ADeadMan1

IS-3 Help

So I recently purchased the IS-3 and I am looking for some tips has most of my games so far have been pretty crappy

All five are from the same session

My basic strategy is always to find places where I can sidescrape, peekaboom, or just frontally face the enemy. I am still stock but I dont think the lack of BL-9 radically changes how poorly I am doing in this tank.

I can't watch them right now, but I notice that you left the game early in 4 of the 5 games.  
When you are trying to improve your skills in a specific tank, consider letting the games playout.
The reasons?

1. It forces you to take the game seriously, and there is the danger that if you die early, you will be forced to wait : )
  2. It gives you plenty of time to mentally go over your game, and figure out 1 thing that you could change to make it better.

Maybe you can do those without staying until the end, but rushing out of the battle without analyzing how it went is going to retard your progress.  
When I try to focus on single-tank improvement, I put a notepad beside the computer, and actually write down the one most important lesson from the game (the crabeatoff method).  Roughly 1 time out of 100, I can't find any meaningful mistakes, so it's pretty easy if you actually try to find the error.  

Maybe you want to have a look on these 2 topics, both are quite new and you will probably find some general tipps on how to play the is3. I don't think that you will get to many answers on this topic anyway, just because those 2 topics exist and most people probably don't want to answer the same question (how to play an is3 properly) a third time aswell. Hope it will help you :) 

http://forum.wotlabs.net/index.php?/topic/21780-how-to-is-3/
http://forum.wotlabs.net/index.php?/topic/21841-better-avg-dpg-in-kv-1-than-is-3/

Maybe you want to have a look on these 2 topics, both are quite new and you will probably find some general tipps on how to play the is3. I don't think that you will get to many answers on this topic anyway, just because those 2 topics exist and most people probably don't want to answer the same question (how to play an is3 properly) a third time aswell...

Good links, but he posted it in the tape study forum with 5 specific replays.  Seems fine to me.  
I don't know what the tape study forum is for if not for this.

Good links, but he posted it in the tape study forum with 5 specific replays.  Seems fine to me.  I don't know what the tape study forum is for if not for this.

No there is nothing wrong with the topic itself. But since he asked for tipps in general aswell I thought those might be interesting. :)
As for the replays I am sure there will be someone who can spend the time on analyzing them and give some more specific advise, I sadly don't have time to do it myself atm. 

Good links, but he posted it in the tape study forum with 5 specific replays.  Seems fine to me.  I don't know what the tape study forum is for if not for this.

No there is nothing wrong with the topic itself. But since he asked for tipps in general aswell I thought those might be interesting. :)
As for the replays I am sure there will be someone who can spend the time on analyzing them and give some more specific advise, I sadly don't have time to do it myself atm. 

Thanks for the links, I some how missed them, must have been working that week.

I guess close the thread for now, I'll make another once I figure out and apply the knowledge given.

Game 1: You went too deep, you didn't leave yourself an exit route. Got raped.

Game 2: You got to a nice forward position, you could have retreated if necessary (albeit when you needed to retreat, you just sat there and died) but when you were in that position you did pretty much fuck all, the only damage you did was when your allies had died and they pushed you.

The reason people get into good positions is not to make the enemy team jealous of your snazzy little rock, it's to be in a position where you can dish out damage efficiently, you needed to be thinking "ok, how can i start punishing these enemies as fast as possible while they're not in cover without loosing more HP than i want"

Game 3: At the start, that CDC yoloed for no reason... but use it to your advantage, he's not only completely distracting the two enemies in front of him, he's also spotting any enemies that might usually prevent you from pushing round the corner.

You drifted off to the left and basically didn't shoot anything, you tried to shoot the T28 but couldn't, then left your team mates to ineffectually battle a SP and btw if you want to reverse side scrape you need to be at a steeper angle that that (as you learned the hard way) reverse side scraping is a valid tactic in some situations but in general i wouldn't bother it takes ages to set up for it, then you have no way of retaliating if say the SP damages you and falls back, you can't peek out/chase him because it takes you more than his reload just to turn around.

Game 4: You dawdle around for a minute and then... Oh god... pls no... push middle? Ok, you were unlucky that that retard of a Bat yoloed you loosing all of his HP but even if he didn't you can't push middle that early in a game, there is no cover and there are always base camping fuckwitts that will just stop your push dead. just go to the flank you were on originally or even the other side.

Game 5: You went too deep again, look at who can support you, think about who might be in front of you and push accordingly, you did a good job while you were there as it happened, but that was fairly lucky, they came at you 1 by 1 and you could have done more if you were more defensive, or more aggressive but in a different area where you had support.

Your strengths seem to be:

-Shooting and general aim

-Situational awareness

-Use of cover and armour 

-Aggression

And weaknesses:

-Knowing how far to push

-Getting your gun in the game (you have a limited DPM, make it count)

Hope it helps.

Game 1: You went too deep, you didn't leave yourself an exit route. Got raped.

Game 2: You got to a nice forward position, you could have retreated if necessary (albeit when you needed to retreat, you just sat there and died) but when you were in that position you did pretty much fuck all, the only damage you did was when your allies had died and they pushed you.

The reason people get into good positions is not to make the enemy team jealous of your snazzy little rock, it's to be in a position where you can dish out damage efficiently, you needed to be thinking "ok, how can i start punishing these enemies as fast as possible while they're not in cover without loosing more HP than i want"

Game 3: At the start, that CDC yoloed for no reason... but use it to your advantage, he's not only completely distracting the two enemies in front of him, he's also spotting any enemies that might usually prevent you from pushing round the corner.

You drifted off to the left and basically didn't shoot anything, you tried to shoot the T28 but couldn't, then left your team mates to ineffectually battle a SP and btw if you want to reverse side scrape you need to be at a steeper angle that that (as you learned the hard way) reverse side scraping is a valid tactic in some situations but in general i wouldn't bother it takes ages to set up for it, then you have no way of retaliating if say the SP damages you and falls back, you can't peek out/chase him because it takes you more than his reload just to turn around.

Game 4: You dawdle around for a minute and then... Oh god... pls no... push middle? Ok, you were unlucky that that retard of a Bat yoloed you loosing all of his HP but even if he didn't you can't push middle that early in a game, there is no cover and there are always base camping fuckwitts that will just stop your push dead. just go to the flank you were on originally or even the other side.

Game 5: You went too deep again, look at who can support you, think about who might be in front of you and push accordingly, you did a good job while you were there as it happened, but that was fairly lucky, they came at you 1 by 1 and you could have done more if you were more defensive, or more aggressive but in a different area where you had support.

Your strengths seem to be:

-Shooting and general aim

-Situational awareness

-Use of cover and armour 

-Aggression

And weaknesses:

-Knowing how far to push

-Getting your gun in the game (you have a limited DPM, make it count)

Hope it helps.

Thanks, that was really insightful.

I will learn and apply.