Itchi

O-I: Derp 2.0 - The Derpening

Running this thing, not doing poorly damage wise, but definitely not able to carry as hard as the O-I exp. I feel the doubled armor doesn't make up for the reduced mobility. Though the way the 15cm pounds tanks is quite satisfying.

This tank has another fault; the gun depression cuts down to 6 degrees on the sides.  With how big this thing is, that leads to lulz like getting killed from full hp by a side-hugging churchill 1.  :<

With 150 tons it should be possible to ram it even in dogfight, right?

With 150 tons it should be possible to ram it even in dogfight, right?

When they're approaching, sure, that's usually the best bet.  Once they're along the side, though, I haven't had any luck dealing any notable amount of damage like that.  When that happens, I mostly try to force them into a rock/building and scrape them off that way.

I thought I would like this tank. I knew that the deplorable speed and reload would keep it from being a truly good tank, but I at least expected it to be a fun pubbie tank. The number of bullshit bounces I've got with AP and HEAT shells have been shocking.

Bounced the front of an M6 with HEAT

Bounced the lower plate of a Pershing (maybe I hit the pike right above it) with HEAT

Bounced the front of an SU100Y with AP

Bounced the FRONT OF A JP4 TWICE with HEAT

I load a mix of 20 AP, 20 HEAT, and 20 HE and switch depending on what tank I think I'm going to hit. The problem is that a good deal of the time the non-HE shells refuses to pen when they should. I could just derp with 100% HE, but I feel that the 130 and 150 pen on the other rounds would be wasted.

If you think that's bad, I gave a Leopard (the T5 scout) 2k damage blocked by bouncing HEAT shells on him. The biggest difference between the 150 and the 152 seems to be the lack of guidance by Stalin.

Told you so stalin_2.gif Firing non-HE shells from ~150mm howitzer isn't reliable.

If you think that's bad, I gave a Leopard (the T5 scout) 2k damage blocked by bouncing HEAT shells on him. The biggest difference between the 150 and the 152 seems to be the lack of guidance by Stalin.

Lies, the glorious hands of Hirohito guide the O-I's shells to victory over the enemies of Imperial Japan.

Don't believe me?

In this replay, I hit so many shots that shouldn't have...the derp sniping was fun.

I would like to add that my team was terrible, only three of them did over their own HP in damage. Also I didn't have any mods installed so sadly I didn't realize the AT8 was a 44% player. Technically I probably could have engaged a full HP 44% AT8 with a 30 HP O-I to get the Pool's medal, but I felt securing the win was more important. Especially as all it would take would be one lucky pen or HE round to bring me to an end.

Also our SU5 was miserable and maybe out of ammo too.

Addendum: Speaking of Hirohito's guidance, I actually penned the front of a JT88 with an HE shell for over 750 damage in the O-I. Not sure where the fuck I hit him (I haven't checked the replay) but can confirm the RNG is strong.

Edited by Razavn

Running this thing, not doing poorly damage wise, but definitely not able to carry as hard as the O-I exp. I feel the doubled armor doesn't make up for the reduced mobility. Though the way the 15cm pounds tanks is quite satisfying.

Still having the same problem. and wtf is with the MM? I've had 3 battles out of 30+ as top tier, thats it.

Alright, I'm basically about done with the O-I now. My opinions havent changed too much, but I'm more confident than ever that those of you playing this with the 152mm are doing it wrong(tm).

Still having the same problem. and wtf is with the MM? I've had 3 battles out of 30+ as top tier, thats it.

Same here, I never get to play top tier in this thing.

Edited by Rexxie

Thank god I thought I was the only one, been getting nothing but tier 8 matches with the occasional tier 7 thrown in to remind you how the O-I is supposedly a tier 6 tank. Seriously wondering how heavily weighted the O-I is because none of the other tier 6 heavies I've played have ever been bottom tier as much as this.

That MM combined with the slow speed is really starting to get to me though, a lot of the time I can barely get two shots off before getting whalloped by some tier 8, smashed by arty before lumbering behind appropriate cover, or simply unable to catch up to the rest of the team as they steamroll the opposition. Really struggling to find a way to make the O-I work, right now I'm averaging less damage done in this thing than in the O-I Exp. (1.1k to 900), and that's with running the 100mm.

Alright, I'm basically about done with the O-I now. My opinions havent changed too much, but I'm more confident than ever that those of you playing this with the 152mm are doing it wrong(tm).

