Psycodiver

Colorado

Just got it tonight, I free exp'd the B hull right off the bat along with the modules from the New Mexico. No doubt firing at max range is kinda derpy but close range is where this ship shines, it is a tank and the guns hit hard and gives no fucks about angling. I really need the engine upgrade next though

Bought the ship too yesterday. As usual I free xped everything except the C hull and only then started playing it.

I was a bit sceptical because of all the bad reports about the ship, but I must say I like it. After 12 games I sit at a solid (for me) 70K average damage.

Quite a good ship. If I could wish for something, it would be more guns...3 per turret would be nice. Else all is fine.

I think that's the issue everyone has, nearly every previous usn bb (except the South Carolina ) has at least 4 more guns than the Colorado and that's 4 more chances per salvo to hit something and it's something people don't account for

Edited by Psycodiver

I find that If you have good aim, going from 10-12 guns down to 8 doesn't matter as much since the 16 inchers on the Colorado have more pen, damage potential, and higher shell velocity (easier to aim). I also find the 5th or 6th turret on a ship to be gimmicky since you'd always have to show more broadsides than you'd like to get those extra turrets to line up anyways. Overall the Colorado isn't a bad ship and I think it's really the super slow speed that makes the ship a chore to play. Speaking of which, the engine upgrade is a must as 18 kts is way too slow for you to be useful.. 

I still like it. Now after 17 battles I sit at almost 76K average damage. Just finished a 140K game.

The guns are really good. Of course I can not win in it, but hey it is me talking, so kind of expected. I guess the recent buff made it a good ship and it sucked before.

I upgraded the engines but I'm having terrible team luck lately mixed with my own terrible plays, tier 8 and 9 games play differently than what I'm used to and I'm struggling with aim since the arcs are different from the NM and NY. I did have a fun game where it was me vs 2 NC where i scored 4 citadels against them before they killed me. The NM was easy to play coming from the NY, but the learning curve from going to the Colorado is different. 

Question about set up, I currently have C-hull but still the stock Gun Fire Control System, mainly because I have the GFCS Mod.1. Now that its my last upgrade before the grind to the NC I was curious about set up. I was thinking of dumping the Module once I upgrade the GFCS and going with AA Gun Mod. My thinking is range isn't that important with this ship (because accuracy sucks) and the boost in AA would be very nice considering I'm seeing T7-T9 CVs. Also I find myself in secondary ranges a lot so outside the beginning of the game and late in the game I rarely am fighting beyond 15km.

Here is my captain set up also; Basics of Survivablity, Fire Prevention, Superintendent, Advanced Firing Training. I'm kinda torn between Basic Firing Training and Expert Marksman for the next skill, this captain will be going to the NC and beyond

I will definitely stick with the range module. Accuracy is bad? Then I am having lots of luck, I do not have any problems hitting at max range. If they don't maneuver of course.

US BBs need the range module, they are at a disadvantage to the IJN even with the module. And the IJN are faster too, so tend to kite.

Personally I don't do that in my IJN BBs, I always go in. But most people these days tend to always run away and only fire at max range. Sad but true.

So the range module is a must, imho.

I actually never found the range module to be a necessity on the Colorado, the upgraded FCS gives you 17km of range which is enough for you to work with majority of the time. Sure you're out ranged by 20km shots from IJN and higher tier ships but shots at that range are pretty inaccurate and the shot range advantage can be quickly negated by using islands and landmass for cover. IJN BB also have more speed, but if they choose to stay ~20km away from you then you can bully the middle of the map, and take out all of his buddies/support. I generally find BBs that choose to snipe at max range to contribute very little to the team; they can be ignored and killed at the end when the rest of the team are gone. 

The B hull is workable for randoms and I would guess ranked, but the C hull on the Colorado makes it a very nasty AA platform and with the right captain skill and equipment choices you can easily wip out same or lower tier aircraft before they can drop anything. It's just a question of whether that's worth 1.9mil credits to you.

On 30/10/2015 16:38:40, ncc81701 said:

I generally find BBs that choose to snipe at max range to contribute very little to the team; they can be ignored and killed at the end when the rest of the team are gone. 

