OnboardG1

Tsar Battleship Nikolai

I picked this up today because I needed some prem time and the package suited me (cue massive whine about whale humping). I was also looking for another crew trainer for my Russian captain. Here are some first impressions:

Okay, first off it's disgustingly OP when top or middle tier. You're only facing baby carriers so the fact it has no AA just doesn't matter a lot of the time. What does matter is that it has average range for a T4, many guns of death, a decent spread (same as the Wyoming) and it's very survivable. What makes the ship though is the gun traverse arcs. You can keep 9 guns on almost any target at a good angle for receiving fire and then duck in to a great angle in about three seconds of turning. The shells are also in a really nice place where they don't overpen stuff but you get a lot of big semi-penetrating hits (I consistently scored 11k salvos against a NY at 12km) and they're very fast. The icing on the cake is the 12.8km detection radius, so you can sneak very close to the target (assuming no planes) and get a seriously painful alpha strike off. 

When bottom tier it's a bit harder (it hasn't got pref mm like the other T4 BBs) because you're badly outranged and you have no AA to withstand stuff like strike Ryos. Still, you're stealthy and the guns punch up really well. You see more T4s and 5s because they're more populous (and you can eat any T5 BB for breakfast). 

The bit downside is the speed, but because maps are quite small at T4 you don't feel this that often. It hurts on Ocean a lot, but again you have super low detectability.

The other downside is that it's (as usual) bundled up for the time being. Instinct suggests that this one is going to be a regular tech tree purchase soon but I needed the doubloons and my fire fighting flags were running a bit low, so I went for it. 

Would buy instantly. But EU....the unloved stepchild.

Edit: just checked again...and we actually got it! Did not have it yesterday.

Thanks for the reminder...it is mine now :) The signals stink though. Don't need them, I have more than I can use.

The signals are actually pretty useful on some ships. Fire fighting time is useful on any battleships (especially those under T6 which can't stack the module with the skill). Speed is good on super fast battleships like the Iowa and Bismark and DDs. The secondary one is really good when stacked with a secondary specced commander on something like a Nagato (or the Nikolai actually, since it has a good secondary battery).

Yeah, they are good, but I have so many xp, dreadnought and fireproof flags, that I could sell them :)

Usually I do not play 10 battles a day, but I get those flags every day. xp flag is confederate I think? When I play BBs I get those all the time.

Disappointed that it doesn't have preferential matchmaking, but I'm still interested in getting it if they ever bother selling it on NA.  I guess I'll see what the price ends up being, as I'd like to have a Russian battleship but already own the Arkansas and Ishizuchi.

I'm a sucker for battleships.

Arkansas, Ishizuchi, Warspite and Tirpitz, mean your new sister, uh, Nikolai. That didn't work.

Anyway, very nice AP shells. Fantastic fire angles. Plus the guns can mostly all swing around to the fore, so you can shift angle back and forth without dealing with the enormous traverse time.

It's Wyoming with much MUCH better gun angles. Also, triple turrets are more satisfying than doubles. Especially at that tier.

I don't have a feel for the secondaries yet – but there are a lot of them. Ditto on armour. It feels like it's well-armoured, but I've been so heavily angled that I can't tell. Someone 3dgamemodel the Tsar.

If this ship is a marker for the rest of the line, it looks like they're going to be AP biased.

I cannot express how amazing it is to have 9 guns that fire at a super hard angle off bow that all turn through the front. The ability to jink torps and shots while keeping 75% of your firepower on target is the stuff of BB wet dreams.

8 hours ago, bathoz said:

I'm a sucker for battleships.

Arkansas, Ishizuchi, Warspite and Tirpitz, mean your new sister, uh, Nikolai. That didn't work.

Russian ships are male. ;) 

No, obvious Nikolai is a male name (hence the 'uh'), but I didn't know that Russian ships were male. Though judging my the WGs translations for their videos, it would probably Battleship Imperator Nikolai. (And google points out that Russian ships are 'its').

And, also, no: a male name is no reason for the ship not to be female. Hood, Nelson, Rodney, Jean Bart, Washington, The Point, You Get It.

Played 3 games in it, but did not have much luck. Only once a T4 battle and huge maps too.

But I see how it can be fun. I am a bit dissapointed with the shell travel time, very slow for BB guns. Took a bit to get used to. Needs more leed.

The 3 front turning turrets are awesome of course.

56 minutes ago, OnboardG1 said:

The velocity is only a tiny bit slower than the Kongo's 14" guns and higher than Warspite's 15" guns. It's pretty comfy IMO

Then something else is throwing my aim off. I had to give may more leed than in the Warspite and Kongo is a completely different world.

Maybe I should not have downloaded el capitan for my Macbook while playing :disco:

On 03/11/2015 11:18:57, PrivateBert said:

Then something else is throwing my aim off. I had to give may more leed than in the Warspite and Kongo is a completely different world.

The Nikolai's AP has horrible air drag compared to anything else I've seen, so you may well be right about the travel time.

Yes I know ;)

Does not matter anyway as I always yolo straight in and then it is no problem anymore.

Rank #8 currently on EU in winrate, #22 in damage :)

Bad for you. The ship is totally OP.

It only has problems against CVs of higher tier (and DDs a bit). Everything else is no problem.

It can even compete against T6 BBs.

This thing is completely absurd.  Currently #6 in damage on the NA server, #25 in win rate.  Had an absolute beast of a game last night with 157k damage, 7 citadels, 6 kills... was called a hacker.  Good times!