Britzz

How do I Sheridan?

(First light tank poast hype!)

Hello guys!

I recently started playing AW and while it feels like WoT, it's very different in it's own fashion. I love the game and so far I reached 3 tier 4s while having pretty much all of the tier 3s available. I'm prioritizing getting all the commanders first, so you might imagine what I'm trying to play (arty will be done in PvE I think).

Well the Sheridan is one of the tanks i unlocked and one of the T4s I'm playing more often together with the LAV-300. A brief introduction to the tank and what I think about it:
- Derpy gun with a lowish DPM, it can aim for ages
- Good HEAT pen, great rockets pen
- Camo rating and vision (even with lvl 5 Sabrina) feel lackluster
- Not the fastest vehicle I've driven, but it's certainly not slow.

My playstyle in this thing has been either to derp someone in the face while they are reloading, aka brawl in second line with MBTs or try to flank. I feel like this tank gets outspotted quite easily by any AFV it encounters and that the aimtime+shell velocity are just too bad to get some good shots in from range, since anyone with a brain will retreat behind cover once they get spotted: you are either preaiming there or you will not be able to shoot.

I tried the rockets with some success, but the abysmal time it takes for them to hit the target + the fact you get spotted quite often after firing them and u need to stay still to aim them is kind of a problem to me.

I feel like I'm playing this tank wrong, though. Every game I have I feel like I could have done better, but I can't really recognize what I did wrong. Let's say that 1-1.2k dmg in the sheridan feels like I'm doing nothing.

So... How do you play your Sheridan? What retrofits are you using? (Bear in mind I don't have much unlocked at the moment since I just started) Any suggestion will be appreciated!

39 minutes ago, Britzz said:

snip

free exp it. if you played it in closed beta you wouldnt even be able to look at it now. that said it does have good alpha for its tier

Well I've played the starship but i can tell you, take advantage of the light tank class ability to not lose bloom from low speed movement, to help you peak a boo, ATGM sniping is always risky if you get spotted just drop the missle and run, HEAT rounds will always be your bread and butter, HE rounds are great for annoying tanks in Hull Down positions. You've got smoke grenades and 3 of them use them well, the Speed boost save it for rough terrain.  

Ok, for now what I gathered is:

- Ambush playstyle
- Low speed peek a boom

I didn't know about the LT ability of not loosing bloom (shame on me!), I will try to use that to my advantage!
I guess that what goes against me right now is the bad map knowledge and line of fire knowledge. This doesn't help me getting those good shots in.

On the topic of smoke granades, I tried to use them but I do not understand if they get you insta despotted or not: do they act like soft cover and provide you additional camo so u go dark with normal timing or u just go dark instantly (or after a defined amount of time) no matter what if the smoke is placed between you and the tank spotting you?

smoke grenades break line of sight on where you deploy them from your turret direction, if another enemy is spotting you from a different direction not covered by smoke you will still be spotted. If you still shoot from inside the smoke your shot will be rendered still allowing a smart enemy to track the origin of your shot and fire back accurately. 

5 hours ago, Britzz said:

(arty will be done in PvE I think).

please god... dont. Arty in PvE is so useless, and only works on a few maps. It is the only line that i am such free exp'ing past.

You PVE the Sheridan. It would be decent if it had the same accuracy as the starship, but no, it's about half the accuracy, probably the least accurate cannon in the game.

And for the love of SerB don't PVE arty unless you're in a 5 man platoon, you're gonna piss off your teams and make the grind longer because you'll be generaly useless.

21 minutes ago, Shackram said:

And for the love of SerB don't PVE arty unless you're in a 5 man platoon, you're gonna piss off your teams and make the grind longer because you'll be generaly useless.

There is no SerB in AW! :serb:

Btw yes, I think I will try not to play in PvE unless platooned. I only played arty once in PvE, I guess your point of being useless makes sense.

And is this Sheridan really so bad you would advice to just PvE it?! I mean I didn't play many T4s so I don't really know how painful this could be compared to other tanks

I have been trying the slow-poke blap in the face tactic and it seems solid! The lack of bloom can be worked out aiming while still in cover and going out to take a shot without getting the bloom to open!

