Garbad

Garbad's Guide to AW: Consumables, Refits, Equipment, Commanders, and Crew

These are the comment chains and Garbads last heavily edited post. I asked a question and he was hostile, I did not start it. He was even a dick to the other guy who asked why he doesn't post to the actual AW forums/sub forum also (I don't know the situation on those because I don't give a shit about AW.) 

If you're a dick to me I can only reply the same way. Give and take. Granted I will never be sad anytime he gets ROed. I personally and know many other people who think he should have been perma banned a long fucking time ago. There was a time when 60% of the binned threads and super binned threads were all Garbad threads. He's pure cancer but since he made content he was kept on a leash. I've seen people get perma banned for much much less on this forum than things Garbad says.

You're not smart at all. You didn't "ask a question", you came in shitting on a decently put together guide and wonder why he was hostile to you? Go write up some decent WoT or AW guides or STFU.

Garbad might be an asshole, but he's posted more useful content and guides on wotlabs than you ever will.

If you don't like the threads you can stay the fuck out of them.  Creating pointless drama because you feel like you've been personally slighted because a thread was created that didn't involve your own interests is really childish.  Keep that shit to WOT General, yo.

Also thanks for the guide.  I'm going to try and see if I can get by using the stress test client.  If any red tanks appear I'll redownload and finish Far Cry 4 I guess.

Btw, I find that Philipp Holzknecht (or so) commander somewhat bearable, his conditional crap relies on you being in a brawl which is what I do in the MBT-70 most of the time anyway, so the reload buff doesn't get wasted. But maybe it would be more worth it levelling the pre-order commander so that incoming terribad grinds get shorter, so it's a toss. In any case, it bugs me greatly that you have to play arty in order to unlock good MBT commanders.

Garbad creates the content, people sperg out because it was in the wrong section - Solono, can you sympathise here and see how annoying this nitpicking can get time after time after time? This stuff has precedence for anyone in a spotlight of a community - whether it's hollywood, youtube or an internet tank forum. Some react by cutting off their hair or not posting videos because their subs "hate them" while others throw the pedantic shit back - pressure builds and people snap. 

There has to be a more efficient way of dealing with this than handing out more and more ROs and building more tension than is necessary - you're not gunna please every party, least of all Garbad but surely it'd just be easier just to throw them both on the mod queue for a few hours to days until the sperg has died down?

Point taken, RO lifted. Warning to Fungus stands; you poke Garbad again like that you're the one on the bench.

Btw, I find that Philipp Holzknecht (or so) commander somewhat bearable, his conditional crap relies on you being in a brawl which is what I do in the MBT-70 most of the time anyway, so the reload buff doesn't get wasted. But maybe it would be more worth it levelling the pre-order commander so that incoming terribad grinds get shorter, so it's a toss. In any case, it bugs me greatly that you have to play arty in order to unlock good MBT commanders.

He's still distinctly mediocre.  Even the prem commander is better.

The matter is closed, if you wish to file grievances you can always PM me, unless you're Garbad.  

Edited by PumpkinSpiceNo

IMPORTANT PSA:

Someone told me the 2nd Founder's Pack ($30) gives 4000 gold.  That's enough to buy the MBT-70 plus the free commander, zhalo, and prem time.  IMO, if you are on a budget this is by far the way to go.  You miss out on the exclusive tanks (term, ET), but save ~$40.

Do you have any general tips for PVP? It might be that I don't know the maps at all yet, but I seem to do cock all in PVP. Winning half of my albeit tiny battle count so far.

Do you have any general tips for PVP? It might be that I don't know the maps at all yet, but I seem to do cock all in PVP. Winning half of my albeit tiny battle count so far.

same

General tips for PvP depend on your tank class.
Here's a rule that applies for all tank classes: your experience in WoT carries over for the most. And stay alive as long as possible.

MBTs:
Go to the closest city area preferably with cover from arty. At tier 1-4 aim for LFPs and cupolas, at tier 5+ aim for cupolas/small modules. Basically, unlike WoT, your crosshair color is almost always accurate of your chances to penetrate. If you see green on a tank's upper/lower front plate, it will almost certainly penetrate. Applies for all tank classes but still.

TDs:
Same as WoT really, camp a lot. Move up when the road is clear though. Also stay the fuck away from AFVs like they carry the bubonic plague.

