PityFool

ARK: Survival Evolved

I started playing this several months ago alongside other things after I gave up on WoT. I had a thread on gamelabs but people stopped going there and my thread kinda died, so hopefully more people will post here. The game is a multiplayer survival game based around dinosaurs and weird creatures like that, there's extensive building capabilities, taming and riding dinosaurs, both modern and ancient weapons, huge raids and lots of fun. The game is still in an alpha stage (I believe) with the developers changing and updating extremely frequently, unfortunately there's a number of bugs and glitches that come as part of the alpha testing, the servers also tend to lag out for a few seconds occasionally. The game is server based, so hacking is not much of an issue.. Obviously aimbots are still possible but things like speed/dinosaur damage/gun damage/etc can't be altered.

About a month ago I finished upgrading my base, I had to take this screenie without all the dinosaurs because it was just too cluttered with green text all over the place... 

Spoiler

2015-10-14_00001_zpsnx6otcqj.jpg

2015-10-14_00002_zpso4gv4vn4.jpg

I've just finished the main structure, which I thought I'd show you. [Redacted] (some members here are on the same server) I also need to paint the thing.. Haven't decided on that yet.

Who else is playing?

I have the game and would love to play. Been playing since the game was first released, but got tired of it right before the Swamp update came out. 

4 minutes ago, Masterpupil2 said:

I have the game and would love to play. Been playing since the game was first released, but got tired of it right before the Swamp update came out. 

Oh cool, that was pretty recent. I haven't been online in a few weeks because I've just been too busy with exams but definitely going to get back into it within the next week or so. Were you in a tribe or solo? Which server? I played solo for a fairly long time until I joined a tribe which has actually bumped up the enjoyment quite significantly.

2 minutes ago, FixerReloaded said:

pity, are you bad at this game too?

I am terrible, I can't even use a parachute properly.

14 minutes ago, PityFool said:

Oh cool, that was pretty recent. I haven't been online in a few weeks because I've just been too busy with exams but definitely going to get back into it within the next week or so. Were you in a tribe or solo? Which server? I played solo for a fairly long time until I joined a tribe which has actually bumped up the enjoyment quite significantly.

Played with 4 IRL friends and we ended up becoming allies with the top tribe on the server that wanted to see us grow. We all got bored of the game because the grind to build bases is just so fucking boring sometimes, and that's when the second-biggest tribe raided our shit and destroyed everything.

I realized the Bronto I spent 8 hours taming died, so I ragequit the game for a while. Seriously, the taming system in that game is unbelievably stupid. 

@Masterpupil2

The whole game is balanced around forcing you to be in a tribe, for example the engrams, you cannot learn them all so you need people in your tribe to specialize. Taming is the same, take turns watching the tames. I'm assuming you used berries? Kibble is far more effective ;)

But yea, the tribe I'm part of is the dominant one on the server. My 2 brothers and I built that base in the OP over about ~3 weeks. I calculated the amount of resources and it was something around 50k metal ingots and 20k cementing paste. To be fair, that base is just ridiculously big... easily the biggest full metal base on our server atm.

As for the tribe hierarchy, the most important thing is to fly under the radar for as long as possible. Top level tribes will basically help you out and pretend to be all friendly and such, but what they're really doing is just fattening you up for a raid, so when the time comes that they decide you're big enough to be worth raiding, RIP. While you're growing, keep your bases small but tough to break in, so metal structures and lots of honeycombing, spread your resources over multiple bases. Basically what you want to do is make it very expensive to raid you, compared to what they'll steal from you. Be friendly and helpful, just to protect yourself from grudge raids. Focus on defending yourself against raids with everything you do, from the location of a base right down to its core design. Tame T-rexs and spino's as your main war force, keep them out of sight. You want to appear as small and insignificant as possible, for example placing turrets outside is useful but displays a level of "we're big boys now"... Place them inside your base first, its much harder for them to use bronto's to soak turret damage when the turret is inside a room and gets very annoying when there's 1 or 2 in each room. There's also the surprise factor ;) 

There's so much we can discuss about it, its pretty intense when you're trying to climb the ladder of tribes.

