Smbakeresq

Playing with a Purple on your team

I watch streams and I hear the Purples complain often about playing with people of my skill level.  The complaints are not about the skill level itself, but getting in the way of the purple player, crowding him, blocking his shots etc.  However, I have had no complaints from any purple I have played with, but they might just not be screaming at me in chat or post game.  I wanted to check if my theories on playing with much better players are correct, so I thought I would get a response here.

I believe/do when playing with a purple on my team:

1. The purple player is better than I am
  2. Never get within a tank width or length of any tank, don't crowd people.
  3. His tank is worth more to winning then my tank is since he is driving it.
  4. He is better at putting out damage then me.
  5. He will probably go to the right spots, so
  6. Its not a bad idea to go to the same general area.
  7. In all cases try to ram and kill the moron(s) who will try to XVM YOLO him.
  8. Its probably better to play in front of him and let him shoot around me as he will adjust faster and better in that situation
  9. Its better that I take a hit then him to conserve his HP because his HP is worth more to winning then mine
  10. In late game situations I want to be spotting for the better player since he will react faster and handle the situation better

This hurts my contribution to the game damage wise, but maximizes the purple players contribution to the game; that's ok since he will contribute more over a period of time then I would so the net contribution is higher.

I think those things help the better players the most thus helps me win more. 

Is this line of thinking correct? 

You are being very generous(maybe too much since not every one of them deserves it) towards purples in this post, but unfortunately every point you made is usually completely opposite with most pubbies. They will block you on purpose, shoot you and annoy you simply because you're better stats wise than them hence you're a statpadding hacker and their life goal in this game is to grief the shit out of every purple they encounter.

1. His tank is worth more to winning then my tank is since he is driving it.
  2. He will probably go to the right spots, so
  3. Its not a bad idea to go to the same general area.
  4. Its probably better to play in front of him and let him shoot around me as he will adjust faster and better in that situation
  5. Its better that I take a hit then him to conserve his HP because his HP is worth more to winning then mine
  6. In late game situations I want to be spotting for the better player since he will react faster and handle the situation better

No unicum overall, but this stuff I don't agree with:

1. He's in an IS3, you are in an E100. That reasoning is stupid.
2-3. You NEVER know what he is thinking or what he wants to do. What if he goes there to get some quick shots and then relocate, but you are in a slower tank and by the time he left u are stuck there and die? Are you in the proper tank to do the same? Are you going to screw him and yourself over if you do the same?

4. Depends entirely on your tank, if you have a support role, play the support role. There is nothing more frustrating than seeing a leopard brawl or anything along those lines.
5. Bullcrap, he will preserve his HP anyways. You take the shot if you need to take the shot and if the situation arises that he has to take it, he probably wont (just kidding here, many will help you out properly, it doesn't mean that you have to exist only to be his meatshield though).
6. Is your tank appropriate for spotting?!

I bet you see the pattern, it is ALL situational. It depends on your tank, the team setup, the map, his tank, a lot of variables that you can't asess simply in a list. If you keep following the unicum you will die 70% of the times, simply because you are not maximizing your chances of doing good, therefore you will most likely loose the game as well.

Think before you do stuff, use your head, don't try to use someone else's ;) 

I'll second (despite my obvious lack of skill) the "don't follow him" thing. Take your tank where you think you can do best.

The number of games my team has lost because 10 players in every tank type imaginable drive off to follow our one purple guy around like a puppy is staggering.

Even won a few because we've pushed a flank to no opposition, and then discovered most of teh red team centered around the same area as their unicum.

My theory is..

1)Be happy you have one on a team, hope that he is one of the (more common) fantastic players and not one of the (rarer) guy who got his stats through damage farming- watch out for unicum Wn8 with less than unicum WR.

2) Do your own thing, let him play his own game, don't follow him around unless you've died.

No reason to cater to your average unicum as they will use you and be doing things without you even realizing it. It's better to try and do they best you can in every match. But sure, if they are yolo him and he's 1 shot or something and you can eat a shell that's being a good teammate. Trying to be infront of him and losing hp for no reason is not a good thing though. 

I'll second (despite my obvious lack of skill) the "don't follow him" thing. Take your tank where you think you can do best.

The number of games my team has lost because 10 players in every tank type imaginable drive off to follow our one purple guy around like a puppy is staggering.

Even won a few because we've pushed a flank to no opposition, and then discovered most of teh red team centered around the same area as their unicum.

My theory is..

1)Be happy you have one on a team, hope that he is one of the (more common) fantastic players and not one of the (rarer) guy who got his stats through damage farming- watch out for unicum Wn8 with less than unicum WR.

2) Do your own thing, let him play his own game, don't follow him around unless you've died.

