dualmaster333

Getting into the mind of a 44%er

This weekend I saw a link on the official forums for someone streaming.  I clicked his profile and saw that he was a solid 44%er.  In the name of science I decided to observe him for a short while.  Here are a few things I saw:

- He sounded like he was ~14

- He was playing at 8-15 fps, ~125 ping

- He had 20 garage slots and 2 tanks.  He once had a Super Pershing and sold it.  He also had a KV-4 but hated it because "it lost credits like crazy"

- He had an AT 2 with 50% crew, no equipment, no consumables.  He sold this tank after losing two games in it

- He had an M10 with a camo net and a single repair kit.  He even used it once during a match

- He usually drove around in a circle once or twice when starting the match trying to figure out where he should go

- When he did decide where to go, he often drove right through the open until making contact with the enemy.  He never once used cover.

- Most games he died quickly without doing any damage

- He was very impressed when he saw a guy from Anvil on the enemy team.  He drove straight at him in his AT 2 and the Anvil T14 immediately drove behind him and killed him.

- He had zero understanding of strategy.  Except for the time where he charged forward alone on a flank and died....then he was quite certain that his stupid team didn't win the most important side.

- In one game he managed to get 5 kills.  With 5 enemy tanks still alive, he then drove straight toward the cap and sat there and capped while talking about how much he would love to get a Top Gun.

- He did not seem to be having much fun, despite playing for fun

Sounds about right.

It takes a special kind of badness to do that poorly, and what you describe sounds almost like intentionally underperforming to anyone who knows how to play the game in any fashion at all.

His performence seems to say he doesn't do much more for his team then a bot would, and therefore they have the same w/l rate. Just rushing, and dieing, and going back to the garage and doing it all over again. Sounds... a little like the old me. Given, I wasn't that bad, but I was in the same league. Sometimes you derp in the right place at the right time, but most of the time...

Edit: the play for fun thing is a terrible lie. I used to use that exuse, really it was no fun at all. But I'm sure you all knew that :smug:

I presume there was a lot of space in the mind of the 44%er. 

Kudos to you to subjecting yourself to it though. I supposed its extra juicy to see the crews/loadouts/unedited footage, as opposed to just the snippets of horrendous late game decisions, post my demise.

This player sounds like the type who is actually so bad that they can counter skill, simply by lighting (accidentally) my scout in some ridiculous spot, or camping some inane place. 

Day 78: The baddies seem to have accepted me. They still don't realize I'm actually good@tanks.

But anyway... that sounds scary.

Most baddies at least charge toward the base immediately. They don't dither about it.

Thanks for the insight. Now we know some of why they do what.

Kudos to you to subjecting yourself to it though. I supposed its extra juicy to see the crews/loadouts/unedited footage, as opposed to just the snippets of horrendous late game decisions, post my demise.

This player sounds like the type who is actually so bad that they can counter skill, simply by lighting (accidentally) my scout in some ridiculous spot, or camping some inane place. 

Yep. I used to be one as well, and it was just derp in a game, die, back to garage to get another tank. And even now, I find some scrub with a red wn6/winrate, getting me killed by luck.

Sounds about right. It's amazing how many basic things they would immediately be able to improve on just by reading a few guides here. I'd like to platoon with a couple of 45%ers sometime and see how they function in battle first-hand, and if they can coordinate with guidance.

Sounds about right. It's amazing how many basic things they would immediately be able to improve on just by reading a few guides here. I'd like to platoon with a couple of 45%ers sometime and see how they function in battle first-hand, and if they can coordinate with guidance.

The interesting thing is that he actually realized once or twice that he had done something stupid.  Specifically after he charged in at a bad time.  But he seemed to be unable to prevent himself from doing it again.  Then, of course, there was a myriad of other mistakes he made that he never recognized...

Another fun tidbit: He said this was his 10th account since alpha.

(p.s. - Sorry I missed your platoon invites.  I tried once yesterday but the platoon had already been filled)

It kept my attention for a good 20 minutes.  You know, the type of thing that is so bad you can't take your eyes off it.

And yes, he is just the type of player I fear.  Like yesterday when I was playing my M8A1 and ran in to that T1 HT.  He just charged across the open field and I couldn't kill him fast enough before he rammed in to me and killed both of us.

I know this is not 100% on topic but....

I believe that a persons WOT strats are tied to there IQ and IQ alone.. I believe the good players in WOT more then likely come from a back ground of success in games(all types;poker, COD ex..) even real life to an extent. I believe that if you where to blind test a sample group of WOT players you would be able to pick the Uncorns by IQ scores.. As you would be able to pick out the stat deniers..

If there is interests and we can somehow get a group of sub 45% players(10k +games) to get sample score..

