kolni

M56 Scorpion Review

I still can't get this tank to work, the pen is nice but the damage per shot is so disappointing... the definition of a "glass cannon"  imho is a paper armor tank with low HP and a ridiculous gun. in this case only the "glass" bit applies.

I'm sure a better player can get this tank to work but for a greenie like me the skill level required is to high.

I'm actually tempted to buy this thing.  My first night in the thing was terrible because of shit melting teams, and also because I'm a dumbass and test-drove it with my shit 95% (at the time) Jackson crew instead of my quality Hellcat crew.

Second night was pretty fun apart from a few shots troll-bouncing off absurd targets, like a KV-1 or StuG.

I'm not even sure it's a wise buy, since American TDs aren't a focus of mine, but I am planning on moving up the American TD trees, so...

I dunno.  When does the sale end?

On 2015-11-21, 12:39:48, FlorbFnarb said:

I assume he meant that it could minimize exposure that way, not that it would bounce anything.

In my first 5 games with it I did bounce an E75 round. That's the largest I've bounced in it. But that thing does love to eat shells.

Hull down leaves very little of this tank exposed.

I've been playing this a bit due to the rental deal and find it to be completely mediocre.  I'd rather be playing my Hellcat in a tier 8 game than this thing.  The only good thing about it is the pen.  Nothing else it has makes up for the fact that it is more fragile than a tier 1 tank.  I just rubbed up against one in my E25 driving out of the spawn - and set it on fire!  Everyone should ram these things at any opportunity. 

I'm pretty sure I could take on an entire team of these things in my Pz1c and win.  It'd be fun to try.  ;)

played a few games in it post buff.... it's still a glass cannon with the cannon part actually being a pea shooter.

said it before, will say it again. Waste of money for a greenie scrub like me. skill level needs to be high to make this tank work. Having said that, once you are blue/purple you can probably make any tank work...... steer clear of this POS is my two cents.

14 hours ago, Sexy_Dave said:

Has anyone played this since the buffs? It looks (to me) like it's arguably (if very slightly) superior to the T25/2 as a TD. 

Nothing is superior to the T25/2 as a TD (luv u 4eva bae) 

It's on sale on EU now. Consider picking it up for missions and for fun.

How is it in todays meta? 

I like the good pen and gun depression. But is it fast enough..  and low alpha.

Its barely fast enough. Its standard ammo is great, and HEAT is good enough for its MM. Camo is acceptable. 

Its HP is low, its HE prone like a mofo. I dont mind playing it

Sample size of 13 battles, 62% WR, 1835 DPG. Credit making is pretty good given Ive yet to fire any premium ammo

29 minutes ago, Elkerlyc said:

I am considering this one too. I like my T67 and it seems this is a similar play-style.

This assumption is correct?

Would you recommend buying it?

I hate mine a lot. It's great for farming damage if you can get set up, but lousy at contributing to a changing situation, which is when most games hang in the balance. 

On 9/19/2016 at 1:45 AM, Nicarasu said:

Is this thing at least decent enough to be a better alternative than the T28 HTC? I'm gonna need something to get a crew going for my murica td's once I get back to the line.

M56 Scorpion Is not so good because of only 4 crew members, and different skills. You really need camo and view range skills, while higher tier USA tds need repair, BIA and gun handling skills. 

T28 HTC has same crew setup, and same role - assault gun.

Overall, M56 Scorpion would have been OP 2 years ago, but today it is mostly just a nuisance to play against on maybe 3 maps.

Also, for a dedicated camo sniper, it has pathetic view range of 350, dpm is also not great. You must stay in bush with binos, and farm useless dmg...also it can do some farming in cleanup.

Due to rly good ap round, it makes money (and T28 HTC loses often - since you go against enemy heavies frontally, with about 180/220 penetration), but it is strictly worse in fun factor and carry ability.

5 hours ago, Buffalo444 said:

Is this thing going to be worth picking up during the advent calendar event?

reading through this thread, I'd say no - all you can do is kemp bush george-w-bush.jpg and that's problematic in the current meta, to say the least. You might get an amazing Malinovka game or two but struggle on famous vision maps like Stalingrad for the rest of your playing time

On 19/09/2016 at 7:45 AM, Nicarasu said:

Is this thing at least decent enough to be a better alternative than the T28 HTC? I'm gonna need something to get a crew going for my murica td's once I get back to the line.

IMHO the T8+ Murcunt TDS need repairs more than camo, so if you already have a T34 or T26E5 or even an Aspergershing you can prep fresh crews on those tanks instead.

WG Asia are basically handing these out atm (Tank Rewards).

It got significant buffs way back in 9.15 to gun handling and reverse speed (now 17km/h).

In the context of the current camping map design and tier 7 MM it feels pretty good in the few games I’ve played in it. No Challenger. But the gun handles well for the tier and it winds up to its top speed of 45 promptly.

If only I had a pog T67 crew to put in it (hooray for the increased focus directive).