Edited by PityFool

A friend and I bought the game early September and had a lot of fun with it. We played co-op on our own server that I hosted so never tried PvP (didn't like the idea of someone coming while we were offline and taking everything).

It was fun but... as soon as you get a high level T-rex, nothing is a threat. Survival then just becomes 'make sure you got enough food and water and laugh at the dinos'. Not much in the endgame in PvE other than that Broodmother fight.

Still, early in development yet so it has quite a bit of potential.

Building-resource grind is a pain in the ass, too.

21 minutes ago, PityFool said:

@Masterpupil2

The whole game is balanced around forcing you to be in a tribe, for example the engrams, you cannot learn them all so you need people in your tribe to specialize. Taming is the same, take turns watching the tames. I'm assuming you used berries? Kibble is far more effective ;)

But yea, the tribe I'm part of is the dominant one on the server. My 2 brothers and I built that base in the OP over about ~3 weeks. I calculated the amount of resources and it was something around 50k metal ingots and 20k cementing paste. To be fair, that base is just ridiculously big... easily the biggest full metal base on our server atm.

As for the tribe hierarchy, the most important thing is to fly under the radar for as long as possible. Top level tribes will basically help you out and pretend to be all friendly and such, but what they're really doing is just fattening you up for a raid, so when the time comes that they decide you're big enough to be worth raiding, RIP. While you're growing, keep your bases small but tough to break in, so metal structures and lots of honeycombing, spread your resources over multiple bases. Basically what you want to do is make it very expensive to raid you, compared to what they'll steal from you. Be friendly and helpful, just to protect yourself from grudge raids. Focus on defending yourself against raids with everything you do, from the location of a base right down to its core design. Tame T-rexs and spino's as your main war force, keep them out of sight. You want to appear as small and insignificant as possible, for example placing turrets outside is useful but displays a level of "we're big boys now"... Place them inside your base first, its much harder for them to use bronto's to soak turret damage when the turret is inside a room and gets very annoying when there's 1 or 2 in each room. There's also the surprise factor ;) 

There's so much we can discuss about it, its pretty intense when you're trying to climb the ladder of tribes.

I used berries before kibble was a thing. :(

Just now, Zezti said:

A friend and I bought the game early September and had a lot of fun with it. We played co-op on our own server that I hosted so never tried PvP (didn't like the idea of someone coming while we were offline and taking everything).

It was fun but... as soon as you get a high level T-rex, nothing is a threat. Survival then just becomes 'make sure you got enough food and water and laugh at the dinos'. Not much in the endgame in PvE other than that Broodmother fight.

Still, early in development yet so it has quite a bit of potential.

Building-resource grind is a pain in the ass, too.

Yea PvE is pretty lame, in PvP we farm the broodmother for chitin... Lure it into a pen and then just harvest the little mini spider things it shits out with a saber, there's no real fight from it. PvP keeps the game fresh as you actually have equal fights. The new dodo-rex thing is supposedly pretty insane though, has something like 660k HP. 

1 minute ago, Masterpupil2 said:

I used berries before kibble was a thing. :(

RIP you. We had a couple very high level plesiosaurs that took fucking ages to tame, but when the swamp update came out they vanished under the map, GFG.

Hoho quit the game because of this game. I'm terrible at this, I keep yoloing into things and losing valuable shit

Just now, PityFool said:

I'm pretty proud of that fact.

BUT PLAYING TANKS WITH YOU WAS SO FUN!

