Sgt. Pepper

Looking to buy a new GPU (breaking news!)

BREAKING NEWS: Just found my PC specs (don't ask why it's a factory made PoS). Here is the PC I currently own (and bought in 2010). http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Pavilion-Elite-HPE-Desktop-PC-series/4269972/model/4324610/document/c02504610/

So, I've decided that the computer that I own needs an upgrade. Primarily looking at the GPU (maybe a RAM stick but they're cheap). I've taken a look (not considering my slot type yet because I'm not near my PC) at these two GPUs:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8899411&CatId=11972

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=9088213&csid=_61

the GT 740 looks like the better buy. But I looked at this (http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/index.php)and it said that the 2 GB one was superior to the GT 740. So yeah, I'd like an opinion on which is the better buy and just say if you guys have any suggestions for a GPU. My price is up to $200. Thanks!

Edit: In response to Folterknecht, my native resolution is 1920 x 1080 (holy shit my monitor is huge, I love it except the PC is some factory pre-made crap) and I'm not sure about the PSU model since I'm on vacation and can't look at it.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I would recommend the 750 TI has it is more powerful. You need the ram if you are going to run stuff in high resolution but if you want to run in 2k or 4k or 1440, you better get something a little more powerful like a 960 or 950.

Just buy a 950 if you're on a budget. For what it's worth OP, pretty much any card below the 950's performance level isn't worth spending money on. You get absolute shit performance per dollar, even if they're cheap.

I would recommend the 750 TI has it is more powerful. You need the ram if you are going to run stuff in high resolution but if you want to run in 2k or 4k or 1440, you better get something a little more powerful like a 960 or 950.

You won't be running anything above 1080p on any card lower than a 970/390.

Edited by KenadianCSJ

Check out  Micro center before you buy anything. I just got an EVGA GTX 960 superclocked with 4 gb Vram for $225 on sale. Even got a free steam key for Arkham Night($60 game).  The 2 gb ones were barely over 200. EVGA cards are always slightly more expensive than some other brands, so you might find one under 200.

The 740 you listed doesn't show it supporting DX11, so new games may be a problem. It actually doesn't show it using any version of DX, which is strange.

The 750 TI is last generation technology and only has 2 gb of Vram. That may be a problem now or in the near future depending on what games you play. GTA 5 maxed out on 1080p uses close to 3 gb, and the new Batman game uses 3.7 with the same settings. If you go to a larger monitor and go past 1080p, a 2gb card isn't going to cut it with many things. It's better to spend an extra 20-40 bucks for current generation graphics cards so you won't need another one in a year. Also try to get a 4gb version and daul fans if available.

Edited by Driftin

It'd help if we knew the build components so we can tell what won't be a bottleneck as well.

First post that makes sense in this thread!

@Sgt. Pepper:

Dont fortget to tell us your monitors native resolution and the model of your PSU

Visit MaximumPC and see what they currently recommend for a budget and mid- priced graphics card.

If I was on a budget, the lowest card I would shop for would be a gtx 970. If you can find one on special, ou would be worth scraping together a bit more cash. It will last longer for newer games.

MaximumPC says ati r9 270 is the best at the level you are looking at. Less than $200.... 

Edited by FleshG

Can we please not recommend anything to OP (especially not a 270......) until he tells us the full details of his build? Yes he can go buy the XXTITAN970R390XXX - but it's pointless if the rest of his build cannot handle it.

Additionally, regarding "low budget" builds - it's inevitable that you're going to end up spending more money in the long run. OP, if you can...when upgrading your PC try to have a "good" budget that does not confine you to 2nd or even 3rd rate components. Save up if you can, allow yourself to shell out more money so that you won't have to do so again in the future.  

Edited by koel76

Can we please not recommend anything to OP (especially not a 270......) until he tells us the full details of his build? Yes he can go buy the XXTITAN970R390XXX - but it's pointless if the rest of his build cannot handle it.

Additionally, regarding "low budget" builds - it's inevitable that you're going to end up spending more money in the long run. OP, if you can...when upgrading your PC try to have a "good" budget that does not confine you to 2nd or even 3rd rate components. Save up if you can, allow yourself to shell out more money so that you won't have to do so again in the future.  

OP has given us a budget for his GPU, 200 bucks, so that atleast already gives us a range. Unless he's got some dodgy ass pre-built PC power supply, he should be fine with a 950.

This is interesting.  They even have WOT on the game list:

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/help-me-choose-gpu

As mentioned above, Microcenter can have some killer deals.  I got my GTX970 Video Card through B&H photo for $329 right as they came out.

Techbargains list items on sale all over the web: http://www.techbargains.com/

GL

OP has given us a budget for his GPU, 200 bucks, so that atleast already gives us a range. Unless he's got some dodgy ass pre-built PC power supply, he should be fine with a 950.

And? Read the last part of my post.

"Additionally, regarding "low budget" builds - it's inevitable that you're going to end up spending more money in the long run. OP, if you can...when upgrading your PC try to have a "good" budget that does not confine you to 2nd or even 3rd rate components. Save up if you can, allow yourself to shell out more money so that you won't have to do so again in the future. "

Edit: In response to Folterknecht, my native resolution is 1920 x 1080 (holy shit my monitor is huge, I love it except the PC is some factory pre-made crap) and I'm not sure about the PSU model since I'm on vacation and can't look at it.

No it's not, it's become the standard resolution. Either way...what other components are in your system? you ignored the question above him.

Without knowing what PSU you have, at least the CPU and no idea how big your case is, recommending a GPU is pointless. 
It would also be nice to know your gaming habbits. Do you only play WoT or do you escalate things from time to time playing Minesweeper?

That aside with a budget of 200$ I wouldnt even look at things like GT740, which is a waste of money to begin with. In that price range you can get (sorted by FPS): R9 380, GTX960, R7 270X, GTX760, GTX950

unbenanntjsr8n.jpg

No it's not, it's become the standard resolution. Either way...what other components are in your system? you ignored the question above him.

I can't really answer what other components I have because I'm away from my PC

Without knowing what PSU you have, at least the CPU and no idea how big your case is, recommending a GPU is pointless. 
It would also be nice to know your gaming habbits. Do you only play WoT or do you escalate things from time to time playing Minesweeper?

That aside with a budget of 200$ I wouldnt even look at things like GT740, which is a waste of money to begin with. In that price range you can get (sorted by FPS): R9 380, GTX960, R7 270X, GTX760, GTX950

unbenanntjsr8n.jpg

I do play different things (or would like to, my PC is just so outdated). But yeah, I'll see what I can do to find the info on my PC (if only I knew the model number so I could look it up on HP's website).

I can't really answer what other components I have because I'm away from my PC

I do play different things (or would like to, my PC is just so outdated). But yeah, I'll see what I can do to find the info on my PC (if only I knew the model number so I could look it up on HP's website).

If it's a prebuilt PC, you can probably bet that the PSU is a festering piece of shit.