Rexxie

Padding

From an "average" player's perspective, padding doesn't really matter to me.

Anyone good enough to pad is still going to be leagues above me even if they're not padding, so I don't really see it as an issue. I just treat all unicums' skill level as effectively the same and move on with my life.

What's padding for you? For me it's pretty simple: I play randoms solo. So I want to play tanks which are relatively strong for their tier so I can actually influence the battle. After all I play this game for fun. And playing turds like the black prince or whatever solo in randoms is like cutting yourself. Why on earth would I do that? As far as my tank selection goes I play it flavour of the month style. Played a lot of M46 and 62A recently, kinda had enough of that now. So I'm doing some T-54 now which is surprisingly better than I remembered. Also gonna give the 140 another shot in randoms. I don't know but all these people calling out "padders" to me just seem jealous of something they couldn't achieve even if they tried hard.

I agree with garbad that I like how AW did it a lot more, hidden stats. That said, I recently added average tier to my xvm config again, to see who actually is good at playing/padding or who spammed low tiers to get purple and still is a shitter at high tier.

Also X3N4 just ninjaéd the rest of my reply...

What's padding for you? For me it's pretty simple: I play randoms solo. So I want to play tanks which are relatively strong for their tier so I can actually influence the battle. After all I play this game for fun. And playing turds like the black prince or whatever solo in randoms is like cutting yourself. Why on earth would I do that? As far as my tank selection goes I play it flavour of the month style. Played a lot of M46 and 62A recently, kinda had enough of that now. So I'm doing some T-54 now which is surprisingly better than I remembered. Also gonna give the 140 another shot in randoms. I don't know but all these people calling out "padders" to me just seem jealous of something they couldn't achieve even if they tried hard.

Do you honestly think the world is full of haters who are jealous of your internet tank stats?  Seriously, take a step back bro.

Do you honestly think the world is full of haters who are jealous of your internet tank stats?  Seriously, take a step back bro.

Of course not. But when someone whines about another person "padding" and he probably doesn't even know that person, how would you call that?

Also it's funny how you call someone out, at least you stopped bragging about your winrate and mediocre solopub challenges kek

Of course not. But when someone whines about another person "padding" and he probably doesn't even know that person, how would you call that?

Also it's funny how you call someone out, at least you stopped bragging about your winrate and mediocre solopub challenges kek

I think the Wz131 solo "Challenge" killed it. /Kappa

Depends on where you get ur 3k wn8, some1 like Xena isnt rly padding, since hes also better as the padders in the tanks he plays :P

But ppl who get barely 3k wn8 while playing T62 / E50 / cromwell B have inflated stats compared to ppl who get that with TDs or turd heavys...

Same many tanks nowadays considered ``good`` aka, fotm are only good if:

• Your an amazing player (which almost nobody is...)
  • You wanna pad

See also Rhm vs ISU, ISU was always miles better, Rhm was better for padding, WG nerfed the camo 0.1% and all of a sudden Rhm is nothing special anymore, same Obj 140 vs T62, gun depression + full armor + top speed vs marginal turret armor and accuracy, yet some ppl have 1k games in T62 and 100 in obj 140...???? (and im 100% sure if WG numbers would reverse for those 2 tanks within weeks half the T62 drivers switches to Obj 140...)

In some ways, im also padding, Lowe, IS-2b, KV4, KT, KV3 they all greatly buff my stats, but thats more a matter of nobody playing those tanks + slowpoke heavy tank = best tank

ps: 68 diff tanks last 830 games!

It does contain quite a lot of O-I Exp, which is padding but this crew doesnt grind itself :P, but i guess all the games in potato tanks even in out...

Rex, which half do I fall in?

edit - looking at my last 1k, its heavy LT and med oriented, because I spent all summer trying to do the LT and MT kill 3 arty missions, plus their respective 15 missions (at T-55A level). Might want to dig back to sometime in April or May for more representative sample. 

Edited by CraBeatOff

From my perspective: there's padding, and there's padding.

Lately there's a lot of 1,5k wn8 reroll shits going around on eu in op tanks/lights/whatever (preferably mid tier), while in reality most of them are sub 1kwn8 in terms of skill. Those are retard padders.

And then we have some of you guys.  Playing top tier tanks, with good crews, with optimised loadouts, equipment. You gameplay is on a whole different level, MANY (including me I guess) even if rerolled and tried to optimise their tanks/tactics to maximize dpg just wouldn't reach (super)uni. So, if you're purple and padding to get that high3k-4-5kwn8, well you're a legit god (or a goddess) of tanks to me.

