Bavor

Does Clan Wars 2.0 feel like a grind to anyone else?

One of the big differences I noticed with the new Clan Wars 2.0 is that it feels like a grind.  There is no more, show up at muster, go over the map tactic or training room, fight your battle(s) and be done with it.  

Now you have to run stronghold skirmish teams every night to earn resource and influence.  We need the resources and influence to build up the stronghold, use artillery and air strikes, purchase and maintain the divisions on the map, purchase and use modules, auctions on the map, etc...

Most of the time tier 6 strongholds feel like beating up on baddies or breaking a camp.  So, it starts to get old after a few nights in a row of running fastbois.  The occasional KV-2 or TOG game can keep it interesting.  I feel that I have less time to grind tanks for tier 8 and tier 10 clan wars and less time to platoon with people because we are always ruining strongholds.

I have friends who are officers in other clans and they told me how much influence they need every day to maintain their divisions on the map.  They said that they have to run two tier 8 stronghold skirmish teams for about 2.5 to 3 hours a night to maintain the influence they need.  Now I know why our officers are always telling us to start up a detachment and run strongholds every night.

I saw this on the WoT forums and it sums it up pretty well:

H1jTifC.png

I feel that the grind seems to take a lot of the enjoyment out of clan wars.

WTF is wrong with strongholds. It is literally the only consistently enjoyable part about this game. The only reason we aren't drowning in credit bonuses is because they take 8h to make ;;

(admittedly coming from #1 rated SH clan is bias, but still. everyone knows that fastbois are fun)

and honestly, if you don't want to play in strongholds then CW 2.0 isnt for you. the point of it is to have force activity for gold, rather than just a dead clan farming for months (simp/-g-/etc)

Edited by Luna

WTF is wrong with strongholds. It is literally the only consistently enjoyable part about this game. The only reason we aren't drowning in credit bonuses is because they take 8h to make.

Playing in OTTER? Sure. Playing in any other clan? Not so much. I've never been part of high competitive clan, and it's pain in the ass, I'd rather play randoms.

Playing in OTTER? Sure. Playing in any other clan? Not so much. I've never been part of high competitive clan, and it's pain in the ass, I'd rather play randoms.

Well then its obviously not for you.

And CW 2.0 is fine when you are not in the number 1 rated stronghold clan. You just play strongholds and are not number 1 at it. Shocking. 

If you've never been a part of a competitive clan then how the fuck can you know if you would dislike strongholds?

If you've never been a part of a competitive clan then how the fuck can you know if you would dislike strongholds?

I played them in semi-causal ones? I'm saying about current state of my experience, not what would be if it would be. I'm saying for most guys who aren't in top notch clan like me, things get difficult. I know you guys in OTTER and such clans can pull wins easy, but it gets damn frustrating trying and not achieving much thus not being so much fun.

It takes 100 fastbois wins per day for G to keep its influence level at where it is.

Thats right-- 100 wins every single day. 

Easy pz is an exaggeration for sure. 

It is a lot of time, but the point I was trying to make is that you can definitely do it if you have an active clan.

If strongholds were not relaxing and very rewarding, it would not be.

I played them in semi-causal ones? I'm saying about current state of my experience, not what would be if it would be. I'm saying for most guys who aren't in top notch clan like me, things get difficult. I know you guys in OTTER and such clans can pull wins easy, but it gets damn frustrating trying and not achieving much thus not being so much fun.

Foxey (one of the most casual CW clans out there that actually wins) has tons of fun in them, and they just drive around doing random stuff. Just getting 6 people of similar skill together is hilariously more enjoyable.

Strongholds, particularly 6s, were a fun, relaxing diversion when you played them once in a while or for a few matches per night.  Playing them for hours at a time every night just for the chance at playing CW is awful.  They're incredibly repetitive, which isn't an issue when they're part of varied game modes.  When they are forced to be a majority of your gameplay, the grinding repetition rapidly becomes cancerous burnout fuel.

It's only part of the issue though; the glaring issues with ELO and auctions make quite the stew of horrid design.

WTF is wrong with strongholds. It is literally the only consistently enjoyable part about this game. The only reason we aren't drowning in credit bonuses is because they take 8h to make ;;

(admittedly coming from #1 rated SH clan is bias, but still. everyone knows that fastbois are fun)

and honestly, if you don't want to play in strongholds then CW 2.0 isnt for you. the point of it is to have force activity for gold, rather than just a dead clan farming for months (simp/-g-/etc)

To answer you specifically, the problem is not nearly as acute for top 15 clans as it is for 15-30.  15-30 clans want to play 10s and so have to grind influence like top 15, if not more due to greater losses on the map.  But top 15 clans are made up almost entirely of players with mature CW garages - 10 or more tier 10s, so they have far less need to grind pubs than someone like me, who has 4.

