Trumpetah

O-Ni

+1 Rexxie. After playing it for 50 games or so. Sums up how I feel about.

Can be hit or miss. Tried the 100mm. Awful, those pen figures are fantasy it feels like. 150mm Derp all the way with AP or HE. If I cannot pen or over match they get HE for lolz.

Yeah, this feels like a hardcore derper. I keep trying the 10cm since I enjoyed it on the T6, but its just godawful a tier higher. +30 alpha and +15 pen arent enough.

edit: Honestly I just cant tell what to use on this tank anymore, or whether it's decent or not, or this or that. It's so situational, I'm getting annoyed that in half of the maps I am utterly irrelevent beyond getting a few supporting shots in before a flank collapses into a victory or loss. This is how the T6 felt too, and I don't see any evidence that this will change. It's certainly a lot more comfortable to drive while in combat, but that doesn't change anything if I never actually get to the combat or am instantly eaten when I do.

Edited by Rexxie

Got the O-Ni yesterday. I didn't get a whole lot of BT9 games so that may have skewed my perception, but the armor felt a little more reliable that the O-I. 175 with a bit of angle seems to offer some protection from the ubiquitous Russian 122s. The substantially larger health pool works too. 

First few games I ran the 150, just unlocked the 105, will try that for the next few games to see how it functions.

The size of this thing is a major issue. Cover which I thought was safe isn't! Arty loves it. The weak ammo rack doesn't help either-- I got full HP ammo racked my an M44 HEAT round in one lowlight.

So. I have played the O-No a fair bit since I got it. I can understand the "worst tank" in the line tag, but it's to do with the fact that the other tanks are so good, it suffers in comparison.

Anyway, finally got an ace tanker game in it. Unfortunately, I forgot to save the replay and take screenshots. Like a pleb. But I will say this - HE killing a full health SPershing while you have <10% HP is funny as fuck.

Where exactly is this thing's ammo rack? About 75% of games it takes ammo rack damage, especially if I angle slightly. Had two outright blow ups as well.

I'm not exactly sure where it is, but I'm guessing it's along the side, similar to how the ammo layout is in a Panther or Tiger tank. I have yet to take ammo rack damage from the front, and usually it's a shot into my side armour towards the front and rear of the tank that gets me. Also, since my crew is my old Japanese medium crew, I have safe stowage on my loader. I guess the ammo rack is quite tough, as I hardly get rack damage and have yet to have my lid blown off by one. 

Got it yesterday, only games were i was top tier or against 3-4 t8 (and no arty-partys yet)

And it feels very powerfull, its a bit faster as O I, both in getting around as while in combat, making it more flexible (it can angle a bit, turn, respond to ppl shooting from a different angle etc.

The slightly buffed derp gun also seems to work fine, since you now have the armor to park in front of same and lower tier tanks, derping them with HEAT for 700 is possible quite well. Speaking of armor, it feels tier for tier much thougher as the O-I, O I bounces almost nothing from t7, this one can bounce t8 a bit, its also more then though enough to resist low tier gold shells, again unlike O I, and when they do pen, 1550 hp is also really nice.

Im so far liking it quite a lot, almost got the 100mm unlocked, but not sure if im gonna use it

Sorta. I mean, it's more like the IS-4; the shoulders are super well armored, but they provide a target if you've angled too much or something like that. Tig P's shoulder issue is horrifying, it's like 100mm front the front, while the O-Ni's are 250mm.

Sorta. I mean, it's more like the IS-4; the shoulders are super well armored, but they provide a target if you've angled too much or something like that. Tig P's shoulder issue is horrifying, it's like 100mm front the front, while the O-Ni's are 250mm.

I wouldn't call them "super well armored", considering they're 25mm thinner than the glacis, instead of 20mm thicker as in the case of the IS-4. You angle the glacis more than a few degrees and they become problematic. Same with the mini-turrets, only the segment where the cannon emerges is 175mm, the rest is 150mm.

I found the armor unimpressive, considering all the sacrifices made for it.

Well, they are super well armored from the front; 250mm is great, you really want people to shoot that when you aren't angled. I never found the shoulders to be problematic regardless; I'd never angle the tank if I could help it due to the paper sides and very thin front wheel. The sad truth was more that the O-Ni is a poorly armored vehicle in general, certainly moreso than the O-I, O-Ho, Type 4 or Type 5. Those flat 175mm cupolas and large 190mm lower & middle glacis is just too harsh for a tank that is poor in both the armament and mobility categories. So yeah, I totally agree the armor is unimpressive - I just don't think the shoulders were really the tipping point.

Luckily the O-Ho improves upon it quite a lot, but less luckily it's not really by nearly enough.

After playing some more games, the armor still feels to weak, its better as I-O imo, since 150 flat means anything same tier tank can easy pen you everywhere with gold, while even with AP many can pen it (KV-85, SU-100, german 75mm guns etc etc)

The main problem is though the crappy gun, im using the derp, since its reliable and it can use the HEAT when top tier, but its not that good, the 100mm seems way worse though...

