Canoodian

T-34-3 First impression: A solid and underrated premium tank.

I bought it as my first (and so far only) tier 8 premium after some decent reviews of it here. Overall after nearly 400 battles in it, I'd say I like the tank, but it can get frustrating at times. Left it alone for a long time (didn't really need the credits), but as I started playing tier 10 recently I went back to it, and strangely seem to be finding it a bit easier to manage.

As others have noted, it has several major strikes against it that make it frustrating at times:

- Bad pen plus Bad gun handling: terrible, terrible combination. 175 pen on a gun that takes an age to aim and is wildly inaccurate even after you aim is a recipie for frustration. It's particularly an issue I've found when shooting for weak-spots such as lower plates on IS6, T54 or hoping to avoid the spaced armour on the side of Russian heavies. I find T54's from the front particularly problematic, even recalling once I bounced 4 HEAT rounds in a row attempting to hit the lower plate of a T54. The gun will regularly troll you.

- No gun depression: I've slowly gotten better at finding the right positions to compensate for this, but it's impossible to argue that it doesn't limit the vehicle. Even those small bumps in the terrain can make you frustrated, or miss an opportunity because there was an unexpected bump that you couldn't quite maneuver enough to get the gun on target.

- Slow acceleration/Sluggish for a medium: it's got a decent top speed, but it's slow to get up to speed and doesn't turn all that well.

Apart from those three major cons however, the tank is fun to play. If you can make your shots count, you can rack up the damage quite quickly and it's powerful enough to allow you to roll with the heavies (useful in city maps, where the lack of gun depression isn't such a big deal). It's mobile enough that you can usually find a way to get the gun in play. It makes decent credits too if you're not spamming HEAT out of it. It's usually good in small doses, although as I said before I've found it more manageable/enjoyable coming back to it after an initial spell.

I recently picked this up during the sale so I could 3-Mark another chinese tank. I could go on and list many bad things about this medium, but they have already been mentioned. So far, it definitely is not for the faint of heart. You need to be a terrain expert to even figure out where you can and can not shoot this thing. And even at spots you can, you are too vulnerable for too long...  poor depression with poor accuracy, and not so good pen does not make for good life-expectancy.

As mentioned elsewhere, because each shot you take tends to leave you so exposed, you can not afford to not pen, particularly with the long reloads. Because if this, you will be pushed to use gold rounds, though this goes against the principle of purchasing this tank to get some credits. 

48 minutes ago, Research_Monkey said:

Just out of curiosity. What ~dpg/performance is needed to three mark this beast?

Something like 2.5-2.6k and some spotting should do it.

Won this (essentially) via a contest and like it!

Great feeling to BLAP somebody wit dat Alpha.  The reload did not see too excessive.

Surprised it does not get moving very fast at ALL though!   Don't have a 100% crew in it, but anyway INCREASE its speed off the line?

The gold round is pretty effective, too -- does everybody carry 50/50?   Equipment: rammer/VSTAB and GLD?  Food instead of AFE?

1 hour ago, Invictus said:

Great feeling to BLAP somebody wit dat Alpha.  The reload did not see too excessive.

Surprised it does not get moving very fast at ALL though!   Don't have a 100% crew in it, but anyway INCREASE its speed off the line?

The gold round is pretty effective, too -- does everybody carry 50/50?   Equipment: rammer/VSTAB and GLD?  Food instead of AFE?

yxE6lPh.jpg

I actually started taking more HE, 20, 10, 10, it can be pretty fun/useful. 

No rammer, this is the only setup I'll use. I recommend it over any other.

1 hour ago, Cunicularius said:

yxE6lPh.jpg

I might try this loadout since I've been frustrated lately with this tank, but I want to make it work.

3 hours ago, Cunicularius said:

yxE6lPh.jpg

You choose vents or gld over rammer?! but.... 10% reload...

:cri:

Edit: noticed food with no fire. Why nt have JOAT and drop the med kit for fire?

4 hours ago, Invictus said:

I run 19 ap, 19 heat 2 he. For equipment I run the standard medium affair of verts, rammer and opics and for consumables I run AFE, small repair and med.

2 hours ago, shutupshake said:

I might try this loadout since I've been frustrated lately with this tank, but I want to make it work.

I really, really wouldnt. Im guessing Cunc has worked very hard to get that setup working well and without a fire extinguisher, I doubt youll be able to adapt to their very specific and awkward loadout. 

You get used to the reload, low dpm doesn't matter if you can make the most of it, and with the HEAT, alpha, and inordinately 'good' gun handling (given the alpha and tier), you really can. 

However, I must advise you that you aim in your shots as much as you can given the situation. Its only by aiming in do you make your shots count, this is not a tank that you can yolo around in and snapshot everything, you can do so at close ranges but even then, because of the nature of HEAT, its worth taking a moment to fine tune your aim.

Also, fires are a non issue. You tend not to get shot in the engine if you're not shit (its also a diesel), and its only the right half of the front of the hull that contains the ammorack and fuel tanks, so long as you default to hiding your right half, you'll be fine. Think of it like always returning or defaulting to an orthodox stance, but in this case its the right side that is weak, and which you seek to hide from the enemy. 

