Rodrigopine

KV-85 TIPS

Hello community,

I just unlocked the KV-85 over the weekend and played a few underwhelming matches, so I just wanted a little guidance.

First, I have the stock 85mm gun which was adequate on the KV-1S. However at tier 6 it seems insufficient. Am I correct in assuming that I'll probably need to rely more on premium ammo until I'm able to unlock the 100mm gun?

Secondly, because the hull is essentially the KV-1S I'm going on the assumption I should try and hull down as much as possible since the turret seems pretty tough? Seems kind of tricky with the -3 degrees of gun depression.

Thoughts?

Be VERY thankful that you are playing this during the era of sprem.  This was a painful first tier 6 prior to that.  

Yes, use judicious Sprem during the research phase.

The thing that makes the KV-85 is the combo of punchy gun, decent alpha, decent armor, decent mobility.  This combo remain potent even as a bottom tier tank.

If you are lacking the mobility or the gun, the tank suffers greatly.  Against higher tiers, trying to brawl is frequently not advisable, even with top configuration.  
Try to make use of the mobility.  You can run with the mediums if necessary, and that would be my default if you are bottom tier. 

If you are playing against higher tier tanks, you may be able to get two shots off for one in return, if you are in a 1vs1 situation.

This is absolutely a more complicated tank to run than one that has great armor or great alpha or great mobility or great gun depression.  It is also a tank that will teach you a lot, and you would do well to master it.  
Bad gun depression tanks can often teach you how to use terrain better, and how to prop yourself to get shots.  One of the most valuable things you can learn watching streams is mobility techniques, and this one is no exception.  Learning to use -3 degrees now will serve you well in all tiers.  

If you haven't already, consider free xp-ing the tracks.  This will allow you to mount more equipment, and give you a mobility boost.  

To be clear, are you running rammer, vents, GLD?  Crew learning repairs?

good luck.

Edited by weesh

Thanks for the reply.

Yes I'm using rammer, vents and GLD. Pretty much swapped crew and equipment from KV-1S. All crew is spec'd into repairs and they're roughly 94-96%. Gonna re-spec commander into 6th, gunner into snap shot and driver into smooth ride and re-train repairs once I'm at 100%.

Looks like I've got some more learning ahead of me. ;)

All crew is spec'd into repairs and they're roughly 94-96%. Gonna re-spec commander into 6th, gunner into snap shot and driver into smooth ride and re-train repairs once I'm at 100%.

Firstly, snap shot and smooth ride are NOT perks.  You can train them normally, without spending gold to respec.  
Secondly, repairs is MUCH more important than these gunnery skills.  I'd never pick them over repairs to get them on any normal heavy tank (AMX 50 100 is an exception)

6th sense is a perk, so respecing with gold makes sense.
Snap shot is the next best gunner skill, so it makes sense to start training that on top of your 100% repairs.
Smooth ride is a good skill, but you could make a case for Off Road Driving or Clutch Breaking ahead of it.  Both of these are also skills, rather than perks, so you can keep your 100% repairs while training the next skill.  My current world view holds that Off Road Driving is superior in this case, since it will give you 2.5% better effective horsepower on moderate terrain, and that also helps your turning as well.  Mobility is important on this tank, so I say maximize it.

Firstly, snap shot and smooth ride are NOT perks.  You can train them normally, without spending gold to respec.  Secondly, repairs is MUCH more important than these gunnery skills.  I'd never pick them over repairs to get them on any normal heavy tank (AMX 50 100 is an exception)

6th sense is a perk, so respecing with gold makes sense.
Snap shot is the next best gunner skill, so it makes sense to start training that on top of your 100% repairs.
Smooth ride is a good skill, but you could make a case for Off Road Driving or Clutch Breaking ahead of it.  Both of these are also skills, rather than perks, so you can keep your 100% repairs while training the next skill.  My current world view holds that Off Road Driving is superior in this case, since it will give you 2.5% better effective horsepower on moderate terrain, and that also helps your turning as well.  Mobility is important on this tank, so I say maximize it.

Yes, you are 100% correct about the skills vs perks. I suffered a momentary lapse of reason. :)

That's a very good argument for off road driving considering what you were saying about the tank's mobility being an asset. So in a sense I should be playing it a bit more like a 'heavium' like the VK 36.01?

So in a sense I should be playing it a bit more like a 'heavium'

Very well said.

Learning flexible heavium play would serve you well through the IS, IS-3 and IS-8.  

KV-85 is a great place to linger to get good crews and learn the play style.  Tier for tier, the IS is not as powerful as the KV-85, so I wouldn't rush to buy it.  
Once you are elite, aim to do your hit points in damage every battle, as early as possible.  When you are top tier, it will be your responsibility to do more than that.  