On the 15cm hate, what makes you say that? We have about the same avg damage per game, and being as you are a significantly better player, I would expect you to have significantly better damage, especially with -superior-(in your opinion) equipment, no? Unless this thing has such a low skill ceiling that it doesn't take much skill to reach it, poorly outfitted or not.

Back on the MM, I managed to finish this thing out grind wise in just over 40 battles, and drag my WR up over 58%. It may stay in my garage for a while, but I don't know how much play time it will get until I find out how it's weighted.

Although at nearly 1500 dpg, its not a bad tier 6, and may just get played that way as I derp tier 8s in the face with HE, regardless if it's weighted like a tier 7 heavy or not >..>

Pulled a 70% WR last night running 4 O-Is and 3 KV-2s in T6 stronks.  DERP HARD.

The thing that makes the O-Is retarded OP in stronks is that against fastbois they can take their time to aim and oneshot everything with AP, other than other O-Is. the 150mm front AND rear armor makes them hard to flank when covering one another.

My O-I run was one of the unluckiest runs I ever had, please don't take my stats in it into account. I had something like 15 straight losses in a row, and for most of the grind I ran the 15cm. Every time I swapped to the 10cm, my DPG skyrocketed.

I am actually quite enjoying the tank with the 15cm. The 10cm is probably a better gun for the tank but the 15cm is just so much more fun. Admittedly I have been rather fortunate that I have gotten quite a lot of top tier games (except today and the latter half of yesterday). Even in tier 8 games the 15cm work pretty well for me. I generally don't fire much HEAT at things unless it is something I know I can probably pen with HEAT but not with HE. I don't really mind blapping tier 8 tanks for 200 at a time. I can blap things at silly angles that the 10cm couldn't like heavily angled side armor or something. I think I've only had a few games where I wished I had the 10cm and it was normally because I did something stupid and got myself in a bad situation.

To me those "I need to shoot at silly angles or against silly armor" type situations aren't all that common. It has 200 pen AP at T6, which imho is really great and will pen almost anything outside of T8 heavies with a lot of reliability. The damage output is really the big difference here - with the 15cm you really need to gamble on AP to get anywhere near the damage output of the 10cm. In just a couple minutes with the 10cm I can come out of a situation with upwards of 2k damage.

Edited by Rexxie

To me those "I need to shoot at silly angles or against silly armor" type situations aren't all that common. It has 200 pen AP at T6, which imho is really great and will pen almost anything outside of T8 heavies with a lot of reliability. The damage output is really the big difference here - with the 15cm you really need to gamble on AP to get anywhere near the damage output of the 10cm.

I must put myself in shitty positions then because I probably have it come up two to three times per game in tier 8 game. Though if I were using the 10cm I wouldn't be taking those shots but there is a much higher chance of getting shot back. 

Though I agree that the 10cm is probably a better gun to use. It has better DPM, better handling, 175 AP pen which is quite enough for most things, but it lacks one important quality; the 10cm doesn't make me giggle like a school girl when it pens. Maybe now that I'm more comfortable with the tank I'll give it another run with the 10cm.

Edited by Inciatus

To me those "I need to shoot at silly angles or against silly armor" type situations aren't all that common. It has 200 pen AP at T6, which imho is really great and will pen almost anything outside of T8 heavies with a lot of reliability. The damage output is really the big difference here - with the 15cm you really need to gamble on AP to get anywhere near the damage output of the 10cm. In just a couple minutes with the 10cm I can come out of a situation with upwards of 2k damage.

*sigh*

I'm an idiot.

I didn't even look at the 10cm when I first got the tank. -Assumed- it was the top gun for the Exp, and skipped it entirely.

Go me.

I'll equip it next time I play and see how I like it, which I should based on it's stats.  Almost a low sprem pen/ low alpha 122 off the old 1s.

Ok, yeah I totally agree with the 10cm being better.

That thing let me solo two opposing O-Is -twice- in back to back battles... when they were right next to each other. 175 pen is -great- at tier 6 and a 200 pen gold round helps with tougher tier 8s, like punching through the UFP of KV-4s.

Mobility is still hampering, and armor becomes more of a liability than a gift at tier 7 and 8, but the 10cm makes the thing much much better.

Edited by Buffalo444

Jesus this thing is wrong. The Exp was op but at least when I saw it on my flank I knew I could beat it. This? It's the question of "do i have enough pen" if not, i go other flank untill I can avoid frontal engagement. It makes no sense.

On the other hand this tank is so screwed if enemies have a couple of is-3s or worse 110s.

Edited by hazzgar