No doubt about that. I hate those BB players that constantly run away and let their team die for them, while constantly sniping without hitting much. BBs are not only for hard hitting,they are also for tanking. The cruisers can do a lot of damage if they do not have to tank too.

The Colorado is finally turning into a good battleship for me, although it does struggle in a mainly T8 matches or being bottom tier because of its speed, it just can't keep up with anything. Also for some reason carriers think I'm a easy target even though my AA rating is 77. Did I mention this ship is a AA beast? With a mix of Basic Firing Training, Advanced Firing Training, and AA Gun Mod 2 make for funny games, I've literally wiped out entire bomber squads without even realizing it, my best game had me getting 38 plane kills against IIRC a t6 and t7 cv that were focusing on me (had 2 cruisers helping me for a chunk of that match) The main guns are fantastic when their behaving themselves, I've had games where I missed nearly every shell at a BB 12-14km away and then I've had games where I scored multiple citadels on cruisers at max range using the spotter plane. Btw I do use the spotter plane, I know some people suggested using the fighter but I've had some rather good luck with the spotter and in those matches where I'm bottom tier it at least gives me the ability to get some shells out on targets. The armor is very usable also, I've defeated a few NCs and Amagis that have gotten in to close where I just point my bow at them, let them fire, I then swing the ass-end out enough to fire all the guns. Other than rage inducing slow speed I absolutely love this ship now. Cruisers are a absolute pain in this ship though, with all the AA and secondaries packed together around the superstructure with no armor protection makes it bleed HP and make your once glorious AA into nothing, I make it a point to focus fire on cruisers early on, the longer a cruiser lives the more dangerous it becomes to me.

I think the big issue people run into with this ship is its slow speed and with the advent of more matches where that speed is severely needed to keep up with the battle. I didn't find the guns to terrible, yes they can be trollish but very workable,  I think the problem people have is almost every USN BB has had at least 10 main guns up to this point, going from the New Mexico's 12 14" guns to the Colorado's 8 16" guns means you already lose 25% of the shells with the potential to hit another ship.

Pros:

Can take a absolute beating and keep coming, has excellent HP recovery and with Super Attendant it will keep you in the battle a long time

Armor when angled can withstand just about anything it sees

AA is shockingly good when built up, inexperienced T5 and T6 CVs thinking your a easy target will get a rude awakening

Guns are incredible when they behave themselves

Cons:

Guns are rage inducing when they misbehave

Its slow, very slow. Its manageable when your top tier or in a T8 match with only a couple T8 ships, but in a mostly T8 match or bottom tier, unless your on the side the lemming train goes you will be by yourself

Cruisers absolutely will pick you apart, they have the speed to dictate the fight and will stay at their max range while dodging your shells

I'll leave you all with results from a battle on Ocean where I was forced to fight at near max range most of the time, I forgot the screenshot the damage but it was just shy of 125k, I think 160 shells fired and my secondaries roughed up a pair of DDs that got to close

shot-15.11.30_22.40.44-0774_zpskfm0kjvw.

shot-15.11.30_22.40.47-0977_zpsvmkxmwk9.

11 hours ago, Psycodiver said:

The Colorado is finally turning into a good battleship for me, although it does struggle in a mainly T8 matches or being bottom tier because of its speed, it just can't keep up with anything. Also for some reason carriers think I'm a easy target even though my AA rating is 77. Did I mention this ship is a AA beast? With a mix of Basic Firing Training, Advanced Firing Training, and AA Gun Mod 2 make for funny games, I've literally wiped out entire bomber squads without even realizing it, my best game had me getting 38 plane kills against IIRC a t6 and t7 cv that were focusing on me (had 2 cruisers helping me for a chunk of that match)

I found this out the hard way on my ranger. It was quite a shocking experience at first since a lot of people do not get the C hull. Quick tip for any CV drivers, check the aft-super structure of the Colorado on whether it has a cage mass to tell whether it's a B  hull or a C hull. If it's a C hull, go for something easier to kill. 

Btw I do use the spotter plane, I know some people suggested using the fighter but I've had some rather good luck with the spotter and in those matches where I'm bottom tier it at least gives me the ability to get some shells out on targets. 

