T-54 vs WZ-120

T-54 vs WZ-120  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Which tonk for this noob?

• T-54
    • WZ-120
    • TOG IV**

Hey guys,

First off, this is a thread for longer term. I am not ready to get a t9 medium yet, because... well look at my WZ-111-4 stats. I shouldn't be in tier 9 yet. Wotlabs advised me not to get a t9 yet in my previous I can has tanks related question, and this time I actually plan to listen. Still, I want to inform myself about the following:

I am not extremly far away from unlocking the WZ-120 via the WZ-132. I also got a Rudy and started to train a crew in it. My intention is to go further where I left off my T-34-85 (which crew I now have in my terrible T-34-85M) and go to the T-43 -> T-44 -> T-54. This made me ponder about what my first t9 medium will be. Will it be the WZ-120, or its Soviet nephew the T-54?  I am having a hard time however finding out how those two compare to each other. Basically the WZ-120 is a Type 59 with the possibility of having a 122mm gun on it, in other words, a tier 9 T-34-3. 

Some pros/cons for me:

T-54:

+ More hull armour

+ I have the choice of 2 Soviet tier 10 mediums for later

+ Faster according to the wiki

- I don't have good Soviet crews yet

WZ-120

+ I have good Chinese crews

+ I already got 3 out of 4 guns unlocked

+ Better camo according to the wiki

+ Hitting things with a 122mm gun is fun

+ Better turret

- 3 gun depression with 122mm, and I suck with bad gun depression.

- I am not sure about going to tier 10 with the Chinese (very maybe the 121)

I am wondering, who has / have played both, and how do they compare to each other? What is the better choice?

Edited by Denizzje

Having played both, I prefer the T-54 by far. It is the more versatile tank. The WZ-120 pays for its boomstick with a long reload and bad gun handling. A miss in CQC is costly, but when it does hit it makes itself felt. The T-54, though not what it was in its heyday, is still a very well-rounded tank, and epitomizes the Soviet Wedge playstyle.

Each have different play-styles. The 120 feels better suited for a secondary line, a mobile TD with medium characteristics. The T54 is a brawler, able to do it all regardless of MM. It's been quite some time since Ive played the T54, but I do have the T55A in my garage, as well as the WZ120.

Im averaging 2700 DPG in the T55A with 50 battles, and with 118 games in the 120 Im averaging 2300 DPG. While I like both, the T54's mobility and versatility makes up for the lack of alpha it has, on top of more than ok gun handling.

Crew issues asside, the T54 will probably be better for you. I would, though, go ahead and do both. However, while the T54 leads to two great tier 10s, the 120 is "end of the line" material, as in the 121 really doesn't offer much more other than 'worse' matchmaking.

I very much enjoyed the WZ-120, but it's just not as flexible or generally capable of the T-54. Despite the many cosmetic similarities, they're very different vehicles and warrant checking out for yourself.

The T-54 is the best or atleast 2nd best tier 9 med (not gonna create an argument of E-50 vs T-54) and becomes hilariously overpowered when loaded with gold, the WZ simply doesn´t even compare to the T-54.

The only aspects where the WZ is better than the T-54 is the alphadamage (which doesn´t mean much if you can´t hit your shots with the terribad gunstats), the better turretarmor (which it can´t effectivly use thanks to its non-existant gundepression) and the creditammo (but hey, the penvalues on the goldrounds on both tanks are basicly the same...)

The camovalues are identical, not that it matters though since both tanks are brawlers (and sniping & hiting with the WZ comes more down to luck than skill)

In EVERY SINGLE other aspect the T-54 is much better than the WZ., plus the T-54 gives access to 2 excellent tier 10s where as with the WZ you can only grind the 121, which is imo the 2nd worst tier 10 med after the FV.

tl:dr: the WZ sucks, get the T-54.

Personally I feel the WZ-120 is the opposite of the IS-8, one is a heavy that plays like a medium, other a medium that plays like a heavy.

I'm grinding the AMX 30 at the same time, that feels like a medium.  The WeeZee on any hill, actually anything that changes elevation/depression just feels frustrating - like Himmelsdorf where you have to be careful with positioning to not find yourself pointed at the sky.

It's definitely a niche tank, the T54 plays more like a medium.  I've got a 140 and the 62a is unlocked, it was one of those tanks that make you appreciate mediums and so I stuck a female crew in it and kept it.

So advice is either try a medium which is a heavy in disguise and isn't particularly fast so slow flexing or get the T54 which is worse than it was in its heyday but is a "true" medium.

I am not extremly far away from unlocking the WZ-120 via the WZ-132.

I like playing the WZ-120 as a change of pace; the alpha is nice for the lolz (but the T-54 is an all around better machine). I find with the crap gun depression and long reload it makes it hard to project battlefield presence and to keep your pub teammates alive.

You probably already know this but you can get the top gun on the WZ-120 for free (saving ~60K xp) by grinding out the WZ-1111114

The WZ-120 is ok sniping (where you have time to let the gun fully zoom in) and excels at brawling -- but is absolutely garbage at mid ranges. T-54 is just more flexible.