Got a few more consistent results like this, will try to keep you up with the improvements if there is any :) 

4 hours ago, Britzz said:

There is no SerB in AW! :serb:

Btw yes, I think I will try not to play in PvE unless platooned. I only played arty once in PvE, I guess your point of being useless makes sense.

And is this Sheridan really so bad you would advice to just PvE it?! I mean I didn't play many T4s so I don't really know how painful this could be compared to other tanks

Can't say anything about the Sheridan as I'm only at the Scorpion, but light tanks in general seem to be quite underpowered atm.

As for arty in PVE, I believe it's fine IF you cherry-pick the missions that have open maps, and your team isn't a complete failure and just runs straight into the bots, carrying is definitely not reliably possible. My PVE winrate is 95% in tanks, 87% in arta (without any platooning).

Missions that I personally think are ok for arty: Cavalry, Onyx, Phalanx, Quarterback, Scorpio, Wildfire.

Never lost a pve, I intend maintaining my 100% wr despite my pubbies being awful :P

And breeze, yes compared to my afv and lav-300 both the lights i've driven feel lackluster... This thing of the bloom helped me quite a bit though, i can now semireliably derp ppl in the face

I started the LT line cuz i personally enjoy LTs in WoT, little did i know..

If you want Wot's LT equivalent in AW go for the AFVs more specifically the Fox line, some people don't like it because it's wheeled and i must agree it's difficult to control at first, but once you get how it works, boy that shit is OP as fuck.

After unlocking the bagelpanzer i thought I might give you a small report of how I changed my playstyle to fit the Sheridan and how it worked out in the end.

Biggest weknesses:
- Long reload time
- Derpy accuracy

Biggest advantages:
- High alpha dmg
- High pen for a heat round
- Doesn't lose bloom if you move slowly (thanks to @LeoAegisMaximus for this tip)

First and foremost, this isn't a tank that likes sitting in the open: make sure you ALWAYS have cover to retreat back to. The long reload time and the large shilouette will make you a sitting duck if you get caught in the open, having no armour this situation will most likely get you killed, doesn't matter if you are full HP.
FEAR the AFVs, one of those clips can cripple you to death, you have no armour to bounce their AP rounds and your DPM is utter garbage. Never face an AFV if you can't one shot him.
Try maximizing your alpha DMG using the right retrofits if available, refer to this topic for further info on stacking the effects. Your reload will never be competitive, don't try to make it better. Sabrina worked well for me, some other commander might be better, but I didn't have a chance to try them all.
Playstylewise I tried to get into an initial position where I will be in medium range from the MBTs while still having cover to retreat to after I fired, medium range allowed me to spot for myself and to lessen the derpyness of the gun. Your first position should always be an ambush position, do not try to go for a spot run: your camo is barely enough and the view range isn't that good either. Any AFV will outspot you. Look for firing lanes that are limited to your max view range, minimizing the risk of getting spotted without spotting the enemy tank back. Initial deployment and the first ambush are really important in this tank, with your 400-500 alpha dmg, capitalizing on your first shot becomes vital: you can cripple an MBT or leave an AFV or TD to such a low HP he will have to be passive for the rest of the game.
Once your initial ambush is done, try to find another spot for another ambush, use the mobility to get into another alley. If you do not spot this opportunity, regroup with the MBTs and wait for the situation to deploy. After you spot the battlelines that are formed it's your time to go into action: use the mobility to (possibly) stealthly go to a flanking position and stop right BEFORE you poke. Let the bloom go down and after you are fully aimed start moving slowly. If you poke slowly like this you will have a guaranteed shot, the aimtime will not influence you anymore. After you fired, retreat ASAP, use the E button to get a boost if needed and get the hell out of there to find another target. Smoke granades can help you in undesired encounters while trying to get to a flanking position or while retreating if you are too much in the open. I found that the despotting effect works almost instantly: pop the smoke and take a sharp turn to get the enemies to miss you behind the smoke wall. Rinse and repeat untill the enemies are thinned out.
Endgame cleanup is going to be trade after trade with enemy tanks, your alpha dmg will always let you end on top of a trade, use this to cleanup effectively.
I rarely used ATGMs, only case where I use them is a long range engagement, where ATGMs can be useful since they have good pen and are not affected by derpy accuracy so much. Only targets I had to fire ATGMs to are hulldown T64s and M60s sometimes. Higher tier MBTs can be a pain as well: remember you have a high caliber HE round, that thing can wreck havoc on hull down tanks :)

