Sign in to follow this  
Jarkorsis

I finally understand the Warspite love

I have had it collecting dust for a while because did not like BB play much. But since i was having so much with the Kongo, on up to Negato. (Kept all of them) and the Tirpitz, I figured I would learn to  Warspite. It took about 4 games to figure out how to hit anything at long range, but ended up top scorer in a T8 match with 1985 base exp and 350,000 credits profit. I dont undertand why Pensacola want to go point blank with you. My secondaries did 7500 damage to the cola. When they ever sell it on NA it is worth the money if they bundle isn't to stupid.

Edited by Jarkorsis
content

What modules are you guys running on the Warspite? Currently I have the module for better accuracy, but I don't know of it helps much. Would the faster turret turning be better?

Somehow the New Mexico (especially the guns) is so much better than the Warspite, it is not even funny. Too many 1000 damage hits with the Warspite for my taste.

Penetration seems really low for 38cm guns.

The turret turn will cost you 6 seconds on reload I think. I used accuracy, primary gun durability. I have lost a turret a time or 2. The AP round does almost as much damage as a tier 8.  The shell arc is higher than IJN so takes some getting used to.

The Warspite can also heal full Citadel damage as opposed to only 10% of it IIRC.
She is a really good brawler because of this and the fact that correctly angled at medium to short ranges you are going to be made of Bouncium.
Secondaries are deadly too, have butchered destroyers without even realising it.

Yes, that is true. It tanks like a beast and the secondaries are golden. 2 days ago I fought alone against 5 DDs and killed 4. 2 of them with my secondaries only.

The problem you're having with the Warspite guns are two fold (versus the New Mex, at least).

You're doing more damage per volley in the New Mex because the New Mex has more guns. For the most part it's as simple as that. Aim and accuracy and penetration come into it, but 4 overpens from the New Mex is still ±4k damage.

Speaking of overpens, that's what you're seeing with all those 1k damage hits. Those aren't non-pens, those are too much pens. If your shell would go straight through the ship without hitting anything valuable, then you deal 10% of the AP shell's damage. Which, for the most part, is around 1k.

How to do better? Better aiming: work out where the sweet spots to aim at for citadels are on targets you can pen (most of them), and where to aim for full pens on the ships you'll struggle with (like a mid range New Mexico). 

Usefull info, thank you! Somehow I already feared it is overpens. The problem is: it is a bit random where you hit when shooting at ~15km.

Is the overpen sound such a squeaky scratchy squeal? Then I do indeed a lot of overpens. Even on battleship broadsides.

Edited by PrivateBert

There is easy solution: Go closer, especially near end of game when there is less enemies left.  I am pretty newbie in this game but have got some good results when playing BB's and especially Warspite more agressive instead of camping 15-20km from enemies like most pub BB drivers too. Around 12km starts to be where you can start to really wreck imho as flight time and accuracy gets good enough to get multiple citadels. My record in warspite was something like 2700 base exp and 600k credits with boost, one of best games have had in any ship. Though gotta say, when in tier 8 match against Tirpitzes then Warspite starts to feel weak.

I do that already, I think I kill more DD then anything else, because they start to swarm you if you are the most forward ship :)

That's also something I like about the Warspite. It really wrecks DDs that wander to close. And with the rudder module it dodges torps suprisingly well. The rest you can tank.

I've been using the HP recovery one and the zulu. Kind of fun when the enemy BB thinks you're almost dead and then ...lolnope...

Yep. HP recovery, secondary buff, credit buff, commander XP buff, fire reduction buff and flat XP buff.

My Warspite gets pimped out.

I don't do as well in my Warspite as I'd like, dealing about the same 69k that my Nikolai does.  I think the range is my main problem.  Not only do I feel like I end up in more tier 8 matches than I'd like, but I'm nearly always outranged by other battleships regardless of MM.  If I have a 20km battleship I can use the range early and then move up when able, but with 16.5km range I find myself doing stupidly aggressive things too early just to be able to shoot at something.

I don't do as well in my Warspite as I'd like, dealing about the same 69k that my Nikolai does.  I think the range is my main problem.  Not only do I feel like I end up in more tier 8 matches than I'd like, but I'm nearly always outranged by other battleships regardless of MM.  If I have a 20km battleship I can use the range early and then move up when able, but with 16.5km range I find myself doing stupidly aggressive things too early just to be able to shoot at something.

Pop the scout plane for the first two salvoes and then close. You can really mind screw careless enemy battleships who assume you can't reach them. The thing about the Warspite is that it's really good at winning games, even if my damage is (like you) lower than my Fuso or NM. You can push a point and just keep fucking going, blasting every single light ship out of the water and isolating their big guns. 

With the increased secondary range flag to extend them to 7.6 km ( with appropriate Captain skills and add on modules ), it's actually not terrifying to see DD's bearing down on you.  If you can turn away and also have the speed flag ( boost to about 25 knots ) you will wear them out before they will wear you out.  I find myself turning to the Warspite more often each day, because it's rare to not have at least an adequate game with it.

Damage in my Warspite is also lower than in my other T6 Battleships. 55K for the Warspite, over 10K more in the others.

But it is a lot of fun to play. I really like it.

But why use an xp flag on it? It does not need any xp? And I already have half a million on it...300 games or so.