Like QQ/QA a thread for small tips that don't deserve their own thread.

The retrofit unlocks are changing to a token system. So I'm holding off on unlocking the ones I'm not going to use right now. Then when they make the change I can unlock several tokens and get retrofits that I actually want.

I just finshed writing this in QQ/QA, I'll put it here as well, since I find it useful

When in arty:
Fire on the trajectory an enemy is likely to take to get cover once you shot and he sees the arty indicator. The obvious reaction to the incoming arty fire is to run for cover: use it to your advantage and out-think your opponent.

Something else regarding smoke:

I found myself not using the brakes ever in 20k games in WoT, I don't see a reason why I would use them here in place of the "S" key.
I binded the smoke granades to my spacebar, it gives me instant reactions when I get spotted in difficult occasions and it actually made me use the smokes in the first place. Having them binded with G was kinda awkward for me. Smoke saved my sorry ass in the sheridan multiple times and having it binded this way is an easy improvement over the standard.

On 11/10/2015, 7:20:25, Britzz said:

I just finshed writing this in QQ/QA, I'll put it here as well, since I find it useful

When in arty:
Fire on the trajectory an enemy is likely to take to get cover once you shot and he sees the arty indicator. The obvious reaction to the incoming arty fire is to run for cover: use it to your advantage and out-think your opponent.

To follow up on this for arty - Don't waste time doing counter battery.

I am serious. You can dump 4-6k damage on MBTs in a match, or waste all of your time trying to 3 shot an enemy arty. Play to win kids!

7 hours ago, Trobs said:

I am serious. You can dump 4-6k damage on MBTs in a match, or waste all of your time trying to 3 shot an enemy arty. Play to win kids!

B-But I must feast on the tears of enemy cancer

To actually contribute to this, it seems like treaded vehicles (tanks and the like) traverse faster if you move forward or backwards rather than just staying in place just like in War Thunder.

If I'm just spewing bullshit, though, feel free to correct me because this is anecdotal evidence here.

In an AFV, you can swap to your autocannon while still guiding your ATGM. So when you're shooting some targets, you can start unloading your autocannon if you're confident your missile will hit.
Be VERY careful when you do this though, if the target you're aiming at is below your normal autocannon gun depression, your sights will immediately readjust and your missile will fly off course.

6 hours ago, _WL said:

In an AFV, you can swap to your autocannon while still guiding your ATGM. So when you're shooting some targets, you can start unloading your autocannon if you're confident your missile will hit.
Be VERY careful when you do this though, if the target you're aiming at is below your normal autocannon gun depression, your sights will immediately readjust and your missile will fly off course.

Oh god this changes EVERYTHING once again! I can see my bagelpanzer do this, oh yes I can.

EDIT: ...Wait the bagelpanzer can do that as well, being a LT?

One more tip:

in an AFV you can target an enemy with the E button WHILE you are shooting at it. Use it to maximize the damage you do to a target: start shooting, press E while aiming at him and enjoy the effects of crit hits + targeting bonus.

7 hours ago, _WL said:

Really? I've seen people on the official forum complaining that this doesn't work in the Starship.

I also haven't been able to get designate to work while shooting.

Can't wait for training rooms to test crap like this properly.

17 hours ago, Trobs said:

I'll add an addendum to this.  If you notice an enemy arty who is staying still between shots, then counterbattery him because you'll get a penetrating hit and likely wreck his crew and modules.

If you only get the big map pings indicating they're moving, then keep contributing to real fights because you'll have a minimal effect with near misses on arties that nobody else is trying to kill.

2 hours ago, DracoArgentum said:

Really? I've seen people on the official forum complaining that this doesn't work in the Starship.

I also haven't been able to get designate to work while shooting.

Can't wait for training rooms to test crap like this properly.

It doesn't work on tanks like the starship because the ATGM fires through the main gun. It only works on tanks that have a missile tube separate from the main gun. So vehicles like the BMD line, Fox, and BagelPanzer.