Edited by Fenxis

The wz120 is just soo much better then the t54. Its everything a t54 is but with a much much better gun. The Gun is the reason the t54 is shiet and why the wz120 is just superior

The wz120 is just soo much better then the t54. Its everything a t54 is but with a much much better gun. The Gun is the reason the t54 is shiet and why the wz120 is just superior

git-gud.jpg

>better dpm, better aim time, better bloom, better accuracy, better depression and elevation, better after shoot dispersion,  worse alpha and base pen(who uses ap @t-54  thou :doge: )      T-54 gun is so bad :serb:

T54 is just good at constant pressure. A sub 6.5~ second reload and the ability to pen even tier X heavies from the front on a mobile chassis is more reliable than the longer reload/ worse accuracy (IMO) of the WZ.

Though I have only played the Wz on test so there is that.

Better tank? T-54. More fun to play tank? WZ-120. Just get both, you can't go wrong. If you can't afford them both, get the WZ-120 first, because the HEAT-54 will bleed you dry on credits. Even the AP shells cost ludicrous amounts of credits for such crap damage output. It's the most retarded thing I've ever seen, if you take a kill shot for less than 200 HP on something, you just lost money, even with AP.

One thing about the 120 and the top gun to consider, It has terrible gun depression.

If you are used to it it's fun, but so many times I've not been able to take a shot and got pummeled.

Then again, I'm not much better than average.

>better dpm, better aim time, better bloom, better accuracy, better depression and elevation, better after shoot dispersion,  worse alpha and base pen(who uses ap @t-54  thou :doge: )      T-54 gun is so bad :serb:

Shit alpha and worst effective DPM trumps the good thing about it. Simple as that.

You have to face the truth that the t54 is no longer the power house it was when tier 9 meds was the highest tier. Soo many tier 9 mediums are now better lorraine being the only one being worst.

Shit alpha and worst effective DPM trumps the good thing about it. Simple as that.

You have to face the truth that the t54 is no longer the power house it was when tier 9 meds was the highest tier. Soo many tier 9 mediums are now better lorraine being the only one being worst.

You have it backwards. T-54 was actually the worst T9 med when T9 meds were top-tier. Bat was the CW MT of choice, and the M46 was god-king of pubs (Farva, how we miss you). It rose to prominence because when T10 meds were introduced, it was buffed while the M46 and E-50 were nerfed. The introduction of the second gun, and HEAT for credits is what made it powerful. It declined in potency post-HEAT nerf and HD modeling, but is still a very versatile, well-rounded MT. It is a serious contender, and is still a very, very good tank.

Furthermore, talking about effective DPM while ignoring the WZ-120's gun handling, aim time, and gun dep is rather inaccurate. If anything, the 120 has far worse effective DPM since it is so hard to get gun on target.

I think people are referring to the T-54's heyday as the time immediately before and after the last hardwipe, not the post-French-tanks era, back when the armor was both objectively better and more usable due to it being before goldspam becoming prevalent.

I have both but the wz-120 is still a long way from being upgraded... t-54 is versatile and fun and would be my first goto tier9 (and then onto the 10s) for crews don't worry as you'll easily build them along the way :) 

teals delusions  :serb: 

You have it backwards. T-54 was actually the worst T9 med when T9 meds were top-tier. Bat was the CW MT of choice, and the M46 was god-king of pubs (Farva, how we miss you). It rose to prominence because when T10 meds were introduced, it was buffed while the M46 and E-50 were nerfed. The introduction of the second gun, and HEAT for credits is what made it powerful. It declined in potency post-HEAT nerf and HD modeling, but is still a very versatile, well-rounded MT. It is a serious contender, and is still a very, very good tank.

Furthermore, talking about effective DPM while ignoring the WZ-120's gun handling, aim time, and gun dep is rather inaccurate. If anything, the 120 has far worse effective DPM since it is so hard to get gun on target.

Well back then there was no batchat or Patton. The Pershing was tier 9.

The 120 is a brawler and so is the t54. At those ranges The wz120 will rarely miss. But because of its high alpha it can peek-a-boom much better then a t54 

It really can't brawl as well as the T54. Worse hull armor, worse gun handling/aim time mean that hitting weak spots more unlikely (nothing like hitting a pebble, and watching your shot hit an UFP). The T54 can troll bounce more effectively, aim more effectively, etc.

Fucking moron Straik should get the memo from you...I see now on his YT why he play like shit in his T54.

Fucking moron Straik should get the memo from you...I see now on his YT why he play like shit in his T54.

Yeah Straik is pretty bad in the T54

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFDiRFkiOEo

Thanks everybody for your input. Upboats for everyone who replied (and I run out of upboats so the rest will come tomorrow :P). While reading this, I realised something. I tend to be much worse than I already am in tanks which are not true to their type. So for example, heavy mediums to say something. I guess I can conclude that the T-54 is a better choice for me, as it is a true medium? I am also really agressive and impatient so I guess the WZ-132, being a more second line support tank apperantly, is less suited for me than the T-54 with its flexibility.

You probably already know this but you can get the top gun on the WZ-120 for free (saving ~60K xp) by grinding out the WZ-1111114

I have the WZ-111-4 with top gun, but the WZ-120's top gun is not unlocked. Unless you meant getting the 113 unlocked as well, but I leave my WZ-111-4 in the garage for the time being untill I get better a tonks. I got the tank while I was drunk and used all my free XP while I was at it to get the equipment. They should make a mod which prevents me from logging in while drunk. Or atleast spending free xp.

Edited by Denizzje