Mesrith

German Cruisers Discussion

I've had quite a few random, or at least inconsistent, long-range citadels against battleships with the German cruisers.  I'm unsure if it's issues with exposed hitboxes, shells hitting something and being deflected down through the deck, or some other reason, but I've never done it in my Atago.  I'm talking 10-14km AP shots.

The Montana's citadel is exposed well outside the ship near the B turret, but I suspect there's a rule that a shell has to penetrate some armour to deal hp damage, regardless of which hitbox it detonates inside.

There are all sorts of ways that you could get a freak citadel while maintaining the armour penetration rule. My favourite for the Montana is that a plunging shell could travel a few metres through water, enter the ship through the top of the 25mm torpedo bulkhead and then hit the bottom of the citadel (exposed outside citadel armour due to hitbox vs armour shape mismatch). That one fits the video given that the shot was central, long range and had some water hits.

So team Wotlabs - I have finally ground through the Yorck, and have the Hipper with free xp to the B hull.  The reload and shell arc are glorious and much more reminiscent of the Nurnberg.  I would just like to ask you guys about equipment and commander skills.  So far, I have used a standard cruiser layout for the Captain ( AFT at tier 4 ) with my second equipment slot being the AA module ( 72 rating for AA ).  My question is which module to use for the fifth slot - Detection or Camo module?  The good Hydro will be enhanced if I buy the detection module, but is it better to go for the enhanced Camo instead?  In a related note, should I respec for Vigilance to further enhance the Detection module + Hydro combo?

I am not married to anything at this point, but I know a few of you have made it up to the Hindenburg, and I am interested in what works not just for the Hipper, but for the tier 9/10 as well.

I guess the Hipper could use AA range, but I preferred accuracy.  Especially when you're hoping to get citadels at long range, having a tighter pattern can help.  AA definitely isn't needed on the Roon or Hindenberg; both have very good AA, although there have been rumblings about nerfs in the future.

I'm a huge believer in concealment, even on the German cruisers.  My Hindenberg can only get down to 12.3km maximum stealth, but that's good enough to disengage from most battleships or get into slaughtering range of other cruisers.  Catching a poorly angled cruiser by surprise with German AP is always fantastic.  I use the reload mod at tiers 9 and 10 since the stock range is nearly 18km.  I suppose if you go with range mod instead of reload, concealment mod may be less important and TASM1 would be the choice.

On 5/16/2016 at 6:19 PM, UglyBigD said:

Almost done grinding out the Karlsruhe, and I've enjoyed it mildly. What should I expect as I move up to the Konigsberg?

Kongisberg and Nurnberg play almost identically, they are swift and fragile ( you must have the "last stand" skill that lets you keep moving when you lose your engines, because it will happen frequently.)  They have flat arc machine gun with deadly 6" guns that are decidedly better with AP, you can pen the bow and stern sections of BB's and citadel cruisers at will.  The real reason people complain about the Yorck so much isn't because it's bad  - but because it's simply not as good as the tier 5 and 6 comparatively.  Also you lose the lovely flat laser arcs of the 6" guns because the Yorck's 8" guns are reminiscent of the Cleveland ....

Not to worry, the 8" guns from the Hipper on up are all flat firing with great AP pen.  You get the same brand of torpedo from the tier 5 through the tier 10, same speed (64kt) and damage  with a defensive 6K range.  As you get higher up, you just get a bunch more of them - the Hipper has 4 triple launchers with nice firing arcs - they are useful for heroics and distracted enemies. The Roon gets 2 x 4 and the Hindenburg gets 4 x 4 - I use them a lot on tight maps with lots of cap zones.

The Hipper is a sadistic DD hunter, even though the damage done by German HE is much lower than say a Jap cruiser, the accuracy and short flight times make it easier to kill fleeing subs - German Hydro is useful in that as well.