These unicums are still unicums. They just need their team to pickup the slack. If a guy can farm 10k damage in a losing match then who failed? His team or him?

No reason to cater to your average unicum as they will use you and be doing things without you even realizing it. It's better to try and do they best you can in every match. But sure, if they are yolo him and he's 1 shot or something and you can eat a shell that's being a good teammate. Trying to be infront of him and losing hp for no reason is not a good thing though. 

These unicums are still unicums. They just need their team to pickup the slack. If a guy can farm 10k damage in a losing match then who failed? His team or him?

I'd argue it depends. 10K sure, 3K damage in a T10 game doesn't necessarily mean you contributed effectively.  But it is enough to get purple.

I want to mention- it's rare, most purple, well actually all purple are (obviously) far better than I am, and 99% of the unicum player base is far more of an asset to the team than I will ever be,

But there absolutely are players who have reached purple stats by either simply farming damage wherever they can, no matter how effective or ineffective it is, or by playing low tier games, and have no real idea how to fight in T10 matches.

Someone who has played 18K out of 20K games at T5 or less and has reached purple status is a better player than I am, doesn't mean they're automatically going to be useful and contribute in a T9 or T10 match,

I'd argue it depends. 10K sure, 3K damage in a T10 game doesn't necessarily mean you contributed effectively.  But it is enough to get purple.

I want to mention- it's rare, most purple, well actually all purple are (obviously) far better than I am, and 99% of the unicum player base is far more of an asset to the team than I will ever be,

But there absolutely are players who have reached purple stats by either simply farming damage wherever they can, no matter how effective or ineffective it is, or by playing low tier games, and have no real idea how to fight in T10 matches.

Someone who has played 18K out of 20K games at T5 or less and has reached purple status is a better player than I am, doesn't mean they're automatically going to be useful and contribute in a T9 or T10 match,

overall stats are not very relevant to look at 

one of the big reasons why I find xvm so useless

Supporting a unicum most the times is like how to lose a girlfriend, being clingy (In this case following and taking hits) is fcking annoying (since you dont know what they are thinking and you can just as easily get in the way by trying to help).

Purples are rare. Just send a friendly O7, ask where he wants support and do your best in the battle.

Don't yolo and don't even think of impressing anyone to fight a purple 1:1.

I watch streams and I hear the Purples complain often about playing with people of my skill level.  The complaints are not about the skill level itself, but getting in the way of the purple player, crowding him, blocking his shots etc.  However, I have had no complaints from any purple I have played with, but they might just not be screaming at me in chat or post game.  I wanted to check if my theories on playing with much better players are correct, so I thought I would get a response here.

I believe/do when playing with a purple on my team:

1. The purple player is better than I am
  2. Never get within a tank width or length of any tank, don't crowd people.
  3. His tank is worth more to winning then my tank is since he is driving it.
  4. He is better at putting out damage then me.
  5. He will probably go to the right spots, so
  6. Its not a bad idea to go to the same general area.
  7. In all cases try to ram and kill the moron(s) who will try to XVM YOLO him.
  8. Its probably better to play in front of him and let him shoot around me as he will adjust faster and better in that situation
  9. Its better that I take a hit then him to conserve his HP because his HP is worth more to winning then mine
  10. In late game situations I want to be spotting for the better player since he will react faster and handle the situation better

This hurts my contribution to the game damage wise, but maximizes the purple players contribution to the game; that's ok since he will contribute more over a period of time then I would so the net contribution is higher.

I kind of have mixed feelings with what you're explaining friend.

Case scenario 1 : Unicum status with 60% WR+ .... Proceed as you've clearly stated (1 to 10, but exclude 7.)

Case scenario 2 : Unicum status with less than 60% WR .... Don't even bother, he's not as relevant as people would think since even with unicum status he's still unable to get past 60% WR. This is not absolute, there's dark horse everywhere of course but that's a strong indicator of a player that doesn't pull his weight as much as he should of.

In all honesty, I'd really like to platoon with you once in a while.

In all honesty I do some of this in game but with greens and blues aswell as purples however it is entirely situational. Say, for example, i was playing a T71 and my team was mostly red except for a top tier, green ST1 player. I would consciously position myself near him to enable me to support him if need be because I acknowledge that he is basically the best chance the team has. There is only so much a bottom tier scout tank can be capable of. If there is no opportunity for scouting then I will play support for him whilst also doing my best to prevent him from getting flanked/rushed. I would not necessarily take shots for him at all unless he is extremely low hp and only then if it will enable both of us to survive ie he is retreating to cover at that point.

Personally I greatly appreciate it ingame if a green or above player comes to support me. It gives you so much more confidence in an engagement that you might actually be able to rely on someone to protect your flank and not yolorush head on in to the whole enemy team. 

