edger2020

Dev Q&A with Storm

Why do you use BigWorld?

• We held internal tests of different engines that showed insufficient results on weak PCs. This is why we are reworking BigWorld (gradual adding of multi core support and DX11/12 support starting from 0.10 and in further versions) in order to create a fully functional HD-clien

Japanese heavies, how are they performing?

• Japanese heavies are really popular compared to other Asian tanks.

That's weird, with all those 113s and 121s flooding the battles :doge:

• Equipment is planned to be remade as well as crew skills; 

F

What are the plans regarding 3-caliber rule?

• For some elements of HT armor this rule is going to be removed (for example, for side skirt with reversed gradient and for some thin roofs

What about Tier 10 TD's?

• Foch 155 and Ob.268 remain unchanged, for Foch there are several options (e.g. to give Foch 120 mm with auto-load and 155 mm without), it will be discussed, the vehicle is overnerfed. 

What are the plans regarding 3-caliber rule?

• For some elements of HT armor this rule is going to be removed (for example, for side skirt with reversed gradient and for some thin roofs

If this goes through, I'll buy the IS-4 back.

How do you plan to counteract forbidden client modifications?

• The best way to deal with them is to create a situation where their usage doesn’t make sense. For example in case of the «Tundra» mod there is an idea to display only those parts of a vehicle’s outline which is not covered by a terrain element etc.

lolrip. 

If this goes through, I'll buy the IS-4 back.

Well since I recently bounced the turret roof of an is3 with my object 263 (130mm gun), while even shooting it from above, (should not matter annyways since 100% chance to pen in any angle) it seems like they already did it for the is3. And fucked it up.. so it's inpenetrable now because.. stronk russian tank made out of :potato:

Wil try to find the replay and add it to this post. http://wotreplays.com/site/2170689#siegfried_line-greyknight9612-object_263 
The fun part starts at 7:15. 
Before you blame me I am aware that the IS3 is using the stock turret, so in fact it is only the 2 caliber rule that comes into effect (since stock turret has 50mm roof) but I still have 100% chance of penning it.. or... not? Well atleast thats what tanks.gg told me and makes sense aswell. The angle was not even that bad either so what the f*** happened there... Probably some bug and I actually hit some different part of the armor cause of server reticle lag and than my client displayed the shot wrong aswell? I honestly don't know...

Edited by GreyKnight9612

What about the IS-6?

• Storm is not enthusiastic about changing the shells of the IS-6 and giving it full tier battles. Reasons – game play and mass character.

WUT STORM PLIS NO

Any news about the replacement of the British top HT?

• The Super Conqueror was approved by historical consultants, now we are considering what to do. Basically, the SC is the same as FB215b with a turret in the middle of the hull. Unfortunately we won’t be able to keep the FB215b in the game.

Storm pls no 

Before you blame me I am aware that the IS3 is using the stock turret, so in fact it is only the 2 caliber rule that comes into effect (since stock turret has 50mm roof) but I still have 100% chance of penning it.. or... not? Well atleast thats what tanks.gg told me and makes sense aswell. The angle was not even that bad either so what the f*** happened there... Probably some bug and I actually hit some different part of the armor cause of server reticle lag and than my client displayed the shot wrong aswell? I honestly don't know...

If you don´t triple overmatch and the UNNORMALIZED angle is higher than 70° it is a riccochet, tanks.gg for some reason takes the normalized angle when determining wether the shot is a riccochet or not (which is wrong)

If you don´t triple overmatch and the UNNORMALIZED angle is higher than 70° it is a riccochet, tanks.gg for some reason takes the normalized angle when determining wether the shot is a riccochet or not (which is wrong)

That's true but the angle was not that bad... atleast it did not look like that for me to be honest I might just be wrong. 

The wiki's wrong at the moment. Should probably bug someone about that.

Equipment is planned to be remade as well as crew skills; 

F

HAHA! because that is the focus that WG devs need to be on. Also why implement girls crew just for them to be reworked. WG clearly on top of their game.