Very viable especially if you spec for AA with the increasing AA Range module instead of the increase range module. Use your spotter planes for the short period when you are closing in on the 10-15km comfort zone of the Colorado and then try your best to stay there. I only wish it had the speed to get you there and keep you there. I think if the Colorado top speed was ~25kts it would basically be a tier 7 Warspite and a much more enjoyable ship. 

I didn't find the guns to terrible, yes they can be trollish but very workable,  I think the problem people have is almost every USN BB has had at least 10 main guns up to this point, going from the New Mexico's 12 14" guns to the Colorado's 8 16" guns means you already lose 25% of the shells with the potential to hit another ship.

Not a problem for people that are proficient at aiming. In fact I like the 16" on the Colorado much more than the 14" on the NM since they hit much much harder when they do land. I think the Colorado suffers from its OBT pre-patch reputation and the fact that even after the buff it got it's still only a mediocre BB at best. I find myself enjoying the Colorado much more than I thought I would have but i'll be trading her in for a NC in a few days. At tier 7, the Nagato is the BB to keep. 

I'm not enjoying the Nagato as much, granted I only have the B hull. Overall its like the Colorado but better at everything (well except armor and AA). Its kinda the same situation I had with the NM and Fuso, I grinded both at the same time, did the same amount of battles and my statistics are nearly the same for both ships, nearly identical damage averages, win rates, and survival but I loved the NM way more than the Fuso

I feel like the Nagato was the ship that the Colorado should have been. She has a pretty similar kick to the Colorado, maybe not as tanky but she got the speed to get to where she is needed on the map. I think the lack of speed is what really gimps the Colorado since by tier 7, 21 kts is terribly slow. I also skipped out on the C hull for the Nagato, the small AA buff w/ the C hull didn't seem worth it. *shrug*  My avg damage on the Nagato is 10k more than the Colorado so I suppose the Nagato clicked for me more. I totally agree with you on the NM there.

Liking this more than Nagato. Accuracy seems considerable better than Nagato though numberwise differences are not big. With Nagato, shooting enemy cruisers long range can sometimes do shell splashes go all around enemy ship but none hits. So aiming lead and range were right but gun spread just prevented hits. With Colorado long range spread is often just soo much better that I miss because spread was too tight and little aiming error causes tight group of shoots splash just little too short of enemy hull whereas more spread would have caused at least couple hits.... Well these were extreme examples but still, guns feel lot more accurate than Nagato.

Colorado vs Nagato

+ Feels more agile, or at least guns rotate better so much easier to change hull angles and still keep firing, especially when going close enemies

+ Better armor

+ Really good AA, you know its good when enemy team carrier player tells about quitting game because carriers are useless :) With captain skill and AA module single Tier7 carrier plane groups tend to die almost before they can drop bombs. Though thinking about switching AA module to gun range module, carriers seems to be pretty rare nowadays.

- Much less health than Nagato

- Lot slower speed. Gotta try stay closer to middle of map, going edges probably leads spending half of game trying to get on fight

- Gun range lot shorter, cannot really kite/shoot like Nagato

Liking this more than Nagato. Accuracy seems considerable better than Nagato though numberwise differences are not big.

I feel like the Nagato/Amagi guns are the most accurate battleship guns in the game, so if anyone can compare the post-buff Colorado to them, they must have really buffed the hell out of that ship.

I feel like the Nagato/Amagi guns are the most accurate battleship guns in the game, so if anyone can compare the post-buff Colorado to them, they must have really buffed the hell out of that ship.

Did the Colorado accuracy even change at all? The only thing i remember was a RoF and turret traverse buff.

I think its because of the range of engagement, I find myself hanging back more in my Nagato because  I have the range and mixed with the accuracy module I can reliably hit most ships at max range. The Colorado I'm forced to be aggressive with which usually means I'm up around 10-13km alot of times if not closer, at that range the guns are fairly accurate since RNG is less of a factor at such close range. Of course as I said in a previous post it depends on this Colorado's attitude some games, some games the shells are laser guided while some games I couldn't hit a Yamato from .5km away, most times it runs somewhere in the middle.