What you are doing atm is ok but i would advise you to tone it down a bit and not unnecessarily take damage just so your teams unicum can stay full health. I would suggest going to the same area as he is, prevent him from getting flanked and if he gets rushed then get stuck in and help him out. 

Best of luck and your attitude is a breath of fresh air compared to the usual pubby mentality of he has better stats than me so he must use hax and I better annoy and TK him for cheating!   

I don't think that anyone should try to "serve" any decent player on my team mainly because it's usually counter-productive and the unicum simply doesn't deserve any special attention. You obviously shouldn't use him as a meat shield like you would do to a tomato or carrot but that's about it.

oh yeah and all unicums hack to get their stats so you're supporting cheaters!

Edited by Goldflag

I'd disagree, and argue that tier 10 is one of the hardest tiers to play solo. The majority of my games are in tier 5 simply because of grinding way-back-then in low-tier tanks without premium, but if you look at my past 7-8k games, it's either in tier 8s or higher for the most part. Also, anyone who knows me knows that I'm too impatient to look for a platoon, and the majority of my games are solo-pubbed, which is arguably the worst way to play high tiers simply because it takes a lot of effort to solo-carry at the high tiers.

All that being said, that doesn't make me any-less of a purple than the people I play with. Sure I'm not a "unicum" (don't consider myself one yet either), but I can still play at the same pace other players can, I just play too aggressively to be able to carry my games more often than not. 

I'll do your list in my way:

1. sub-purples are not as good as i am in damage dealing,but it'd be great help if they do as much as they can.
2. don't block my way in and my way out and ffs i was clearly aiming when you pop in my scope.
3. well yea i guess i worth more to winning but there's never too much help.
4. Hell yeah i'm a better DD than y'all pubbies that's why i'm purple.
5. oh crap the team's not going to the right spot,i'll have to go with them and try to do as much as i can.
6. ffs what's this guy doing giving away his flank and keep following me when i'm looking for some shots.
7. XVM snipers i totally saw that coming and my team can't shoot for shet,aiming is hard rip.
8. M******R GET THE F**K OUT OF MY WAY IM TRYING TO DO SOME S**T
9. you were supposed to take a shot not shots.
10. how do you spot for me when you're dead already.

How can you help me when you can't even help yourself.

be part of my team not my biach.

IMO your best option is to just play your tank well and don't worry about the fucking purple, I can guarantee that as long as you're not blocking him or being a cunt then he's more focused on his game than on yours.

And yes, playing your tank well does include not blocking teammates and the like

Play for the win, don't play for/against the purple. In most cases the purple will be happy if you're making the right plays to secure your team the win, independent of whether playing for the win involves paying more attention to him and/or supporting him closely.

Just play your game not someone else's game. Not getting in the way of people shouldn't be special treatment for purples, that should be common courtesy. But in general this whole XVM focus (on your own team and on the enemy team) does more harm to your own chances of winning than it does good. A tank doesn't all of s sudden get a death ray just because the driver knows how to slaughter pubbies and it also doesn't lose its gun just because it is driven by some dribbling windowlicker.

Case scenario 1 : Unicum status with 60% WR+ .... Proceed as you've clearly stated (1 to 10, but exclude 7.)

Case scenario 2 : Unicum status with less than 60% WR .... Don't even bother, he's not as relevant as people would think since even with unicum status he's still unable to get past 60% WR.

Not playing half your game in platoons or padding WR at lower tiers makes stats irrelevant. Makes sense.

Just play your game not someone else's game. Not getting in the way of people shouldn't be special treatment for purples, that should be common courtesy. But in general this whole XVM focus (on your own team and on the enemy team) does more harm to your own chances of winning than it does good. A tank doesn't all of s sudden get a death ray just because the driver knows how to slaughter pubbies and it also doesn't lose its gun just because it is driven by some dribbling windowlicker.

Not playing half your game in platoons or padding WR at lower tiers makes stats irrelevant. Makes sense.

You forgot one thing, he's playing NA. There's a distinction to make here.

There's rarely any unicums who have time to pad at low tier in NA, especially since your avrg DPG will look like sh*t and clans will know what you did. Usually it is done at tier 9 & 10 instead, enhance the reason why he posted this thread for the general opinion of players.

Btw.. I don't really understand why you mentioned ''not playing half your game in platoons".... I do easily 70%+ in solo pubs tier 7 to 10. There's no excuse for not carrying a team.

Btw.. I don't really understand why you mentioned ''not playing half your game in platoons".... I do easily 70%+ in solo pubs tier 7 to 10. There's no excuse for not carrying a team.

Over 10% of your games in Hellcat, that alone drives your overall WR up by about half a percent. And obviously you never platooned, you got 127 BiA medals while playing solo. The sad part is that you probably believe yourself that you can do 70%+ solo at tier 10 consistently.