I've tried running different setups, but without staying true to this one I find myself getting frustrated with the frequency of shots I miss, knowing that the extra dpm I could have with a rammer is pointless if I can't reliably hit things before they can hit me. It is more important with this vehicle that you minimize the length of exposure required to land hits with some consistency than it is to maximize the dpm. The idea works very well given the overwhelming alpha and the acceptable mobility, as well as the armor that it has, you just don't benefit as much from a dpm boost as you do a handling boost of any sort.

On 11/17/2015, 10:08:15, Cunicularius said:

I bought a T-34-3 because you make it look fun. 

I'm interested to know in what sort of scenarios you now prefer HE shells.  Do you also take quite a few of them in tanks with similar caliber and mobility, like the WZ 111 or WZ 111 1-4? 

The T-34-3 compared to WZ 120 is like.... going from T-54 to OBJ 140 (or T62A, so may 62A fans here).

Reload gets better, pen is better, alpha is better (im 98% alpha is higher on wz120), tank is more nimble, agile, has more speed, yadda yadda yadda.

The pro's of having the 120 is... you get to go to the 121, which is even a BETTER 120. It's like the WZ 120 wanted to evolve once more again or something (THIS IS NOT MY FINAL FORM!!! lolz).

However, when you get into 121, you're up against much bigger and dangerous tanks.

I think the "goldilocks zone" for this line is at Tier 8. In the T-34-3. You don't lose as much credits, and if you aim for flanks of tanks, such as sides or rears, you don't need the HEAT. Also, since the T-34-3 gets pref, you'll never see tier X. WZ 120? Hai Maus! Hai E100 & IS7!

I have the T-34-1, T-34-2, T-34-3, WZ 120 & 121. I predominantly play the T-34-2 (I like to think im Type 59's cousin), and T-34-3 mainly. Benched my 120. T-34-1 gun sometimes the trolls me, punchy, good pen & alpha, but the shells wants the dirt more than the enemy tank. Also, i think tier 7 is pretty imbalanced imho.

4 minutes ago, Matross said:

I think the most significant comparison is to the SU-152, ISU-152 and Obj 268, omitting the Obj704.

The SU arguably the most powerful for its tier, and hte 268 the least. 

Also, the 120's alpha is not actually better for the tier. 343 has the most significant alpha advantage.

Oh, I didn't play the Russian TD line. I tried comparing it to what I knew.

TY for correcting me about the alpha about the 343 & 120, I always thought the 120 had more, I guess just more pen. 

7 minutes ago, Matross said:

Oh, I didn't play the Russian TD line. I tried comparing it to what I knew.

TY for correcting me about the alpha about the 343 & 120, I always thought the 120 had more, I guess just more pen. 

You misunderstand what they are saying. The 120 has 440 and the 34 has 390. They are saying tier for tier the 34 is better though.

TY for clarification! I thought that the 120 had more alpha.

Out of big guns, yes, I think the T-34-3 with 390 alpha in tier IX is better than WZ 120 with 440 alpha in Tier 10.

I like my T-34-2 over both of these tanks... but that's for another thread.

If this turns out true:

http://ritastatusreport.blogspot.se/2015/11/913-tank-changes.html#more

T-34-3

-Gun-Turret - T-34-3
122 mm D-25TA
Gun depression: new 5, old 3, difference 2

28 minutes ago, Research_Monkey said:

If this turns out true:

T-34-3

-Gun-Turret - T-34-3
122 mm D-25TA

And they're giving the 121 only another half a degree... That's the dumbest thing I've ever seen.

14 minutes ago, Cunicularius said:

And they're giving the 121 only another half a degree... That's the dumbest thing I've ever seen.

You are not showering WG with money when you buy 121 :D 

5 hours ago, Research_Monkey said:

If this turns out true:

T-34-3

-Gun-Turret - T-34-3
122 mm D-25TA

When I saw this earlier it made my pants wet. 

Its weird that the 121 only got a half degree.

I honestly would prefer it though if they gave this thing better gun handling and less module damage.

2 minutes ago, Rexxie said:

Super happy with that, the gun depression wasn't a problem the T-34-3 really deserved to have.

It was one of its quirks, its going to be an entirely different vehicle. 

I guess it will be significantly more powerful anyway... but there were other buffs I'd have given it first to retain the theme.

I'm actually against giving it more gun depression. Yeah, it doesn't hurt to give it more gun depression, but it's one of the things that made this tank different. 

Now... we basically just have another communist wedge med tank with a 122mm gun instead of a 100. So monotonous.

Works for me. I saw so many mixed reviews for this before i grabbed it and said yolo and bought it anyway. Instant love. Its super satisfying to pop around a corner and punch a heavy in its brown eye with a heavy gun then run away before he can react.

Its got the IS6 gun (which is meh at best) but its on a mobile enough platform to actually flank, unlike the IS6. Plus once you blap someone for 390+ everyone else behind him thinks twice about poking out. Its a bit sluggish but just enough to keep you out of too much trouble and fast enough to flank when needed. 

The nice thing about its garbage depression is that if you can learn to play with it, (most) every other tanks depression seems epic in comparison and gives you a greater appreciation. I usually just try to back up against something to life my ass end up enough to get the shot then scoot back forward to cover my engine deck and go back hull down.

"Plus once you blap someone for 390+ everyone else behind him thinks twice about poking out."

You must be playing on a different server than me... Ahah.

I do recall when I was on the opposite end of this tank I never used to fear it... and never had problems killing it either. Now that I own one, I see why...

Once the crippling depression is fixed around x-mas... I may end up playing it more. So far I still only care to get the doubler with it done once a day.