On a sad note - the Detection Module does not appear to increase my Hydro range - at least it does not show it when I mouse over the consumable.  I need to see if there is any info on the main forums regarding this.  If it doesn't help, I will mount the concealment equipment instead.  Just a few matches in the Hipper so far, and I really like the guns.

Yesterday I finally bought the Yorck (Nürnberg was finished months ago), as I decided I don't want a Des Moines and especially not suffer through the Baltimore.

I thought the Yorck might be a bit underwhelming and then it will get better. But...the Yorck is great! I enjoy it even more than the Nürnberg and Königsberg. Good guns, good distance, even a little bit of armor. I am doing well, even in the A hull.

Why did I ever play Pensacola and New Orleans? German cruisers all the way, can recommend :)

Someone halp me with the tier4 German Karlsruhe.... It doesnt have a lot of alpha, turns like a pig, even had a time where my steering died even though the shots splashed around me.  I've heard great things about the konigsberg, so I'm trying to tough it out.

16 hours ago, PrinzEugen478 said:

Someone halp me with the tier4 German Karlsruhe.... It doesnt have a lot of alpha, turns like a pig, even had a time where my steering died even though the shots splashed around me.  I've heard great things about the konigsberg, so I'm trying to tough it out.

Played 4 games then free xp ed it. But that was before the buff. The Königsberg is good, the Nürnberg is ok and fun, the Yorck is great and it gets better from there.

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 9:51 PM, PrinzEugen478 said:

Oddly enough I had great luck with the Karl. Not saying it's a good ship, but it does get underestimated a bit. I played it a lot like a destroyer ambushing people with torpedoes by island hugging and using my weak ass guns against DDs. Got enough experience in 14 games to move on to the Konigsberg so it's not a very long grind really. Good luck!

On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 1:52 PM, PrivateBert said:

the Yorck is great and it gets better from there.

Dat shell flight time though. "Let me make some coffee and come back in time for the impact." It's like the Germans are throwing the projectiles by hand.

IMG_0460.JPG

31 minutes ago, TouchFluffyTail said:

Use HE at range, save AP for anyone that gets close.

True. But it's still a quite an adjustment from the Konigsberg and Nurnberg.

P.S. Yorck shell arc can allow you to abuse terrain and hit other ships with no risk of return fire so there's that.

2 minutes ago, Rodrigopine said:

True. But it's still a quite an adjustment from the Konigsberg and Nurnberg.

It reverts back to normal after the Yorck.  AP will be the shell of choice for most ranges and angles for the Hipper and up.

If the Konigsberg is anything to go by, German ships are wicked. I'm sure it's just me stomping potatoes but I am having some great games in mine. Agile, flat high velocity guns with triple barrel turrets is glorious.

In fact I just got my first ever Kraken with it! Tier 5 game admittedly :D

3 hours ago, Jarkorsis said:

Hipper torp arcs are great for foolish BB captains. I have killed 2 NC's by sneaking up behind an island and torping them . A quick wiggle and you can shoot 12 torps into them.

You said it, no one is prepared for the short range wall of torps because you don't see many Hippers compared to the other nations tier 8's.

On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 3:57 PM, Pocktio said:

How is the nerberg? If it's an upgraded Kekberg I'm sure it'll be fine. 

What exactly does it get better?

I'm sure there are actual stat differences but from a 'feel' POV they play almost identically as far as I can tell.

On 7/16/2016 at 3:57 PM, Pocktio said:

How is the nerberg? If it's an upgraded Kekberg I'm sure it'll be fine. 

What exactly does it get better?

Aside from stat changes they are pretty much the same ship. Nurnberg have faster reloads and turret traverse speed but trade off a bit of manuverability. Pre-5.8 I thought the Nurnberg is a slight upgrade in general since you no longer have the asymmetric/offset mount for the aft turrets, but now it might actually be a downgrade since Konigsberg aft turrets have 360 rotation but nurnberg doesn't. Either way, both are pretty good ships for their tier.