Sapros

Close range aggressive play?

I'm just curious if anyone else feels the same or I just need to stop sucking.

I have all tier 5 MBT's in my garage, and very close to 2 T6s. While I'm reasonably happy with their stats, I feel I utterly suck in all of them except maybe the Leo.

Unless I play like a coward and leave others to take the hits while I just farm damage from the back, I barely make my own HP in damage done. 

Does the game heavily favor defensive play? Each time I attempt to play aggressively, I get demolished. Best I can hope for is trade HP with an enemy MBT then just die like a moron. I can never land snapshots. Also sidescraping/baiting shots rarely works for me. Exposing any tiny bit seems to get me damaged.

Basically I can't brawl worth a damn. And it pisses me off since it was one aspect in WoT I actually enjoyed.

How do you guys cope?

2 hours ago, X3N4 said:

I dug something out for you on how to brawl.

It basically covers everything unicums do in a brawl.

Is this still just as applicable to AW though? Personally I found that some of these tactics don't work as well as they did in WoT.

Edited by Flaksmith

Interesting and insightful, thanks for linking it.

Essentially I should be more selfish, let pubbies take the hits instead of my (fail) armor, and focus on farming damage. 

I'd still like to hear how's snapshotting working for you, also armor angling/sidescraping. 

"Fair" fights nearly always result in HP trading for me and that's really annoying... the only way to avoid the damage is moving around in hope the other guy gets screwed by the crappy netcode/shot delay.

Yes game is that campy. Typical match flow:

1) Both teams camp

2) Team 1 gets impatient and tries to push. Team 1 gets farmed by campers

3) Team 2 rolls over Team 1 thanks to tank advantage.

Only that airfield map allows agressive pushing IMHO, there its possible thanks to map design. But most other maps are catered for bush camping

It might change in higher tiers as MBT's get soo much armor but then it makes other classes less revelant, class balance seems to be best at lower tiers where all classes are usable more or less.

At tier 6, MBTs are only a little bit better than other tanks, and so every class is competitive.
At tier 7+, all non-MBT classes become redundant.
Also, I've found that aggressive pushes with wolfpack AFVs results in a victory in 8 out of 10 cases.

At tier 5, every mbt has really terrible armor. The Leo obviously but the m60 and t72 urual can still be penned by everything that it sees at its own tier (save for some afvs). You also have no defense against rockets at that tier, so whichever team plays more defensively usually wins the mbt fight. 

Tier 6 it's gets a bit better, I think the next patch is going to nerf the very broken xm1 which hopefully will put it on the same level as the 2av and the t72, but that remains to be seen. 

To answer your question directly, yes, at that tier, whoever plays the best defensive game usually wins.

The XM1 has already been stealth nerfed. Its LFP was made much weaker.
It's still broken if you ask me. Go hull down and there's very little anyone can do to you.
I have no trouble whatsoever penning the M1 and the M1A1 in the side with same-tier autocannons, but I can't even scratch the XM1's side armor even with a 2 tiers higher autocannon.
Same with ATGMs, the XM1 has better protection against them than both the tanks after it. Maybe except the M1A1 because it gets APS.

Speaking of the XM1, I am finding the gameplay cancerous.

I think my average damage is lower than the M60A3.

Basically brawling now means missing tiny weakspots because of the shot delay while being spammed with 200-300dam HE shells. Or just get penned by heat in the lower plate if terrain won't allow me to hide it. So once again, if I'm very lucky, I do my HP in damage then die like an idiot. 

OR, I hang back, let pubbies spot, and get abuse for camping like I've never gotten in years of WoT. I do damage, but in the end it's me against someone with actual vision most likely, so I'm fucked anyway unless they're very stupid.

Is this what I can expect from the game in higher tiers as well? Becase I might as well save myself the frustration if that's the case.