xWulffx

Russian DD line announced

I'd be interested in seeing whether their armor fuzes AP rounds. Seems 50mm is too thin to be useful and too thick to facilitate overpens.

It might make them a bit more resistant vs HE rounds compared to their compatriots, so that'll give them a small edge in DD v DD combat.

Got russian tier 6 DD Ognevoi for testing from kill 4 enemies in one match mission. Good guns but only 2x2 barrels, still decent gun firepower. Turret rotation speed is decent, hugely better than Gremyaschy.

4km range torpedoes make it really hard to get close enough for them. 4km vs even 6km range torps is effectively big difference in viability of using torps, really hard to get under 4km.

Feels like this ship really needs good commander with that 4 point gun range increase skill, without that skill invisible shooting range is too small I thing. And getting spotted sub-12km range is bad, at those ranges bb's and cruisers are close enough that they get hits too easily.

Also other dd's like Minakaze etc are big problem as they have better vision range.

Edited by sahtila

I've got a really good Gremy captain and was hoping to like this new line, but I can't even bother to start it.  Gunboats or not, having a torpedo range that short seems pointless.  If I want to play with guns I'll stick with my battleships.

I've got a really good Gremy captain and was hoping to like this new line, but I can't even bother to start it.  Gunboats or not, having a torpedo range that short seems pointless.  If I want to play with guns I'll stick with my battleships.

Lack of torpedo range isn't as much of a detriment as people make it out to be. To actually guarantee a torpedo hit you'd want to be much closer than 4km, long torpedo range just makes it possible to eliminate the oblivious with no threat to yourself.

I love the gun-destroyer play style so I'll probably go up the line some time soon. I'm broke again and I need money for the Iowa so I don't think I'll be advancing too far any time soon.

The thought of reliving the low tier US DDs puts me off. I hate the 4in guns.

Long range torping denies space to turn and manouver, it takes one of the most important skills in wows away from the enemy, free positioning. So, yes short range torping full HP Beeps is fun and mostly only achievable under 5-6 km, but if you're solely going for that in a DD you missed your job discription. 

Not only are the Russian Torps  short range they are very slow initially. Only good for people aground. They will be a challenge. I will forgo the challenge till later. After I have the 2 T10 DDs from the US and Japan. By them I may be good enough to take advantage of what these Russian DD's offer.

Short range torps require a huge amount of patience. Cant see how they will work as effective as long range torps of the japs. They not even have a huge range but a very good speed too. 

Lack of torpedo range isn't as much of a detriment as people make it out to be.

It's a big detriment to my fun levels.  I like torpedoes, but I dislike being forced to plink away at max range with guns because torpedo range is too short for general use.  I love the Gremy because it has usable torpedoes that launch from outside of detection range, and has accurate, long-range guns that can invisifire and get AP citadels on cruisers at medium range.  I fully understand that the ship is overpowered and there probably won't be another destroyer in the game that has that combination, but I certainly didn't expect the Soviet destroyers to have worse torpedo range than the US ones, given that both the Gremy and Murmansk have long-range torps.

It's cool that other people are enjoying them, I'm just disappointed by the playstyle that the tree ended up with.  I guess I'll have some very good battleship commanders though.

Edited by Mesrith

It seems like the line is predicated around invisisniping or coming close to it. The gap between gun range and detection range on most of them is extremely close or just right for it. They have short range torps (but the lower tier ones have a lot of tubes compared to their peers), which are very slow, so it's mostly for pushing people away (or camping the corners of Solomon Islands). Seems like the moment you get the captain skills and some equipment, you just fire on people forever.

I wolf packed in my Hatsuhara with 4 other DD's all T5 ot T6 Russian gunboats. One of them sunk a Fuso solo. The 5 of us held a flank and killed 2 BB;s and 3 CA's. 3 of us survived the win. They used smoke a lot to get close, but seemed to mostly use guns.

I've been trying to figure out the low tiers and just can't do it. They feel exactly like American DDs, which is terrible because gun-based DDs are worthless and I hate them. Somehow the torps managed to get even worse though; 3km torps are hilarious.

edit: is this just DDs being terrible, or are the engines on these super vulnerable? My last few games have basically been ended instantly by chaining engine criticals within moments of being spotted.

Back to cruisers!

I've been trying to figure out the low tiers and just can't do it. They feel exactly like American DDs, which is terrible because gun-based DDs are worthless and I hate them. Somehow the torps managed to get even worse though; 3km torps are hilarious.

edit: is this just DDs being terrible, or are the engines on these super vulnerable? My last few games have basically been ended instantly by chaining engine criticals within moments of being spotted.

Back to cruisers!

The RU DDs are legit useless in low tiers, and don't really gain anything until around tier 7 with that speed. Until then they're either 100% crap, too fragile or just straight-up inferior to a certain premium DD (Gremmy).

Derpski is fun for that one time you get all ten torps into a battleship. Most of the time that 3km range is a km too short. Close brawling is fine but 3km doesn't hack it. The Gnevny looks pretty solid and I enjoyed the Ognevok when I got it during the trial. Kiev is apparently broken as fuck with AFT. 

I broke down and free exp'd the Kiev. I guess the easiest way to describe it is as a skirmisher. I stick at 10-12 km and run and gun. 1st game got the engine broken 5 times, but retrained my Stalin can captain to give it last stand. I think last stand is required. Engine breaks all the time. Even with the engine upgrade. In the first game had a 1 on 1 duel with a Pensacola. I stayed at max range, and kept dodging his shots. Took me 75 hits, but I killed him. I ended the match at 105 hits only 1 or 2 fires. Since CA's have little armor, I did shoot AP for a bit and did decent damage with it. This is one of the few boats that will benefit from 5 percent speed increase flag. They are fun to play, but you will have some epic fails with them. Without a tier 4 skill captain, these will be a serious pain to play. 

I have only played 2 games with the Kiev. The ship is a minnie Cleveland. Once you get the tier 5 stealth skill for your captain, you will be a real nuisance to the red team. 

I've had a little while to play the Gnevny and it's really hard to carry in. It lacks the important tools you need to win in the late game (especially when you don't have AFT). The AP shell is great against cruisers inside of 5km but is that really where you want to be in a DD? Granted it gives you a fighting chance in a game where you get jumped by a cruiser or where enemies aren't focusing you but it isn't really a thing to rely on. The torps are JUST too short range and have trip launchers (inflexible compared to dual launchers). If you gave them 5km torps it would probably be in the right place, but I've had a lot of games where I've not had the sting to deal with a capital ship before the game ends.

Kiev works as a gun boat. I have solo'd a Cleveland a few times. Stay at long range and keep dodging his shits. If torps were 5 km, I think they would be about right. 4km leaves you no room to maneuver,

Tashkent appears worse than Kiev. Those 70 knot quintuple mount Torps make BBs wet there small clothes. T7 plus with overdrive and flag is doing almost 47 knots. You can get close if you have 2 kill anything with the correct use of islands.