Nalok

State of the game

My gaming was always like play one game a lot and for long. And (almost) nothing else.

I started with text based muds, where I played one for 4 years. Then came some years of Starcraft, followed by many many years in CounterStrike.

Then several years in EVE. My EvE only died because -A- died (still sad).

WoT hat the potential to be my next one game for many more years to come. I was late to the party and still played over 20K games.

But they (wargaming) killed it for me, just thinking about logging in gives me the creeps. Lucky for them, the replacement seems to be WoWS.

I almost quit that too after 400 games (had 36% win rate), but as it looks now, I won't. Maybe they got a brain...

WoT? Probably never again.

You can't even compare this game to EVE it's like trying to compare the game Candy Land to Chess, the depth of EVE is infinitely more complex than tenks because CCP left much of the end game content up to the players to create. It took me over 6 months in a training corp to be accepted into Snigg (Pandemic Legion) and I even met with the founders IRL to get drunk and earn their trust. The amount of work and practice and meta gaming that went into preparing for an Alliance tournament (PL 5 time AT champs w00t)  is mind blowing compared to how much effort we put into Champions League. There just isn't that level of try hard or trust in this game as far as I've seen. Even in top clans people don't trust each other in fights, I see time and time again the simple call of "push" leading to 1 or 2 people pushing while the rest hang back to farm damage. Full hp duders hiding or retreating behind 1 shots, rockstars trying to solo carry when all that's needed is a nice coordinated push to end a fight quickly and decisively. If you fucked up in a major fight in EVE more than a few times you would be kicked, people were held accountable and when you got into deep shit (fighting 100 v 500 pubbies) you could count on your mates to have your back because they all went through the same process to guarantee they actually know what they're doing. Being good at pubs doesn't make you a talented competitive player at all, I'd even go so far to say the skill set developed in pubs is cancerous to team play. It's more a symptom of the game than of the player base.

TL;DR: Tenks lacks depth, EVE is probably the best MMO ever.

18 hours ago, DrJ_Zoidberg said:

The game doesn't have much depth, that's all it is imo. Once you hit a certain point there's not really much room to grow as a player other than higher and higher dpg/wr numbers which tend to make people anxious about even clicking battle and frustrated when some dumb pubbie hits the lottery on them. It's like that garbad quote, the games about shooting pubbies and if that ever becomes not fun for you then just play something else and stop worrying about it, you won't miss out on a pro career and when this game dies nobody will give a fuck about your stats.

Totally this, the problem is that the learning curve gets pretty flat after some time - which in itself wouldn't be a problem - but then RNG hits you with a sledge you cannot escape. Yes, you can learn to minimize the role of RNG but eventually, all skill in the world won't prevent you from occasionally rolling for 320 with your standard 105mm cannon, for getting nailed by a CGC, for having your AP shell ricochet off some stupid slope on the arty you would like to kill and which proceeds to shotgun you instead.

For many of us, the sheer tank variety meant that we sticked around but eventually we all run out of grinds we want and then we are stuck with a bunch of one-dimensional tanks. There are almost no controversies left with regard to equipment and skills - unlike in a game like GW2 or other MMOs where there are dozens of ways to set up a hero for semi-competitive endgame fun, in WoT there is basically only one set of skills you'd take on your E100 and no alternative. That gets stale.

56 minutes ago, OOPMan said:

EVE is deep but the longer you hold of playing the further behind you are. At this point starting EVE is like jumping into a pool of sharks.

It was always like that, and it never was a problem and still isn't.

I had no problem becoming competitive in a rather short time. You can have perfect frigate skills very fast, even battleships do not take forever.

Yes, veterans have a lot of skillpoints, but distributed across the board. As a beginner you focus on one class and you be useful in a fleet in no time.

31 minutes ago, PrivateBert said:

It was always like that, and it never was a problem and still isn't.

I had no problem becoming competitive in a rather short time. You can have perfect frigate skills very fast, even battleships do not take forever.

Yes, veterans have a lot of skillpoints, but distributed across the board. As a beginner you focus on one class and you be useful in a fleet in no time.

I suppose. I never really got into it :-)

13 hours ago, DrJ_Zoidberg said:

There just isn't that level of try hard or trust in this game as far as I've seen. Even in top clans people don't trust each other in fights, I see time and time again the simple call of "push" leading to 1 or 2 people pushing while the rest hang back to farm damage. Full hp duders hiding or retreating behind 1 shots, rockstars trying to solo carry when all that's needed is a nice coordinated push to end a fight quickly and decisively. If you fucked up in a major fight in EVE more than a few times you would be kicked, people were held accountable and when you got into deep shit (fighting 100 v 500 pubbies) you could count on your mates to have your back because they all went through the same process to guarantee they actually know what they're doing. Being good at pubs doesn't make you a talented competitive player at all, I'd even go so far to say the skill set developed in pubs is cancerous to team play. It's more a symptom of the game than of the player base.