What the hell do you guys do on that green hilly map with a ton of mountains in your artillery? Like I already didn't want to be playing this vehicle class, now I have to deal with the map too.

14 minutes ago, Coordinator said:

What the hell do you guys do on that green hilly map with a ton of mountains in your artillery? Like I already didn't want to be playing this vehicle class, now I have to deal with the map too.

If you mean the big green island with a fuckton of mountains I have the solution:
- go to one of the islands either north or south from spawn
- manage to click twice with relocating
- find no line of fire anymore
- try not to cry
- cry a lot
- go full retard and derp someone in the face.

That's what happened to me in the 2-3 games I had on that map in arty, at least

Lost Island is terrible for arty. I've been trying to make a video highlighting the arty mechanics in AW and I keep getting that fucking map. Seriously, 4 of my last 5 battles in arty were on the island.

18 hours ago, Coordinator said:

I haven't seen it in PvE.

I cruised through arty doing doubles in PvE for the T4 commanders and retros. Now that they have announced retrofits will become a token system I'm just going to wait for that before getting the Mk2 and 3 versions of the ones that are on arty atm.

Firing in AW is delayed by about 0.2 seconds. This means that autoaim will almost never hit a moving target. Enjoy.

I have found that in heavy urban environments you are better off to use AP rather than HEAT as the terrain is not as friendly to HEAT if you clip something. AP goes through most of the time and HEAT can get blocked.

5 hours ago, SturmJager21 said:

I have found that in heavy urban environments you are better off to use AP rather than HEAT as the terrain is not as friendly to HEAT if you clip something. AP goes through most of the time and HEAT can get blocked.

on this matter:
fences, tubes (these in particular), cars, brick walls, how the hell do they react to the shells? I see sometimes I go through, sometimes I don't. It's quite frustrating.

Almost always use AP unless you are in  brawl range shooting lowbies that can't stop HEAT. AP's velocity helps in mitigating that .2sec delay, and also gives FOX/VBL fits if they yoloed too hard. 

I only carry 10-12 heat shells, 2 HE if possible and the rest AP. (in Pubs, in PVE I run mostly Heat just for the damage since the AI is less likely to do smart things)

it is good to see most of the comments on AP over HEAT in any congested areas.

With just a few exceptions, my load outs are heavily AP.

HEAT is just to unreliable- it feels like- because of environment issues and so many tanks have ERA/APS to counter it. 

I know AW loves to blindly pitch that their ammo selections are more meaningful then WoT, but I am not feeling that in PvP so much.

Isn't it much more important to have a round ready that is more universal in it's likeliness to do dmg? And load the next one special if you have a reason? Which seems counter to the generic advice given on their website 

I do tend to use HEAT more often in PvE because it is so deterministic and you know you will be behind a spawn at the 2min mark....

1 hour ago, Bullroarerr said:

HEAT is just to unreliable- it feels like- because of environment issues and so many tanks have ERA/APS to counter it. 

I know AW loves to blindly pitch that their ammo selections are more meaningful then WoT, but I am not feeling that in PvP so much.

Isn't it much more important to have a round ready that is more universal in it's likeliness to do dmg? And load the next one special if you have a reason? Which seems counter to the generic advice given on their website 

I do tend to use HEAT more often in PvE because it is so deterministic and you know you will be behind a spawn at the 2min mark....

APS does nothing to HEAT.

AP is what I load by default. But I think its important to know that OF-40 HEAT goes right through a T-64's LFP. Knowing when HEAT will work is pretty much free damage.

I load a LOT of heat prior to Tier 5. Basically every tank is weak enough that HEAT will punch right through them.

Once you hit ERA, AP becomes the round of choice.

I have found that AP is the best round long rang and for leading targets. HEAT is really good once you are close. 

18 hours ago, Bullroarerr said:

9 hours ago, Trobs said:

I load a LOT of heat prior to Tier 5. Basically every tank is weak enough that HEAT will punch right through them.

Once you hit ERA, AP becomes the round of choice.