Padding is padding, in my opinion it has a bit of a non-negotiable definition of "playing tanks that make you look better than you are". Like I said, even if you have a good excuse (in this case, because it's more fun) the result is the same in terms of how other people will react to you having those stats. And that's the heart of the problem - not that people pad, but how people react to padding. I appreciate that you want to defend the morality of whether padding is right or not, but that's not really what I'm getting at here.

Padding is padding, in my opinion it has a bit of a non-negotiable definition of "playing tanks that make you look better than you are". Like I said, even if you have a good excuse (in this case, because it's more fun) the result is the same in terms of how other people will react to you having those stats. And that's the heart of the problem - not that people pad, but how people react to padding. I appreciate that you want to defend the morality of whether padding is right or not, but that's not really what I'm getting at here.

But how can you be better than you are if you are the one playing the tank?

Depends on where you get ur 3k wn8, some1 like Xena isnt rly padding, since hes also better as the padders in the tanks he plays :P

But ppl who get barely 3k wn8 while playing T62 / E50 / cromwell B have inflated stats compared to ppl who get that with TDs or turd heavys...

Same many tanks nowadays considered ``good`` aka, fotm are only good if:

• Your an amazing player (which almost nobody is...)
  • You wanna pad

See also Rhm vs ISU, ISU was always miles better, Rhm was better for padding, WG nerfed the camo 0.1% and all of a sudden Rhm is nothing special anymore, same Obj 140 vs T62, gun depression + full armor + top speed vs marginal turret armor and accuracy, yet some ppl have 1k games in T62 and 100 in obj 140...???? (and im 100% sure if WG numbers would reverse for those 2 tanks within weeks half the T62 drivers switches to Obj 140...)

In some ways, im also padding, Lowe, IS-2b, KV4, KT, KV3 they all greatly buff my stats, but thats more a matter of nobody playing those tanks + slowpoke heavy tank = best tank

ps: 68 diff tanks last 830 games!

It does contain quite a lot of O-I Exp, which is padding but this crew doesnt grind itself :P, but i guess all the games in potato tanks even in out...

I actually am finding the 140 vs 62a thing interesting because i am starting to favor 62a in cw, where I don't think about my stats.

Might just be better as I just have to play 1 position or brawl though, but it has gotten me thinking since if I truly liked 62a only for stats I would think I would favor 140 in cw.

My 140 crew doesnt even have BIA though, so take this with a grain of salt.

I think I see what you're driving at Rexxie, but I'm not sure how much it matters. So far my experience has been pleasant here in WotLabs meaning no one has said 'learn2play noob' or 'gtfo shitter.' I think mainly it's because I try to maintain a respectful attitude when communicating plus a willingness to learn and not blame any bad stats I have on MM or my team.

Of course other people's mileage may vary. ;)

But how can you be better than you are if you are the one playing the tank?

It's about how we define what being "good" is. Since we (hopefully) attribute it to skill, not results, "how can you be better than you are" is a pretty easy one to answer. Your results can be better than your skill, and if this is the case, you can be "better than you are". Your skill and results are not the same thing.

I think I see what you're driving at Rexxie, but I'm not sure how much it matters. So far my experience has been pleasant here in WotLabs meaning no one has said 'learn2play noob' or 'gtfo shitter.' I think mainly it's because I try to maintain a respectful attitude when communicating plus a willingness to learn and not blame any bad stats I have on MM or my team.

Of course other people's mileage may vary. ;)

I find it unfortunate how most opinions of us are based off how we react when stressed and frustrated (In game tilt/rage) instead of when cool headed on a forum.

Even Kewei, who has like the biggest ego ever, can be quite helpful and write up good content. If you are not an idiot you can post on these forums with almost any stats. That being said, you will get questioned more if your stats are worse, and that is just an unfortunate side effect of what these forums are based off of imo.

Answer my question Rex, its borne not of insecurity, but more to intersect my experience and internal state with your methods (and I have conducted similar informal noobmeter surveys myself, so I am extra curious!)

It's about how we define what being "good" is. Since we (hopefully) attribute it to skill, not results, "how can you be better than you are" is a pretty easy one to answer. Your results can be better than your skill, and if this is the case, you can be "better than you are". Your skill and results are not the same thing.

That literally doesn't make any sense.

How can your result be better than your skill?

if a person plays 1000 games of ELC at 2k DPG, then hes a player who can do 2k DPG in an ELC, nothing more, nothing less.

his Wn8 might say 10000, but really, who with any relevance would care? But at the same time, does this make him a bad person?

