Hazakdds

Worts and all

I just played 3 games and this is what came out.  A couple of 8's and a 6.  My main problem with the first 2, I think, is what to do when you see a roll coming.  I get that feeling of being overwhelmed and knowing that my gun can not do enough damage fast enough to stem the tide.

Centurion I:

On this map I saw how over matched we were in heavies and thought I could lend support.  I saw no one going field and thought for a second that I should go help there, but I'm too slow and would get hammered on the way over across the stream.  I then returned to my attempted support of the heavies in the city.  I attempted to hit the Panther 8.8 to no avail and then decided to hit the heavies as they came through at range from the tracks.  It was a rather quick game as our heavies got rolled.  My thoughts were that either I go in and do what I can before getting ripped, or try to give whatever added fire I could into targets of opportunity whilst staying alive.

Should I have gone into the city to try and give direct support?

http://wotreplays.com/site/2210012#highway-hazakdds-centurion_mk_i

Pershing:

This became complicated right from the start.  Our only light went valley and no one went mid road.  I tried to light the road as I have very good vision.  I gave it a few tries and then as my 6th didn't go off I went city.  I chose a spot I saw used in a stream and it worked out well for a minute or so until I couldn't keep them back long enough for our heavies to do work.  Arty was becoming a problem and near missed me once so I swung around the other side of the building to get crossing shots on the heavies coming through the city center and then tried to pin the IS-6 behind the church to at least take his gun out of the fight and give whatever remained of our tanks a chance to work.  He simply rushed me and killed me.

Should I have known the city was collapsing WAAAAY before it did and got the hell out to relocate up further into the back to get distance and hit them from there?

http://wotreplays.com/site/2210024#lakeville-hazakdds-m26_pershing

VK 30.02 (M):

Right from the start I thought the Cromwell B would go hill and he presented to most danger to the team so I went there thinking I could do the most from that position.  It was the T67 yolo that spotted him and I just helped burn him down.  Before I knew it just the OI and me were up on the hill so I didn't want to be too aggressive because he looked like he was very comfortable just sitting were he was.  I made a few attempts to light the ARL, but knew there had to be something camping that back ridge behind him.  It turned out to be the Nashorn which eventually killed me.  I focused on the ARL with gold during the end game push because I felt the Nashorn would be easier for my team to kill than the ARL.  I was practicing patience in this game and watching the mini map for the progress of the west and mid.

http://wotreplays.com/site/2210088#fiery_salient-hazakdds-vk_30_02_m

Thank you for your time and analysis.

Haz

I had time to watch your first game, I'll look at the other two tomorrow.

Some of my observations from the Centurion game on Highway.

1. You seem unsure of where to go at the start and then you settle into a spot at F8. You don't end up doing much here besides taking a few poor shots at the Panther 8.8. Neither of those shots had a chance to hit, just a sliver of his turret was poking. You should have repositioned to a better spot once the enemy team reached the town - there was nothing to shoot after they had all passed.
  2. Your position on the 9 line was too exposed - after your teammates died down the road, you give the enemy T30 and friends easy shots on you while in the center of the road. The T30 shot hurt you badly (you practically lost half of your health), and it wasn't worth trading with him and the two or three other tanks crossing the intersection.
  3. After you relocated to the 0 line, you end up aiming at the Tiger II UFP and you bounce a shot. The LFP was fully exposed, next time aim there. The turret hatch and the MG port on the left side of the UFP are weakpoints to aim for if you are closer.
  4. Honestly, while you didn't play all that well, you weren't the big reason your team lost. The game was a steamroll, and not in your team's favor. You would have been better off going field with the lights. You were possibly only up against a few lights and the 8.8 in the field initially, and the 8.8 decided to go mess around in the city instead of supporting field. You and the lights should have been able to win that fight, and the hills on the western side of the map would have allowed you to hulldown after you chased away/killed the lights in field. From there you could have pushed into the enemy base and tried to cap or at least force them to divert tanks back to react to you.
  5. Supporting city would have worked better if you picked better positions to poke out from or used some of the buildings as cover in between shots. Try to avoid situations where you get caught in the open, with no cover within reach to protect yourself in between shots.
Edited by JimmytehHand
Grammar

Thanks. 

My indecision was based on what had the most chance of doing something other than dying fast.  I did the worst thing, I split the difference.

I will comment on the 2nd and 3rd replay, I'm always straightforward in my comments, don't feel them as harsh please, it's just that I don't want to spend too much time to sugarcoat it too much.