The tank is kinda fun to drive due to size and lol games, top tier + no arty, but its no keeper (50k left to O ho)

Just lol:

DefeatBattle: Tundra Vehicles: O-NiExperience received: 2.531Credits received: 67.788Battle achievements: High Caliber, Defender, Mastery Badge: "Ace Tanker"

My best game in O Ni both dmg and exp, is now this defeat...

http://wotreplays.com/site/2218926#stats

Edited by GehakteMolen

Stats after 97 123 solo games:

shot_627.jpg

I got the O-Ho now unlocked, will play some more O-Ni first though to train crew and get sixth sense (playing without 6e sense on t7 is alrdy kinda crap, but on t8 i will be a serious con)

Given the tank lacks mobility, dpm (i use the derp), poor crew (95% first skill), size (its rly massive) and strong, but not strong enough armor, i`d say that 66% winratio is quite good, i have a ton of games where i do next to nothing (including like 5 games with zero dmg) but also multiple 4k dmg games.

Its not a keeper, but its also not that terrible, and certainly better as Black Prince / Challenger

edit: played 26 more games to get 6e sense and sold it, its too big / soft / slow to be either good or truly effective. Its imo tier for tier better as O-I, O-I is butter to same tier gold and the common 175 pen guns, O Ni atleats bounces those, its also quite a bit faster and the gun is a tad better

Edited by GehakteMolen

26 games in on this Sashimi Station @ 1660 dpg and have been 15cm derping all the way. I do not think I am great at picking out where to plant shells or using HE to maximize damage, but if you follow the heavy train you will get your damage in at any tier, plus you always net credits.  The HEAT shell I almost never use. 150 pen maybe helps wreck lower tiers, but being HEAT and being a derp gun means you will get trolled hard shooting an easy 8 or KV.  I just roll with HE in those situations. 

Top tier I bully bully and hope my pubbies don't leave me completely alone.  Bottom tier, I just ride second line and shoot over the tougher heavies.  At least in tier 8/9 there are some targets that are still very derpable. 

As many have said, this line is not great: weak sides, trolley gun, huge, goofy front guns (like Rexxie said, just give me a friggin flat armor face, the armor/battle tier/sprem spam etc., arty all weigh against it. But I just love having a big friggin tank, with a big friggin gun, with a super heavy friggin spall liner somewhere in my garage.

When arty hits you for 41 damage, when you get those 900 damage shots onto someone's engine deck, when you track with HE and then ram a tank under you for 10000 damage, when poor, low pen pubbies flee before you and their arrows plinking off or your front sounds like falling raindrops, it is..... perfect cherry blossom. 

The-Last-Samurai-Screenshot.jpg

122mm RU guns can no longer overmatch it. Thats actually somewhat big buff to its side armor, since the side was so shit it prevented it to bounce almost anything. Now you caliber needs to be 126mm or higher to pen it.

I was planning to buy O-Ni back anyway, maybe i really should do it then lol :P 

For some reason I really liked it. The non derp sucks and the soft nips are also a problem but it's relatively fast given its armor, it has enough hp to trade and the gun handles well enough to minimise exposure. My DPB isn't amazing since I fire 80% HE but I ended the grind at 61% which is rather decent for a slow, low effective dpm tank.

On 5/7/2016 at 4:19 AM, SchnitzelTruck said:

eSr6eAS.png

Lower side buffed from 35mm to 42mm on test server. Wont be overmatched by everything it faces anymore.

How about other derp-equiped japs tier 6-8 it sees? And KV-2? This is nice, but not as good as a few more mm could make.

At least I know not to try 122 mm tactic any more. Now more gold needed....

Just finished farming this tank. It was quite a bit of fun tbh. 

The 10cm gun with 190 mm of pen was solid and very usable in close quaters combat.

Angling did help the armour - something I wasn't really expecting and this tank felt like quite the bully at top tier and even at tier 8 games.

With Tier 9s it felt rather weak though.

O-ni.png

It was very much an assault - push the front type of tank, but push the front smartly. The skill cap ceiling was quite low but it was still very enjoyable farm, as long as you didn't get any campy/open/arty heavy maps. 

In towns and on maps without arty you fell like a powerhouse pusher. 

Bullying IS-6 and WZ-111 was very funny, and other low pen tier 8s/7s. 

The alpha is good the dpm is a bit on the low side but still usable.

I just moved onto this from the O-I last night. The O-I feels stronger, tier for tier. I used the 149mm on the O-I, and I'd like to keep using it on this one because I actually find it kind of enjoyable.

I'm definitely weak on "weakspot" knowledge.. the 120 AP pen / 150 HEAT pen is workable at tier 6.. I'm struggling a bit against higher tier opponents with it.

So far I've done a little bit of armor layout research and have come to the following

Tier 7 Heavies

IS/IS-2 : AP at the drivers hatch or cupola. AP/HEAT to the LFP is iffy due to the track links.

KV-3 : HEAT at the drivers hatch or LFP

T-29: AP the MG, try to overmatch turret roof, or HEAT to the lower part of the UFP (iffy).

Church BP: Small part on the UFP that is thin but angled, can be 2x overmatched. (same area to hit as the Church7)

Tiger: Just shoot him anywhere with AP

Tiger P: shoulders or cupola with AP

Tier 8 Heavies

IS-3/IS-6/110 - HE or try to overmatch roof with AP.

T-32 - HE or try to overmatch roof with AP.

Caern - HEAT to LFP, AP to the bottom of the turret (really iffy shot I think).