On the ark topic, I am kinda biased against it for 3 reasons. 1: it stole Pity, Jacg123, and Wazoo117 from me. 2: my brother plays it (on my steam account) and it almost ALWAYS takes him an hour of "finishing up" for him to get his damn ass off it to let me go on, and 3: its early access, and after DayZ SA anything early access can go fuck itself. Ill buy it when its released properly. so yeah. But tbh It doesnt look very interesting to me, i guess i just dont find the scavanging/base building/sandbox style games interesting (also i've watched my brother play it, the FPS is cancer. And some of the animations look horrible)

2 minutes ago, PityFool said:

I heard a few CHAI lads started playing, which server do they play on?

Not sure but they played in a few, got to the top and kinda moved around. Definitely NA, but maybe some other ones in Asia. Terry ragequit because someone suicided his T-rex lol.

Just now, Assassin7 said:

BUT PLAYING TANKS WITH YOU WAS SO FUN!

On the ark topic, I am kinda biased against it for 3 reasons. 1: it stole Pity, Jacg123, and Wazoo117 from me. 2: my brother plays it (on my steam account) and it almost ALWAYS takes him an hour of "finishing up" for him to get his damn ass off it to let me go on, and 3: its early access, and after DayZ SA anything early access can go fuck itself. Ill buy it when its released properly. so yeah. But tbh It doesnt look very interesting to me, i guess i just dont find the scavanging/base building/sandbox style games interesting (also i've watched my brother play it, the FPS is cancer. And some of the animations look horrible)

The developers still have a lot of work to do, not just in terms of improving optimisation and such, but there's still an absolute shitload of content to add afaik, vehicles, more dinos, siege weapons, and heaps they haven't announced. I don't know when the release date is planned but its gotta be a long time away.

Once you get beyond the initial stage of being food for everything, you join a tribe and it becomes a battle of controlling and farming resources, taming dino's and building your empire, not so much the scavenging game like dayz.

Just now, adi said:

Not sure but they played in a few, got to the top and kinda moved around. Definitely NA, but maybe some other ones in Asia. Terry ragequit because someone suicided his T-rex lol.

Lol, it can be a little rage inducing when someone else gets a dino killed, in my tribe we just have a rule that you don't get angry, the person who got it killed is expected to replace it with something equal or better.

Bought the game, got killed on my first 2 runs, started again, got to a very decent point for a first day playing it, got rob, killed, and ended up quitting quite pissed.

Also: rip spawning right next to a monstrous carnivore on my first re-spawn.

28 minutes ago, blackzaru said:

Bought the game, got killed on my first 2 runs, started again, got to a very decent point for a first day playing it, got rob, killed, and ended up quitting quite pissed.

Also: rip spawning right next to a monstrous carnivore on my first re-spawn.

You're going to get rekt often when you start out, as I mentioned earlier, you're the bottom of the food chain when you start playing. Basically the goal is to level up asap and research stone building materials, once you have that then people need explosives to raid you and it becomes too expensive. When you build a base out of wood (or god forbid.. thatch :eww:) they can use dino's to very quickly destroy it. Pro-tip: Make a bow and shoot birds, they take 4x damage from ranged weapons and reward a nice amount of XP so you can level up quite quickly. Also if you see an alpha t-rex or raptor/carno, let people know in chat and they'll bring dino's to kill it, stay nearby and you'll get a shitload of XP when it gets killed.

Edit: Forgot to mention, where you build is also extremely important in determining if and how often you get raided, I can elaborate on that more if you would like.

Edited by PityFool

I would love to play this game in a PvE environment, I never bought it since AFAIK the pure PvE servers are just private stuff. I don't want all my work to be destroyed by a nolifer that comes @3 in the morning to kill all my dinos.

I follow the game development trough a youtuber (slipgator, quite a funny guy) and the more I watch, the more I like it. Still the PvP "problem" remains :(

You see I am quite the opposite, I would very quickly lose interest in the game if I was playing PvE... I'd get bored stiff. I've never played on any official PvE servers so I can't comment on that, however you should be able to host your own non-dedicated and just play on that if you want.