Describe your ideal training program to take a player from 300ish w8 to "average" green w8 in the following cases

1) no desire to do cw/stronks 

2) desire to do cw/stronks.

Assume regularly playing tier 6, has only 2 tier 8's, running non premium account, cannot effectively watch streams due to buffering/crash issues, is an older player, slow learner, east coast ping aprox 100 to 200 varies in game as well as game to game.

be specific in methods and benchmarks used.

There is no real ideal as different stuff is better for diff people

Normally though at the very least if you can teach someone the game mechanics and game play basics, they should at the very least end up green ish

1. read wot wiki game mechanics

2. get to know maps

3. know your surroundings, think about actions and possibilities of you and others (tanks.gg are helpfull) (imagine looking at map like arty while playing a tank :serb: )

4. .....................

5. profit, insta deep purple. its not an art just my story. :doge:

Cry at 100 ping, cry a lot at 200 ping.

Can you (sorry can that player) watch youtube? Seven is really good. 

Find which tanks you can make work / profit with. Around tier 5/6 I would expect the FV304 for credits but the new Japanese are pretty strong as well.

Think of which trees you want to explore. I identified the following when I started but with strongholds it's changed a bit (tier 6 strongholds especially) but also some others (E5 buff).

For any competitive play the IS-7 line is pretty decent KV-85, IS-3, IS-7.  

E5 line has the M6 at 6 (mweh not the best but probably acceptable to callers) and the T32 (again a bit mweh but as far as I know acceptable as a stopper) going to the E5 at 10.

50 100 and 50B line I don't think the 50B is used much but I don't play clan wars and don't watch clan wars that often.

13 90 isn't used anymore I think but the Batchat still is

Russian Mediums at tier 10 are useful but you may want to go through the T-54 lwt (tier 8)8)8 ) which is used in team battles (I have never seen tier 8 medium Russians used, T69, Pershing sometimes)

Even if you're not interested in clan wars think of which tanks you want both short and long term.

Make the easiest steps first according to how much you REALLY want to improve.

1) Make sure to have appropriate hardware and network connection (small changes like buying AND using a cable for games instead of wireless can improve lag/unstable ping by a lot already).

2) Having environment, which doesn't make it worse like not handicapped by hardware -> stable 25-30+ fps and your connection allows you to play on stable <=40ms ping will make a lot of a difference. If you don't have it yet, try to get it, its easier and much less time consuming, than paying 5-10$/month more for better net.

3) Using cheap and IMO dumb excuses like running non-premium account is utter BS. You are from NA and not from a country, where you get few bucks per month payment, you can afford month of premium time by working 0.1-2h. You play this game in your spare time to have some fun. Cook once a month a healthy meal more yourself and don't spent it on fast food/alc/drugs/whatever-else and you got it already.

If you fix #3, you will be able to train your crews faster, progress from stock to fully researched tank faster, buy best equipment suitable for your tank, use some 5-20% prem shells load outs in your higher tiers in cases where you need to handle a tough target.

Having fixed issues above, will already allow you to boost your own performance by a LOT without you having to spend much studying at all.

If you don't want to improve your situation on at least 2 out of 3 points mentioned above, just forget about the whole idea, you don't really want to change that.

The rest is simple common sense advise, you can find everywhere: find 2-3 youtubers/streamers, who do guides/explain stuff. Read guides about tanks you are interested to play or even think which are OP/you are not sure how to fight them, to understand their strength/weakness. Make sure you know where to shoot every single enemy in the gun you have atm in your tank to reliably penetrate it. Watch tons of weak spot guides, invite a mate into a training room from time to time just to shoot at different weak spots to get what you learned from guides deeper into your brain or just to fight 1v1 and learn how to do it better. Pay attention to map locations for certain tanks your fav. tubers/streamers take and think about why they choose given location in different tank type by certain team set ups. Make sure your aiming is top notch, you know how to lead target, how to track/re-track enemies, in which tanks to angle, side-scrape, face or side hug, etc. Watch replay files by xp/damage/epic medals for tanks you enjoy playing. Stick to a certain tank and try to play only this one for at least 50-100 games, to focus better on tank specific strength/game play. Post some of your average games on forums and ask for advise at least once per month. Find a clan like sgta, which is there to help players to learn/improve. Google for guides/help/etc, participate in forum discussions about game mechanics/changes/game play. Put at least 25-50% of total game-play time to do steps mentioned above.

30 minutes ago, lazydot said:

Make the easiest steps first according to how much you REALLY want to improve.

1) Make sure to have appropriate hardware and network connection (small changes like buying AND using a cable for games instead of wireless can improve lag/unstable ping by a lot already).

2) Having environment, which doesn't make it worse like not handicapped by hardware -> stable 25-30+ fps and your connection allows you to play on stable <=40ms ping will make a lot of a difference. If you don't have it yet, try to get it, its easier and much less time consuming, than paying 5-10$/month more for better net.

3) Using cheap and IMO dumb excuses like running non-premium account is utter BS. You are from NA and not from a country, where you get few bucks per month payment, you can afford month of premium time by working 0.1-2h. You play this game in your spare time to have some fun. Cook once a month a healthy meal more yourself and don't spent it on fast food/alc/drugs/whatever-else and you got it already.

If you fix #3, you will be able to train your crews faster, progress from stock to fully researched tank faster, buy best equipment suitable for your tank, use some 5-20% prem shells load outs in your higher tiers in cases where you need to handle a tough target.

Having fixed issues above, will already allow you to boost your own performance by a LOT without you having to spend much studying at all.