No, hes just a guy who can do 2000 damage per game in an ELC.

Pretty sure I don't fall into the padding half, but I do play tanks such as the E50, M46, and (when I get it back) T54.  Not because of the padding potential but because those tanks are so much fun to play :) 

Kinda stopped caring about stats now tbh after watching Junkers have a debate on who the customer base is on world of tanks.  Bunch of 40-50 year old players who don't give a fuck about stats, don't care about winning, don't care about improving, all they care about is blowing up internet tanks and blowing up super unicums in arty and as long as they pay their $30 a month for premium they couldn't give a flying fuck.  This game has no future in esports (virtus pro leaving world of tanks esport scene is enough proof there), and it's clearly geared toward the casual player.  

So literally no fucking point anymore to care about stats unless you're trying to coach the player base that wants to improve for business and self gratification purposes.  

Really, could you even play this game in a way that isn't sort of padding? And not be an idiot, I mean. Let's seriously look at everything you can do compared to the average player that will improve your results:

• Save up free XP/buy free XP to skip some module grinds.
  • As above, skip ALL module grinds.
  • Use free XP to skip shit tanks entirely.
  • Always use decent crews.
  • Always use good crews.
  • Always use amazing crews by transferring only a single crew on each line.
  • Use some gold ammo.
  • Use more gold ammo.
  • USE ALL TEH GOLD AMMOZ!!!111
  • Use expensive kits for the minor bonuses.
  • Use food.
  • Get premium account to speed everything up.
  • Play more "padding" tanks.
  • Play way more "padding" tanks.
  • Never play a non "paddable" tank.
  • Never play anything but the most OP-as-fuck "paddable" tanks.
  • Platoon more to pad WR.
  • Platoon with better players.
  • Never play the game unless you're whoring it up triple purps, dawg *cue sound of hydraulic suspension*.
  • Play lower tiers to pad WR.
  • Play the same tank during sessions to keep in sync with it.
  • Play nothing BUT a single tank so you know it like the back of your hand.
  • Stick to the same tier during play sessions to keep in sync with the tier.
  • Never play anything but the same tier.
  • Buy every stupid pimp out for your rides before touching them (camo, equipment, soon to be inscriptions, etc.).
  • Get a PC capable of solid framerate instead of playing on some hand me down shitter laptop your grandpa gave you like half the pubs do.
  • Get a decent mouse instead of trackpadding dat shit up or using the mouse you stole off your manager's PC at Burger Hut like half the pubs do.
  • use all teh clan hax rerport for haxxing reported enjoy ur ban ther is no wa u saw me in bushes
  • But seriously, there's no way shit like laser sights wouldn't bump stats.
  • ETC ETC ETC +SHIT I NEVER EVEN THOUGHT OF

I do like half to two thirds of that shit not because I'm trying to pad, but because I would lose my mind trying to play like the average pub plays, rolling shit-ass tanks to dat 49 luck WR. Thing is, as shitty as this game can be at times I can't blame any one for just saying "fuck it" and abusing virtually every conceivable advantage. A good chunk of stats really is just trying to give yourself the best chance of succeeding, I'd like to see any one with any level of skill pwn teh noobs in a stock KV-4 with 5 APCR rounds.

Rex, which half do I fall in?

If I was doing my sample again and happened to pick you, I'd probably have to put you in that middle ground of "maybe padded, but then not". The main problem I'd have with judging you is that your stats are borne out of mostly light tanks, which can vary WILDLY with playstyle. If I had to take a shot in the dark, I'd say you are. Most people with your tank comp would probably be padding. On the other hand, if I didn't have to, I'd probably pass you up because there's no way of knowing. Light tanks are a wildcard that I'd file under "questionable".

That literally doesn't make any sense.

How can your result be better than your skill?

if a person plays 1000 games of ELC at 2k DPG, then hes a player who can do 2k DPG in an ELC, nothing more, nothing less.

his Wn8 might say 10000, but really, who with any relevance would care? But at the same time, does this make him a bad person?

No, hes just a guy who can do 2000 damage per game in an ELC.

It makes a lot of sense. You have a very optimistic (but very common!) view of how people view stats; I too would hope that people would look at stats with context, comparing them only when it makes sense, etc. Unfortunately, outside of the very high end (like getting vetted for a clan or team), this simply isn't the case. Unless you get called out and it becomes common knowledge (like what happened with Luna and his E-50, or Echelon and his ELC), people are simply not going to know why you have the stats you do. No one is going to care to look it up, that takes effort. The cold truth is that the stats to the left of your post, your username, and the clan you're in will almost always be what people use to judge your skill as a player.

