The_Illusi0nist

Why you should get camo

When I play with a bunch of people they ask me why I put camouflage on all of my tanks...  Obviously is so they're harder to see, especially on my lights, TD's and my one SPG.  However they always tell me is just so darn expensive to put on.  What many people dont realize is how quickly a camo investment repays itself.  For example, For my tier 5, M10 Wolverine, camo of any type for 30 days cost 50,000 credits.  As I was typing this post (probably shouldn't have been multi-tasking), I was in a match on Fisherman's Bay.  I only got one shot off (94 dmg on a shot to a T29 where the tracks ate most of it), but at the end I received almost 5,000 credits. According to this, it would only take me ten days to make up the costs... as opposed to a +20,000 where I only need three games. 

Now lets talk about how painted camo works. One factor when calculating spotting range is the camouflage factor of the vehicle to be spotted. The higher the target's camouflage factor, the shorter the spotting range. Camouflage will change the appearance of your vehicle and will give a slight bonus in camo value. There are three types of camouflages: summer, winter and desert, which are used on maps matching the camo type. Within each type you have a choice of several options depending on the nation of the vehicle.  Unless you only have tiers 1-3, its pretty much a good idea to invest in all three patterns.  Plus it doesn't cost an equipment slot!

So my point is: Invest in camouflage.  Because even if you're not highly skilled, it can still make a major impact on your gameplay.

Why would you buy camo when it's not on sale.

Reciving credits after a battle insn't repaying for the camo in the way you explain it. Camo repays for itself slowly when you are able to avoid getting shot/get shots on people when you camo paint bonus keeps you hidden.

Edited by Goldflag

Camo paint adds to the existing camouflage / (in-)visibility of the tank. In a Japanese heavy for example or a tog^2 it adds (currently) 5% to nearly nothing. 

Also camo is rumored to change in patch 10.0 because F**** paying players... but you get to use tears as lube.

Camo paint adds to the existing camouflage / (in-)visibility of the tank. In a Japanese heavy for example or a tog^2 it adds (currently) 5% to nearly nothing. 

Also camo is rumored to change in patch 10.0 because F**** paying players... but you get to use tears as lube.

It is a additive 2% bonus for heavies (and arty) (both when moving and standing still).

3% for Lights and Meds

4% for TDs.

And that isn´t going to change next patch.

It also looks cool :-)

This.  The bonus really isn't worth worrying about.  I put gold camo on my premiums and other tanks that are keepers just so they are cooler looking.  And I almost always wait for the half price sales to buy it.  The emblems and such really don't stand out enough to make your tank look better, so meh. 

I only really believe camo bails you out on mistakes you make in theory. The repair skill for example is something you will need because of regardless of how you move/how safe you are, you will take crits that can and most likely will destroy your gameplay no matter how you do. 

However camo only really gives you the advantage of camosniping at a closer distance, which is close to useless in something with decent base camo anyway (that you actually train the skill on) once you go over the necessary things in your head like 

• Meter distance? Over 450? Then I literally can't be spotted regardless so fire away
  • Am I bushed up properly? (15m behind it) Yes? Take the highest VR possible in the game including piercing against your bush + eventual camo to know if he even has a chance of spotting you
  • Several bushes in between? Then it usually doesn't matter how much VR he's got, because he won't spot you until 100m (if you fire) or in best case only at proxy (50m)

These things are pretty easily done even without the camo skill, which is why I don't use camo until my third skill on meds anymore (Rep+Sixth/BiA/Camo) and the only thing camo really does is bail you out from taking shots that aren't safe but that you took anyway. Which is great! But it isn't as important as other things out there. 

Speaking economically, camo is an odd one. In high tier vehicles, it doesn't really matter how efficient you are with buying it. Whether you go 7 day, 30 day, gold camo, on sale, or off sale, it's not going to pay for itself. Especially if you aren't a TD. I'd say it only impacts one match out of fifty - you can imagine how long that'd take to recoup a 50-100k credit investment.

In lower tiers it's much more wallet friendly. Not only is the camo cheaper, but it's much more common of an occurrence for it to impact a match. You dont need to rely on 300m+ range engagements for your camo to come into play.

Of course, there's very good reasons to buy camo even if you aren't going to make your money back.

Speaking economically, camo is an odd one. In high tier vehicles, it doesn't really matter how efficient you are with buying it. Whether you go 7 day, 30 day, gold camo, on sale, or off sale, it's not going to pay for itself. Especially if you aren't a TD. I'd say it only impacts one match out of fifty - you can imagine how long that'd take to recoup a 50-100k credit investment.

In lower tiers it's much more wallet friendly. Not only is the camo cheaper, but it's much more common of an occurrence for it to impact a match. You dont need to rely on 300m+ range engagements for your camo to come into play.

Of course, there's very good reasons to buy camo even if you aren't going to make your money back.

My E4 got some spooky ass camo mission with camoflauge :serb:

I don't use Camo in order to stay dark when firing, unless im in a position where I can. I mainly use it in order to get into a forward bush to spot the enemy before they can spot me. in that situation I can get a free shot in before they spot me and I get shot back at. its also useful in situations where you need to push through areas that are liable to get spotted, on the move at longer ranges the camo can help you stay dark when crossing a firing lane (like Mountain pass going past the bowl from south spawn) or can keep you dark just that little bit longer when you need to push into an area through the open (like pushing into north spawn on highway when you know there are TDs there)

as a medium player, that is what I consider the value in camo to be, rather than using it to stay dark, I use it to create opportunities for me which give me more time to get into position before being shot at