nemlengyel

Advice for unlocking the T29

Hi all. My great plan is to eventually get to the mighty T29, and I'd like some tips to help with that.

Firstly, I'm already at the Sherman Jumbo and grinding the XP for the T29, but obviously don't want to run around with a 76mm peashooter. Are the T1/M6 still viable after the new Japanese abominations fucked things up?

Secondly, if I take the T1 line, how much time should I spend in each tank to get a proper crew ready for jumping to the next tier? Should I potentially train two crews in order to get two proper loaders for the T29?

Finally, if I do take the T1 line, I should have 14-18k free XP left thanks to WG's generous weekend gold rush. Should I spend that on a T29 engine or turret upgrade?

Thanks in advance :)

Without the engin you will get mad with the T29. Horrible slow! Get the big gun first. The first turret is not bad and there is just the difference in view range. The turret is the last piece to upgrade.

T1 is a nice tank and you can play it until the first skill is finished. The M6 is used for CW and stronks. The good gun depression makes it easier on hilly maps. So for me it's a keeper.

Without the engin you will get mad with the T29. Horrible slow! Get the big gun first. The first turret is not bad and there is just the difference in view range. The turret is the last piece to upgrade.

T1 is a nice tank and you can play it until the first skill is finished. The M6 is used for CW and stronks. The good gun depression makes it easier on hilly maps. So for me it's a keeper.

Thanks! So it's engines, 105mm, and turret?

If you're already at the Jumbo why do you want to go through T1/M6? 

If you can free XP the 90mm then the worst part of the grind is done. From there go engine then turret/tracks - I can't remember what you can/can't mount without tracks.

Some prefer the 90mm to the 105mm so as long as you get that then you'll be in a pretty strong tank. With the 90mm you'd need to invest in some APCR because its pen is low.

Edited by Zezti

If you're already at the Jumbo why do you want to go through T1/M6? 

If you can free XP the 90mm then the worst part of the grind is done. From there go engine then turret/tracks - I can't remember what you can/can't mount without tracks.

Some prefer the 90mm to the 105mm so as long as you get that then you'll be in a pretty strong tank. With the 90mm you'd need to invest in some APCR because its pen is low.

Because I' not sure if a stock T29 with just the 90mm can be workable. If I go thru T1/M6, there'll be 15k free XP to ease the grind.

A T29 with the 90mm is still a potent tank - it has good DPM and the penetration is sufficient (and outstanding with APCR). If you have the free xp to get it - you don't need to go back to the T1 HT and M6 (though both are good tanks in their own right). 

However, you MIGHT still want to get the T1 HT if you haven't ground out the American Medium line. Keep the E2 jumbo crew for the T20 and grind the M6 to unlock the 90mm for both the T29 and T20 while getting a nice heavy tank crew as well :)

I honestly prefer the 90 over the 105 on both the T29 and T32, they both have significant staying power that allows me to leverage the higher DPM from the 90 more than poking with the 105, not to mention the much better gun handling. The very respectable APCR pen also means i can significantly reduce my exposure time against most targets with paper armor, and spend less time aiming on harder targets seeing I can simply poke my gun out and snapshot the target, then immediately pull the turret back for the reload.

The worse gun handling and DPM on the 105 simply isn't worth the extra 80 alpha.

The T29 grind  is a rather pleasant one. The stock turret already features amazing armor and the 90 is actually the better gun if you are fine with shooting some sprem.

A point of note might be that the upgraded tracks reduce medium terrain resistance from a rather horrible 1.9 to a bearable 1.5.

So it's not just the engines but also the tracks which add significantly to its mobility.

