Mesrith

German Cruisers Discussion

5 hours ago, Yurra said:

Pls halp, how do I Konigsberg?

K-Berg is a good ship in a normal meta.  It's probably a bad time to play it with this many mid-tier battleships around.

Hmmm the more I play the Yorck the more I dislike it. 

I like how agile it is, I like the speed. I like the small size. I like the calibre of the guns. 

I don't like having only 6 guns, I don't like the fact I'm FORCED to fire HE yet the HE round is pure garbage (Myoko is infinitely better), I don't like the fact AP is unuseable in most situations. I don't like the fact that some tier 6 cruisers are better (tried chasing down a Cleveland...mistake). 

It just screams average. 

Sorry, typo. 

I'm sure the AP is great but closing the distance in the current meta is suicide. It just seems counter-intuitive also, that the HE is the most useable round but is also the least effective. Tricksy wargaming!

That said, I OHK a Tirpitz with a full spread of torps. Glorious.

The Yorck AP is not fine. It's situationally useful at best and a liability at worst, when you think you're in a position to use it and it proves unreliable. The only good thing about it is that it doesn't overpen that much.

I've only had it a few days, but I'm enjoying the Yorck so far.  It's nothing spectacular but it is very comfortable.  It's somewhat comparable to the Pensacola, yet somehow I'm doing a whole lot less sphincter clenching while at the helm.

3 hours ago, Das_Schlippo said:

I've only had it a few days, but I'm enjoying the Yorck so far.  It's nothing spectacular but it is very comfortable.  It's somewhat comparable to the Pensacola, yet somehow I'm doing a whole lot less sphincter clenching while at the helm.

The difference in the lines is small between the Yorck and the Pensacola, the tier 8's however are a completely different story.  The Hipper is superior to the New Orleans in every useful way - at least for the average or slightly above average player.

2 minutes ago, BiggieD61 said:

The Hipper is superior to the New Orleans in every useful way - at least for the average or slightly above average player.

I abandoned the US line after researching the Nawlins.  I have zero desire to play that ship and you'd have to divide by zero to describe my lack of impetus to play the Baltimore.

Woooooooooo Admiral Hipper unlocked!

Any recommendations for tier 4 skill? I would wager DE is pointless, SE maaaybe but AFT seems solid?

Just now, Pocktio said:

Woooooooooo Admiral Hipper unlocked!

Any recommendations for tier 4 skill? I would wager DE is pointless, SE maaaybe but AFT seems solid?

not liking the Hipper that much, but after the HE buff i went DE... also, fighting tier X, you use HE more often, so i find it a better use.

46 minutes ago, TouchFluffyTail said:

AFT and Manual AA are the only real choices.

AFT is the only choice.  The strength of German cruiser AA is the short and medium-range rings, and Manual AA only buffs the "meh" outer ring.

9 minutes ago, TouchFluffyTail said:

Now that I've checked my Hipper, when'd they change the AA around? Last I played it the AA was non-existent aside from the 105s.

Oh, probably back in the sweeping AA patch that they had months ago.  That would be patch 5.6 from May.

http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/80610-056-patchnotes-and-downtime/

Reworked AA circles to make more sense of them.  Mid-range AA was generally buffed, while low-range stuff fell off a bit (which really hit IJN 25mm pretty hard).

Grinding the Yorck has given me such valuable experience for the Indianapolis. I'd say they're very similar, if you like that style of play. 

It's basically dropping the torps in exchange for better AA, radar and more useable forward gunnery with a brilliant AP round. Favourite premium for me perhaps now....

Edit: Hipper acquired. Seems stronk 

XoSIjuS.jpg

So I'm pretty close to rage selling the Admiral Hipper. For the life of me I can't seem to get this thing to perform. I heard all the horror stories about the Yorck, but I didn't really mind it all that much once I got the hang of the shell arcs. But this thing just feels like a useless pig that can't dodge TBs or DBs. plus it seems to get easily 'balanced' by enemy BBs. Meanwhile the HE feels like a fucking joke and the only time AP works is if team red is kind enough to flash you their sides.

So I have to ask, is the Roon and Hindenberg worth this grind? So far the highpoint of the line for me is the Nurnberg. I know she's super fragile but the ROF, range, accuracy and agility make it a joy to drive. Does the 'fun factor' return in any form or should I just quit the line now?

So, I finally have the Roon - and the choices for modules are a little overwhelming.  I would think that CE would still be better for a cruiser than the extra 40% turn mod in the #6 slot - has anyone any opinion on that? 

What I am thinking initially:

Slot 1: Main Arm Mod 1

Slot 2: Aiming Sys Mod 1 ( though the AA Mod 2 will bring my AA up to 87 value and extend range to 6.5 km )

Slot 3: Main Bat Mod 3 ( drop reload to under 9 secs - increase turret rotation to 23 secs )

Slot 4: Damage Control Sys 1

Slot 5: Steering Gears Mod 2

Slot 6: Concealment Expert (11.1 km range ) or Steering gears 3 ( combined with SG2 drops rudder shift from 11.6 to 4.5 secs )

I know a few of you have already gotten the Roon and Hindenburg, so I am interested in what you think works best for this ship.

I tried SG2 and it made a difference, but not as much as I thought. You still have a giant turning circle, so concealment is very good since you can disengage at least at range. I think I currently have SG2, but I am giving serious thought to going back to concealment.

From extensive reading, Roon gets really good concealment firepower, so I'd go for the concealment module. 

Did they nerf the dick off the Hindenburg while I wasn't paying attention? I hadn't played it for a while and now it can't cit anything. Used to be able to cit Yamato's broadside. Now it can't even cit other Hindenburg's. Or I am so shit that I can 2 salvo a Kutuzov with a Kutuzov reliably but can't find a German glass cannon cit.