Coordinator

Talk to me about the T-90.

I just got into AW a few days ago and I've been playing on a casual basis. I have a couple of tier 4s and a slew of tier 3s in pursuit of the MBT lines. Naturally I've been looking at the "end results" of the lines I'm grinding up, as far as tier 8 tanks can be end results. When I saw the T-90's stats I had to do a double take. Why is it so much better than every other tier 8 MBT? The listed stats are ridiculous. It has

• anywhere from 50-100 more penetration and damage as other MBTs while having the same reload time
  • a HEAT round with almost as much penetration as the other tanks' AP rounds
  • ATGMs as well, just in case?
  • The same acceleration as the M1 albeit a lower top speed

What the fuck am I reading? Where's the downside? Is the entire turret a weak point? Do the stats lie? Are the T-72s/T-80 so bad that they offset it? Does it have a 20% chance to spontaneously explode when you fire (it would probably still be really strong and WG has taught me to like RNG anyway)?

Explain this tank to me, it doesn't make any sense on paper.

well im currently at the T-72... its a struggle. Armor seems super weak, even in PvE. Great Alpha but KV-2 style aim time. I have been trying PvP in it without great success. Tier 6 MBT's just rape me all day long, oh and your blind as fuck, so everyone and there mother out spots you. The power gap between tier 5 & 6 MBT's just seems insane.

I feel like a xp pinyata in my T-90 when facing other T8 MBT's. They seem to have no problem hitting my multiple weakspots, and i have issues hitting theres.

Could be a L2P issue granted, but i hear a lot of complaints/whine.

It may have been stealth nerfed similarly to the XM1, since it was touted as invincible as well for the first couple of weeks. What kind of pleb plays MBTs anyway? :doge:

People are saying how its lower plate is cheese but the fact that I have to carefully aim with my M1A1 Abrams(top AP) and yet bounce half of my shells on his lower plate because it's just so fucking troll, cupolas are also really troll plus you can pen its upper plate on one spot but that's with really careful aiming.

I've witnessed whole T90 platoons just yolo rushing flanks and succeeding by just wrecking everything because most of the guns in the game can't reliably pen it's microscopic sized lower plate especially when it's yolo rushing and doing dem dank moves.

I'm currently at the T72A which is total garbage IMHO but bless god that there's a PVE mode so that I can easily grind that tank without frustration in randoms as before you can aim you lose 95% of your hitpoints.

I have YET to get the T90 so I can compare it to my M1A1 Abrams and do a conclusion from there which tank works best. I can only know its downsides when I drive one, one I know of is the extremely weak side armor.

The T-90 is the fucking bane of all AFVs.

Just shoot it, you say, since it has such thin side and rear armor? Half my shots with 155-220 pen guns bounce at mid-short range, all of them bounce at long range.
Use missiles then, you say, since that will cut through it like butter? It has APS by default and is as good as completely immune to single-shot ATGMs.
Flank it then, you say, since it has such little HP and will die from an autocannon salvo? It can out turn literally any AFV in the game.
Camouflage kite it then, you say? It still has 0.17 base camouflage which is barely any worse than my Warrior or Ramka offer, despite the T-90 having hundreds of times more armor and 3-4 times the penetration with a HEAT round that does almost 1k damage with average rolls.
Just hope your team kills it, you say? In the majority of cases T-90 drivers are in a 3-man platoon with other T-90s and will intentionally go to the non-MBT flank just so they can massacre everyone.

The only thing that makes the T-90 bearable is that I can unlock the T-90MS from my Warrior with the upcoming tokens. Other than that, fuck this thing, it's more poorly balanced than the WT E on release.

16 hours ago, Mark_Chopper_Read said:

T72 is good if you use it like a TD for the first half of the game and push later.. its not a spearhead piece of armor until they fix the armor

It's a total disaster I can't even explain it with words.

After playing the whole day and spending gold to get 70k free exp because the T72A was so bad I finally managed to unlock the T80 and man, it's night/day difference so far. I've only done PVE to get my first HEAT ammo and the aiming module and already it's so fun to play. Very nimble, turret isn't sluggish it actually aims quite fast for the dmg it does and it even has some gun depression. So far I really like it and probs will even more after I get all the modules.

