Mesrith

German Cruisers Discussion

On 10/31/2015, 11:31:01, TouchFluffyTail said:
Another thing to think about is the Nurnberg doesn't have to deal with the odd turret layout from the Konigsberg.

It has the same turret layout, at least on the A-hull.

4 hours ago, Jarkorsis said:

It has the same turret layout, at least on the A-hull.

Look again. Nurnberg turrets are all on the centerline, instead of offset like the k-berg. You won't have to deal with your rear turrets ever turning in different directions when you point your guns forward on the Nurnberg.

I've tried that line yesterday. Free 'Xped to the Koenigsberg and it is a fun little ship!

The AP shell is incredibly effective. I had a 95K dmg game using only AP against all targets (except DDs)! More effective against BBs than HE.

This ship is great.

I've noticed the odd turret behavior but it wasn't an inconvenient in battle.

The only downside to this ship is the engine and steering (non) resistance to HE... I think last stand is a good skill for this cruiser. Can't wait to see what's next on the line.

really like the Hipper.

2jg2owp.jpg

25ez1u8.jpg

165k damage, 7 kill game including a citadel on a North Carolina at 11km.  I love this ship tree and the power of it's AP.  I suspect I'm going to be playing the Hindenberg alot once I get it.

4 hours ago, Mesrith said:

really like the Hipper.

2jg2owp.jpg

165k damage, 7 kill game including a citadel on a North Carolina at 11km.  I love this ship tree and the power of it's AP.  I suspect I'm going to be playing the Hindenberg alot once I get it.

Got your AP/HE breakdown for that?

7 hours ago, OnboardG1 said:

Got your AP/HE breakdown for that?

The only HE I fired was at two destroyers, with 35 hits (the 5 fires only did 5k damage).  AP does well against destroyers but since fire increases visibility I find it worthwhile, not to mention wrecking engines, steering, etc.  I edited the damage screen into the other post.

Honestly I'm not feeling it with the Nurnburg. AP pens cruisers as easily as ever, but tier 6 is full of Clevelands which have microscopic citadels. Against battleships it won't pen unless it comes down to a 7.5km- broadside engagement. On the other hand the ship gets one or two salvoed if a BB at long range so much as sneezes at it, even when pointing dead on/extremely heavily angled.

2 hours ago, M4A3E8sherman said:

Honestly I'm not feeling it with the Nurnburg. AP pens cruisers as easily as ever, but tier 6 is full of Clevelands which have microscopic citadels. Against battleships it won't pen unless it comes down to a 7.5km- broadside engagement. On the other hand the ship gets one or two salvoed if a BB at long range so much as sneezes at it, even when pointing dead on/extremely heavily angled.

Clevelands are literally the best target you could ever hope to shoot at in the Nurnberg. One of the rules of AP is not to obsess over citadel hits. The Cleveland has enough armor to fuse every shell that you slap into it almost anywhere on its gigantic freeboard, and it's so long that AP through the superstructure will fuse as well from any angle shallower than 30 degrees. Just keep burning its HP down with semi-pens (which are big damage in the Nurnberg because of the high base damage of the AP shells). 

Japanese battleships are tougher than US battleships when facing your AP because they're smaller and their armor sections are larger. All the other nations have ships with big freeboards that you can push AP through. The Warspite and Tirpirz are a bit tougher because they haven't got an all-or-nothing armoring scheme, but you can drive shells through the bow and stern without too much drama. US standard BBs are easy to pen from their broadside by firing at the secondary battery casemates above the belt, although angled you'll need to either go for the superstructure or fire HE.

15 minutes ago, M4A3E8sherman said:

Duly noted.

I was thinking the Omaha or Furutaka given their propensity to die within about 15 seconds after being fired upon.

Ah, but the salt ofCaptain Shitter in his supposedly OP ship of doom is priceless.

Nurnberg is working pretty well now, ty for advice.

Japanese battleships can be damaged with bow hits, though that's trickier to pull off consistently at range. 

Honestly I'd still rather fight an Aoba than a Cleveland. The easier citadels are nice.

On to the Roon, looking forward to it.  I should have ended with a better record on the Hipper, but I still have a problem in cruisers of over-exposing myself and not always being as cautious as I should.  If I can cut down on the amount of games where I derp out and contribute little (or at least, not enough) I'll be better off.

EDIT:  Ugh, first tier 9 cruiser for me, and I hate that gun range and gun reload share a modification slot.  This thing would be a monster with the faster reload, but getting to a 20km range feels necessary in the world of Iowas and Yamatos.

Just bought the Yorck, and free XP'd the first hull.

OH MY GOD! This has to be the worst tier 7 in the game!

Derpy firing arc and really slow turret traverse. How do you play this thing effectively?

Derpy firing arc and really slow turret traverse. How do you play this thing effectively?

Cant be as bad as the Pensacola...

Free XP. Or wait for it to get buffed (it's sucking so bad it'll definitely get a buff).

Free XP. Or wait for it to get buffed (it's sucking so bad it'll definitely get a buff).

I'm not sure. It's not coming out any worse than the Pensacola on my data. Maybe people are hitting stuff with the torps occasionally.