Pershing game:
No light on the road? Either it's you that light the road (there is a quite safe hulldown spot on both sides of the road) or you go wide in the town or you stay back waiting for some developments. The way you go to the town is one hell of a risk (you initially go the right, long way around, butr when you go towards the buildings, now that is a bad call: a LT will still outspot you, since you are moving and he is probably passive scouting, his camo rating is much higher than yours. Even a pershing with optics can't outspot a light behind a bush. That poking you do is lucky as fuck, you should have been destroyed by TDs. Fortunately for you the enemy scout is as incompetent as yours.
Good position behind the tower thingy, it's a very effective one: you give another angle on the enemies. They have to turn the turrets, that is a good thing. Always look for safe possibilities to make them turn the turrets, it will give you and your team more space to work and safer shots. The problem you had was that you were using a single position too much, the AMX preaimed at you, so did the arty (that already tried to shoot you once). A better call would have been at least changing side of the building you were poking EARLIER. This is where situational awareness comes in: "I put 3-4 shots in from this position, they will aim at me, I should change position so it is unexpected for them", not "I put 3-4 shots in from this position, I'll put another one, oh crap they hit me and I lost HP, I need to relocate". I hope the difference is clear: in the first case you limit your dmg taken ;)
Lastly you should have GTFO after ur first shot on the T34. they had too much HP, you couldn't handle it. The IS6 could have rushed you even sooner, since he had a free path to your face. Now how do you spot a situation like this? You watch your own HP, you see if there is allies nearby and judge your armour: your equation before the IS6 rushed you looked like this:
2 shots and I'm dead + isolated (nearest allied was the T34, he was 2 allyways more near the lake) + no armour nor "fear factor" for an IS6 = death
What could I have done?, you may ask: you had a chance to go away and set up another defense line near the base. You could have had shots from range using your view range from where the scorpion is or from B4. Your chance was after you shot the T34 the firt time, or even a tiny bit sooner.

VK game:
initial positioning is kinda bad, I never use that position anymore. Only exception might be with a good hudown tank and no arty. You expecially need good gun depression, in ur VK you are going to poke on a cromb that has way more depression than you, resulting in you exposing urself completely (without or at least with few bushes) against a hulldown cromwell (that u spotted at the beginning) with lots of foliage in front of him. So that's the analysis of the initial deplyment. NEVER look at the enemies stats and think "I need to kill that guy cauz he's good". It doesn't work. Fortunately the cromB overexposed himself, but I wanted to put out there what the probelms with that position could be, so that you would think about what you did :)
The next position you go in is far more effective, since you do not need gun  depression and you have foliage covering you. with the spotting by the rudy you manage to put your gun to work and that is one of the most important things in a game.
When you rush the ARL you doi something wrong though you have 2 options:
- Go fully in and below the gun depression of the nashorn
- Stay behind the house in front of the ARL
You chose the second one, but in my opinion you should have targeted the nashorn for the following reasons:
- You could safely pull out without exposing to the ARL and only expost yourself to the nashorn's gun
- The OI behind you is fear factor for the ARL, he could have your back if the ARL came to you
- Also backup was arriving, you kinda suicided
What did you achieve was mainly to expose yourself to 2 guns at the same time while you could avoid it.
What did u do well in the end game push was timing it very well, just a tiny bit early. The backup arrived just as you died, that means you were watching your minimap and knew what was happening on the other parts of the map.

Things to look for:
- Initial deployment and "sniper alleys" the lakeville positioning at the beginning could have killed you, the initial deployment for the VK was kinda poor, some luck and a suicidal T67 scout saved you.
- Apply the "formula" for when to fall back, try to avoid being outgunned, try to avoid being in a position just "because I want to kill the scary purple guy", always think of positions where your tank is best amd where u counter the enemy team setup more effectively

there could be a typo here and there, just pretend you didn't see it :P 

Thanks tons Britzz. 

Please don't waste words on sugarcoating anything.  It get's in the way of really learning.

I've read this through a few times and will watch my replays again when I get home.  I like the formula thought process.  I'm working with my platoon mates on GTFO earlier then we have been.  This is my project for the week!

Thanks again,

Haz

Edited by Hazakdds

Thanks tons Britzz. 

Please don't waste words on sugarcoating anything.  It get's in the way of really learning.

I've read this through a few times and will watch my replays again when I get home.  I like the formula thought process.  I'm working with my platoon mates on GTFO earlier then we have been.  This is my project for the week!

Thanks again,

Haz

I hope it helps, feel free to ask if you have any questions after watching your replays again, I'll be happy to answer! :)

Thanks Britzz.