When is circular view range going to be implemented?
- Circular view range is already going to be implemented in 0.10.0 (former 0.9.11).

Oh boy.

I'm a noob about this one... what does it mean?

I'm a noob about this one... what does it mean?

They are refering to the maximum distance you can see (not spot) an enemy vehicle, currently only tanks that are in a inside a 1000x1000x1000(?) cube (with the center being your tank) are getting rendered by your client, this is going to change to be a sphere (or circle depending on how you look at it)

Yeah, it's 1000x1000.

The terminology has always been misleading. "View range" has always bothered me, they should just call it "personal spotting range" or something...

What about the IS-6?

• Storm is not enthusiastic about changing the shells of the IS-6 and giving it full tier battles. Reasons – game play and mass character.

WUT STORM PLIS NO

Ohhhh YEEEES! Give it the gun of the IS-4 and the reload ot the T-62A and the acc of the E-50. The speed of the Luchs and the acceleration of the chaffee sport.

Maybe not such a good idea. I like my IS-6 the way it is!

Edited by gingxxx

They are refering to the maximum distance you can see (not spot) an enemy vehicle, currently only tanks that are in a inside a 1000x1000x1000(?) cube (with the center being your tank) are getting rendered by your client, this is going to change to be a sphere (or circle depending on how you look at it)

Yea I get that, so what's gonna change when its gonna become circular?

Uhh it's only 500x500 right now, with the corners being 707m from your tank. The plan is to make it a 500m circle.

The wiki's wrong at the moment. Should probably bug someone about that.

what is wrong?

The maximum spotting distance will become consistant, as it is currently the maximum distance depends on the relative position of your vehicle and the enemy´s one, so sometimes you cannot see an enemy from a distance of 510 meters whereas in another situation you can still see an enemy at a distance of 700 meters (for example you can see/shoot enemies in cap on Malinovka from the hill even though the distance is ~650+ meters but on Prokohovka on the 1 line you can barely see/shoot the enemies in front of you at a distance of only 500-something meters).

The plan is to make it a 500m circle.

Source?

500 meters seems a little low to me.

EDIT: Its going to be 564 meters according to rita.

Edited by Fabunil

The maximum spotting distance will become consistant, as it is currently the maximum distance depends on the relative position of your vehicle and the enemy´s one, so sometimes you cannot see an enemy from a distance of 510 meters whereas in another situation you can still see an enemy at a distance of 700 meters (for example you can see/shoot enemies in cap on Malinovka from the hill even though the distance is ~650+ meters but on Prokohovka on the 1 line you can barely see/shoot the enemies in front of you at a distance of only 500-something meters).

Source?

500 meters seems a little low to me.

EDIT: Its going to be 564 meters according to rita.

Alright, I was just concerned about you all thinking that the current draw box is 1000x1000, which it's not.

Uhh it's only 500x500 right now, with the corners being 707m from your tank. The plan is to make it a 500m circle.

Alright, I was just concerned about you all thinking that the current draw box is 1000x1000, which it's not.

Flak

The square "render distance" border is 500m to the middle of the render square side from your tank (and 707 to the corner)... effectively creating a 1000m x 1000m Square.  Presumably when the plan comes into effect it will be a 1000m 1128m diameter circle or a 500m (previous post mentions 564m) radius circle from your tank.

Currently, with some one else spotting, you can abuse/leverage the difference between your max or dynamic spotting distance and the render square by shooting rendered targets for you while you are out of the targets render range (generally out in the corners of the square).  Pretty much the basis of red line sniping and this change will effectively limit the  abusable/leveragable area as well as being a little more realistic (or at least intuitive).

vr_by_zmeul.png

what is wrong?

Wiki quote: "If the normalized impact angle of an AP or APCR shell on the target's armour exceeds 70° (85° for HEAT)..."

Should be the impact angle before normalization.