Mesrith

German Cruisers Discussion

Anyone with experience care to break down the German cruisers?  I free XP'd the Konigsberg and am enjoying it so far, although I find it harder to carry a game in it than most battleships.

-Is the Nurnberg good at tier 6?  It looks to be essentially the same ship with a rate of fire buff.  Does it work well one tier higher?

-Is the Yorck as terrible as the official forums make it out to be, or is there a certain playstyle that makes it work?

-Hipper, Roon, and Hindenburg all seem good to great on paper.

Not sure, haven't gotten past KBerg yet.  Though I will say, it seems to kill ships very well.  It's got my highest kill rate by a large margin, but that's largely due to the low sample size.  

I've had some struggles against BBs.  I can dodge fire well enough, but the AP doesn't do much at certain ranges, and the HE seems unreliable for fire spam.  I hope the 203s later on in the line have enough punch to reliably damage BBs.

I've had some struggles against BBs.  I can dodge fire well enough, but the AP doesn't do much at certain ranges, and the HE seems unreliable for fire spam.  I hope the 203s later on in the line have enough punch to reliably damage BBs.

I agree.  I enjoy the AP against cruisers at any range, and I've gotten at least a few citadels on distracted Wyomings at 7km or less.  My issue is doing reliable damage to battleships at longer ranges.  The HE is really only worth using for the fire chance.  AP will get some deck penetrations on battleships at max range but I'll alternate 3k damage salvos with zero damage salvos.  I'm looking forward to the heavy cruisers.

I agree.  I enjoy the AP against cruisers at any range, and I've gotten at least a few citadels on distracted Wyomings at 7km or less.  My issue is doing reliable damage to battleships at longer ranges.  The HE is really only worth using for the fire chance.  AP will get some deck penetrations on battleships at max range but I'll alternate 3k damage salvos with zero damage salvos.  I'm looking forward to the heavy cruisers.

The usual weakpoints work well, fore and after ends and gun casemates. Additionally you can do a lot of damage by alternating your AP and HE salvoes (i.e, fire HE till you set a fire, switch to AP and then back to HE when they extinguish).

Yorck is terrible for:

-High, derpy arc

-Slow-ass turrets

-Paper armor

-Slow reload

Basically a worse Myoko in every possible category except AP dmg... if you can even land a hit with it.

Tier 8 is good if you avoid using HE (low shells/broadside and average reload time), Tier 9 is secondary city (kekekekekek) and tier 10 is a solid all-rounder.

Yorck is terrible for:

-High, derpy arc

-Slow-ass turrets

-Paper armor

-Slow reload

Basically a worse Myoko in every possible category except AP dmg... if you can even land a hit with it.

Tier 8 is good if you avoid using HE (low shells/broadside and average reload time), Tier 9 is secondary city (kekekekekek) and tier 10 is a solid all-rounder.

Worse than Myoko in every way? Uh...

It has better range than Myoko, is the velocity that much lower?

Myoko turrets are also very slow.

Myoko also has paper armor.

Myoko reloads slower

I haven't played it but this leaves me wondering, have you?

Worse than Myoko in every way? Uh...

It has better range than Myoko, is the velocity that much lower?

Myoko turrets are also very slow.

Myoko also has paper armor.

Myoko reloads slower

I haven't played it but this leaves me wondering, have you?

If you thought Myoko turned its turrets slow, you're in for a nasty surprise. Myoko may reload slower, but it gets more guns/broadside and with AP that doesn't fly up into the sky like American 5-inch guns (not much velocity as much as the arc is just so un-German that it breaks the feel of the line). Also, Myoko may seem to have paper armor but at least you don't have to worry about long-range BB AP actually citadelling through your deck because citadel roof armor is trash.

I've played it, and unless they changed something on the Yorck since the WoWsTestDrive account (some random event ~2-3 weeks ago for ST to drive German cruisers on live server), it's horrid. The only redeeming features are the high AP dmg output for derping at extremely close ranges and a decent torp broadside on both points.

If you thought Myoko turned its turrets slow, you're in for a nasty surprise. Myoko may reload slower, but it gets more guns/broadside and with AP that doesn't fly up into the sky like American 5-inch guns (not much velocity as much as the arc is just so un-German that it breaks the feel of the line). Also, Myoko may seem to have paper armor but at least you don't have to worry about long-range BB AP actually citadelling through your deck because citadel roof armor is trash.