Do yourself a favor and T1 and M6 yourself, they are very comfy heavies when used right. The M6 can be frustrating with the 76 when it isn't top tier but once you have the 90 it becomes a very fun tank. I'm not concerned much by the Japanese heavies, most of the ones I ran into are shitters and the M6 can flank them easy and put shells in their oh so soft sides. When you get the T29, get the 90 on first, then the engine, tracks, then either the turret or 105. The turret upgrade lowers reload by a good amount and the 90 is good enough in bottom tier, awesome in top tier because of its ROF. The 105 with stock turret has a pretty slow reload and better players will take advantage of that

I went through the T1/M6 line, and honestly it was perfectly acceptable as grind tanks. Nothing super OP for tier like the T29, but they are pretty standard US heavies with a good amount of comfort and not really many terrible features.

If you don't mind spending a bit longer to get the tank, you will probably get more enjoyment out of the heavy line rather than cutting in from the medium one (plus you don't have to you a T7 heavy with a 76mm ping ping gun).

if you don't want to go through the T1/M6, and cannot free XP the 90mm, I suggest researching the T20 and grinding the 90mm on that before buying the T29. the T20 is a LOT less painful to play with that gun because its mobile enough to flank. 

I went through the E2 and I just free XP'd the gun. it was easy enough to grind after that. just remember if you get the gun without the turret it has something like a 16 second reload IIRC, which drops to 10 when you get the top turret. 

If your not into grinding modules, and are frugal in the long run it is beneficial to concurrently go up other American vehicles lines. Why? Save yourself 132000 free experience in the process.   This means your crewmen over time would gain an that free experience amount, instead of going into an experience sink.

nTHZCni.jpg

Now that said, I have currently have a T29 with the upgraded turret, upgraded tracks, 90mm gun and stock engines.  External modules are Rammer, Vents, Binoculars. Consumables? Food, Large First Aid Kit (premium), Small Repair Kit.  Ammunition?  Roughly 50% gold ammo, 40% standard AP shells, rest in HE shells to finish off Roomba, RU 251 et la and destroy buildings with.  How playable this set-up of the T29?  It's a blast, as a person can vary one's play based on the situation at hand:  go hull-down; peek-a-boo ridge lines; invisible snipe to a degree with binoculars + food consumable active;  push in middle match after the necessary enemy team deployments have been deduced properly to clean them up. 

Pro's:  efficient are winning matches -- great ACPR penetration, decent D.P.M, good heavy gun handling, good turret armor, workable view range

Has great carry ability for when teams have the dreaded 'three B's and one F' -- bads, bots, beginners, fools.

Con's: do not expect to earn a positive credit flow typically, as 90mm ACPR shells plus Food do add up in cost. 

Deployments are somewhat map limited to the center 4 x 3 box in the middle of the map. Why? Lack relative speed because of stock engine.

Requires knowledge of how to implement a hull-down technique.

When to flex know how requires knowledge of maps, tanks, and a sense of timing.  

Conclusion

Enjoy your new dancing partner, the American T29.  It's a blast.                          

Addendum

Yes, the JPN heavies at tier 5 to 8 are strong.  The O-Ix at tier 5 in particular is perhaps too reliable at dominating everything between tier 3 to 6 presently.   Above-average players appear to be winning more than is normal for themselves overall, in these Japanese heavies.  My peers on average win 70% to 80% of the time in the O-Ix.  The O-Ix returns roughly 10k to 35k credit per match on average, with a premium account active. The T29 remains the same, assuming the same above build. Both the O-Ix and T29 are a blast to play.

Edited by Valan
Added where to save up to Free Experience 132k image

If your not into grinding modules, and are frugal in the long run it is beneficial to concurrently go up other American vehicles lines. Why? Save yourself 132000 free experience in the process.   This means your crewmen over time would gain an that free experience amount, instead of going into an experience sink.

nTHZCni.jpg

Now that said, I have currently have a T29 with the upgraded turret, upgraded tracks, 90mm gun and stock engines.  External modules are Rammer, Vents, Binoculars. Consumables? Food, Large First Aid Kit (premium), Small Repair Kit.  Ammunition?  Roughly 50% gold ammo, 40% standard AP shells, rest in HE shells to finish off Roomba, RU 251 et la and destroy buildings with.  How playable this set-up of the T29?  It's a blast, as a person can vary one's play based on the situation at hand:  go hull-down; peek-a-boo ridge lines; invisible snipe to a degree with binoculars + food consumable active;  push in middle match after the necessary enemy team deployments have been deduced properly to clean them up. 