There is something I have been noticing, and it may be narcissistic, but there are many games that when I get whacked it seems the rest of my team goes down in rather short order, like my flank just folds very quickly.  However, the longer I stay alive the more games we win.  This may sound simplistic, but my team NEEDS me to stay alive.  Do you find this as well?

One disturbing trend that I note...

Why do you wait so long to shoot? In the VK match, coming down the hill on the ARL you have a shot, but held it. If you had taken the shot, you may not have felt so pressed to swing to his right and then get hit by the Nash.

In the Cent match you have a shot on the Tiger II and wait until the Cent bloom is miniscule even with 3 tanks bearing down on you.

I understand it's important to get the shot aimed, but when you are less than 1 grid from a tank, and there are two of them...you may want to take your shot. Especially with tanks bearing down on you!

Think of it this way...would they wait to shoot you?

Thanks Britzz.

There is something I have been noticing, and it may be narcissistic, but there are many games that when I get whacked it seems the rest of my team goes down in rather short order, like my flank just folds very quickly.  However, the longer I stay alive the more games we win.  This may sound simplistic, but my team NEEDS me to stay alive.  Do you find this as well?

Let's put it this way:
your gun is important, if your gun is not in the game you will feel like the team is crumbling faster than it seems to you when you are in the game. I have the same identical feeling, I bet people with even higher impact on the game in terms of dmg and wins will have an even stronger feeling.

So if you have that feeling it is normal, also it means you are doing something right. On another note, longer you survive, more damage you can do and more impact you can have on a game. So staying alive while having your gun firing as much as you can is the main objective and you should strive to achieve it. Look at the stats from players like X3N4 (EU), BPX (EU), Garbad, Carbonward and Crab: their overall survival rate is almost double than yours or mine, their winrate follows the pattern. It means they are there to win the game untill the very end. Surviving is the first thing to win a game, you can't win it yourself if you are not there alive and kicking.

One disturbing trend that I note...

Why do you wait so long to shoot? In the VK match, coming down the hill on the ARL you have a shot, but held it. If you had taken the shot, you may not have felt so pressed to swing to his right and then get hit by the Nash.

In the Cent match you have a shot on the Tiger II and wait until the Cent bloom is miniscule even with 3 tanks bearing down on you.

I understand it's important to get the shot aimed, but when you are less than 1 grid from a tank, and there are two of them...you may want to take your shot. Especially with tanks bearing down on you!

Think of it this way...would they wait to shoot you?

Hi Pitch_Black,

I'll have to go back and take a look at the VK match to see where you're talking about, but shooting on the run with that tank and gun has been spotty at best.  It's like the gunner is a Little League pitcher throwing wild curve balls all the time.  I wanted to make sure that if I was going to fire, I was going to hit him.  I've seen Zeven take snap shots all the time and it's a work in progress for me.

The Cent I game, quite simply put, had me at a loss from the very beginning figuring out what to do.  I kept trying to look at the map to see what was going on with the field knowing that flank was going to collapse, and then trying to hit the heavies as they gave little of themselves coming across my view in the city lanes. 

Generally I've been trying to work on accuracy with my shots especially at higher tiers because weak spots become much more important the higher you go.  I've been focusing on patience waiting for good accurate shots when trading and also revealing my position due to taking the shot.  I know that didn't have much to do with the Cent game, but as soon as I hit someone in the city I became a target.

Thanks for you observations.  :-)

Haz

Let's put it this way:your gun is important, if your gun is not in the game you will feel like the team is crumbling faster than it seems to you when you are in the game. I have the same identical feeling, I bet people with even higher impact on the game in terms of dmg and wins will have an even stronger feeling.

So if you have that feeling it is normal, also it means you are doing something right. On another note, longer you survive, more damage you can do and more impact you can have on a game. So staying alive while having your gun firing as much as you can is the main objective and you should strive to achieve it. Look at the stats from players like X3N4 (EU), BPX (EU), Garbad, Carbonward and Crab: their overall survival rate is almost double than yours or mine, their winrate follows the pattern. It means they are there to win the game untill the very end. Surviving is the first thing to win a game, you can't win it yourself if you are not there alive and kicking.

Hi Britzz,

I have to confess that I'm too susceptible to being guilted into putting myself into bad situations by team chat.  This is getting better as my confidence improves, but I'm seriously considering turning it off because it's sometimes more annoying that helpful.  I need to learn to filter out the bullshit and stick with my own game plan.  Arty and TD's spamming the chat with map pings and telling you to move up into bad positions only serves to get them damage and kills and you dead...  After you light whatever killed you.  Staying alive and conserving HP is one of the pillars of good play.  Along with 1000 other things during the game.