I've played it, and unless they changed something on the Yorck since the WoWsTestDrive account (some random event ~2-3 weeks ago for ST to drive German cruisers on live server), it's horrid. The only redeeming features are the high AP dmg output for derping at extremely close ranges and a decent torp broadside on both points.

Do you recall the shell flight time at max range? I have been looking around but not seen it anywhere. Navweaps seems to show the velocity as being higher than the guns on the Japanese cruisers and I would be interested in seeing if this is at all reflected in game.

Do you recall the shell flight time at max range? I have been looking around but not seen it anywhere. Navweaps seems to show the velocity as being higher than the guns on the Japanese cruisers and I would be interested in seeing if this is at all reflected in game.

17.7 seconds with AP. HE I don't recall but it felt along the lines of ~15 seconds.

Compare to Myoko 8-inch AP which has 10.85 second shell travel at max range (16.8 km IIRC) with both AP/HE: only 1 km shorter than Yorck with greatly improved shell arc and shell velocity.

The main problem with those 210mm guns (lol same caliber as GWE-100) is that the shells seem to slow and float upwards into the air after the initial 4-5 second burst of speed, as if it just crashed through some invisible wedge that greatly reduced the speed of the shell and lifted it up into the air further. It really fucks with your aim if you're not careful of that quirk.

Edited by Flametz

Yeah the Yorck is the one that gets most of the bad press.  I may just skip it when the times comes, all these credits and free XP will be built back up by the time they release another battleship line that I'd been hoarding them for.

Are any good players at the Yorck yet?  I'm hesitant to skip it based on just early reviews, but if it's so bad that I'm going to hate every minute of it I'd like to figure that out before purchasing.

Loving the Nurnberg, I may keep the damn thing if I can convince myself to level another commander.

kejms5.jpg

After what was already a really good game, a New Mexico steamed back to save their cap from another ship while giving me his broadside at 6-7km.  The voice of Onboard whispered "slam some AP into his gun casemates", and several 5k salvos later I'd padded my way to a 159k damage game.

11 hours ago, Mesrith said:

Loving the Nurnberg, I may keep the damn thing if I can convince myself to level another commander.

kejms5.jpg

After what was already a really good game, a New Mexico steamed back to save their cap from another ship while giving me his broadside at 6-7km.  The voice of Onboard whispered "slam some AP into his gun casemates", and several 5k salvos later I'd padded my way to a 159k damage game.

Would you prefer to keep the Kberg or the Nurnberg?

25 minutes ago, OnboardG1 said:

Would you prefer to keep the Kberg or the Nurnberg?

The Nurnberg, but I already have the Kongo and Gremy as tier 5 keepers, while my tier 6 collection is in flux.  The Kberg recieves better matchmaking, but my Nurnberg has been top tier alot and it's really powerful when it is.

I'm going to give the Yorck a fair shot, at least 10 games, before deciding if I want to play it through or just move on to the Hipper.  So far the low-velocity, high-trajectory guns are giving me fits with a 16.40 second flight time at max range of 17km.

I played 12 games through the Yorck before using free XP to move on to the Hipper.  I somehow managed to win 10 of those games while managing only 40k damage per game and feeling like I was along for the ride more often than I truly influenced the outcome.  There are times that you can see the potential that the ship may have for someone who's a better cruiser player than I, but the beach-ball shell trajectory was too much for me to enjoy playing with.  Some of you who've ground all the way to the Des Moines might find it to be ok.

The turret traverse is obviously bad but the ship is very agile and actually bounced more 155mm cruiser shells than it probably should.  The rate of fire and that AP shell will shred any cruiser that gets within 9-10km and gives you a broadside.  The problem is it's Cleveland-esque shell trajectory that is a terrible fit for AP rounds that are falling at such a steep but non-plunging angle, and the HE rounds and fire chance can't compensate.  Even when I could land shots at 15km+, I found myself dealing much less damage than I had with the Konigsberg and Nurnberg at those same ranges.

EDIT:  This Hipper's shell travels 17km about 6 seconds faster.

A couple of replays if anyone's interested, just showing off the power of German AP:

Nurnberg 159k damage game:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/dn3pro2qj62ifdt/Nurnberg159.wowsreplay?dl=0&s=sl

Hipper gameplay, nothing special:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/8erja3r05lzjapf/Hipper1.wowsreplay?dl=0&s=sl

I'm still getting the hang of cruisers, don't judge me too harshly.  On the Nurnberg game I ran smooth into an island because I was gleefully spamming AP into the side of a New Mexico that was ignoring me.