AFVs:
Kind of like WoT's light tanks, but also not really. They're worse active scouts but much better passive scouts. Find a bush, wait for an opening, and either attack enemy lights/TDs/AFVs with your autocannon or flank MBTs. If you flank MBTs, ONLY EVER go for their rear armor. Side armor is at best a gamble and at worst a great way to waste your salvo.

LTs:
The first few tiers are too varied to possibly describe accurately, so just stay to attacking light armor and abusing camouflage. Don't try to brawl and don't get fooled into thinking they are a close equivalent of WoT's medium tanks; autocannons will wreck you as easily as any other form of light armor. Unless you're a Stingray 2, XM8, or VFM 5.

Arty:
Click and try to move a bit more than usual, or else enemy arty will click you hard. If you get smoke/illumination rounds, try to help your team. TRY.

Edit:
P.S: I've made a thread on armoredlabs for those who are interested in what commanders to use. View it here.

So let's talk about cancer.

As recommended in my guide, cancer is a top priority because it unlocks the best MBT commander and the overall most useful mods in the game.  But its fucking cancer.  Wat to do?  I decided to calculate exactly what it would cost to obviate cancer from my playtime.

Tier 4 Cancer:

- Unlocked by playing X games (easy to do, all will do it eventually)

- Unlocks commander (carlos or freja)

- Unlocks gear tier 1

- Gives 30k

- Cost to get the items only:  255 gold.  Cost to get next tank:  519 gold.

- Requires 64800 exp, approximately 35 games in MBT-70.

- Estimated time to grind through:  97 games, ~6 hours.

Cost to bypass:  ~$1.75.

Tier 6 Cancer:

- Unlocks gear tier 2

- Gives 250k

- Cost to items only:  1082.  Cost for next tank:  2163

- Requires 270,300 exp, approximately 150 games in MBT-70.

- Estimated time to grind thru:  385 games, ~32 hours of grind.

Cost to bypass:  ~$7.00 ($8.75 cumulative)

Tier 8 Cancer:

- Unlocks gear tier 3

- Gives 1.5 mil exp (value of 1113 gold)

- Requires estimated 510k exp, approximately 250 games in MBT-70

- Estimated time to grind thru:  730 games, ~65 hours of grind.

Cost to bypass:  ~$14.50 (cumulative $24).  Does not count the 1113 worth of gold you get converted into 1.78m credits, value $4.

________________________________________________________________________________

So basically, the deal is this.  I am a top player; eventually I will have to have these top items on my best tanks.  The question is to bypass or play cancer (doubles).  So its either:

Option 1:  Grind

- Spend estimated 18 mil credits to buy and fit tanks.  Get back 9m.

- Get back estimated 25 mil in credits from playing 1250 games.  +16m net.

- Spend 105+ hours playing arty.

Option 2:  Bypass

- Spend 0 buying and fitting tanks.

- Earn estimated 26m net playing MBT-70.

- Spend ~35 hours playing MBT.

- Spend $24, and incentivize a game company to put in shitter content.

CONCLUSION:

Bypassing cancer makes +10mil credits more and saves ~70 hours.  Not to mention, playing the MBT 70 is inherently more fun than cancer.  The main downside is the cost -- $24.  But at the end of the day, I don't think I am willing to play cancer for $0.20 an hour. 

Ditto. I got Freja and the Magnetic Actuator after grinding the MBT-70 for a bit.
Considering how shit arty is (and since I have some form of integrity) I think the tiny gold cost is a far smaller price to pay than to test my patience clicking things.

MBT 70 is just silly. atm it makes MBT tank grinds unbearable just due to the sheer amount of them. That's not to say AFVs and Light tanks cant get away without killing them, because tier 4 ATGMs are perfectly capable of doing sizeable damage to the MBT-70 and so on. But for the time being most MBT lines simply dont have the means to do significant damage due to the severe over tiering of tier 4 and 5 MBTs because tier 6 and onward are such a leap of technology

Edited by PumpkinSpiceLatte

I asked Garbad to post the guide here. Ideally there would be an AW subforum on Wotlabs, but since there's none, somewhere people could easily find it made the most sense to me.

Now that the dust's settled a bit let's try to move on and keep on topic, shall we.

Could we get a reply from the admins regarding an AW subforum? Its clear that AW posts popping up around the forum is causing some strife. On topic for this thread might be off topic for wotlabs, depending on who you ask.

