Garbad

AW Release Date 1 OCT 2015

I think you forgot to mention that the Founder's Pack is not like in WoT where the M6 Mutant, Pz V/IV, and A-32 have never been sold to date.

AW promises a year of eexclusivity, and afterwards it's fair game to sell them again. So if you're tight on money, do not despair. (Unless they changed their policy since I read it.)

From the founders page, only the Terminator and Experitionary Tank have a year of exclusivity. MBT-70 and Zhalo will be avaiable for anyone to buy in during OBT (and afterwards?).

From the founders page, only the Terminator and Experitionary Tank have a year of exclusivity. MBT-70 and Zhalo will be avaiable for anyone to buy in during OBT (and afterwards?).

yes

Man oh man... anxiously waiting... client freshly installed, drive defrag'd, lets GO!!!

To hell with it, I used a vacation day for tomorrow.

I’ve been reading nonstop about AW and other than the fact that there is arty in the game I cannot find anything I dislike. I hope to never log into WoT again.

What’s the chance these guys will go back further and expand the game for WW2 era armored vehicles or make a WoWs naval combat game?

Also, is there any endgame play planned for AW like clan wars or campaigns? 

Edited by Vettish

To hell with it, I used a vacation day for tomorrow.

I’ve been reading nonstop about AW and other than the fact that there is arty in the game I cannot find anything I dislike. I hope to never log into WoT again.

What’s the chance these guys will go back further and expand the game for WW2 era armored vehicles or make a WoWs naval combat game?

Also, is there any endgame play planned for AW like clan wars or campaigns? 

Yes, they plan endgame pve and pvp content.  Raids and clam wars, details tba.

So i´ve read this http://armoredtalk.com/2015/09/27/quick-start-guide-to-armored-warfare-for-world-of-tank-players/
is there some trap for seasoned wot players? something looking really familiar, but working in completely different way? 

The download is currently available. The current version shows today's date. So get a jump on downloading the game before the servers get busy.

Haven't really paid much attention to this.

heres some questions:

What are the end game?

As much as CW is hated, its the bond that ties many people to the game, the sense of responsibility and belonging that keeps a community tight, are there anything alike in AW?

Tournaments? While WoT did not have any tournaments in its beginning days, i don't think that should be excused for a game that imitates it 4 years later, are there at least discussions and plans on format/map?

Edited by CarbonWard

heres some questions:

What are the end game?

As much as CW is hated, its the bond that ties many people to the game, the sense of responsibility and belonging that keeps a community tight, are there anything alike in AW?

Tournaments? While WoT did not have any tournaments in its beginning days, i don't think that should be excused for a game that imitates it 4 years later, are there at least discussions and plans on format/map?

Battalions/Clans in Armored Warfare

As far as Tournaments go, right now there is no WoT-style training room implemented in the game but the developers have confirmed it will be arriving in the very near future (2nd OBT patch maybe?). eSports has certainly been considered but I highly doubt the game will be ready for that until a year or so down the road. (staffing/maps need many small refinements/vehicles not numerous enough per each tier/etc.)

I won't be on tomorrow night, but I will be on Fri/Sat/Sun.  See you pubbies online.

IGN: Same as Labs name (once the ticket goes through)

heres some questions:

What are the end game?

Little to no info.  I imagine they will write off esports as a failure.  Clams are planned for sure, but who knows what they have in store.

Thats pretty grim, considering from a software point of view, when they say it would take 6 months, odds are it will take at least a year.

Which is too bad, as by then most of the enthusiasm would of worn off, AW really should of prepared at least some end game for players lest they want this to be a generic shooter thats hot for 2 months then drop dead.

Strike the anvil while its hot is what Obsidian should of done in my opinion.

Thats pretty grim, considering from a software point of view, when they say it would take 6 months, odds are it will take at least a year.

Which is too bad, as by then most of the enthusiasm would of worn off, AW really should of prepared at least some end game for players lest they want this to be a generic shooter thats hot for 2 months then drop dead.

The probability of this being a true prediction is very low.

If AW's a generic shooter I'd hate to think of what WOT is.

If AW's a generic shooter I'd hate to think of what WOT is.

Well, im referring the style of gaming.

Without an endgame, such as CW or tournament, there simply isn't anything to keep the players around once they realized there is nothing to work towards.

Most people play a shit load in WoT to get new tier 10s for CW, or tanks they want for whatever tournament they want, they want to be competitive and to be in a group working towards a goal. Without it, you'd just log on for a couple games each day, play whatever you want, then log off, because there is no end-goal to strive for.