TL;DR: Tenks lacks depth, EVE is probably the best MMO ever.

Helps that in eve you have such a centralized view of the field of battle, with the combat being slow and without much micro.  You're easily aware of your allies around you and your specific job.  Also, a FC can run 4+ accounts simultaneously without losing much efficiency, sometimes many more as I'm sure you know, where as in WoT running more than 1 account fucks your team entirely.  By the way, fucking up in WoT will also get you kicked, though maybe not in animu clans.

ps RIP Kugu

4mlWp9w.gif

Should just change the thread title to "Lets talk spreadsheets".

I did play EVE like 5+ years ago, but only because I'm a fan of space.
Back then I wasn't really interested in mass-organized play, and only had some runs with 3-4 mates.
How much as changed?

9 hours ago, Orrie said:

Should just change the thread title to "Lets talk spreadsheets".

I did play EVE like 5+ years ago, but only because I'm a fan of space.
Back then I wasn't really interested in mass-organized play, and only had some runs with 3-4 mates.
How much as changed?

Quiet a few of us unsubbed due to bitterness and realising that posting > logging in.

16 hours ago, Birkovic said:

Out of curiosity, what is Shamis and that bunch like IRL?

Shamis is everything you could hope and dream for, we went bar hopping in Philadelphia with a bunch of other PL olde gaurd, he's lean from years of rock climbing and has a manly beard and drinks like a fiend, we took turns buying each other drinks and it quickly devolved from beer to whiskey to tequila, I ended up passed out on some dudes floor and he ended up falling asleep on his train home and didn't wake up till end of the line and had to find a cab at 3am to drive him back to the stop where his car was parked, epic night.

I haven't noticed much in terms of actual players going down.  But I have noticed the amount of super unicum platoons farming noobs has gone down.

And then when I got to AW I saw where a lot went LOL

Never really had interest in ClanWars so any changes made that screw over the gold earning potential of some super top clan doesn't affect me.  Might join a clan at some point for some skirmishes though.

Hey maybe I can get some 3 MoE now that I don't have an APCR slinging unicum platoon to compete with.

Please god someone somehow save CW. I've been grinding for 3 years specifically to play T10 CW. :(

If I ever give up on Tanks, it will probably be the end of my video gaming. I'm one of those people that only plays a single game at a time, for years at a time, and I doubt I could start a new game at this point. I'm supposed to become a responsible adult someday. I guess WG wants to make that sooner rather than later though.

Hi, EU player since 2011 here,

I am out for almost 2 months. During my last days, after midnight the waiting times were longer which means the number of players decreased. Yet when i last check EU numbers they were still high (around 140k for 2 servers). This suggests that dedicated players have left while average mass players are still keeping a high level.

Whatever; this game was good and fun enough to grab a good time of my late 20es, a few thousand Liras, some level of sanity (angry german kid anyone?)

I still cannot say I left completely (sunk cost fallacy) yet I do not have any urge to play (Chieftain flop). The negativites associated with the game overweight positives for my taste:

- Tunnel-brawling meta, power creep, no compensation for an heroic defeat, insane requirements for missions that need high level of commitment (I have a life and serious job)

High level of my career: Trying to finish LT15-3 by playing 500 games (almost) consecutively and failing. (total number of scout maps was like 7-8) Due to failure I stopped playing.

Regards

On 11/4/2015, 12:38:27, OOPMan said:

I suppose. I never really got into it :-)

CCP still hasn't quite figured out how to demonstrate to new players that the most valuable commodity in the game is someone sitting at a PC, capable of following basic instructions.   If newbies think that all there is for them to do is laser rocks, do stupid missions, and be poor, then there is a problem.

People think they're useless without huge ships and years of skill training.  The same sort of mindset drives people to hang out in "safe" space, convincing themselves that they'll actually go out and play after one more ship/skill/module.

10 hours ago, Embiggener said:

CCP still hasn't quite figured out how to demonstrate to new players that the most valuable commodity in the game is someone sitting at a PC, capable of following basic instructions.   If newbies think that all there is for them to do is laser rocks, do stupid missions, and be poor, then there is a problem.

People think they're useless without huge ships and years of skill training.  The same sort of mindset drives people to hang out in "safe" space, convincing themselves that they'll actually go out and play after one more ship/skill/module.

I'm probably not the target audience tho. I mean, I don't really play MMOs (WoT, etc aren't really MMOs after all...)

The time I did play EVE and went to low-sec space I got nuked by gate campers. It was fun, but not something I can see myself growing to enjoy (Being gate camped, that is :-)

On 10/31/2015, 4:52:55, TheQuagmire said:

"The meek will inherit the earth"

That's what this thread feels like to me.

Dallas though... I remember how you would just solo n' not do platoons lol.. now you do toon's and rage in ts <3

I have always raged in TS. That is nothing new.