The system works if you have 2+ hours for SHs on top of an hour for CW...the only people that can do that are people with no need to grind more 10s or people who play 4+ hours per day.

Edited by BoilerBandsman

I tend to enjoy strongholds overall, but they became less fun when it was something I had to do 2-4 hrs per night just to keep my clan on the map. A map where at any point, I can get dropped on every province by anyone. A map where half of my CW battles are decided by arty/airstrikes.

Also, echoing what people mentioned above, now with the Clan League, I just really don't understand the time they expect people to have. You need to play your clan league matches, which for the pre-season is taking 2-3 hrs per night, plus 2-4 hrs of strongholds per night, plus any CW you have, hopefully you're using the strongholds to grind back the 600k-1m credits you lost in the clan league, because otherwise you need to grind money to even play pub matches if you want to grind any tank lines. Much less when you need to actually purchase the tanks themselves.

It takes 100 fastbois wins per day for G to keep its influence level at where it is.

Thats right-- 100 wins every single day. 

100 wins per day.  That's one hell of a grind.  Even if you destroy the other teams quickly and only take 3 minutes per battle, that's 5 hours of fastbois strongholds per day or two teams for 2.5 hours each in addition to clan wars.

Foxey (one of the most casual CW clans out there that actually wins) has tons of fun in them, and they just drive around doing random stuff. Just getting 6 people of similar skill together is hilariously more enjoyable.

When we did it for shits and giggles, it was fun and sometimes still is.  However, the amount of time needed to generate enough influence moves it from fun to less then fun.

The gold rewards are also not that great from the land that we are holding now, to get close to what we were making, we need to do what OTTER is doing-- and they need to grind 200 fastbois a day. Now the way influence works Champs and Absolutes are a lot more efficient for influence. Instead of 200 fastbois you just need 40 champs or 20 absolutes. And you can't miss a single day. Not weekends. Not Super Bowl Sunday. Not Thanksgiving or Labor Day. Because if you do, you lose your divisions.

Furthermore, any given night any clan can drop on any or all of your properties. And any time you lose a property you lose all the influence you had invested in it, and you need to grind extra influence to climb back.

I get that encouraging activity is a thing. But as it stands now the influence costs are too high to hold territory, and too low to actually drop on territory. Either earnings will need to be buffed or costs readjusted.

Personally I feel like bottom line of this thread is:

-Strongholds aren't as much as fun anymore because you have to play them to stay competitive.

Yea, that's basically what I feel.  If we only had to run them one or two nights a week at most, it would be a lot more pleasant and wouldn't feel that its taking up all my time and reduce the feeling of it begin a grind.

Nothing like having your clan commander yelling in TeamSpeak because you don't have two strongholds teams running.  "Why the fuck don't you guys get together and form a second team.  We have 9 people in this channel not on a strongholds team. *unintelligible mumbles*  Jesus Christ!  We need that influence! Fuckin' *unintelligible mumbles*" *C.O. leaves channel*

I'd like influence costs to lowered or influence from skirmishes increased 

I agree with that.  It would make the required grinding in strongholds much less time consuming.

Actually, I wouldn't necessarily favor increasing stronghold influence generation, but rather reduce maintenance costs. As it is, landing auctions are cheap, so if you hold 2-3 territories a clan can run up enough influence off the map to come ruin all the hard work you've put in over weeks in one night by dropping on all your territories. That means that in addition to  grinding influence you have to field the 2-3 teams to defend all your territories, failing which you lose your divisions, territories and upgrades. 

If you increase stronghold earnings, you need to increase auction landing costs too...

And I agree, stronks are fun as a diversion, but they get old fast.

You guys are doing it all wrong. The game is a lot funnier without worrying about clan wars and just doing skirmishes for gold.

Skirmishes aren't worth my time either. They are boring and take up too much time. I have better ways of generating income.

I feel like there is a lot of grinding going on with 2.0 and I feel sometimes forced to start up a stronghold when I don't want to but its not that big of a deal and the only thing they need to change for 2.0 is the way that they give out influence, either a lot more for each stronghold fight or give us other means of getting it in a random pub per say by platooning with a clan mate.