But take my theory with a grain of salt.. I smoke stupid amounts of pot, and have ADHD... So what I am saying I might be a bit of a burn out..

I've talked to a particularly bad player on the official forum, a 43%er that found out it was possible to grind tanks by rushing straight out and getting killed for around 250xp(with premium), jumping out of the battle and then rolling another tank.

The player thought that playing as many matches as possible in a day and doing something a little different each time would be enough to figure out the game.

I've explained some things to that player, sent several guides and in turn was told that the battle mechanics page of the wiki is "gibberish".

And yes, he is just the type of player I fear.  Like yesterday when I was playing my M8A1 and ran in to that T1 HT.  He just charged across the open field and I couldn't kill him fast enough before he rammed in to me and killed both of us.

When I'm in any tank that relies on camo, which is generally my favorite playstyle, the 46%ers in fast tanks scare me so much more than any 52%er. I like overlook areas with bushes being the only separation between me and where the enemy will be, and when they derp rush in my area it spoils the whole thing.

Also, people who suicide rush just to take a single tank out. In my T49 on Widepark yesterday, a few minutes in and sniping east side from western-most center hill, and a 38nA rushes me right over the hill. Immediately hits my turret ring and gets me down to 11 health before I kill him. Waste of a tank for him, crippling to my ability to carry for the rest of the game to me.

I agree with you and Agamemneon. Places that are AWESOME passive light spots in CW can be death in pubs cause some moron derps right into the open and lights you and then the campers in the back kill you before you can get under hard cover.

I know this is not 100% on topic but....

I believe that a persons WOT strats are tied to there IQ and IQ alone.. I believe the good players in WOT more then likely come from a back ground of success in games(all types;poker, COD ex..) even real life to an extent. I believe that if you where to blind test a sample group of WOT players you would be able to pick the Uncorns by IQ scores.. As you would be able to pick out the stat deniers..

If there is interests and we can somehow get a group of sub 45% players(10k +games) to get sample score..

But take my theory with a grain of salt.. I smoke stupid amounts of pot, and have ADHD... So what I am saying I might be a bit of a burn out..

Yes and No. I know Physics Ph.Ds that are brilliant..... and JUST TERRIBAD at RTS. I don't know why.... but seem bad at game theory.

Being good at a new "thing" requires self evaluation..... something that our school system seems designed to beat out of you. I'll admit that I am not NEARLY as good at this as say Crab. Look how fast Crab wen from shit to great. I am fully capable of recognizing skill and learning from said skill.

I would agree that people good@teaching themselves tanks... are probably good@poker.

What goes on in a 44% brain? Easy:

3 ... 2... 1... Roll out!

Ooomph ... where am I? ... Gotta blow something up!

Presses "S" button and accidently smashes his tank into an arty behind him, the arty loses half his health.

Dude why did you ram me? L2P! ... Gotta blow him up!

Stops moving and slowly turns his turret towards arty. Fires and misses.

Stop moving. How am I supposed to blow you up? ... **** this. ... Oooomph ... Gotta blow something up!

Starts moving in a straight line towards the enemy base.

Wow this is cool! I will win this! I am a hero! I will blow them all up!

He gets spotted, enemy fire rains on him and his tank is destroyed within 2 seconds.

****! They blew me up!

Starts typing in chat: "Loser team! Why didn't you support me! You losers! **** you!"

Then he types into global chat: "****ing invisible tanks! You cheaters!"

Randomly picks 5 players from enemy team and reports them for unfair play.

Is there a story about this somewhere?

Its no different than anyone else's. If anything cmcgillen or jacg or mistercoolone are more impressive. I just played arty and sucked at tanks and got carried by sangdraax for 2-3 months before I found out you could win 60-70% solo from the KV-5 challenge, then I went a practicing. 

There might be something in here

http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/240423-a-sit-down-with-crabeatoff/

But to be honest, I used to be a 46%er at my lowest point. I had the same IQ as now. The differences are more subtle, just three examples:

• I was able to notice a weak or failing flank on the minimap. I just wasn't able to deal effectively with it. Countless times I died heroically yet pointlessly trying to patch the hole rather than fall back and fight from a better spot/ where I would get some support.
  • I had severe problems getting shots with tanks that haven't gotten decent gun depression in hilly territory.
  • I lacked understanding of the vision game. How to spot, how to avoid getting spotted, when to fall back because you are likely spotted (didn't have a single commander with sixth sense back then).

I'm just amazed at the sheer chutzpah of someone that bad actually streaming...

Aside from not caring to invest in the equipment I'd need to stream, the last thing I want is a bunch of people looking over my shoulder telling me how much I suck every 10 seconds...yeeesh. (Especially from the ones who are better than me and right about my skills.)