For example, if you made two accounts, made sure to never indicate they are both yours, and got 3.5k on one and 5k on another through different tank comps, I'd promise you that the way people would weight your opinions would be massively different. Rarely is anyone going to go into your noobmeter and figure you out any more accurately.

If I was doing my sample again and happened to pick you, I'd probably have to put you in that middle ground of "maybe padded, but then not". The main problem I'd have with judging you is that your stats are borne out of mostly light tanks, which can vary WILDLY with playstyle. If I had to take a shot in the dark, I'd say you are. Most people with your tank comp would probably be padding. On the other hand, if I didn't have to, I'd probably pass you up because there's no way of knowing. Light tanks are a wildcard that I'd file under "questionable".

You missed my original qualifier, where I noted all those games are from trying to LT missions, and saying that a May-Oct sample would be representative of my last year of play (in terms of tank choice) :(

It makes a lot of sense. You have a very optimistic (but very common!) view of how people view stats; I too would hope that people would look at stats with context, comparing them only when it makes sense, etc. Unfortunately, outside of the very high end (like getting vetted for a clan or team), this simply isn't the case. Unless you get called out and it becomes common knowledge (like what happened with Luna and his E-50, or Echelon and his ELC), people are simply not going to know why you have the stats you do. No one is going to care to look it up, that takes effort. The cold truth is that the stats to the left of your post, your username, and the clan you're in will almost always be what people use to judge your skill as a player.

For example, if you made two accounts, made sure to never indicate they are both yours, and got 3.5k on one and 5k on another through different tank comps, I'd promise you that the way people would weight your opinions would be massively different. Rarely is anyone going to go into your noobmeter and put accurate weights on your opinions.

Both accts will be filled with textboxes of people screaming hack/warpack/chock on a dick at the end of the week.

To those relevant, I.E other top tier players, you are what you are, it doesn't matter if you reroll, because rerolling doesn't make you play better or worse, at the end of the day, the tank's performance, whether its a winrate padder or a wn8 padder, is yours. Its the only thing that defines you as a player. If someone can do 5k DPG in an E5, one is a reroll and one is "legit", i won't judge them differently, because they both perform at the same level, the fact that one started a new account does not have any affect on me.

In battle, i don't care what wn8 people have, if they are in a threatening spot, im shooting them first.

As a recruiter though, one also has to account for tanks, so i would pick a "legit" player solely due to him having better crew/tank selection if all other factors are equal.

• Play more "padding" tanks.
  • Play way more "padding" tanks.
  • Never play a non "paddable" tank.
  • Never play anything but the most OP-as-fuck "paddable" tanks.
  • Platoon more to pad WR.
  • Platoon with better players.
  • Never play the game unless you're whoring it up triple purps, dawg *cue sound of hydraulic suspension*.

Those points are the reason ppl quit though, they try hard in E50, they artificial inflate stats, they get bored of E50, but cant play anything else so quit because ``omg no more fun``

Its like a rat race to the top, where top is here more and more padding (more gold ammo, more platoon, more tanks pure for pad) and in the end they quit because they play for what? numbers...

Many people also dump gold to skip ``bad tanks``, but t7 and below grinds are very short, do a daily x2 and it wont take much time, so unless its a real mongrel tank, its pure to ``not harm stats``, same for people retraining high skill crews to put them in low tiers to grind a next line, or the fact nobody plays M4 or Panzer IV.

Some very powerfull tanks (T30, WTF-4) get barely played pure due to ``bad wn8``, heck, ST-1 might be the most powerfull tier 9 our there, especially in platoon, but how many ppl play it? nobody, because the WN8 it gives is crap, and nonsense like ``boring`` is a shit reason, since many people also claim to play 4 win, something the ST-1 is extremely good at...

Some very powerfull tanks (T30, WTF-4) get barely played pure due to ``bad wn8``, heck, ST-1 might be the most powerfull tier 9 our there, especially in platoon, but how many ppl play it? nobody, because the WN8 it gives is crap, and nonsense like ``boring`` is a shit reason, since many people also claim to play 4 win, something the ST-1 is extremely good at...

T30 and ST-I are easily some of the best tanks I've played and enjoyed recently. But I see where you're at. I really do like to play to win though, and my ST-I 80% winrate makes me happy (even though Kewei is partially responsible and the sample size is small)