arthurwellsley

Restricting Access to the C drive

I am about to receive a new family computer. It has a 500gb SSD drive and a 2 Tetrabyte HDD. It will have Windows 10 on the SSD. I will need to create 3 accounts for my kids, one for my wife, and a guest one, for the kid who comes home sometimes, so my main account and 5 others.

Can I limit the other 5 accounts to only downloading stuff onto the HDD, and keep them out of the SSD?

If limiting to the HDD how?

(I tried googling it and found use gpedit.msc and then use "Now navigate to User Configuration \ Administrative Templates \ Windows Components \ Windows Explorer. Then on the right side under Setting, double click on Prevent access to drives from My Computer." Is that the way to go about doing what I want to do?)

My son will want to download Steam onto his partition, and get his games, is there a way to lock Steam and his games into his HDD partition, and not have it running at start up all the time (in the past I have found Steam tries to get into all sorts of places).

I use Microsoft Office (which I have paid for), if I want to let the others use it, and limit them to the HDD drive, must I load Office onto the HDD only?

Setup different accounts they can log in with so that you are the administrator and they aren't.

Then you do something like this: http://www.softnuke.com/how-to-restrict-hard-drives-in-windows-7-for-user-accounts/

Edited by Fulcrous

Restricting HDD like that is great, just do a couple other things as well - 

For each user account you create, you're going to want to point their mydocs, downloads, and other windows folders to somewhere on the drive they have access to, otherwise they will get access denied error messages at each file download, or document save.... because their home directories will all be on the SSD by default (assuming your OS is going on the SSD).

Decent instructions can be found here - http://programmaticallyspeaking.com/changing-the-user-profile-path-in-windows-7.html

actually, adding on to this, can I prevent the C drive from having data installed to it without a password? My brother keeps installing games to my SSD and generally using up the space with shit despite me telling him not to, without running separate accounts can I just put a password lock on being able to put data onto the SSD?

actually, adding on to this, can I prevent the C drive from having data installed to it without a password? My brother keeps installing games to my SSD and generally using up the space with shit despite me telling him not to, without running separate accounts can I just put a password lock on being able to put data onto the SSD?

If you have Professional/Enterprise version of Windows you can set up BitLocker to lock up any drive you want.

http://www.howtogeek.com/192894/how-to-set-up-bitlocker-encryption-on-windows/