I will be playing AW and would prefer a subforum on wotlabs instead of having to pop back and forth to gamelabs. AW is a wot clone after all and I am sure there will be discussions that apply to both games.

Could we get a reply from the admins regarding an AW subforum? Its clear that AW posts popping up around the forum is causing some strife. On topic for this thread might be off topic for wotlabs, depending on who you ask.

I will be playing AW and would prefer a subforum on wotlabs instead of having to pop back and forth to gamelabs. AW is a wot clone after all and I am sure there will be discussions that apply to both games.

Its more the fact that garbad is still posting here than anything. Most people dont have a problem with AW as it stands. Other than dia of course because there is no bat chat in this game.

Edited by PumpkinSpiceLatte

So let's talk about cancer.

As recommended in my guide, cancer is a top priority because it unlocks the best MBT commander and the overall most useful mods in the game.  But its fucking cancer.  Wat to do?  I decided to calculate exactly what it would cost to obviate cancer from my playtime.

Tier 4 Cancer:

- Unlocked by playing X games (easy to do, all will do it eventually)

- Unlocks commander (carlos or freja)

- Unlocks gear tier 1

- Gives 30k

- Cost to get the items only:  255 gold.  Cost to get next tank:  519 gold.

- Requires 64800 exp, approximately 35 games in MBT-70.

- Estimated time to grind through:  97 games, ~6 hours.

Cost to bypass:  ~$1.75.

Tier 6 Cancer:

- Unlocks gear tier 2

- Gives 250k

- Cost to items only:  1082.  Cost for next tank:  2163

- Requires 270,300 exp, approximately 150 games in MBT-70.

- Estimated time to grind thru:  385 games, ~32 hours of grind.

Cost to bypass:  ~$7.00 ($8.75 cumulative)

Tier 8 Cancer:

- Unlocks gear tier 3

- Gives 1.5 mil exp (value of 1113 gold)

- Requires estimated 510k exp, approximately 250 games in MBT-70

- Estimated time to grind thru:  730 games, ~65 hours of grind.

Cost to bypass:  ~$14.50 (cumulative $24).  Does not count the 1113 worth of gold you get converted into 1.78m credits, value $4.

________________________________________________________________________________

So basically, the deal is this.  I am a top player; eventually I will have to have these top items on my best tanks.  The question is to bypass or play cancer (doubles).  So its either:

Option 1:  Grind

- Spend estimated 18 mil credits to buy and fit tanks.  Get back 9m.

- Get back estimated 25 mil in credits from playing 1250 games.  +16m net.

- Spend 105+ hours playing arty.

Option 2:  Bypass

- Spend 0 buying and fitting tanks.

- Earn estimated 26m net playing MBT-70.

- Spend ~35 hours playing MBT.

- Spend $24, and incentivize a game company to put in shitter content.

CONCLUSION:

Bypassing cancer makes +10mil credits more and saves ~70 hours.  Not to mention, playing the MBT 70 is inherently more fun than cancer.  The main downside is the cost -- $24.  But at the end of the day, I don't think I am willing to play cancer for $0.20 an hour. 

Playing cancer in AW is at least marginally more fun than in WoT. I think I'll just grind the tier 4's for their commanders and see from there. 

I'm actually really enjoying AW. WoT was fun, but it felt like the game was designed to put barriers to just having fun. Stock tanks, pretty much all I've done in the game, grinding stock tanks. Terrible shit sipping tanks cock blocking lines. 

So far in this, even the bad tanks are fun to play, simply due to the firepower and mobility.

Armored Talk will have a forum up soon.  Speaking of AT:

http://armoredtalk.com/2015/10/04/garbads-guide-to-aw-consumables-refits-equipment-commanders-and-crew/

NOOB GRIEFERS:

Ionnas Santio can be unlocked from the TD line. He features lots of conditional skills (chance to cause fire, etc) that are completely useless...except for one thing. You can stack them with the loader skill causing increased module damage and use the scorpion Hesh spammer. This cases massive module/crew destruction, which can be fun to grief people in noob pvp.

I really, really wanna do this. What's the best tank for this IYO? Does the Scorpion have the best HE round?

No, that would be the Centauro 155 which was removed from the game as for now.
For its tier, yeah, the Scorpion has the best HE round currently.

What about things like the Sheridan / Starship? And yeah, I remember looking at some 155 gameplay. Thank God they removed that thing.