As much as people dislike the carrot-on-a-stick/Flavor-of-the-Month, a game need it to survive in the long term, because without it, a large portion of the population simply will drop off the radar once the heat has died down.

You always want that carrot that you can't reach, without it, there is only stagnation.

You only need to look at games like Titanfall, and god knows how many other very innovative and high quality games that ultimately died down because there are simply nothing at the end of the stick.

Edited by CarbonWard

I agree. I don't think Obsidian will stop development after open beta though. I hope they are using the time to think of something really original, because they can't base everything off WOT forever.

So i´ve read this http://armoredtalk.com/2015/09/27/quick-start-guide-to-armored-warfare-for-world-of-tank-players/
is there some trap for seasoned wot players? something looking really familiar, but working in completely different way? 

The tanks themselves. Do. Not. Sidescrape. Aim at lawer plates (before tier 5) and optics after.

Play arty so you know how it works.

I agree. I don't think Obsidian will stop development after open beta though. I hope they are using the time to think of something really original, because they can't base everything off WOT forever.

Hopefully in the next 2 months they have something planned, because thats when the moderately enthusiastic crowd most likely get their first end-tier, what will keep them playing and grind out that second line is what i think will be a big determinant on how big this game will be a year in the future.

But I do think its a major failure on Obsidian's part to not have at least something solid on Launch, because if theres anything that holds true in MMOs, is that hemorrhage rarely stops.

I do plan on getting a MBT70 though, just to stomp on some clueless pubbies.

Edited by CarbonWard

So i just took a look at AW's matchmaking.

So basically if you play well, you are gonna get "balanced"?

Please tell me this isn't gonna be in the release (since the article is Mar 20th)

Battle is formed

Once the matchmaker puts together a group of 30 players, it proceeds to the team-forming phase.

All 30 players are sorted into two teams based at first on two criteria:

• Vehicle class
  • Vehicle tier

Both teams have to be balanced when it comes to both of these parameters, the matchmaker will neither allow one team to have all the MBT’s and the other to have tank destroyers only, nor will it for example allow one side to end up with tier 5 vehicles and the other with tier 4’s only. The players are separated into groups by their class and then these class groups are internally sorted by their tiers.

These sorted groups are then distributed to both teams based on the player quality. An internal rating was developed, taking several elements into account – these do include player’s winrate, average XP per battle and several other indicators. The matchmaker then shifts the players around the teams so both teams end with roughly the same player rating. Please note that the matchmaking system allows for a certain margin of difference and both teams will never be completely identical when it comes to skill – the matchmaker however is programmed to produce the most balanced teams obtainable. While attempting to keep the battles balanced by skill however, the classes and tiers are ultimately more important to the matchmaker than the skill.

With both teams sorted this way, the matchmaker starts the battle itself. You will have the opportunity to experience how our matchmaking works in closed beta of the game.

Remember to sign up for the Armored Warfare beta at AW.MY.COM and follow us for more news and updates on Facebook, Google+ and Twitter! If you have any questions, do not hesitate to ask them in the appropriate forum thread you can access by pressing the “Discuss” button.

Edited by CarbonWard

Seeing how SS linked to it today, I assume that is still valid. First 30 tanks are selected on combat rating (vehicle+modules+amount of battles in vehicle), then the teams are created balanced on player ratings (the part you quoted).

SS's post: http://aw.my.com/en/forum/showthread.php?29860-Armored-Warfare-Machmaking-Explained&p=432266&viewfull=1#post432266

Edited by EpicFale

Oh fuck that shit then.

As of 9 months ago when I asked Jinxx about their algorithms he had nothing substantial to say about how they planned to either evaluate players or balance them, except that "we have some really smart people working on it". I am and remain skeptical until they publish some info about their criteria and algorithms. I sincerely doubt they have anything sufficiently creative or new to be proprietary or worth protecting as IP, but would like to be proven wrong (but not just claimed wrong). 

I'm going to play anyways, to explore it, and to see the PvE and play with some burned out WoT pals. However, I am not going to hang much on the PvP with unknown MM balancing. I've also not delved into whether they track or publish statistical data. If I'm a game publisher, I don't do that. If I'm a player and game mechanics expert and critic, I have a burning desire to know how it works. I see both ways, and honestly think publishing stats was a mistake for WoT, especially in their incomplete form, and with their horrific data organization and its compromised validity. 

Will I be so OCD as to track my own AW performances in a local database? Is there a dossier? Will someone build a mass parser ala vbaddict? Questions questions. 

Honestly my stat acumen is probably better saved for taking some graduate data science courses or work extension projects in my spare time (or even trying to get a predictive model in R coded out for playing fantasy football). But the allure of vidya games stat is strong!

Edited by CraBeatOff