bjshnog

⟪WN8⟫ Development / Resources

The reality is that you will always have some games where cap matters, and that is what the def tracks.

It is one reason why the stat doesn't really make sense for a single game, where it will either be 0 or very large.  Over a lot of games, though, you will have your cap reset chances.  If you are so astonishingly good that this never happens everyone would know :-)

makes sense, thx

the one thing I find difficult to maintain when looking at expected.. is the "expDef". doesn't that seem to punish you if you do good, and don't allow an enemy to get on/to the cap? or, is the number small enough that it doesn't really effect you?

The reality is that you will always have some games where cap matters, and that is what the def tracks.

It is one reason why the stat doesn't really make sense for a single game, where it will either be 0 or very large.  Over a lot of games, though, you will have your cap reset chances.  If you are so astonishingly good that this never happens everyone would know :-)

I will expand on this by saying that if you never let the enemy reach your base, you are probably getting heaps more points for killing, spotting and damaging them anyway. The points you would get for defense may be negligible.

Hello, joined these forums to give some feedback on the scale.

Not so much the numbers, but the impact on the culture of the game.

I'm not one to be derogatory to new players; I understand they are new and still need to learn about the game. I would be hesitant to call them "bad" and assign them a reddish color, as if they had done something wrong to deserve the rating.

Truth be known, they are unskilled, and will hopefully learn over time.

Therefore, at the skill levels where the newcomers generally come in, I would prefer to use neutral colors and terminology, and if somebody is scoring worse than a newcomer, that's somebody I'd rate as truly bad with reds and oranges.

. . . and yes, I realize my WN8 is low; probably due to low damage numbers. Getting my damage up is my next goal after getting my WR above 50%. Recently I've been running fragile tanks, though, so it may be difficult :/.

Yes. If for no other reason it has to be done whenever a patch introduces a new tank, else there would be no expected value for a new tank, and if you had to outperform a 'null' you'd be a unicum. Heck, its the only way I'll ever be a unicum, but there you go.

Also, the meta changes, and so the WN8 metric has to keep up with that. If everyone starts pwnign with the A-20 then its time for a correction!

Seriously, status on next update as follows: Praetor is 'The WN8 Man' but he has been afk for over 2 weeks, although someone did play his account yesterday - hopefully it was him. At some point in the very near future I hope he will re-engage and issue a new effective values table that we can use thru 8.11. If he doesn't appear on this forum soon then we will need to find a way ahead. 

@Praetor: earth calling - please pick up.

Sorry was on vacation, now I am back but swamped with work. However, I have recently been studying and learning R, which I will use to empower and increase my analysis of Phalynx´s data, should come up with something ASAP. Low amount of time to dedicate to this for at least a few weeks though. Sorry for the AWOL.

WN8 Resources

I'm working on another project to replace WN8: Progress is slow and I need help, so please read the OP.

Quick Question

when you make changes to any of the formulas / Numbers, do you have a log for people to look at to see what recent changes may have been made? if not, could you?

so basically, if your changing the expected damage to any certain tank, or any other expected numbers, show it in a log please

Quick Question

when you make changes to any of the formulas / Numbers, do you have a log for people to look at to see what recent changes may have been made? if not, could you?

so basically, if your changing the expected damage to any certain tank, or any other expected numbers, show it in a log please

Not a bad idea. I'll let Praetor77 and Phalynx tackle this one.

Log is an excellent idea. Version of table, and a small line describing changes would be very doable I think.

As this is using MediaWiki as the backend, it has already logging functionality aka "Revision history" enabled. Just for an example:

http://wiki.wnefficiency.net/index.php?title=WN8&action=history

Its just a question of book-keeping by editing the formula and typing the version into the reason field.

. . . and yes, I realize my WN8 is low; probably due to low damage numbers. Getting my damage up is my next goal after getting my WR above 50%. Recently I've been running fragile tanks, though, so it may be difficult :/.

Get your damage up and your WR will go up as a result.

Hey.

Is there any data about that, how many platoon games and single games someone have played. I think that next WN should count that somehow. There are so many stat padders who only play platoons and that's way they get much better stats.

i have a question as one guy asked that on czech forum and my friend from game is considering the russian one as the right one as well

which one color scheme and which numbers are valid

http://www.koreanrandom.com/forum/uploads/monthly_02_2014/post-6084-0-69474200-1392320969.png

or this one

http://wiki.wnefficiency.net/pages/Color_Scale

The one XVM developers use was determined for the RU server, where having 1550 WN7 = 1950 WN8 puts you in the top 1% of the server.

The one on the wiki was determined from the wotlabs database. For EU and NA servers, the percentage of the population with high WN values is much much bigger. For wotlabs db, approximately 1% of the population is above 1850 WN7 = 2350 WN8.

BTW, wiki WN7 scale is off. The scale depicted there is the scale wotlabs used which was off.

The last four categories should be 1350-1549, 1550-1849, 1850-2049 and 2050+.

kinda been out of it lately so a couple of quick questions:

Is there a website that shows your account(maybe recent) rstats? so you know where your strenths/weaknesses are and where you have to improve?

Also I was under the assumption that you have to perform about 1.5 times the expected tank stats to get a 2300 wn8. is this still true?

As with any change to tank balance, if the expectations are updated occasionally they will trend over time towards the level attainable at the new balance.

The one XVM developers use was determined for the RU server, where having 1550 WN7 = 1950 WN8 puts you in the top 1% of the server.

The one on the wiki was determined from the wotlabs database. For EU and NA servers, the percentage of the population with high WN values is much much bigger. For wotlabs db, approximately 1% of the population is above 1850 WN7 = 2350 WN8.

BTW, wiki WN7 scale is off. The scale depicted there is the scale wotlabs used which was off.

The last four categories should be 1350-1549, 1550-1849, 1850-2049 and 2050+.

thx for explanation - so my follow up question is - how this will be distributed to XVM ?

i m myself not using XVM but then it is misleading for users on EU, NA and RU server as i suppose if the XVM is downloaded the RU values are being automatically used or not ?

could this be discussed with XVM authors ? that they will distribute 2 XVM - one for RU and one for NA and EU ? (generally only the numbers will be different inside)

Anyone can change the colors they use by editing the configuration file. I will make no attempt to get XVM developers to change their color scale. 

Now I am just writing this up as an example:

Siegfried Line: T54 - Win - Wn8 = 390 - 1 kill - 604 Damage - 8 Spots - 8456 Assisted Damage 

See the problem?

Now I am just writing this up as an example:

Siegfried Line: T54 - Win - Wn8 = 390 - 1 kill - 604 Damage - 8 Spots - 8456 Assisted Damage 

See the problem?

Nope.

no, thats incredibly accurate given the limitations WG imposes on praetor.

I understand! I know the API has limitations, but that single match illustrates a pretty big flaw in the equation. And I am not bagging on Praetor. I am merely pointing out an issue.

I understand! I know the API has limitations, but that single match illustrates a pretty big flaw in the equation. And I am not bagging on Praetor. I am merely pointing out an issue.

Why the neg rep brah, dont be a baddie.

See the problem?

The problem is that you're evaluating a single game by looking at a rating that only works out, on average, over thousands of battles.

Seriously. Had a great scout game? Look at your earned XP and position on the scoreboard. Or if you want to pad your WN8: have a great scout game, then feast on the remaining enemies to collect your purple points.