LSS, I am currently using an iPhone 5 and am eligible for the typical 2 year upgrade discount through AT&T come next month.

I am wondering if I should upgrade now (and what I should get), or if I should just hold on to this one until something mind-blowing comes out (and reduces prices of current gen smartphones).

Things I use my phone for regularly: Web browsing, Youtube, listening to podcasts. (must haves)
Occasional usage: social media (facebook/snapchat), games (hearthstone), Slack for clan communication. (Prefer to have)
My music library is tiny (only some legal TS stuff and then a couple of torrented albums).

Stuff I want from new phone: Bigger battery (I5 has ~1400mah, I have chargers at home and in car but it would be nice to not have to recharge at all during the day), better screen size/resolution (I5 is 4" diag and 1136x640).
I have 0 preference between Apple vs Andriod, I'm looking for something that fits my requirements. If a better product exists for the same price then I will learn the new OS.

So, is there anything out there that works? I'm kind of looking at the 6S Plus due to battery/screen upgrades plus a brand new chipset. I don't mind having a massive phone since I do a lot of media intake on it and not much else. (I'm fine with spending the $300 on it if it fits what I want).

I am only familiar with Apple because I only because I like having a uniform set of devices and parts (chips, somewhat cameras, batteries, space, etc). The 6S+ has more battery life and (obviously) resolution than the 6S. 1920x1080 on the 6S+ and the 6S having 1334x750 and just under an inch smaller screen (6S). Here's more info about comparing:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/iphone-6-vs-iphone-6-plus

get GS6E+ , flash cyanogen mod or miui for iOS feelz, profit.

thats what i`d get after my old lg g3 as a power user. 2k screen is clearly superior to fhd at least for me :doge:

the only real drawbacks are irreplaceable battery and no microSD slot.

and it runs on Wolfson WM1840 @ Maxim MAX98505, so it would even feed some study monitors without "big" loss in quality. 

LSS, I am currently using an iPhone 5 and ...

I am wondering if I should upgrade now (and what I should get),

The must have upgrade for iPhone users - the original "Ackerschnacker", da träumt der Führer von!

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTAyNFg1NzY=/z/7n8AAOSwDNdVmT9t/$_20.JPG

$_72.JPG
$_20.JPG

get GS6E+ , flash cyanogen mod or miui for iOS feelz, profit.

thats what i`d get after my old lg g3 as a power user. 2k screen is clearly superior to fhd at least for me :doge:

the only real drawbacks are irreplaceable battery and no microSD slot.

and it runs on Wolfson WM1840 @ Maxim MAX98505, so it would even feed some study monitors without "big" loss in quality. 

I love the hardware specs on the Galaxy series (srsly, 1440p phone? yisspls), but the issue is that I get pretty much all of my music intake via iTunes Podcasts (mostly Monstercat and ABGT). Is there any counterpart on Android side, or the ability to transfer the audio files from iTunes on my desktop to the phone? (not really ideal due to them being released every week)

Also using iPhone 6 and love it. The fingerprint reading home button is pretty handy so you dont have to put in a password to unlock every time and the form factor and weight are really nice.

I've always liked iOS for phones, Android for tablets. 

I love the hardware specs on the Galaxy series (srsly, 1440p phone? yisspls), but the issue is that I get pretty much all of my music intake via iTunes Podcasts (mostly Monstercat and ABGT). Is there any counterpart on Android side, or the ability to transfer the audio files from iTunes on my desktop to the phone? (not really ideal due to them being released every week)

Quick google search 'itune podcasts on android' has revealed some options.

You aren't going to find a phone that is mind blowing.

All phone upgrades are just re-styled phones with minor updates to processors, ram, software, and screen.

Of course the new Nexus 6p looks to be really good. https://www.google.com/nexus/6p/?utm_source=gstore&utm_medium=info&utm_campaign=nexus_6p

Nexus 6 will have the latest and greatest android software, has a fingerprint scanner, awesome battery with quick charge. etc. (the link has more info.)

I have the I6, is great, significantly better battery time than the predecessors (don't need to charge every day) and does everything very well

I agree. I went from the 4s the the 6 and it was a huge difference in performance and battery life.  If you like Apple stick with apple the 6s look good as well.  Just an Fyi get at least the 64 gb.  The other is too small.

You aren't going to find a phone that is mind blowing.

All phone upgrades are just re-styled phones with minor updates to processors, ram, software, and screen.

Of course the new Nexus 6p looks to be really good. https://www.google.com/nexus/6p/?utm_source=gstore&utm_medium=info&utm_campaign=nexus_6p

Nexus 6 will have the latest and greatest android software, has a fingerprint scanner, awesome battery with quick charge. etc. (the link has more info.)

I've heard kind of iffy things about the 810 processor, including massive thermal throttling issues.

