idk how the stats are so low on this tank, I have to imagine people arent looking at how insane the stock gun on this is and just equipping the peashooter. Gun is nearly on the level of prenerf 105 HEAT from a decade ago.

Tier for tier this has to be the best tank in the entire game.

1 hour ago, Rexxie said:

This tank is extremely busted??? I get that its T5 and a collectors tank so no one cares but holy shit. Insane armor, decent mobility, and a 360 alpha/160 pen howitzer with the highest dpm in tier and such slow velocity that you can literally throw it over walls.

Idk how the stats are so low on this tank, I have to imagine people arent looking at how insane the stock gun on this is and just equipping the peashooter. Gun is nearly on the level of prenerf 105 HEAT from a decade ago.

Tier for tier this has to be the best tank in the entire game.

Granted, I haven't played it since they buffed low tier HP, nerfed HE damage and arties excluding the LeFH (all which significantly help the tank), so my impressions are probably outdated, but to me, the O-I Experimental didn't feel nearly as good as you say it is.

I did play it with both 7.5 cm as well as 12 cm + HEAT. With 7.5 cm, it's like a much slower T1 Heavy with much more armor. Pretty alright, but nothing special and not very fun to play. The 12 cm + HEAT is obviously the best choice for raw power, but even with that gun, it felt like such a hit or miss tank. Top tier and a city map, preferably a small one (Ensk is a heaven for it), it's indeed the most fucking busted thing in the game. It's like the old super OP O-I Experimental that trades mobility (frankly which doesn't even matter on map like Ensk) for even more alpha and basically double the armor. Unless you meet multiple competent enemies that spam gold at you, you WILL steamroll the entire team every time.

But when you're not top tier? Or you get any map where you have to engange things more than 200 meters away (the super slow shell velocity is real pain - every time you get one meme 3rd person shot over a ridgeline or building, you've suffered with super slow velocity 10 times at least)? Or any non-city map with a ton of arty? It suddenly becomes at least five times worse. Like sure, it's absurdly overpowered when its top tier on Ensk, but then you get bottom tier Prok, and it's quite possibly the most useless thing on the planet. The HEAT isn't enough for certain targets (if you can hit stuff in the first place), and the HE does basically nothing to anything with armor now.

But again, my experience is from 2-3 years ago. Back then, you were stuck with 700 HP, every game had 3 arties per team and they could pretty easily 3 shot you. Derp guns were also a big annoyance, as the O-I Exp is (or well, was) bad at taking HE damage, because unlike the other Japanese super-heavies, it has painfully shit roof armor. Those were huge issues for a slow box going 25 km/h back in a day, but they're mostly mitigated now. Also you can mount stuff like Turbocharger, so that helps. Still, it shouldn't affect the main issue of the tank, which is the fact that it's extremely reliant on map and matchup to do well. It's like that in most super-heavies, but it's even worse with the O-I Exp. It's absurdly good in a good matchup, one of the most disgusting things in the game, but in a bad map and/or bad matchup, its absolute hell to play.

Either way, I couldn't find any enjoyment of the O-I Exp. However, it's probably because it's just not the same as the old O-I Exp, which was one of the most fun tanks I've ever played. Not even because it was busted as hell, but also because it was a really unique and super hilarious by itself - even if the O-I Exp was bad but still had that alpha and 40 kph top speed, I would've still loved it. It was a really fast ram machine with huge alpha - there was and still isn't a tank that matches the playstyle of it. While it absolutely needed a get nerfed to shit, seeing a completely unique playstyle be removed from the game is a bit unfortunate.

I think a lot of things have changed in low tiers over the last 3y. Almost everything that would have countered this tank when you played it has been nerfed. Gone are things like the T67, now the best counter you could hope for against this tank is like, a competent, hulldown, lucky, 122mm HEAT KV-1… or just a platoon of leafblowers =(

I challenge anyone to play this in 2022 and not feel guilty. Its super gross. If you cant double the dpg of any other t5 in your garage Id be surprised. Im barely paying attention with years of rust and Im snoozing into 77% WR/6.5k WN8 with enough damage to 3mark some T8s. Theres no way that WR is sustainable, but god nothing else at t5 carries remotely like this. 

I really wish more people played because I want to show off how funny the introduction of commander view was for a cannon like this. I get at least one mortar pen in per match and it makes me giggle every time x3

I've seen bots (actual WG bots with the : around their names) drive these and get top guns. They're pretty beastly when there's no high-pen tanks around to counter them. And even when faced with something like a VK 30.01 with the Konisch, 1k HP at tier 5 goes a long way.