If you don't want to improve your situation on at least 2 out of 3 points mentioned above, just forget about the whole idea, you don't really want to change that.

That's pretty much it, if you want to get better, you have to level the playing field...playing with that kind of ping you really have no hope of improving a whole lot, it's just too unstable, you cannot do the more precise things you need to b/c you shoot but the target is not where you really think it is etc etc.  If you fix 1 & 2, you can still improve without #3, it will just take a little longer. Right now, that kind of ping is holding you back probably more than anything. 

How many FPS are you playing the game at? Assume you are running minimum graphics settings? Wont change your ping. 

If the ping is constant, probably not much you can do, if it is intermittent, make sure none of your virus scans etc etc are set to run during the time you game. 

watch a lot of replays from the replay section. Ditto youtube vids. The micropositioning thread is also a good place to start at.

If you want a guide on how to train:

Pick a tanking style/line you want to focus on. 
Research (replays youtube) every tank thoroughly before you play it and learn it's weaknesses and strengths.
Stay in the tank longer than it takes to unlock the next one. raise your crew's perks ~50% before moving on to the next tank to make sure you know the tank and the playstyle well.
Try to never run a pure stock tank. Tracks/Gun researched first with free exp. (see above^)

Keep your accuracy around 60% or better. snap shots can be your friend, but running a server side reticle can save your life. Get one.

I was asked this question yesterday and answered it in part. I will expand on my answer a bit.

1, I think many people have mentioned it already, but go premium. It'll shorten stock grinds, you won't have to use suboptimal crews, loadouts and ammo etc due to credit constraints.

2. Speaking of which, save up free XP and skip stock grinds. Don't ever use free XP to unlock the next tank. Save it for stock modules.

3. 100 ping is playable if it doesn't have associated packet loss.

4. For a red player the first thing you need to work on basic shooting and aiming skills. Know your gun, the enemy's armor, and where to shoot it to pen. All too often you see 300-500 WN8 players bounce shot after shot off enemy tanks because they don't know where to aim

5. Once you feel comfortable with basic shooting and aiming, learn initial map deployments. Rexxie/Okeano's thread is a good place to start.

IF you are confident in aiming and shooting and initial map deployments, you should be approaching green level.

I'm currently going through the same sort of process and have been making steady progress over the last few months so here are my insights.

To put it in context, I started playing WoT in 2011 and ran up 1100 games then took a 4 year break.  When I came back my starting WN8 was in the mid 400's I think and I potatoed for a few months before I joined Wotlabs and started trying to actively learn from guides, discussions and videos.

Since June when I really started trying to improve i've gone from a 643 WN8 overall to 871 overall and 1200+ recent and I have days and weeks when I hold above 1500 (nothing to really brag about but its progress).

I am not in a clan and apart from a handful of platoon games with a much, much better buddy of mine I am pretty much 100% solo pubbing.

I run a premium account because well, I can afford it and I play tanks for fun and I'd rather not spend all year grinding past certain tanks.

1. Ping - I WISH for even low 100ish ping, I'd probably sacrifice a child for sub 100 but playing NA from Australia I make do with 160-200.  I miss/derp a fair number of shots because of it and have had to adapt to leading targets and knowing that a certain target will not appear in my sights for a fraction of a second even if i know he's coming out of cover. 

2. Know your strengths and weaknesses - I am not a fast, reactive thinker and yet I tend to play a little too aggressively. I suck at playing scouts and am fairly bad at mediums because I tend to race forward and run into things that kill me.  I have learned that I need to play tanks that can take a hit or two and survive to then remind me to back off a little and wait for the rest of the team to join the fight.  For this reason i tend to play a lot of German heavies, Russian heavies and German TDs. Your strengths and weaknesses might be completely different but you need to find out what they are and then choose your tanks to suit them until your skills develop.  I'm slowly getting better at mediums but still suck at scouts.

3. If you are trying to improve your gameplay then in each session pick a class of tank and work it for a good number of games.  Feeling like brawling? pick 1-2 heavy tanks and work them for a session rather than flipping between a scout, a TD and all your mediums.  Focused play can help immensely.  

4. Watch the minimap - nuff said

5. On each map try to become familiar with some good positions for each tank type.  It takes ages to learn all the maps and the positions for each tank type so at the moment if I drop into a certain map in a certain type of tank I tend to head for the same area where I know how to fight the map (unless of course the minimap says that is going to be a bad idea and then i'll take my chances).  Simple example, Himmelsdorf in a medium tank I always go hill.  If I am top tier TD or HT then i'll go to tank alley.  I know the cover and the angles there and can perform consistently.   Over time you can explore different parts of maps and give yourself more options.

6. Learn your own tanks and the common foes you will face.  Tier 6 - know where to shoot your common enemies.  easy example here, you will meet the Tiger 2, it has fairly good frontal armour but a shitty lower plate and an MG port.  Don't bounce 5 rounds off the upper plate when a 1/2 second more aiming will get you a pen on a weakspot.  If you do bounce a few shots of a tank then look it up on the weakspot guides or tank inspector and learn where to pen it next time.  I had horrendous trouble with the American tier 10s for a while because they have some troll lower plates (unlike my beloved German heavies).  Learn the reload times of the really big alpha tanks in your tier spread.  KV2 for example.  You want to know that if you see a KV2 fire that you have 16-18 seconds to pump a couple of shots into him before he can derp you.

There is a lot more but these are the things I try to work on.

Final bonus tip

Don't buy the new German TD - it's cancer with an added dose of herpes