jonnydeathstar

Designated Target - how soon is too soon

Question

Hi -

Looking for Purple Poaster advice on the Designated Target perk.

In general, is it useful enough to get early on? Should I prioritize other skills first? is there a specific build / tank where you should get it first (passive scout?)

Specifically, I have it on my SU-152 & AMX12t. My crews are most of the way through their second skills.

AMX12t - crew in the 270% range

Commander: 6th sense, camo

Gunner: designated target, snap shot

driver: camo, smooth ride

SU-152 - crew in the 285% range

Commander: Commander: 6th sense, situational awareness

Gunner: designated target, deadeye (not quite trained yet)

drive: camo, clutch brakes

loader: safe stowage, camo

loader: camo (added this guy when I moved up from the SU-100, he is about 100% behind the rest - don't pick on him, he's slow)

I used to run it on my Tiger and Panther, but have since abandoned it for snap shot on those vehicles.

Cheers,

-j.

8 answers to this question

From personal experience, there is almost no opportunity to exploit enemies using the information that 'Designated Target' provides. It's not really useful unless the target has damaged gun, ammorack, engine, or their respective crew injured. Even then, it's highly unlikely that it would cause me to deviate from my already decided-upon strategy. With that being said, it's not like I notice the benefits of 'Brothers in Arms' or 'Camouflage' either..

I think you're confusing Designated Target with Eagle Eye

And tbh I don't think Designated Target is very useful at all, except maybe on some extremely vision centric scout builds; there are just better skills for your gunner to start (namely BiA, Camo, Snap Shot, and Repairs). The extra 2 seconds isn't helpful unless they're moving through an open area, which is extremely situational, and in which case you can just anticipate with reasonable efficacy. All the other skills I mentioned are almost always useful, or at least are useful over a much broader scope of situations than DT is.

just my 2c, I think Anfield runs it on his Bat or something, but it isn't a skill I'd recommend to anyone/use myself

Oops, made a mistake. 'Designated Target' is viable on the AMX12t, because if your passive scouting, spotting an enemy for an extra 2s does make a difference. Not so much for the SU-152, since you'll generally have a proxy spotter anyways, and people will just take cover too often.

I was looking at the description for this in-game, and it said it works on direct and in-direct fire mode. If it works on in-direct fire mode it might be useful for arty. Can anyone confirm if the in-game description is correct? 

Say a T34 with DT is hiding behind several bushes aiming at someone being spotted by an allied tank, does his DT work or he would have to the one spotting for the effect to kick in?

I was looking at the description for this in-game, and it said it works on direct and in-direct fire mode. If it works on in-direct fire mode it might be useful for arty. Can anyone confirm if the in-game description is correct?

As far as I know, it doesn't work in SPG view.

Say a T34 with DT is hiding behind several bushes aiming at someone being spotted by an allied tank, does his DT work or he would have to the one spotting for the effect to kick in?

Only works for tanks that are directly spotting the enemy.

As far as I know, it doesn't work in SPG view.

That's what I thought too. So I wonder if the in-game description is wrong or if they mean something else by in-direct fire mode?

I recently put designated target on my Hetzer crew (2.7 perks/skills from memory), which are now riding my E-25.

In fact i took it over Deadeye as its not useful in a Hetzer (with a 10.5cm HE).

The main reason i took it was for when a tank is about to cross a gap and just as they are about to come out, they disappear.

Also for long shots, especially hill top ones.