As I told you in another thread,I have 600 games in my KV-85 so I think I'm qualified to give you some tips(even though I have fewer games than you overall).I can't give tips for how to play this tank with the 85mm gun 'cause I don't even remember how I got through it

When top tier: Use your DPM,bully other tanks especially meds with that 100mm gun(I know you have the 85 right now and I feel your pain,get ready to be TORTURED with the IS).You have quite a lot of HP as compared to other tanks,so don't be afraid to take a shot or two in order to give one back during the late-game.

When mid tier: Your pen is still adequate to go through most T7 heavies,but there are some nasty guns at that tier,be careful around against IS tanks because they will almost ALWAYS pen you unless you're sidescraping,your alpha is still enough to deter some tanks.You have to play as a hybrid between a frontline and support tank at this tier.

When bottom tier: Cower behind friendlies and take shots only when the enemies are reloading.You may be better off playing it like a medium at this tier.

The armor:You have none,most tanks you face will easily be able to pen your front,sidescraping is still quite effective though,but you have to learn to angle your turret when you're not top tier because most T7 and 8 guns can pen the front of your turret quite easily

As for the gun depression you have to learn to brake and take snapshots when your tank is leaned forward,but this only works if you're on flat ground ABOVE someone,you're screwed if you get a map like Sand River where you have to fight on ridgelines or on uneven ground.

Crew skills: Gunner:Snapshot,Driver:Clutch-braking or Smooth Ride,Commander: Whatever you want,Gunner:armorer       (These are the skills I went with,your mileage may vary)

Equipment:Vertical Stabilizer and a Rammer if you can afford it

I have some DANK replays in this tank but they're from old patches.If you have old versions of the game,lemme know and I'll hook you up

Edited by robosapieo

Thanks for the advice Robosapieo.

So, can confirm even with premium ammo the stock 85mm struggles against other heavy tanks frontal armor. Until I can unlock the top gun I'm going to have to play it like a medium tank. Will continue to experiment. Stay tuned. :)

So I wanted to report back for those interested in this thread: So 77 games played in this tank and am sitting at a WN8 in this tank of 1141 and a win rate of 54.5%. Taken at face value not very stellar. However, this is a big improvement from when I started where I had a win rate in the low 40s and a WN8 somewhere in the 600-700 range. So there's still some work to be done on this front but I would like to say thank you to those who provided advice in this thread because I think it saved me many hours of horrific trial and error to get a feel for this tank! ;)

Some tips probably stated above:

Use and abuse the gun, Russian heavies from the KV-1S to the T-10 (old IS-8) rely upon their gun and mobility to out trade opponents, and preferably outplay by flanking, baiting a shot, etc.

The armor is good, for a medium.  These heavies are pseudo heavies also named heaviums due to having the best of both worlds.  They retain some mobility from mediums while gaining a punchier gun and better armor.  However this armor should not be relied on too heavily unless you have placed yourself in an advantageous position as it can pull some bounces off but isn't expected to every time.  

Mobility wise they are fairly decent trailing behind mediums and lights but staying at the head of a heavy push or even pulling ahead.  This is a double edged sword as you meet other fast tanks and out trade them easily but beware of getting out of position due to that speed.  Also you need to be flexible whenever possible so try not to lock yourself down in a position you can't fall back from easily.

I have 1932 battles in tanks from the that line (KV-85 to t-10) so I have a bit of experience in these tanks.

Also i'd recommend free xping the top gun for the IS-3 and T-10, remember the guns make these tanks and shooting gold all day is a quick way to go broke with Russian (.46) accuracy.

Other than the troll factor and to unlock it for the IS, is there any reason to research the 122?

you should unlock it, but it is really bad, so i wouldn't use it.  

I happily admit I had a poor win rate in this Tank ( 44 % ) and didnt like playing it , I also will say that the 100mm gun should be the gun of choice as the 122mm gun takes 16 seconds to reload ( an eternity in battle ) and the 100mm still has good penetration ( made even better firing APCR ) - I used gun rammer , EGLD and Vents

I turned this game from a 45% win chance to a Victory --

The big 122mm gun on the KV-85 was awful ( along with the Chinese IS-2 ) the next 122mm gun on the Russian IS-2 isnt too bad , but if you want to excel with Russian

( + American and Chinese ) Heavy guns then as soon as you reach tier 8 - immediately ditch enhanced gun laying drive ( EGLD ) and fit vertical stabilsers -

it totally transforms your hit rate and accuracyas long as you let the gun aim a little and use a mod that shows the aim circle tighten -

before you come to fire , keep the faith and grind on , also get the IS-6 for crew skills training advancement

you should unlock it, but it is really bad, so i wouldn't use it.  