I feel like a short order cook having to keep multiple things going all at once and going back to check on several things that need your constant attention.  Either you burn the bacon, or the meal comes out on time and hot.

Thanks,

Haz

I'll have to go back and take a look at the VK match to see where you're talking about, but shooting on the run with that tank and gun has been spotty at best.  It's like the gunner is a Little League pitcher throwing wild curve balls all the time.  I wanted to make sure that if I was going to fire, I was going to hit him.  I've seen Zeven take snap shots all the time and it's a work in progress for me.

As of snapshots, what @Pitch_Black is trying to say (if I understand correctly) is this:

GLr2RQK.png

(OP paint skillz for the pic and case study)

Case study:
You want to move from your initial position to your desired spot behind cover 2. Doing so you have to move between cover 1 and cover 2. In blue you have a chance of shooting the enemies on the move, after that you will get to cover 2 and to your desired shooting location, marked in purple.
Let's think about this: from the location in blue to the desired position you will have a certain amount of time where you are SURE u will not use your gun. If that amount of time is enough or just about enough to reload your gun you will have to take a snapshot on the move while moving in the blue area. The reason is simple, you will not need a loaded gun anyways in the next approx 10 seconds or whatever that time is. What happens if you shoot? you are going to get spotted anyways, so no worries about the camo drop, but you will have a chance of doing damage while getting to your position. if you do dmg you will have profit (one more damaging shot thanks to RNG) if you miss nothing happened and your gun will be loaded once you get to your desired position anyways, same as if you didn't shoot, but you have had one more chance at hitting the enemies!

This can apply only if you know u will be spotted or if you are already spotted, if you want max camo do not shoot. in any other case you should take these occasional shots if you are sure your gun will be unused for the time it takes to get to the next shooting location. Another thing you can do in tanks like a cromwell (high aim time, low reload time) is fire your first shot completely unaimed and fire the next one when you are aimed (aiming time and reload time are simillar, so you have an RNG chance of doing double the damage in the same timeframe). This applies to shots on targets that are already being targeted ar that are in the open. It is of course always very situationals, but never underestimate the power of snapshots and RNG help to get some random damaging shots in.

Ninja paint skillz!

I think I remember someone saying, "You miss 100% of the shots you do not take."

Got it.

I'll put up some more games to day after work.

Haz

OBTW...

In the Cent match you were rolling all over the train tracks, and I was watching the barrel bob up and all around (yes, I know what I did there-keep it clean!) so it made me think you don't have two key things on that line of tanks...vertical stabilizer and smooth ride. The Cent gun is meh, but not poor as that Brit line of guns has good-great accuracy. You need to maximize it, and take the shots when they are presented to you. In the immortal words of Garbad "keep the barrel hot".

I'm running vents, rammer and optics right now.  I think the driver has smooth ride, but I'll check next time I'm on.

Definitely grab Vert Stab. It and a gun rammer trump most other equipment types combined, and are the only two that make a significant impact on performance on their lonesome.

I did notice your early positioning on both the Pershing and Cent games were quite poor, but I can't complain about your choice of going hill on Prokh. It's mostly just reading where your team needs you most, and there were enough people middle that I don't know what more you could of done from that flank. You certainly should of at least gave middle road a shot on lakeville, and your cent positioning should of almost certainly been on field. The cent is not nearly slow enough that its going to get killed while at the stream, you'd need to be in something like a Maus for that scenario to play out. With that said, you should stick to the edge of the map & field, not try to drive through the middle of highway.

The reoccurring theme I seemed to notice was your hesitance to retreat. While none of those games were likely to be won even if you had, there has probably been a plethora of matches you've lost because of that habit. Once things go as south as they did in your Cent and Pershing game, you really need to leave the scene while you still have enough HP to get away. Anywhere is better than hiding behind a building until an IS-6 harvests you.

Unfortunately, the lakeville match was really the only match where I felt like you had a reasonable shot of winning the match. Neither of us would of won the Highway match, and you could of probably gone AFK and won the Prokh match. It's hard to give advice in matches like there where even if you'd of played like a superunicum, the result would of been the same. However, definitely try to take away reoccurring problems - in this case, your main problem seems to be almost entirely movement. When you do move you seem to often do it in ways that are risky or ineffective, and other times you don't move when you really need to.