Last laptop I had is now confirmed irreparable, allowed to have a replacement. Think it was an ASUS X750JA or maybe something similar. Now I've used ASUS twice and they both are rather easy to break or have something went bad, looking for something more durable for a laptop at least. Last one had its IC short circuited when it fell off a short table I used in case you're wondering what happens to it.

So what I wanted from the laptop would be :

1. Durable enough (an ACER notebook a friend had ever fell off his grip, had its HDD popping out, slight application of force to reinsert and all is good so there's that for measures), at least for a laptop

2. Can be used for some degree of gaming, cause, reasons, last one can run WoT at med-high or Payday 2 in med-high smoothly enough

3. Budget I have is around 900$

4. Doesn't have to be new, so I'm up for recommendations on what kind of second-hand stuff I can get :3

On a side note, is having Linux and Windows installed as the OS causes any issues? Be it apparent or not. I ever had my IT teacher install em back in high school and they works just fine but I can't really tell if there's an underlying issue having 2 OS, also how to do it? And which Linux version should I look for?

If you are looking for a gaming laptop, then a discrete graphics card and a SSD should be a must.  However, with a $900 budget you will be forced to make some concessions with the processor, graphics card, or hard disk space.  MSI, Asus, and Dell (Alienware) are well regarded for their gaming laptops. I believe both HP and Lenovo now have 'gaming' oriented laptops, probably have good build quality but I cannot claim to their performance.  A good start is here and then determine what you want, then search for the best price. 

If you are looking for a gaming laptop, then a discrete graphics card and a SSD should be a must.  However, with a $900 budget you will be forced to make some concessions with the processor, graphics card, or hard disk space.  MSI, Asus, and Dell (Alienware) are well regarded for their gaming laptops. I believe both HP and Lenovo now have 'gaming' oriented laptops, probably have good build quality but I cannot claim to their performance.  A good start is here and then determine what you want, then search for the best price. 

Dell/Alienware is just vastly overpriced.

Personally I'd recommend the ASUS ROG or Lenovo as it has the best bang for buck at that price range.

if you're going to go with a Lenovo product I recommend taking the Hardrive out, selling it and purchasing another, they're easily damaged and prone to clicking. The only problem with doing this is it will void your warranty, not that Lenovo customer service is any help to begin with.

As for the performance of the Lenovo Y50 you can expect 60fps consistently on high settings in World of Tanks. I can't speak for their other products.

Edited by Quotablenotables

Laugh all you want at the name and alleged markup but don't be afraid of Dell.

I had a 5 year old XPS to start WoT on and am coming up to 3 years on this Inspiron.  Still get 80-100 fps, 60 ping on it from a third world country.

Much as I like the look of Alienware, they probably are overpriced but I dropped into the Inspiron range and picked up everything I wanted at the time for $950.

Your best bet may be looking through used laptops from 2014 at your price range, as an example (because I'm not sure if Amazon ships tech outside of the United States) here's a 1st generation Toshiba Kirabook, 1 year old, used, originally sold for 1600$ (which was overpriced, it's about a 1200-1300$ laptop) for 885$.

Amazon

And here's a review of the Toshiba Kirabook (2nd Gen but touches upon the 1st Generation from the previous year).

CNet

Been using a Lenovo Y510p for a couple years now and usually get 50-60 FPS on max settings.  Agree with what has been said on the HDD though, I've had mine break twice already, so I put a Samsung 850 Evo SSD in instead and have had no problems since.  Boosts the performance and load times immensely as well.

Edited by RollerCoaster47

Avoid toshiba. One of the worst, if not the worst, customer service out of all the brands. The advice to purchase older models if you prefer is fine.

Basically the failure rate on their products are so high, if you want them to 'inpsect' your product for deficiencies, you have to pay for shipping and handling because they simply lose way too much money.

Avoid toshiba. One of the worst, if not the worst, customer service out of all the brands. The advice to purchase older models if you prefer is fine.

Basically the failure rate on their products are so high, if you want them to 'inpsect' your product for deficiencies, you have to pay for shipping and handling because they simply lose way too much money.

Not as relevant for used products anyways, warranty is void, you'll be replacing the parts yourself, the risk with used, would never recommend Toshiba products new. That said the Kirabook is one of the few of their products that has been universally well received and reviewed. On the opposite end of the spectrum if you want a brand that trades performance for reliability and longevity you should be getting an HP.

I've had my HP Pavilion for 11 years the only piece of hardware inside the tower that's broken is the fan to cool it. Only adjustment I've had to make is turning it off every so often to let it cool down after long periods of use whereas I used to be able to leave it on 24/7.

if you want a durable laptop you'd probaly want to go sager, though there cheapest with a dgpu is $980ish.

Edit: $930 actually as you can downgrade to a quad core i5.

Edited by methebest

Found a second hand Lenovo Y510P for around 650$ ish. 

Dem exchange rate to Rp doe :doge: 

Edited by Lockhart77
Goddamn exchange rates

Been using a Lenovo Y510p for a couple years now and usually get 50-60 FPS on max settings.  Agree with what has been said on the HDD though, I've had mine break twice already, so I put a Samsung 850 Evo SSD in instead and have had no problems since.  Boosts the performance and load times immensely as well.

How much are dem ssd btw :doge:

Hmmm... Think 500gb is enough? For general usage and gaming and probably some Autocads. I can also use the existing HDD and put enclosure for it to be an external drive. 

Hmmm... Think 500gb is enough? For general usage and gaming and probably some Autocads. I can also use the existing HDD and put enclosure for it to be an external drive. 

I have no idea, I don't know shit about computers or anything that goes into them.  Once I'm done with college and hopefully have a job where I can invest more money into an actual PC, I'm sure I'll be making my own "I am a noob at computers, help me" thread.