I went back to 100mm (in IS) 'cos it fires faster and if you need gold it has more pen.

I free xp'd the 122 thinking higher alpha and longer reloads were just a part of higher tier play. It seems fine to me. It sucks when your shot gets eaten by tracks, but it teaches you to aim properly and not waste a shot into the turret of a T29. 

Land 3 good hits and you've pulled your weight as bottom tier. You can do that with minimal exposure just by punishing mistakes harshly and fading back quickly. The reload gives me time to reposition.

I pulled a 2900 damage game as top tier last night, though it was just sidescraping and farming off pubbies ridiculously over exposing to take guaranteed ricochet pot-shots . I can see it would suck in a late game carry situation, I guess. I haven't had enough games in it to weigh up the pros and cons.

I've got the top engine and I'm working towards unlocking the 100, but if my performance continues its current pace it'll be hard to justify a changeover because I'm already over performing in it.

100 mm is a much better gun.

In fact, it is probably better than even the pre-nerfed 122, but he tank is just so much worse now.

No gun depression hurts a lot - and tank is slower than before. Combined with the lack of real armor, and you must limit exposure.

100 mm reliably snipes as well with 0.38! just compare it to the VK. 36 88 mm - but add alpha, penetration and overmatch capability. 

VII 122 mm D-2-5T 175/217/61 390/390/530 3 0.5 3.6   2600 84980
VII 100 mm S-34 170/210/50 250/250/330 7.89 0.38 2.7   1920 75300

122 is a KV-2 level of derpiness and reload - might as well bring the proper derp into game.

I prefer T-150 as a better tank, but if it could mount the 100 mm with the same ROF i would take it.

it is the 100 mm gun that limits the exposure, snapshots very well, and hits mid range with 1-2 sec aiming. If you are close enough to hit anybody without aiming in 122, then they can rush you during your 18 sec reload.

I just don't get why the 100mm has such poor gun dep. Should be at least -5 TBH.

Research the 122, its used on the IS and so as such is a bit easier to grind, being a tier lower. Free xp the top turret on the IS as well, makes it a lot easier.

On 8/23/2016 at 4:49 AM, skyf24 said:

I just don't get why the 100mm has such poor gun dep. Should be at least -5 TBH.

Research the 122, its used on the IS and so as such is a bit easier to grind, being a tier lower. Free xp the top turret on the IS as well, makes it a lot easier.

It is the tank, not the gun. KV-85 has 3 deg with all guns. Your advice with 122 is sound, always unlock every module before selling the tank.

On 8/23/2016 at 6:57 AM, PrinzEugen478 said:

How do you play with this gun depression? I always have to expose most, if not all, of my tank in order to get the gun down to get a shot off.  

Very hard. You step over the destructible cars in the street and your gun aims at the sky. generally, try to leverage some distance against derpier tanks, and use your high penetration to aim just the center mass of the tanks  you can penetrate.

2 minutes ago, Felicius said:

*snip* KV-85 has 3 deg with all guns. *snip*

Really? I could've swore it had -5 or so with the 85mm. Ouch. Thats gotta be brutal on new players.

On 8/24/2016 at 10:32 AM, skyf24 said:

Really? I could've swore it had -5 or so with the 85mm. Ouch. Thats gotta be brutal on new players.

T 150 is better tank now just for the sake of  7° of Gun Depression. But before the nerf, KV1S has a fucking 8...like USA tanks...

I will leave it there(KV85):

DPM 1,973.68
Damage
Penetration (mm)
Reload Time (sec)
Rate of Fire (rnds/min)
Aim Time (sec)
Dispersion (m)
… moving
… tank traverse
… turret traverse
… after firing
… damaged
· · ·
Damage vs. Modules
Caliber (mm)
Shell Velocity (m/sec)
Max Range (m)
Ammo Capacity
Shell Cost

T-150:

DPM 1,764.71
Damage
Penetration (mm)
Reload Time (sec)
Rate of Fire (rnds/min)
Aim Time (sec)
Dispersion (m)
… moving
… tank traverse
… turret traverse
… after firing
… damaged
· · ·
Damage vs. Modules
Caliber (mm)
Shell Velocity (m/sec)
Max Range (m)
Ammo Capacity
Shell Cost

Today, KV-85 has less ability to be a front line tank, you can not outtrade ppl...T-150 can brute force others, but with KV85 you have to be more of a support...work flanks, mid range...armor is meh, still solid turret is ruined with bad depression...

But look at the soft (and hard) stats on a gun. It is very good for a tier. It is better than VK with 88 mm, just you get same pen with AP as with gold. APCR is 210, enough for tier 7, but not so good against IS-3. T-150 has more pen, on APCR, but is also higher, negating sloped armor very well.