I agree. I went from the 4s the the 6 and it was a huge difference in performance and battery life.  If you like Apple stick with apple the 6s look good as well.  Just an Fyi get at least the 64 gb.  The other is too small.

I have 0 use for 64gb. My music library is small, the only game I play on a regular basis is hearthstone. If I take a bunch of pics/video that I want to keep then I can just upload them onto my comp and delete the originals. $100 for more storage is dum.

Quick google search 'itune podcasts on android' has revealed some options.

810s are overheating more due to shit smartphone interior design than being really hot itself. afaik Sony uses some copper radiators inside z3/+, when in my lg g3 the chip basicaly barely touches anything. all the heat is transferred through pcbs.

but yeah i`d take 808/exynos everyday over 810.

also being water proof is a nice feature :serb:

810s are overheating more due to shit smartphone interior design than being really hot itself. afaik Sony uses some copper radiators inside z3/+, when in my lg g3 the chip basicaly barely touches anything. all the heat is transferred through pcbs.

Its this or poor optimization with the software and the battery.

If security is an issue for you: While apparently any device can be hacked, Android devices have in general a bad reputation regarding OS updates (which is why this happens: http://arstechnica.com/security/2015/10/university-of-cambridge-study-finds-87-of-android-devices-are-insecure/). iPhones get updates for much longer (e.g. iPhone 4S gets iOS9 and is 4 years old).

Fuck iphone. I have one and all I use it for now is an MP3 player.

Quality post, gr8 contribution.

If security is an issue for you: While apparently any device can be hacked, Android devices have in general a bad reputation regarding OS updates (which is why this happens: http://arstechnica.com/security/2015/10/university-of-cambridge-study-finds-87-of-android-devices-are-insecure/). iPhones get updates for much longer (e.g. iPhone 4S gets iOS9 and is 4 years old).

Security, not so much. I don't work off of my phone so it doesn't carry any sensitive data (besides email, but those are pretty much universal weak links). However, I do like the way Apple does release new OS versions for old phones. If I get a phone with Android 5.x (Lolipop), will I be able to upgrade to 6.0 (Marshmellow), or am I stuck with whatever I buy?

Security, not so much. I don't work off of my phone so it doesn't carry any sensitive data (besides email, but those are pretty much universal weak links). However, I do like the way Apple does release new OS versions for old phones. If I get a phone with Android 5.x (Lollipop), will I be able to upgrade to 6.0 (Marshmallow), or am I stuck with whatever I buy?

Nexus phones are guaranteed 2 years of OS updates. Other phone makes Samsung, LG, etc. have been getting better at releasing updates to their phones in a more timely manner, but its not guaranteed simply because these phone makers had bloatware to the OS. (all the features that Samsung puts on their phones takes a long time to optimize on their phone) and that goes for any android phone maker that isn't directly from google.

For the most part Android phones running 5.0+ should get an update to 6.0. My Nexus 6 should get an update any day now, while samsung users will have to wait a couple months for the reason I stated up above.

Edited by rojo180

Security, not so much. I don't work off of my phone so it doesn't carry any sensitive data (besides email, but those are pretty much universal weak links). However, I do like the way Apple does release new OS versions for old phones. If I get a phone with Android 5.x (Lolipop), will I be able to upgrade to 6.0 (Marshmellow), or am I stuck with whatever I buy?

Top models are quite likely to receive the upgrade. Google's Nexus devices are pretty upgrade-safe (go figure), it is mostly the mid- to low-priced devices that might not get the upgrade. It's a jungle out there. Even for the top devices it depends when they would receive their update.

if you buy highend android now, you should get 7.0 .

if not by official ways there is 100% probability that you will have support from XDA devs for like years. custom roms are in general more stable, faster, less battery draining moreover more customizable ( i.e in every stock android im lacking the possibility of configuring my volume button to ie changing music tracks)

So looking at lots of different phones and makers and what AT&T offers, looks like its down to the iPhone 6S+, Galaxy S6 edge+, or the LG G4. Upgrade opens up Nov 8th, o boi I'm hyped.

edit: I can look at spreadsheets of specs all day, but in reality it comes down to a user experience. Is there any place where people have done comparisons? (Even though both + models have only been out like a month) Even like some big youtube channel or w/e, I'd like to learn more.

Edited by PumpkinSpiceLuna

6S+ seems way too big, I have big hands (thankfully, piano player) and it still feels uncomfy for me. The regular one feels perfect tho (I've had both but they broke, 4th I6 coming my way since I got the first now :serb:)

mfw when Kolni thinks he has something big :serb:

6S+ is smaller than G3 which is pretty handy doe :doge:

S5 is life

^This

Luna ur focusing way too much on useless statistics when the galaxy S4-S6 already has the useless statistics you need.

Edited by BMPT_Terminator