Pro's:  efficient are winning matches -- great ACPR penetration, decent D.P.M, good heavy gun handling, good turret armor, workable view range

Has great carry ability for when teams have the dreaded 'three B's and one F' -- bads, bots, beginners, fools.

Con's: do not expect to earn a positive credit flow typically, as 90mm ACPR shells plus Food do add up in cost. 

Deployments are somewhat map limited to the center 4 x 3 box in the middle of the map. Why? Lack relative speed because of stock engine.

Requires knowledge of how to implement a hull-down technique.

When to flex know how requires knowledge of maps, tanks, and a sense of timing.  

Conclusion

Enjoy your new dancing partner, the American T29.  It's a blast.                          

Addendum

Yes, the JPN heavies at tier 5 to 8 are strong.  The O-Ix at tier 5 in particular is perhaps too reliable at dominating everything between tier 3 to 6 presently.   Above-average players appear to be winning more than is normal for themselves overall, in these Japanese heavies.  My peers on average win 70% to 80% of the time in the O-Ix.  The O-Ix returns roughly 10k to 35k credit per match on average, with a premium account active. The T29 remains the same, assuming the same above build. Both the O-Ix and T29 are a blast to play.

I don't wanna sound snarky, but I can't discern what you're trying to say with that image...like at all.  Some tanks in the tech tree have colored circles around them and some numbers by them.  That's all I'm getting from that.

I want to get E5 as my next t10 but i struggle at t29 with very low WR and WN8 :( i always tried hulldown but~~~~ result seems not good for me..

I want to get E5 as my next t10 but i struggle at t29 with very low WR and WN8 :( i always tried hulldown but~~~~ result seems not good for me..

??? Fully unlocked??? Gun rammer, vents, GLD?
Top tier, you don't really hull down you are a heavy, very slight angle to make your front stronger (don't give them your sides though so really only 5-10 degrees max so they only get tracks..) and BULLY hard.

Hull down look at your opponents though...  they can still hit your roof/cupola if they have decent guns.

Wow if your struggling with the T29 now your really going to have issues even you go to T8 because its basically the same tank, yet you see T10 matches. Post since replays so were can see what your doing wrong 

Honestly, I loved the M6.  Granted it's been a long time so it might be different if I got back in it but in 120 battles I averaged 712 dmg and about a 1 kill a battle.  I never used prem rounds, and had 58% win and 1300 WN8.  So if you use it right, you can really work it.  As far as the T29, it is my favorite.  I've played more battles in that than any other tank.  I think going the M6 is better because it gives you heavy practice and the 90mm.  Whenever I see someone in a T29 and running the 76, I can't help but think that they have no idea what they're doing.  You can always free xp the 90 if you want.  But don't dare get in the T29 without it unlocked.

19 hours ago, Benjammn79 said:

Honestly, I loved the M6.  Granted it's been a long time so it might be different if I got back in it but in 120 battles I averaged 712 dmg and about a 1 kill a battle.  I never used prem rounds, and had 58% win and 1300 WN8.  So if you use it right, you can really work it.  As far as the T29, it is my favorite.  I've played more battles in that than any other tank.  I think going the M6 is better because it gives you heavy practice and the 90mm.  Whenever I see someone in a T29 and running the 76, I can't help but think that they have no idea what they're doing.  You can always free xp the 90 if you want.  But don't dare get in the T29 without it unlocked.

Thanks man :)

Been running the T29 for months now. Is a beast. Fun tenk. I keep switching between it and the T34, because the latter seems to automatically generate 4k damage (and associated ducats) every time it loads on Kharkov.