In the end I must say I enjoyed this tank, the suggestions in here were extremely useful, expecially the slow-poking "manouver" got me to hit stuff reliably. Thanks to everyone, I hope this last post isn't redundant, I tried to give my point of view on the tank played in the PvP environment :)

I tried swapping Sabrina for Juan. It turns out his reload doesn't help much and Sabrina's camo is actually important. With her at least MBTs can't see you too easily.

Also, make sure to avoid being close to an enemy AFV. Even the spots that in theory have hard cover between you. There will always be that guy who pushes into several guns to drop a clip into you and wreck your day. lfmf

IMO the Sheridan is the most incorrectly played tank in all of AW. That is one of the reasons why it is one of my favorites - it's fun to kick ass in a tank most people think is awful.

I have ~185 battles in my Sheridan, ~65% win rate, over 1.7 kpg, and ~1900 dpg.

You want to be opportunistic with this tank, but you don't want to brawl with it unless you have to. This tank has good mobility and 3 smokes, so you can flex and get 1st-shot opportunities on tanks, then pull back, using smoke if you're at meaningful risk of getting hit

You can get the Sheridan's accuracy spread down from 0.27 to under 0.10 with the correct retrofits and crew skills. I have 0.06 accuracy with it, with a level 5 crew (Marksman skill on Gunner), Augmented Breech Lock Mk 3, Intercom Mk 3, Food, and Max. If you don't have ABL yet, use CBL instead (Mk 2 is easy to get from tier 5 Leo 1A5).

You do NOT want to aim in on a tank that is already pre-aiming at you. You will get out-aimed, and even if you do manage to trade, trading is dumb.

You do NOT want to spot with this tank, unless you're facing MBTs with inferior vision, and you have hard cover to pull back behind immediately after firing.

Last but not least, if you are firing ATGM mostly, you're doing it wrong.

Is it wrong that I'm sniping with ATGMs in this thing? Because I've got it not too long ago, preferred using the missiles at the first MBT that I see at 300+ meters since brawling isn't an option. I wind up getting 2 or 3 hits in on them before I get destroyed.

Is it wrong that I'm sniping with ATGMs in this thing? Because I've got it not too long ago, preferred using the missiles at the first MBT that I see at 300+ meters since brawling isn't an option. I wind up getting 2 or 3 hits in on them before I get destroyed.

ATGMs aren't needed. The HEAT shells have enough pen for a tier 4 tank and don't require you sit around waiting for someone to kick your ass while they dawdle towards the target.

On 1/5/2016 at 3:04 PM, taugrim said:

IMO the Sheridan is the most incorrectly played tank in all of AW. That is one of the reasons why it is one of my favorites - it's fun to kick ass in a tank most people think is awful.

I couldn't agree more.  This thing has fit my play style more than any other tank I've played, with the BMD-2 being a close second.  My ping is absolutely terrible since their shit server are also in shit locations, I can't imagine how much more derping I could do without the major rubber banding.  I loved the Starship and loved that pubbies hated it and thought it weak.  The Sheridan has been loads more fun than the Starship.  I thought it plays very similar to the WoT 13-90/batchat concept of hit, run and reload.  Sure it's basically the T-49, but in AW it's so much more reliable.  It helps that tier 4 match making has been decent lately.  I do seem to have trouble on River Point getting hits with the ranges necessary to not MBT brawl.  But Pipelines and Port seem great for spotter/anti-spotter work. 

Yes, the damage on the ATGM's seems to make them impractical.