I guess I'll have the T90 next week or maybe even by this Sunday if I decide to play it a lot, and then I can give you the advice needed but I can already say that the T80 is indeed way better than the T7 M1 Abrams.

T-90 is pretty much the easiest t8 mbt to frontally penetrate due to the multiple weak points. The driver's hatch stands out quite clearly and is easy to penetrate and takes extra damage. The gun handling is bit meh but can be salvaged to reasonable levels with proper skills and retrofits. As for the APS it shooting down one missile every 45 seconds is hardly "completely immune" especially since the APS is on the front of the turret and quite easy to autocannon/he to bits. BMD-4 can damage t-90 reasonably well with missiles especially if one is distracted by other tanks. The sides are pretty much paper for anything and can be penetrated by at least bmd and wiesel autocannons by shooting under the skirts. ATGMs on mbts are highly situational weapons and are generally not worth the danger of being completely still for several seconds and HE missile in general is a bad joke of a substitute of HESH. Being a moron and spamming HE at everything can work surprisingly well though if your aim is bad due to occasional 400 dmg roll. At least M1A1 Abrams comes reasonably close when it comes to the gun and it has 1k more hp (for now anyway), superior armor and pretty good mobility and is, in my opinion, the best t8 mbt at the moment. The high penetration values are frontally almost irrelevant though, the only difference I've noticed 600mm of ap pen makes is that you have a chance of penetrating M1 abrams and un-upgraded M1A1 LFP if the angle is good and the range is close and penetrating side armor at great angles. Frontally the difference between 400mm and 600mm of penetration is nowhere as great as one would think as they still can't penetrate the strong points and both go through the weak spots just as well. 

Tldr; T90 is good but the line is bit painful as is the stock grind (on aw standards). M1A1 is better though. 

I'm at the T-80, a godsend after the T-72A, but I have yet to get into the T-90. When I'm facing them, their issue seems to be very weak side armor and low hitpoints. Frontally, I think they are tough because the weakspots are quite small. It's only about the lower third of the lower glacis that is easy-ish to pen.

So in a MBT, as long as you aren't engaging a T-90 directly from the front, you can wilt it pretty quickly. That said, it hits like a truck. Definitely seems to be a very nice tier 8 MBT.

Needs SirFoch "Is it worth the grind?" video, is he playing AW?

Yes, he is. Or at least he was.

Remember, this Vid is by Sir Foch and it is about two weeks old.

He just doesn't stream it very often because he seems to have a rule where he never streams AW if Circon is streaming it at the time, and Circon seems to be streaming it a lot.  He plays it all the time off stream though.

Looks like the T72's and T80 are gettin some luv in the next patch, don't know how much of an improvement it will be but looks like I will grind this as my first T8.

On 02/11/2015, 12:29:41, Coordinator said:

I just got into AW a few days ago and I've been playing on a casual basis. I have a couple of tier 4s and a slew of tier 3s in pursuit of the MBT lines. Naturally I've been looking at the "end results" of the lines I'm grinding up, as far as tier 8 tanks can be end results. When I saw the T-90's stats I had to do a double take. Why is it so much better than every other tier 8 MBT? The listed stats are ridiculous. It has

• anywhere from 50-100 more penetration and damage as other MBTs while having the same reload time
  • a HEAT round with almost as much penetration as the other tanks' AP rounds
  • ATGMs as well, just in case?
  • The same acceleration as the M1 albeit a lower top speed

What the fuck am I reading? Where's the downside? Is the entire turret a weak point? Do the stats lie? Are the T-72s/T-80 so bad that they offset it? Does it have a 20% chance to spontaneously explode when you fire (it would probably still be really strong and WG has taught me to like RNG anyway)?

Explain this tank to me, it doesn't make any sense on paper.

HEAT penetration is alone no indicator of how effective at penetrating it is. Most armoured vehicles at that tier have composite armour and/or shaped charge protection that causes the SC armour adjustment values to sky rocket.
The T-90 has real best mode Alpha with the HEAT/HE rounds against lightly armoured targets though hence its well deserved reputation as an AFV/Light Tank killer.

The T-72 tanks have serious armour model issues including a 0mm Mantlet hole which should be fixed soon. I don't even play my T-72 Ural in PVE because it is swiss cheesed all the time.