That said the fact that I have to be aggressive is what makes this ship so much fun, I'm usually the last one into the battle so the enemy is already prefocused on other ships, and I just push right on through as my bow bounces shells, for the enemies that don't pay attention they get a huge shock when I citadel them because they were to busy not minding their surroundings, sometimes it works sometimes I fail but when it does work its usually the only fun I have in this game anymore because hitting ships at 20+km away while dodging their fire is hardly fun, I like brawling and I don't really care for the current T8+ sniping meta

Nah its not about range, colorado just feels naturally more accurate at all ranges . Even when using spotter plane to shoot at 16km+ spread is often pretty tight. Though randomness between salvos is great as always with bb's, wondering if ship angle affects spread (angled ship -> gun barrels more close each others or something).

Btw there is somewhere table of ingame spread numbers of US vs Japan BB's, at tier 7 Colorado has best spread number, at tier 8 Amagi had best numbers IRC. Cant wait to get Amagi... Differences are not big but then seems no-one really knows how accuracy works. Listed spread at tier 7: Colorado 211m, Nagato 231m but these are only for horizontal dispersions according to quoted post below, vertical numbers are hidden.

Some old reddit post:

------------------------------

Wow thanks for that link, really explains everything. BTW if anyone wants it translated properly, I can help out, I speak Russian.

TLDR:

Horizontal dispersion (which is the number you see in game at max range) was linear before patch, but not 0 at minimum range. After patch it is indeed piece-wise linear. At min range it was reduced greatly, to almost perfect. At some unspecified range N, the dispersion was reduced down to what the old min dispersion used to be. After that its linear to max dispersion at max range.

Interesting note: Vertical dispersion is not visible in the game but follows the same scaling rules. Min and max values are set for each ship. For some ships, at some specific range, the vertical dispersion can be even higher than horizontal.

EDIT: Another note: Shells are normally distributed within an ellipse that has the diameters of horizontal and vertical dispersion.

EDIT2: Modules that increase accuracy only decrease dispersion for max range.

Did the Colorado accuracy even change at all? The only thing i remember was a RoF and turret traverse buff.

When they made the change to accuracy below 3km, it had some minor affect at all other ranges.  People swore that it made a big difference for the Colorado, but you know how that goes.  I haven't repurchased it to try, as the Nagato fills my tier 7 battleship slot just fine.

The Colorado top guns have a higher sigma value (2.0) than every other US BB: The Wyomings and NM have 1.5, the rest have 1.8. I suspect this was buffed at the same time as the other params, but I don't have an older version of the file.

It looks like the range vs dispersion graphs also changed drastically at the same time as the zero-tapering was added, so even without the tapering, the dispersion of the US BBs dropped to 12m at 1km. The values displayed in-game appear to be based on the old dispersions.

What I haven't found so far is any clear evidence of separate horizontal and vertical dispersions, although there are some unknown parameters that vary between US and JP BBs.

Because it's been a while since I played around with distributions, that means the colorado has a wider, flatter shot distro right?

Should be higher sigma = more shots land near the centre. So for example, at 1.5 sigma, 54% of shots will land within half the dispersion radius, while at 2.0 sigma, 68% of shots will land within half the dispersion radius.

I now have a plausible theory for how the horizontal vs vertical dispersion works. In testing, shots at close range targets seem to have a relatively small vertical dispersion, while at longer range (or shooting at rocks), the proportion of vertical dispersion is higher, at around half of horizontal dispersion. In the data file, artillery modules have these values:

radiusOnMax = 0.6 (except JP BBs = 0.8)
radiusOnDelim = 0.5 (except JP BBs = 0.6)
radiusOnZero = 0.2
delim = 0.5

The theory is that these values are the ratios of max horizontal to vertical dispersion at different ranges: radiusOnMax is the ratio for maximum range, radiusOnDelim at "delim" range (always half) and radiusOnZero at zero range. The ratios would probably be scaled linearly for values in between, so 1/4 range would be a 0.35 or 0.4 ratio.

Secondary batteries have much higher values for radiusOnDelim (0.8) & radiusOnMax (1.0), which fits the evidence of very high vertical dispersion for secondary batteries.

Hey Richard Nixon, as part of your research have you found that the AP shell velocity is higher in the Colorado than the New Mexico or New York?  It sure feels that way. I have to use German Cruiser style lead on my guns or I fire far in front of the target.